Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/04/22 14:40:46 (permalink)

Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers

Has anyone actually purchased a unit from either Pro-Selections/Show Me or Accupro inc. at a home,Marine,or RV show from one of their demonstrations ? 

8 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/22 16:33:34 (permalink)
    Have no idea what you're talking about!
    What/who are they???
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/22 20:00:39 (permalink)
    I use the fagor classics for a lot of different things when quick turn is necessary.  The nice thing about the classic is you can release it quickly.  The lock mechanism is like a true pressure fryer system.  It's made like a tank, we have 3 and they are at least 15 years old and will work a lifetime.  I have no idea how their promoting these at shows, if it is in fact the fagor classic, but I can sure recommend them as a workhorse pressure cooker.  They look like this one:

http://www.epinions.com/r...lassic_Pressure_Cooker

I've also used it as a pressure fryer for home type batch sizes, too small to be efficient for commercial use, but its the only one I'd ever trust to pressure fry in.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/22 20:52:24 (permalink)
    If you dig deep in the archives here (under pressure frying), Fagor by far was the winner.
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/22 21:46:34 (permalink)
    Hey Rod. I'm no stranger to these clamp style cookers either. I own 4 of them ranging from 4.5L-10L that I've had about the same amount of time you've had yours. I also own a conventional Fagor 8/4 Duo set that's more trouble then it's worth. Have to admit that these tanks have to be the best pressure cookers ever made and super easy to clean and maintain. Never a problem in all the years. Only thing dangerous about them is the massive weight. 

What I'm wondering about is both of these show companies hawk the Magefesa Star and the Fagor Classic in both straight and convex bases using their own brand names such as Supercooker and Pressure Magic respectively as pressure fryers and command prices starting in the $300 range, about double the worldwide fair market value. Both Magefesa and Fagor companies specifically warn against using oil although I've been using them for pressure frying for years without the slightest problem. These two show sales companies are trying to project an image that these are somehow different and special then the off-the-shelf versions. Magefesa USA and Fagor Espana insist that these pressure cookers are unsafe with oil, yet these show companies that parallel import them, sell them as pressure fryers at hyper inflated prices. Examining one of the Fagor's that they sell as a fryer shows absolutely no difference. They're marked as a Classic, same, lower 7.9PSI rating, Same tubular silicone gasket, heavy build,clamping system and clamp riveting, even the blow-off safety is the same. Ditto the Magefesa which is a lighter build version of the Classic, but robust none the less. I can't see a single shred of difference between them except the inflated  price. Only thing that I can think of is that you're paying the difference in liablility insurance. As you already know, these things are built to contain a hand grenade, let alone contain hot oil safely.

I just want to know what's the deal with the inflated prices and why the manufactuer's themselves vehemently claim that they are not designed to pressure fry.

http://www.accuproinc.com/    Magefesa Star sold as a "Supercooker"

http://www.pro-selections.com/   Fagor Classic sold as a "Pressure Magic"

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/22 22:04:42 (permalink)

What you said and, 
    I think a pressure cooker like the classic is made for people that know and understand how to use it.  By that meaning it has no idiot proof gadgets to insure the pressure is zero before the lid can release.  So their liability folks at Fagor do not recommend they import these directly, just let some other company handle it.  This seems to be only in the states, as I've purchased all mine directly thru stores here that sell Fagor, and I can still get them via the Fagor distributor here.  What makes the classic such a great tool is the very fact you can release it quickly, but as I think you know if you'd release it very very fast with it under pressure with oil you'd have a real mess and hot oil spraying everywhere.   Yet when I pressure steam root veggies, its really nice to be able to quick release to prevent over cooking, you'd never be able to do steamed veggies in a regular one, buy the time the thing let you take the lid off the veggies would be mush.  Anyway those 3 I have will be around much longer that me, as they show no signs of ever giving out, built like a tank!
    junk250
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/23 00:09:56 (permalink)
    I don't know about Fagor or Magefesa pressure fryers, but I know an option you might look into if you don't mind used/vintage.

In the late 70's- early 80's WEAR-EVER made the "Chicken Bucket", a low pressure Fryer. They were made in 4 qt./6 qt. stove top and a 6 qt. electric model.

I have 2 of them and they are great, awesome fried chicken in 15 minutes !

You can find them for 40-50 bucks like new.

LJM
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/23 08:51:55 (permalink)
    Don't know about a pressure fryer, but I used to have a Fagor ss pressure cooker.  It looked nice, but the metal bottom was too thin making it difficult to cook some dishes without burning.  Maybe the electric range was the cause of that.  IMO, I prefer the cheap Presto pressure cookers.

LJM
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 364
    Re:Fagor and Magefesa Pressure Fryers 2010/04/25 09:23:03 (permalink)
    i have a 10qt magefesa supercooker that a friend bought at a local homeshow, then got tired of having it around and sold it to me cheap.. :)

the only difference i can see between the non-pressure fryer models and the one i have is that the spinning weight regulator is slightly smaller and lighter, therefore gives a lower operating pressure for the fryer model. the pots and lid are the same, or at least they seem to be exactly the same..
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1