The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50
Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Sun, 10/16/11 7:37 PM (permalink)
BackAlleyBurger
i cant believe Dan over at vendr.tv hasnt made the list yet
video blogs from around the country of different vendors and what they offer
www.vendr.tv

From his LAST SHOW COMMENTS SECTION ?
chris says:
August 14, 2011 at 11:07 pm
happy anniversary and sorry for the death of your web show it will be sorely missed.

So is it dead? If so to bad.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9587
    Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 10/17/11 12:28 AM (permalink)
    BACKALLEY BURGER
    THAT VENDR WEB SITE YOU PUT UP HAS A TROJAN HORSE VIRUS.
    DON'T OPEN IT FOLKS! 

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
      Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 10/17/11 3:51 PM (permalink)
      oohh wow..... i should get out on the web more often, i loved his "off the cuff" interviews, lol, and the way he shoved food in his face....

as far as a trojan.......not sure about that, i use to visit that site weekly and never had a problem

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Sat, 10/22/11 8:34 AM (permalink)
        Food truck wrap template.
        Download template here
        http://www.studiofluid.co...d-truck-wrap-template/

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
          Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Sun, 10/23/11 9:14 AM (permalink)
          The right equipment, layout help put food trucks on the road to success August 9, 2010 | By James Scarpa

Swarms of customers and tons of media exposure for gourmet food trucks in Los Angeles and New York have would-be truckers in many other places eager to try mobile foodservice.
          But given the burgeoning segment’s novelty, guidance for creating kitchens on wheels is sparse. Most street food pioneers are traveling a road of trial and error as they outfit their mobile businesses, with some trading tips among themselves and tapping the few consultants familiar with the life of a food truck jockey.

Drivers’ ed
          Scott Baitinger, partner in Streetza Pizza, a Milwaukee-based truck selling hand-made gourmet pizza by the slice, is one operator who did his homework. In his “700-degree oven on wheels,” as he put it, pizzas are par-baked in a compact deck oven, held in warming units and topped and finished when needed in about five to six minutes.

“We researched the most-compact, best-performing pizza equipment and experimented a lot with setup to get the most efficient workflow possible,” Baitinger said.

The equipment works well enough to sell between 15,000 and 20,000 pizza slices in one day at a public festival, he said.
          He has an agreement with a partner to develop 26 Streetza trucks in the Midwest by year’s end.

However, Baitinger admits to an occasional “comedy of errors” in equipment matters as the concept was groomed. For example, the Streetza truck was initially outfitted with all-electric cooking equipment without considering the power source. That required a 15,000-watt generator that in practice was too large for the truck and uncomfortably noisy to boot. With the lesson learned, the Streetza team switched to a mix of electric- and propane-powered equipment, which is run by a much smaller and quieter generator.

Smoothing speed bumps

It took Farhad Assari, proprietor of the two Sauca gourmet flatbread trucks in Washington, D.C., several tries to place his equipment for optimum workflow.

“It sounds like we got it right the first time, but nothing is easy,” Assari said. “Initially, our placement of things didn’t make sense operationally.” For example, in practice he learned that the steamer should be next to the sandwich table.

“You can put almost anything that you want on a truck. You are just confined by space,” said Ray Villaman, a veteran restaurateur and co-founder of Mobi Munch, a Los Angeles-based company that operates food trucks in collaboration with chefs and designs and builds rigs for other operators.

Mobi Munch’s first collaborative effort is the Ludo Fried Chicken truck in collaboration with celebrity chef Ludo Lefebvre in Los Angeles.

Naturally, choosing fancier equipment, a sturdier chassis or a more powerful generator will run up the tab. While a Mobi Munch truck with basic equipment like a griddle, fryer, steam table and cold table runs an estimated $125,000, Villaman said, a more customized vehicle like the Ludo truck, which includes four high-capacity fryers for Lefebvre’s signature fried chicken, cost $160,000.

“You can go to $200,000 easily,” Villaman said.

Villaman advised truck operators to plan the menu well and use it as a guide for selecting equipment. “And the kitchen should be designed with some flexibility because it is expensive to yank equipment out of trucks if your sales mix changes,” he said.

