Helpful ReplyFRP Ceiling Installation Methods

Author
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
2013/01/16 11:16:04 (permalink)

FRP Ceiling Installation Methods

Looking for some advice on FRP installation on the ceiling.  My original plan was to insulate with rigid, sheet in 1/4 ply and then install using FRP rivets.

My concern has come while working on the van over the last few weeks and seeing the large amount of water that drips from the ceiling with it being cold out.  When I go into the van there is actually ice on the ceiling like the windshield of your car.  The plywood molding and rotting over time is my main issue.

So the question is are others installing FRP ceilings directly to the studs and are they happy with that method or recommend something else?  My current plan would be rigid insulation and then direct mounting to the roof studs. 
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 179
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2013/01/16 12:47:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
DO NOT install without being laminated to a backer board(plywood). It will sag!!!! Rigid insulate the ceiling with foil to the inside and tape, moisture wont reach the metal ceiling. I installed using stainless screws, it still corroded. Install using white screw buttons!!!!!!! you will thank yourself later.
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2013/01/17 03:20:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I would paint the foam side of the ply,just like you should paint the back side of wood siding before installing,It will slow or stop the wood from rotting.
Hot Dog Empire
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2013/01/17 20:12:51 (permalink)
daddywoofdawg

I would paint the foam side of the ply,just like you should paint the back side of wood siding before installing,It will slow or stop the wood from rotting.

Just a thought; Could you use Pressure Treated Plywood as a backer to eliminate any concerns of rotting or trapped moisture - problems? Its about $32/sheet for 1/2" at Lowes/Depot.
Also, you can find those screw buttons pretty easily at a RV supply store. Their like.15 ea.
buffy1711
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2013/01/23 23:29:12 (permalink)
What about your walls are they up yet? And if not spend some money and spray foam the hole truck. And then install 1/4 inch underlayment then you can glue your FRP board to it and hide all your screws. We used fast drying FRP glue.
pigrig
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2013/07/31 00:15:17 (permalink)
the pvc glue did not hold up to well on an interior van panel i built a few years back, i'd stay with a construction adhesive like Liquid Nails
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2013/07/31 15:23:39 (permalink)
the condensation is the water dripping, you need a way to vent  so the air moves around maybe go cheap with a box fan running at nite.
Midnights
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2014/02/12 18:54:16 (permalink)
When you say screw buttons, are you talking about these?

BelCibo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2014/02/13 09:42:58 (permalink)
Since this thread was brought back up, I have had some FRP delaminate from the plywood on the ceiling and a 6" bubble on one of the walls.  I used the quicker drying FRP adhesive per the manufacture's application method.
j.lamboy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2014/09/09 22:45:27 (permalink)
im doing the frp install now and it is a pain in the but!! How did you guys do the ceiling? im using the frp liquid nail adhesive and its not holding well.
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2014/09/10 08:43:24 (permalink)
j.lamboy
im doing the frp install now and it is a pain in the but!! How did you guys do the ceiling? im using the frp liquid nail adhesive and its not holding well.

lamboy, I answered you on my post as well but are you using the rivets too? If not you should. Either that or change the material to something more rigid. I'd be real concerned about the contracting and expanding of the adhesive due to temp changes. Where I am my trailer gets to 120 F in the summer and -15 F in the winter. I didn't use glue at all. I started out using glue but then ripped it all out and re-did it. No issues at all. Although I did insulate my ceiling with white styro foam, If I could re-do that part I'd have sprayed either with instulation or a rubberized coating all of the metal studs (beams) and trailer skin prior to putting up the plywood.
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2050
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2014/09/10 10:51:28 (permalink)
Don't know what type of adhesive was used in my trailer, after five years there are no issues. There are no screws and I had similar weather conditions for three years.
Inkys
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
Re:FRP Ceiling Installation Methods 2014/09/13 15:29:13 (permalink)
Regarding Stainless Screws corroding:
SS should take a lot before it corrodes, but there may be an explanation that's not about water to explain it.

I've recently done some reading (So I'm no expert) and discovered the concept of "Sacrificial" related to metals, especially when Zinc (galvanized) is involved. Turns out zinc can cause other metals to corrode, so if you had some galvanized metal in contact with the SS screws, that may have been why they corroded.

The basic theory: The reason galvanized steel endures better than regular steel is because zinc is sacrificial to steel, which means Zinc will absorb the corrosion (until used up) before the steel corrodes. But when other metal are involved it's not as simple.

1. There is a hierarchy of metals. The least/most Noble (on periodic table) determines which ones are sacrificial which others. I don't have a list handy. You'll have to google it.
2. When dissimilar metals are in contact AND Zinc is present on one of them, it creates an electrical charge that accelerates corrosion.
So when multiple metals are in contact and one or more are galvanized, the most sacrificial will corrode 1st, and much faster than if no zinc was present. Maybe that was SS in Roadkill's case.

Personally I'm avoiding anything galvanized.
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1