FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ??

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/07/14 16:01:20 (permalink)

FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ??

Has anyone else enjoyed the delicious albeit mysterious three-pack of either the oatmeal or "choco-chip" cookies made by Peggy Lawton?

No. Not the "Mod Squad's" Peggy Lipton...

...but Peggy Lawton as in Peggy Lawton Kitchens in Walpole, Massachusetts. In addition to being downright cheap (@ 50-cents for a three-pack), they're visually a fairly ubiquitous snack and often available in vending machines as well as pretty much a staple via Washington, D.C.'s street vendors but, boy, are they good!

The oatmeal cookies are more like a spice cookie with just the right amount of salt. The Massachusetts company does not have a website and a web search revealed only two things: (1) Peggy Lawton Kitchens is a frequently cited business on the subject of trade secret law; (2) and there's a fair amount of people whom are equally fans of this fine fare.

Anyone else out there?

81 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/07/14 16:29:59 (permalink)
    No, but that packaging looks like it could have been on the Mod Squad set...
    i95
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/07/14 16:36:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

No, but that packaging looks like it could have been on the Mod Squad set...

Exactly. As contemporary as this:

i95
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/07/14 16:38:23 (permalink)
    ...or this:

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/07/14 16:39:39 (permalink)
    Nah, more like this...

It's gotta be the hair!
    i95
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/07/14 17:14:21 (permalink)
    Gotcha. More like this:

Now we're on the same trip.
    sweetj95
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/07/22 15:10:08 (permalink)
    LOVE the Peggy Lawton Cookies. Love.
    rosest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/08/05 21:40:16 (permalink)
    I grew up in Newton, Mass (many, many years ago). I loved the Peggy Lawton Chocolate Chip cookies, but when I moved to NJ about 30 years ago I could not find them anywhere here. A few years ago I discovered that the closest place to here to get them is the Mobil station on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich, CT. Now, whenever we go to New England, I stock up on the way home just before entering NY. One time, we bought 20 packages, cleaning them out. My friends know to stop and get them when they are in the area.

I don't know if I like them because they are good, or just nostalgia, but I do.

Does anyone know if they are available by mail through any website? I haven't located any such sites.

Thanks,
    Stan
    mritec21
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/08/20 13:08:04 (permalink)

I work in downtown Philadelphia, PA. I have the advantage of having
    sidewalk vendors on practically every corner. Many of them carry
    these cookies! So if you want to come over the bridge, you won't be disappointed. The vendors usually leave by 2PM.

Also, I've heard that BJ's Wholesale Club carries the cookies. Good luck!

ivelina
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/08/31 16:25:03 (permalink)
    I work in center city Philadelphia as well, and eys, evey street cart here has these cookies. they are misterious in origin and the marketing appears to be from 20 years ago at least, but hte aotmeal ones are GOOOOOOOOOOOOD....

My question is this: HOW MANY CALORIES DO THEY HAVE??? there is no nutritional info on them (isn't that illegal these days?) and since i love to torture myself with guilt after downing 304 packages, i would like to know how many caloreis that is.

ANYONE???
    ivelina
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/08/31 16:27:41 (permalink)
    hum.. typos.. typos.... and we can't edit in this forum??? how come.

well, i meant to write 3-4 packages, not 304
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/08/31 16:32:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ivelina

hum.. typos.. typos.... and we can't edit in this forum??? how come.

well, i meant to write 3-4 packages, not 304

I thought it was just me! My computer had to be rebuilt so I thought I was the only one unable to edit. You used to be able to.
    rosest
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/07 09:15:07 (permalink)
    Other forums that I have visited allow the author of a post to edit an entry for a limited amount of time. After that time, it becomes read only. Maybe this forum is the same.

I work in NY, so getting to a street vendor by 2:00 will be a challenge. However, I believe there is a BJ's a few miles away (we normally use Sam's Club), so that is a possibility.

Stan
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/07 11:38:38 (permalink)
    I have been eating Peggy Lawton chocolate chip cookies in the cellophane 3-packs all my life, except when living in an area that doesn't have them (Florida, Texas). I grew up in and around Boston mostly, and they are still available practically everywhere. 304 packages may have been a typo to ivelina, but I'd bet I've eaten at least that many over the years.
    db
    rosest
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/16 22:31:47 (permalink)
    With much anticipation, we went over to the local BJs (Hamilton, NJ) the other day. I couldn't find them anywhere and was very disappointed. I asked a few different employees and they didn't think they carried them, either.

We have a friend who goes up to Connecticut frequently. We gave her $20 and told her to stock up whenever she has a chance. We'll treat it like EZPASS; when the account is depleted we'll replenish it with her!

Stan

quote:
    Originally posted by mritec21

I work in downtown Philadelphia, PA. I have the advantage of having
    sidewalk vendors on practically every corner. Many of them carry
    these cookies! So if you want to come over the bridge, you won't be disappointed. The vendors usually leave by 2PM.