Cruising
          In Los Angeles, restaurateurs Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken have purchased a second Border Grill gourmet taco truck to join the leased taco truck they launched last year.

In contrast to the leased truck, which is equipped like a basic L.A. short-order taco truck, according to director of facilities Peter Barrett, the new, custom-designed vehicle is more conducive to the partners’ modern Mexican-inspired fare. The kitchen includes a 36-inch griddle with underneath oven, two open burners, a deep fryer and a larger sand-wich table.

The refrigerated sand-wich table is particularly handy for storing the ingredients and garnishes used in the cuisine. “Every one of our tacos has two or three chilled ingredients that go on that are different from the next one,” Barrett said.

Seeking green flags

The scene is quite different in Chicago, still waiting for its first truck-cooked meal, because city ordinances prohibit cooking aboard trucks. However, food truck entrepreneur Matt Maroni is trying to change that.

Maroni is working with members of the Chicago City Council and city health authorities on revised regulations to allow onboard cooking. He is hopeful that the measure will be adopted this summer.

“We have 95 percent support,” Maroni said. “It would do a lot for job creation in this economy.”

Meanwhile, as the wheels of municipal government grind on, he is selling gourmet flatbread sandwiches called “naanwiches” out of a small storefront eatery called Gaztro-Wagon. Ultimately, he intends it to be the home base for a truck concept of the same name.

A former private club chef, Maroni has no illusions about what he is getting into.

“A food truck is cheaper than opening a full-scale restaurant, but it’s just as much work, if not more,” he said.

Read more: http://www.nrn.com/article/right-equipment-layout-help-put-food-trucks-road-success#ixzz1bbsn42GC

SR-71

• Total Posts: 15
            Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Sun, 10/23/11 2:25 PM (permalink)
            Dr of BBQ

The equipment works well enough to sell between 15,000 and 20,000 pizza slices in one day at a public festival, he said.

Haha that is most likely the max capacity of their dreams/nightmares, not typical sales volume.

Or a typo and more like 1,500 to 2,000 slices a day.

At the pizza shop I manage, we had a big 30th anniversary party and sold pizzas for 1971 prices. I think it was $1.30 for a large pepperoni. Anyways, we made 900 pizzas which is double our busiest. And that would be about 7,200 slices. We had a crew of at least 20, and it was impossible to keep up with the demand. About 7 minutes to cook a pizza from scratch in our electric conveyor oven.

The deck ovens take 2 or 3 times as long. If they can actually sell 1900 to 2500 pizzas in a day from a truck, I'd be amazed.

SimplicityTrailerWindows

• Total Posts: 7
              Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Thu, 11/10/11 2:47 PM (permalink)
              Where to buy items such as Cabinets and Shelves for Food Trucks?

There is a company named Simplicity Innovations that builds custom base cabinets, over head cabinets for food trucks and trailers. They can build to customer specs shelving and countertops for these Food Trucks. As well as supply Concession trailer Windows and Door for VENDING. This company has a great reputation for supply quality parts for Concession Trailers and Food Trucks. I am supplying there number below and website.
              Simplicity Innovations . com
              574-870-8058

Foodbme

Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Thu, 11/10/11 3:08 PM (permalink)
                SimplicityTrailerWindows

There is a company named Simplicity Innovations that builds custom base cabinets, over head cabinets for food trucks and trailers. They can build to customer specs shelving and countertops for these Food Trucks. As well as supply Concession trailer Windows and Door for VENDING. This company has a great reputation for supply quality parts for Concession Trailers and Food Trucks. I am supplying there number below and website.
                574-870-8058

Flagged by me for the following reason:
                From the Rules of Conduct: "Any topic that is a blatant ad (or selling something) is prohibited"
                The Company is located in the same town as the poster and the poster's name indicates affiliation with the company.
                I encourage others to identify themselves and give their reasons for flagging a post for Spam.
                <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 11/10/11 3:15 PM>

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 11/14/11 6:33 PM (permalink)

Use a generator, here are power Calculations and formulas for quick power conversions. Watts to Amps and others.

