FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA

Author
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2006/04/28 10:20:52 (permalink)

FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA

OK- here's another lost gem. FLINT'S BBQ, (take-out only) on Shattuck Avenue in east Oakland was one of the BBQ greats. A real wood pit BBQ in a hole-in-the-wall storefront, FLINT'S had the best ribs, chicken, brisket & links in the Bay Area, served authentically over a slice or two of white bread with mild, medium or a deeply flavored smokin' HOT sauce. There was always a line on the street, probably due to the fact that the wonderful, rich, smoky aroma enticed you from afar. I lived about 2 blocks away in the mid-70's, and was a regular. All the ladies who sweated behind the counter knew me & my St. Bernard-mix monster of a dog who roamed the streets of Oakland at will. He would sleep on the sidewalk in front of FLINT'S. They used to give me 5-gallon buckets of scraps "for that big dog".
Great food, wonderful people and a BBQ legend. I was visiting some years ago and they had closed "for repairs" and apparently never re-opened.
Anybody else remember FLINT'S?
Ron

7 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4608
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2006/04/28 10:39:21 (permalink)
    http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2006-04-12/dining/sink.html
    When I saw an "Open" sign in the window of Flint's Bar-B-Q, my heart skipped a beat: Flint's had been closed for two years, and it seemed much longer. I hadn't eaten its ribs in a decade. They were my first, my gold standard, but vegetarianism, college, and Flint's intermittent closings had intervened. With boyfriend in tow, I ordered the pork ribs sandwich with medium sauce; he, the sliced beef sandwich with hot sauce, each $7.50. "Sandwich" here, or at any other local BBQ joint, just means a couple of slices of bread to sop up your sauce. My meat was good, and Eric's was amazing, but it'd been so long that I couldn't recall if Flint's still tasted the same. So I went to the man who'd introduced me to barbecue, and for whom Flint's ribs were once a Father's Day imperative. It wasn't hard to get Dad to forget his cholesterol count for one night......

sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2006/04/28 11:11:32 (permalink)
    Bill Voss....I think it would be prudent for you to advise readers to activate the hyperlink first before reading your post lest one would think (as I did ) that you had a boyfriend named Eric that you towed around the streets of Oakland California.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2006/04/28 11:36:17 (permalink)
    This is at least the second time Flint's has reopened after an extended hiatus in the fourteen years I've lived out here. According to many, Flint's was the be all and end all of Bay Area BBQ back in the day. It was wildly uneven by the time I got to it, but on its good days it was pretty good.

The last time I was there I brought a big eating pal with me. It was Friday night, the line was longish, and the fella slicing the meat was high out of his mind. He kept up a fiendish coke-rap as he frantically worked; according to him, the sooner they ran out of BBQ the sooner he could go get some more dope. My buddy's 3-way takeout container weighed 8!!! pounds when we got it home. Not surprisingly, this location, at San Pablo and 30th in Oakland, was closed not soon after, and not soon after that, the Shattuck location was closed.

Glad they're back, I'll give them a try soon. Their homemade beef links were really good, the coarsely chopped meat fell apart on your plate, resembling a smoked beef hash.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2006/04/28 11:57:34 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear of the decline at FLINT'S- what else is new, huh?
    Back in the day, it was consistently just about perfect 'Q. And the HOT sauce was a killer- many burned lips learned the hard way. Wimps!
    Everybody I ever fed FLINT'S BBQ has asked me about it over the years. I was a working musician and having FLINT'S open late at night was a lifesaver.
    The neighborhood was peacefully mixed black & white, nobody had much but it was a good life. Lots of characters & drama, too.
    What's this got to do with food? Lots, I guess.
    Ron
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2006/04/28 12:18:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

Bill Voss....I think it would be prudent for you to advise readers to activate the hyperlink first before reading your post lest one would think (as I did ) that you had a boyfriend named Eric that you towed around the streets of Oakland California.

It caught me quite by surprise....
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2006/04/28 15:43:13 (permalink)
    I've eaten lots of Flint's food but I've never seen the place. For several years I worked at the Naval Supply Center in Oakland (commuting via the Cypress Freeway of 1989 collapse infamy). I had an African-American secretary, a large and pleasant woman. Several times a week she would go to Flint's for take-out at lunch and it looked/smelled so good that I asked her one day if I could go with her. She said, in effect, "Absolutely not, no-way Jose! You are too pale for the hood if you know what I mean. I'll bring ya back whatever you want." So although I have not usually been shy about going to good food in whatever hood it may reside, we did it her way and she would bring me back my lunch quite often.
    AG4JAZZ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: FLINT'S BBQ- Oakland, CA 2007/08/18 15:48:28 (permalink)
    I disagree with BT...I use to go there all the time when I was in collage and worked for the railroad in the bay area. I usually when to the San Pablo location...and at night by myself.
    Glad to hear that Flint's is opened again...now I have a reason to go to the bay area!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1