Also, I've heard that BJ's Wholesale Club carries the cookies. Good luck!

cookieman
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/23 17:42:48 (permalink)
    This is so funny - I'm also a Peggy Lawton cookie addict. When I was going to UMass-Boston, I used to have a Peggy Lawton cookie pack after lunch every day. But near San Francisco I can't get them, so every time I fly east to visit my family south of Boston, I stock up with several dozen of the oatmeal cookie packs. I even tried contacting the company to see if they would ship me a case to California, with no success. If there is any place that would ship a carton out here I'd order a box!
    rosest
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/23 21:38:06 (permalink)
    Yes, isn't this amazing that there would be a forum dedicated to 50 year old cookie company! Goes to show how the Internet has a nook and cranny for everything.

Stan
    quote:
    Originally posted by cookieman

This is so funny - I'm also a Peggy Lawton cookie addict. When I was going to UMass-Boston, I used to have a Peggy Lawton cookie pack after lunch every day. But near San Francisco I can't get them, so every time I fly east to visit my family south of Boston, I stock up with several dozen of the oatmeal cookie packs. I even tried contacting the company to see if they would ship me a case to California, with no success. If there is any place that would ship a carton out here I'd order a box!
    rosest
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/29 22:34:49 (permalink)
    I was saddened to read that Lawton Wolf, founder of Peggy Lawton Kitchens, died last week at 93. Following is his obiturary from the Boston Globe.

THE BOSTON GLOBE SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2004
    Obituaries

Lawton D. Wolf, at 93; owner of baked-goods company
    By Tom Long
    Globe Staff

Lawton D. Wolf was a man who knew a good thing then he saw it: First when he met and married Peggy Hannah and then when he tasted her fudge brownies.

The couple parlayed those home-baked goodies into Peggy Lawton Kitchens and a line of cellophane-wrapped treats that are convenience store staples from Maine to Washington, D.C., and comfort foods to many.

Mr. Wolf, 93, who died Wednesday in his home in Needham, was the businessman behind Peggy Lawton Kitchens, a line that now includes brownies, oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and several other snacks.

The company, which he founded in 1949, employs about 40 and produces as many as 200,000 cookies and 200,000 brownies each day at its Walpole plant.

Mr. Wolf had a paternal relationship with employees, many of whom worked for him for decades.

‘Everyone loved him;’ Robert Willis, office manager of Lawton Kitchens, said yesterday. “He was very gentle in his approach to everyone and very caring. It was always a joy to see him."

Peggy Lawton baked goods are comfort food to many who remember the confections from childhood.

Willis said dozens have arranged to have the baked goods shipped to soldiers in Iraq to remind them of home.

A series of postings on the Roadfood.com website attest to their popularity.

One displaced New Englander wrote of stopping at a gas station on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut and buying 20 packages of the chocolate chip cookies to take home.

Another wrote of visiting Boston from San Francisco and returning with several dozen packages of the oatmeal cookies.

In the beginning, there was the fudge brownie and a luncheonette in Dedham operated by Mr. and Mrs. Wolf for several years in the 1940s. It was called The Sampler and business was up and down, but one constant was the popularity of Mrs. Wolf’s brownies.

The couple decided to close the restaurant and open a commercial bakery in 1949.

“With Lawton’s business sense and Peggy’s recipe, it was a joint endeavor from the beginning," the couples son, William of Walpole, said yesterday.

They joined their first names to name the company, which is now operated by their son.

A sharp dresser with an ever-present ascot, Mr. Wolf was the only child of a steam locomotive mechanic and a homemaker who raised him in Trenton, N.J.

He graduated from Ryder University in Lawrenceville, N.J., in 1932.

He met Peggy Hannah at a meeting of the Plymouth Brethren, an evangelical Christian group. The couple married in 1935 at the height of the Great Depress ion and took a steamboat up the Hudson River to Vermont for their honeymoon.

Mr. Wolf did editorial work for Reader’s Digest before becoming a production supervisor at the Wright Aeronautical Co. in Cincinnati and at later Holtzer-Cabot Electric Co. in Boston.

Mr. Wolf was fond of big-band music and spent several months each winter at the Lawrence Welk resort in Escondido, Calif.

“He was a very kind man who was very strong in his convictions;’ his daughter, Kathleen of Hoover, Ala. said yesterday. “He worked hard every day to his promises to my mother and provide a living for my family to build a business, and to be a witness for his religion.

In addition to his wife, son, and daughter, he leaves six grand children.

A funeral service will be held today [9/25/2004] at 10:30 am, in Dover Church in Dover, He will be buried in Highland Cemetery in Dover.

Tom Long can be reached at long@globe.com
    i95
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/09/30 07:52:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rosest

I was saddened to read that Lawton Wolf, founder of Peggy Lawton Kitchens, died last week at 93. Following is his obiturary from the Boston Globe.