http://www.jobsite-genera...power_calculators.html

Foodbme

Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 12/12/11 2:15 AM (permalink)
                    Just saw my first Chain Restaurant Food Truck TV Commercial today!
                    A Jack in the Box Commercial featuring their "Munchie Mobile" Food Truck. Other Fast Food chains are bound to follow!
                    http://www.jackinthebox.com/commercials/
                    Click on Jacks Munchie Mobile (Left Side) 
                    <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 12/12/11 2:24 AM>

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                      Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 12/12/11 12:09 PM (permalink)
                      I have noticed that no one ever mentions that some places have a Max length for a food vending unit. I know Franklin, NC had a size limit for street vending. It was part of the reason we did not keep the 14 ft cargo trailer we had. I forget what the size was or if that included the tow vehicle, but the little cart we have PLUS the Jeep as the TV is a handful themselves. We just changed campgrounds and they had a hard time finding a space that would handle the 40 ft bus PLUS the Jeep and cart all on the same site. Good thing we don't have a longer setup.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 12/12/11 1:51 PM (permalink)

I ran across this at: http://www.gcpvd.org/2010...r-take-on-food-trucks/

Photo (cc) stu_spivack
                        I’ve been watching the slow emergence of Food Truck culture in Providence and have mostly been happy about it. The Food Trucks popping up thus far have good food, they bring a certain cachet to the city, they are hip, young, fun, all the things Providence wants to be. However, in the back of my mind, I’ve been thinking about some of the things I don’t like about the Food Truck movement.
                        Payton at west north articulated my reservations pretty well:
                        I’m know it’s so very trendy, but I really don’t understand the fascination with littering Chicago with food trucks. I’ve found them quite annoying in NY and LA:
                        • they don’t pay rent for the valuable public space they take up
                        • they unfairly compete with fixed-premise restaurants, particularly since Chicago suffers from many miles of empty storefronts
                        • they only go to trendy areas which already have lots of shops and foot traffic, thereby merely overcrowding existing transient hotspots and potentially preventing new areas from emerging
                        • they leave clouds of diesel fumes and noise in their wake, since they run generators even when idling
                        • they generate mountains of trash in said areas’ already-overflowing trashcans, since there’s no capacity for onboard dishwashing and few sidewalk recycling bins
                        • they’d be yet more unwieldy vehicles careening through the streets, killing people in crashes.
                        I certainly don’t dispute the overall goals to have broadly available, inexpensive food and easing the way for entrepreneurs to open foodservice businesses. However, these goals frankly have nothing to do with adding more smelly trucks to already choked streets
                        Payton has a follow-up post expanding on his points above which I encourage you to read.

Like I said, there is something that really pleases me about the Food Truck movement, but the points Payton brings up bother me. Really, the biggest part is that we have so many vacant storefronts. A truck pulls up, creates some excitement and leaves. An occupied storefront contributes to the street activity always, think Farmstead on Westminster.

There are of course real barriers to opening a food based business in a brick and mortar location in Providence, which probably contributes to the quick adoption of food trucks here. One is regulation. Everyone I’ve talked to who has opened a business in Providence, or those whose business it is to get businesses to come to Providence, agree that the regulation is confusing and onersous, and discourages business creation. I’ve heard people who have located businesses here from away say they would never do it again and would tell others not to, not good.

The other barrier is the spaces themselves. Especially Downcity, but throughout town, there really aren’t many small hole in the wall retail spaces available. The kind of space where someone who runs a Food Truck might opt to settle down permanently. A counter and a few stools, those spaces don’t exist. So would-be restauranteurs are forced to pay rent on greatly outsized spaces that they don’t need.

I’m not saying Food Trucks should be banned, far from it. What I would like to see is, the city thinking about ways to encourage other forms of street food, be they micro-storefronts, push carts, Food Trucks, or something else.

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Mon, 12/12/11 1:52 PM>

Augusto

• Total Posts: 15
                          Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Fri, 03/23/12 1:01 PM (permalink)
                          I'm from Brazil, and would make a restaurant in a bus. I count on the help ofmembers of this forum.
                          grateful

PurpleCheetah

• Total Posts: 151
                            Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 03/26/12 5:35 PM (permalink)
                            Hey all not sure if I should post this here or not, but I did travel to Challenger Door this past Thursday and returned on Friday with my window and shelf. I installed them on Saturday it was very easy to install. Challenger Door came highly recommended by Dr. of BBQ and a couple others here on the forum so I gave them a ring picked out a window design and it was ready in about 9 days I just couldn't leave the restaurant to travel to get it until last weekend.

