FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15213
2003/10/15 15:31:37 (permalink)

FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe

Our local WalMart had a mess of pears in the fruit dept. this weekend at $.50 a lb. They looked and tasted pretty good, so we bought several pounds. Jan decided to try a recipe we found on Epicurious for "PEAR BUTTER". It turned out great !!!
I recommend this one.

We also found a bunch of pineapples at the same place for $.98 each. They were fully ripe, but not fermenting yet...I have eaten more fresh pineapple than I have seen in years !!! Starting to sing 'Tiny Bubbles' and do my Don Ho impersonation !!

PEAR BUTTER WITH CARDAMOM AND CINNAMON

Use on your favorite toast for breakfast or spoon over vanilla ice cream for dessert.
5 pounds ripe pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/3 cups Johannisberg Riesling wine (We used an already open bottle of Korbels extra-dry Champagne)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

Combine pears, wine and lemon juice in heavy large Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until pears are tender, occasionally stirring and pushing pears into liquid to submerge, about 20 minutes.

Working in batches, transfer mixture to processor; puree.(We used a ricer instead of a processor) Return to same pot. Add sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Simmer over low heat until mixture thickens and mounds slightly on spoon, stirring often and partially covering if mixture splatters, about 2 hours.(4-5 hours in a crock-pot) Transfer hot pear butter to clean jars. Cover and cool. Refrigerate. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Makes about 3 2/3 cups.

Bon Appétit
February 1996

NOTE..Comments in Blue are our custoomizing of the recipe.

14 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/16 18:07:56 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks, Mr. Mayor! I love fruit "butters", and this sounds fantastic.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/16 21:08:23 (permalink)
    gotta agree with Bushie---this looks really good and my nieghbor was just compalaining if an overabundance of pears too!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/16 21:23:50 (permalink)
    Guys,
    After Tuesdays wind/rain storm lots of leaves, etc(fruit) on the ground from wind.... We stopped along the road where we saw a large pear tree had shed about 1/2 it's crop. Jan asked the lady at the house if we could get some pears if they weren't going to use them. She offered us the drops saying she was going to pick the tree soon for their use. We gathered 35 lbs of really nice pears that had been on the ground less than 12 hours. Multiple batchs of Pear butter will be made this weekend if the fruit softens up a bit by then.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/16 21:42:11 (permalink)
    Hey, Mr. Mayor, have you tried making persimmon butter??

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/17 00:03:47 (permalink)
    I had an interesting reaction to my first of the season Persimmon Pudding, Bushie.... Since it is all downhill between here and Texas I may show you the results someday soon !!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/17 04:52:02 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, 35 pounds of pears ought to yield excess pear butter. You can share some of that delectable dessert to some of your roadfood buddies.
    I like the thought of that along with some Mayfields vanilla ice cream and some Mello Joy coffee.

Southern Indiana ain't that far from Knoxville. Perhaps Bushie and I can take a drive up your way and relieve you of your excess pints.

It seems that we have an excess crop of wild persimmons. Maybe we can bring a couple of bushels of those as we drive up and you can use your culinary skills to utilize that neat type of fall harvest.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/17 12:03:21 (permalink)
    Paul,
    We froze some pint bags of pureed persimmons to try over the winter I will make another try with some of them when I am sure the that the first effort is cured. About 50% of those wild persimmons have fallen, with a frost on this list for tonight we may see the rest hit the tarps soon.
    I am suprised at the number of people who have 'producing' fruit trees on their property, but let the fruit drop and go to waste. We had neighbors in SoCal who had several apricot and plum trees, and they enjoyed the blooming in the spring, but never touched the fruit later in the season. Here we don't see it as much, but as you drive some of the country roads here you can spot the fruit on the ground now and then. Thats how we came across the Pear Bonanza.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/17 12:12:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I had an interesting reaction to my first of the season Persimmon Pudding, Bushie.... Since it is all downhill between here and Texas I may show you the results someday soon !!!

That's OK, Mr. Mayor. We get enough of that stuff coming down from Oklahoma.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/17 14:45:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

That's OK, Mr. Mayor. We get enough of that stuff coming down from Oklahoma.

Hey!!! I HEARD THAT!" />
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/20 16:53:35 (permalink)
    Just made some apple butter over the weekend. Funny, my recipe had alcohol in it, too: calvados. I think there is a connection here between roadfood cooks and their liquor cabinets!

Meowzart
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/20 17:03:15 (permalink)
    oh baby!!....thanks a lot Al-the-Mayor, just what I need to keep my 6'4" 275lbs figure in tip top shape!...simply delicious, I tried it(easy to make) and slathered it on everything from Italian bread to ritz crackers(even the dog is not safe).....can I come over to your house sometime/
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/10/20 17:15:34 (permalink)
    I spent yesterday out at my ex inlaws farm pressing Apple, Cherry, Grape and Pear Ciders through a 150 year old cider press, with a yield of 132 gallons. We also did 4 open fire cooked black kettles of apple butter, amish style, full of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and such....I'm now the lucky possessor of 40 quarts of this wonderful stuff and 12 gallons of ciders. What they are not keeping for their consumption, goes to their church for sale in a fall festival next weekend.
    dolna
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/11/14 10:00:18 (permalink)
    Hello, not from NY, but from Nova Scotia.. (note: your registration process doesn't accommodate Canadian addresses!)

I just made the pear butter recipe... using Bosc pears (a winter pear) and found the pears can be ground, skins and all, in the food processor BEFORE cooking... this both saves time and cuts down on waste... and the resulting pear purée may also be substituted for apple sauce in quick breads. Pear skins don't seem to be "waxy" and tough like apple skins so maybe that's why they purée so nicely. However, to freeze pear purée, I'd recommend cooking it a bit first.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe 2003/11/14 10:19:42 (permalink)
    Dolna- Welcome to the group. We are always interrested in what our friends from the Great White North have to share. The pear butter seems to be a pretty forgiving recipe...working basically no matter what you do with it !! We have been substituting other fruits and find the best part is that it takes so little sugar to make it good, compared to the amount used in a Jelly or Jam.
    Glad to read of the success of the recipe with others.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1