Thanks for the post, rosest. How sad. However, it was interesting to read the specific RoadFood.com mentions in the middle of the Globe's obituary, above.

Rest in peace, cookie man.
    Dave A
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/10/06 15:14:23 (permalink)
    Hello folks.

I'm new to Roadfood.com. Actually I was just doing a Google search for Peggy Lawton and up came this forum with this interesting discussion about the company. I am a big fan of the cookies and brownies and also a friend of Bill Wolf, son and owner of the company. The company has always been very quality conscious. Products are made without preservatives. The oatmeal cookie is my own favorite.

I know it would please Bill that Peggy Lawton has many old fans. It would do his heart good, if anyone wanted to write or call him, to tell him how much you enjoy his stuff.

Here's the address:

Peggy Lawton Kitchens Inc., PO Box 33, East Walpole, MA 02032-0033, Phone: 508-668-1215

Dave
    i95
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/10/06 16:00:51 (permalink)
    Greetings, Dave!

First, you're the first person to ever label a discussion on this board "interesting."

Secondly, please pass on all of the above posters' (and many others) condolences to the Wolf family.

Thirdly, let the family also know, by sharing this thread perhaps, as to just how many diehard Peggy Lawton fans are out there.

A great product with a great following!
    Dave A
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/10/07 10:57:43 (permalink)
    Hi i95!

I sure will. Bill is not quite internet savvy so I will print this web page out and pass it along to him!

Many thanks.

Dave

ps- By the way, what can I say? Any discussion about food is an interesting discussion to me!
    p;sdfklmaw[p;eld
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/10/26 14:02:56 (permalink)
    WOW I am so grateful to this discussion board as I was able to locate and contact Peggy Lawton Kitchens and I will now be able to buy these great cookies. I was raised in the Philadelphia suburbs and whenever I was not prepared for school lunch for many reasons I usually got a quarter from somewhere and either got a soft pretzel or Peggy Lawton cookies. These cookies (chocolate chip) are so much a part of history that it would be traumatic if I could never find them. Luckily I just found a gas station on my way home from Delaware in Philadelphia that had them and I bought them out. I ate the last cookie and started to panic and searched the internet that is what brought me here. I got the 800 phone number fans............
    800-843-7325. Munch Happy...........:)
    rosest
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/10/26 20:51:14 (permalink)
    That's what I was hoping someone would find. How do they sell them, by the case?

Stan
    i95
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/10/26 21:33:28 (permalink)
    I just bought "three-packs" of both the oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies today in D.C. -- each at just 60-cents a pack.
    BHConrad
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/11/13 16:09:31 (permalink)
    I would add that this is an 'interesting' discussion. I grew up in Walpole, MA where the Peggy Lawton cookies are made. That said, I would consider them a 'quiet' company as they were really never in the news or advertised or anything. All I really know is that their facility is in an old movie theatre - at least that's what I've heard.
    I love their choc and double chocolate chip cookies. If anyone is interested, I could probably buy some cookies etc in bulk from them or elsewhere and ship them to desperate folks :)
    I dunno...just trying to help! :))
    (my parents still live in Walpole.)
    BHConrad
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/11/13 16:11:17 (permalink)
    I would add that this is an 'interesting' discussion. I grew up in Walpole, MA where the Peggy Lawton cookies are made. That said, I would consider them a 'quiet' company as they were really never in the news or advertised or anything. All I really know is that their facility is in an old movie theatre - at least that's what I've heard.
    I love their choc and double chocolate chip cookies. If anyone is interested, I could probably buy some cookies etc in bulk from them or elsewhere and ship them to desperate folks :)
    I dunno...just trying to help! :))
    (my parents still live in Walpole.)
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/11/13 20:49:02 (permalink)
    I live in central MA but I had forgotten about Peggy Lawtons until this thread got me thinking about them....so today I happened to see some and I picked up a brownie and a pack of chocolate chip cookies....both were AWESOME....the cookies were MUCH tastier than chips ahoy or other packaged cookies....I found myself liking them more than even "upscale" packaged choc chip cookies like Fiels and Amos...

Does anyone know what all different products Peggy LAwton produces?

And are there any MA chains that carry them? I only see them in sub/pizza shops, but its hit or miss...
    bc627
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2004/11/23 13:25:28 (permalink)
    Peggy Lawton Choco Chip Cookie nutrition info

http://www.hoodhomedelivery.com/pageFiles/ProdDetailTemp.php?id=180&IsSearch=1
    vince38
    Junior Burger
    RE: FANS of PEGGY LAWTON COOKIES ?? 2005/01/19 22:46:48 (permalink)
    I was back in the Boston area visiting family and friends last weekend, and could not find Peggy Lawton products at the usual places. I'm curious if anyone knows where they're being sold these days.

Thanks
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1