Ok so my experience very nice people a little shy but nice, service was good, product is good, prices are good to me as well. I could take pictures from the door but they would not allow me to go walking through the factory....so far as pricing they stated you must contact a salesman to give more information on what you are trying to purchase from them to quote prices they do not have a standard price for ___ window or door because it is made to order with certain design and size...My salesperson was Doug Zook very nice guy easy to get a hold (responds to email quickest) This is a large factory 4 buildings and land a lot of production happens here, not a mom and pop shop......DR. of BBQ I did tell them you will be to see them in August or October I could not remember when it was (5 am once I got there) on to the pictures i will not make this thread lengthy with lots of pics I posted them in my flickr......I will be taking additional pics of my window and shelf installed tomorrow if anyone wants closer pics of the craftsmanship just let me know my walls are going up Wed. or Thur.

Other pics can be found here:
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/purplecheetahcafe/
                            http://www.flickr.com/pho...ets/72157629300411714/

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 03/26/12 6:03 PM (permalink)
                              Is that a lock that I'm seeing in your window frame?
                              They are shy, but it's a religious thing, if I'm not mistaken. They are Amish. I didn't discuss that with them but I couldn't arrange a pick up after 5:00 pm and they finally found a gal that would stay the extra 15 minutes. But that's cool. And I'm glad things went well for you I'm anxious to see your install pictures.
                              jack

PurpleCheetah

Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 03/26/12 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                yes it has locks on either side of the window(came with 2 keys), didn't come with handles but I found 2 at walmart  1.50 each alum screen door handles 4" long, one for outside and one for inside the inside one will be hard to reach tho without a hook to grab it by I am fall out of the window it's a bit of a stretch for me I'll post the inside pics tomorrow afternoon I'll post them on my thread so I don't take to much post time on this one

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                  Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Mon, 03/26/12 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                  Is the purple in the pics...your Purple Cheetah color?

Tonys Grilled 3Chesses

• Total Posts: 2
                                    Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Thu, 09/6/12 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                    So recently I've been putting alot of man hours into working on my 2nd food truck. And I have seen alot of posts that people are having problems like me on their trucks. So I wanted to offer as much advice as I can. Since I have been getting good advice myself from here and other sites I thought pass it on. I did not have alot of money for this project and just purchased an old food truck and put new tires on it. Mechanically its sound that is a major plus for me. Looks I can fix, mechanics no way. As you can see below I have the cutout for the new window and ordered a custom concession window and a serving counter from a place I found online in Indiana. Price was obviously important to me and they were the best price I found. It arrived in a crate I posted it below. The outside serving shelf is wedged down in the crate so will have to post later. I will post pictures of it installed later also. I'm planning on working on it next week for SURE.  I purchased it from a place called Simplicity Innovations. You can buy on the site but they did not have the size I needed so I had to call in. As for Simplicity Innovations run down goes, nice people I never met them but they were nice on the phone even though there was some phone tag. But they always called me back so with that I would say good service. My truck is white so of course I went with WHITE. I have posted pictures of my first food truck and the concession window was the very first I bought from them. I have on order cabinets from these guys which are scheduled to be shipped later this month for my new truck. I will post these also, im just excited about this. Anyways like everyone else I dont mean to go on but I'm just really proud of my truck and want everyone to see. So here are some pics to share. Let me know what you think.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Thu, 09/6/12 11:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Tony good post, great looking job on the window. You need to continue to post more pictures as you continue your new build.
                                      Again great post, but if you get a chance post the web address and or phone number for Simplicity Innovations. That way RF builders will have 2 companies that they can work with.
                                      Challenger Door in Indiana.... 574-773-0470, with a report just above your thread.

Hey I found this is an older post

574-870-8058
                                      http://simplicityinnovations.com/
                                      <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Sun, 09/9/12 3:38 PM>

PurpleCheetah

Re:FOOD TRUCK LINK THREAD Sun, 09/9/12 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                        no my purple is darker

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com