FAST FOOD and US

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7909
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/06/19 08:53:22 (permalink)
I know we have put this issue to rest. However I still feel the need to re clarify my position. I will admit my opinions about the fast food industry are very strong and perhaps border on being hateful, however hateful or not, these are still my opinions and I am going to express my opininons both good and bad. I never expressed hate towards anyone on this forum, in fact I get a kick out of you guys and gals. I believe we all have the right to choose,however I also feel like I've lost the battle. Even though this is contradictory to others opinions on this forum, I strongly believe that in a few precious years, we won't have any road food left because of our right to choose. Let's face it the mom and pop industry is dying, both in the restaurant business, hardware business, pharmacy business etc. I think this is very sad and feel that I have no control over it.

A few years ago when I was visiting St Louis, I was speaking with an employee at a local microbrewery/brewpub he shared my sentiments exactly and stated that eventually the only local restaurants left will be the high end "nuvo" type and that's it.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/06/19 09:56:48 (permalink)
I might just be lucky with where I live, but I just don't see what you are saying. Sure if you go to major shopping areas everything is pretty much chain food, but I don't live in a shopping area. The area where I live is like a small town with a main street. In about a 3/4 mile stretch I can count 16 places that serve food, only three are chain - dunkin donuts,(we have 2 other bakeries one on the same street) McD's(not overly busy) and a friendly's that's fighting to stay open. The other 13 establishments are all Mom and Pop places that range from carry out to restaurant. Two of the operations have been in business at least 40 years. One of the places opened in the past year & even with the daunting weather conditions seems to be doing a pretty good business. Within 1/2 mile of the main street there are 3-4 more places. Going a bit further, (a couple of miles) out the road there is a small town filled with restaurants, all indies. This doesn't include several more expensvie restaurants (what I call special ocasion places) that are within the limits of my town. Oh yeah, there is this great place midway between the towns that is basicaly Greek, does crab cakes well, & according to my Mom, makes sour beef & dumplings almost as good as hers. (this place has been around since I was a kid in the 50's!) The McD's that is here did't come here by choice, per say, it was granfathered in - Ginos bought out by Roys bought by McD's. Since I can go into many neighborhoods in the Baltimore area & repeat this exercise I just find it hard to get that upset about FFRs & chains, to many far more important things to worry about.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7909
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/06/20 08:00:02 (permalink)
Just want't to thank those who have personally e-mailed me to support my position
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/06/20 10:08:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

I often wonder if people eat at FFR's because they like it, or because they're told they like it.

I haven't figured out how to quotes somebody on this site yet, but re: the quote from sundancer above...you can't seriously believe smaller establishments are run out of business because they have inferior product.... What they have is an inferior marketing department, and research and development lab.

Alas, Cosmos has hit on the point I was trying to make. And for the others who seem to I am slamming just McDonald's, please re-read my original posts. I like a good rare steak just as much as the next person. Fat does make things taste better, but I am of such that I do tend to cook more at home where I am in charge of what I eat, not some trendy advertising agency whose aim is only to increase the bottom line of some corporate restaurant chain (be they FF or not...). In my area, the mom & pop type establishments still abound. True, they all might not fit the true definition of such, but at least they are not corporate or otherwise franchised establishments. The bottom line, I guess is that whatever I have found that I like to eat in any restaurant that I have ever patronized, I know that I can prepare the same much better at home and at the same time avoid the associated hype and unnecessary perception of having to be pampered by money hungry corporations.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/06/20 10:12:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCJPO

Personally I liked "Adjudicator's" comments, question or statement. We are a society of questions. I have been involved in law enforcement,the correctional system and now the judiciary for over 30 years. in addition studied journalism, the criminal justice system as well as being a Marine before all of the above. Then studied law. I have also taught in high schools, community colleges, universities and judicial college. The questions posed were, at least I think they were, legitimate from the perspective of an inquiry as to peoples opinions
as the basic tenets of all good queries, that being who,what where, when, how, and although why isn't necessarily a basis of fact, it can be part of the equation. We should all strive to have people THINK If truth be told I am still waiting for the blonde to drop into the front seat of the Dodge Challenger convertible I bought new in 1974. Although I knew it was corporate hype, I could still wish. By the way my wife has black hair, and looks really great in my 30 year old Challenger.

While I will not assume what "Adudicators" motive is, as to assume, as the old adage states makes an a** out of you and me. Perhaps it is nothing more then to get some intelligent dialogue from the people as to their opinions. And opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, but they still have one, whether or not one agrees with everyone elses. But I do believe that no one should be rude when they disagree. This is all theater, and after the play is done the participants should be able to go out and have a beer or a root beer or a waffle, or whatever, with out any feelings of acrimony.

Hell, as far as FFR restaurants go, I knew that when Mickey D's came to my community 20 plus years ago it would change the comlextion of the community. It did, and not for the asthetically better, however it did raise our tax base, as people from the surrounding areas - that being people who were and are 100 mile or more from a town of any size, came to shop at the new Walmart, Autozone, Safeway, KFC, Arbys, Pizza Hut,etc. Did it make a better community? Not necessarily. Did it provide more jobs, taxes, services, of course. Did the community lose some of its identity? Of course. Now we are spending tax dollars to in order to draw tourists to our farmers market, rodeos, old time festivals, etc., in order to have people experience a small, western high desert town. A manufactured experience, but an experience never the less. Hell if it wasn't for some of the events some of the residents, especially the kids would never get to touch or feed a calf or a foal. They would never see quail or pheasants, or a deer. We have seen a depletion of our deer, wild horse, quail, mountain lion, pheasant, grouse, sage hen, chukar, etc, populations. All in the name of progress.

I know this is long winded, however the questions posed were legitimate. How much are we willing to give up. Are we going to be consumed by corporate america. I don't know the answer, and don't claim to know it. I do know that if we can't ask the questions without being ridiculed then we have lost the battle. And that is not right. Nor is our way of life

There are many threads in this site, most of which are dedicated to the premise of food, good food, not FFR, which in my opinion are not worthy of patronizing so I don't. Although my youngest son works at KFC, which I am pleased with, as he does a good job, he doesn't like the food though, as we eat at home most nights around the dinner table. A practice which I hope both he and his older brother carry on when they finally detach themselves from the famial umbilical cord. As stated previously in this paragraph, there are many threads in this site. And while most of them should be goal directed. There also needs to be room for something more serious then where to gt the best hotdog. ENJOY I did have a great chicken fried steak for Fathers Day, my eldest treated us at my favorite mom and pop restaurant, with a double helping of real mashed potatoes, extra gravy, green beans, sliced tomatoes, butter rolls, a couple of Dos Equis, double frosted chocolate cake and a big glass of ice cold milk. Or as I affectionatly call it "Heart Attack on a Plate." It was great.

As I perhaps said earlier, at least my posts generate feedback, whether favorable or not... Thanks CCJPO!
Jason Perlow
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/08/06 01:59:31 (permalink)
quote:

It's your right to say what you believe, but it's also my right to make a suggestion to you. Why don't you take your anti-capitalist beliefs over to egullet, where your "evils of corporate America" views will fit right in.

Ouch. That hurt.

I wasn't aware we were anti-capitalist. I thought we were an anarchal-syndicalist commune. Why aren't I getting the memos?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: FAST FOOD and US 2003/08/06 14:44:56 (permalink)
It was not your turn to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1