The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

FRP Board cutters "These work wonders"

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

• Total Posts: 132
FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Fri, 01/7/11 8:47 PM (permalink)
Hello Again,
My trailer bulid is getting done slowly but getting there, But If you are cutting FRP boat buy a pair of electric metal shears They cut FRP like hot butter and "0" dust and they are fast !!!!!!  Sorry it would not let me put a link up ,But I started off renting them for $10 a day then I just went out and bought one for $100
<message edited by Freezers-full-in-Alaska on Fri, 01/7/11 8:49 PM>

Oregonian

• Total Posts: 6
    Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Wed, 01/12/11 3:25 AM (permalink)
    Hi,
    Thanks for good information.

Do you or someone know if it can cut Formica (laminate board)?  I'm buying one similar to that one anyway for cutting sheet metals and FRP boards but I just wonder if it can cut Formica as well.  My guess is that it can but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tried cutting it.

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Wed, 01/12/11 3:32 AM (permalink)
      If it cuts FRP then it should cut that. I cut out a bunch more counter tops today ,"Quick and Easy"

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
        Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Sat, 01/15/11 11:35 AM (permalink)
        Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Hello Again,
        My trailer bulid is getting done slowly but getting there, But If you are cutting FRP boat buy a pair of electric metal shears They cut FRP like hot butter and "0" dust and they are fast !!!!!!  Sorry it would not let me put a link up ,But I started off renting them for $10 a day then I just went out and bought one for $100

Thanks for the tip. I was using a circular saw than I purchased a jig saw but that was still a hassle. I will see if I can find one on craigslist before I check Home Depot.

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Sat, 01/15/11 1:43 PM (permalink)
          If you have any Pawn shops in the area check there they always have them for around $40

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
            Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Sat, 01/15/11 2:58 PM (permalink)
            Oregonian

Do you or someone know if it can cut Formica (laminate board)?  I'm buying one similar to that one anyway for cutting sheet metals and FRP boards but I just wonder if it can cut Formica as well.  My guess is that it can but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tried cutting it.

David said: If they are the "nipper type (three blades, two on bottom with the top one sliding between the two bottom blades) then yes. Otherwise No! Best thing high pressure laminate sheets (just the laminate not "board) is a straight edge (1X4) and a router with a 1/4" straight bit with a bearing to run on the straight edge.

David has been working with high pressure laminate for over 35 years. He had run two custom cabinet shops that built primarily laminate cabinets. Built custom laminate countertops for most of the 35 years. Built bank teller systems for Diebold. So he might know a tiny bit about high pressure laminates (and we like Wilsonart over Formica)

Oregonian

Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Tue, 01/18/11 3:33 PM (permalink)
              Thanks for the confirmation. 
              The one I bought is from Harbor Freight and it was $45 ($36 with their 20% off coupon).  If you don't find one at your local pawn shop, this may be the way to go.  I cut some 16g sheet metals so far.  It seems to work just fine though I had to push it relatively hard to keep it cutting.  But for the price I think it's a pretty good tool (it is nipper type as lornaschinske calls it).

lornaschinske,
              What makes Wilsonart better than Formica?   I bought some Formicas already for my current project but if Wilsonart is better, I might want to try it out next time.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Tue, 01/18/11 5:02 PM (permalink)
                We think the Formica is "brittle" and chips more when machining and filing. But I know other folks who like Formica better. It's just a personal preference. Certain colours in both lines are very soft (the hunter green in Wilsonart and the similar colour in Formica are both soft and scratch easily). Wilsonart Almond Leather, White Leather and Pampas are harder than the usual colours. Don't know why but they are.  If using laminate in a area where they will get a lot of abuse, clean them well then rub some "silicone" wax (the wipe on clear stuff for cars) or buy a can of food grade silicone spray (look in the electrical section of a hardware store) and that will help keep the laminate from staining.

MobileCuisine

• Total Posts: 63
                  Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Wed, 01/19/11 10:53 AM (permalink)
                  I've found the best tool for cutting FRP is an angle grinder with a cheapo diamond wheel. If you use a tablesaw, make sure the blade has lots of teeth (triple chip blades are good for it), and make sure the thin FRP can't slide under the bottom edge of the fence, or it will get screwed up. For outlet and switch boxes, I cut them out after the FRP is done with a rotozip and drywall bit. I just level down to the floor from the center of the box, make a mark on the floor with my sharpee, and write the measurement up from the floor to the center of the box on the floor too.

-MC

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Wed, 01/19/11 2:47 PM (permalink)
                    Oregonian

It seems to work just fine though I had to push it relatively hard to keep it cutting. 

The snips have a sweet stop and you have to find it. Try tilting it up or down as you cut and you will find it.

Oregonian

Re:FRP Board cutters "These work wonders" Thu, 01/20/11 3:56 AM (permalink)
                      Very helpful tips!  Thank you very much!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com