The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams

catwoman

• Total Posts: 40
Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Sun, 06/20/10 5:11 PM (permalink)
Going to Fairfield Ct for a long weekend. Will be staying at the Inn at Fairfield Beach. I would love to have a good Lobster Roll warm with butter, clam chowder (I like New England Style but I heard mention of a clear broth version??). When it comes to fried clams need lots of help here. Strips or Bellys. Which is better. I love raw clams so head me in that direction too.  I will be in Norwalk at the Aquarium and driving around a bit.  So please some recommendations.
Thanks

Amer5858

• Total Posts: 14
    Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Sun, 06/20/10 5:15 PM (permalink)
    Belly belly belly oh and did i say order the whole clams with bellies........if you have had your fill of seafood try Wilson's bbq in fairfield.  I have a child at Fairfield U and we love the Pulled pork sandwiches at Wilson's.  Also Super duper Weenie for dogs.  Enjoy

Michael Stern

Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Sun, 06/20/10 6:10 PM (permalink)
      Most of the great clams and chowder are farther east along the coast, but in Fairfield County, you'll do well at the Westfair Fish Market. It's very casual, but top-quality and not at all far from Norwalk.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
        Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Sun, 06/20/10 9:22 PM (permalink)
        You want rubber, try clam strips......you want Nirvana, get them with bellies.  I realize not everyone's "cup of tea" so to speak........but theyare the real thing!

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
          Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Sun, 06/20/10 10:41 PM (permalink)
          Here are a couple of recommendations for Norwalk, just in case:

The South Norwalk (SONO) Seaport Seafood Restaurant (near the aquarium) is a nice little place with moderate prices and a casual atmosphere. I had great fried oysters, fried clam bellies, and lobster there. You may have to wait in line to get a seat.

http://www.sonoseaportseafood.com/

Osetra, also in South Norwalk (near the aquarium), is a fairly expensive, casual-upscale restaurant, but the food is so good I figured I'd recommend it. Excellent fried clam bellies, oysters and clams on the half shell, wonderful fish dishes (including the best bass I've ever eaten). Reservations recommended.

http://www.osetrasono.com/

The Rowayton Seafood Restaurant (in Rowayton, a village of Norwalk) is a favorite of mine, but it can be a bit expensive and it has an upscale neighborhood feel to it. The fried clam bellies are excellent, as is most everything else I've had. Reservations usually essential.

http://www.rowaytonseafood.com/

catwoman

Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Thu, 07/8/10 11:24 AM (permalink)
            Thank you all for your recommendations. I did go to the South Norwalk (SONO) Seaport Seafood Restaurant . I went early they open at 11:00 am and I got there at 11:30. I was seated outside on a picnic table over looking the water. The view was nice.I started with 1/2 dozen clams on the half shell which were nice and fresh.  I asked the price of the whole belly clams which were $19.00. They came with choice of potato and then corn on the cob or coleslaw. It started going down hill at this point. The clams were greasy, I never got my coleslaw or saw a waiter after getting my fried clams. No on asked me if everything was ok, or if I wanted another lemonade in fact I had to wave down a busboy and ask him to get me the check. I was very disappointed in the service and not impressed with the food.
            I was staying at the Inn at Fairfield Beach and my room had a dining area so I went to the Westfair Fish Market in Westport   on Rte 1 going towards Norwalk on right side of Road . I loved this place. I went there twice. First it is at the back of the strip mall. If you see the Westfair mall pull in and go around back. Friday night this place was hopping. There are about 3 tables inside and maybe 3 outside. It is basically a take out joint. I ordered the Hot Lobster Roll. It was on a toasted buttered hot roll and the lobster was hot and buttery and wonderful. I think the price was $16.00. I ordered a small Rhode Island clam chowder $2.50 and fell in love. This is the clear chower that was like drinking the slightly salty  sea with clams celery and potatoes in it. I liked this place so much I went back the next night and ordered a Lobster dinner and a dozen clams on the half shell and more clam chowder. All was right in my world.   They make everything while you wait. It can get busy but you can call in your order ahead of time. I highly recommend this place. The lobster dinner was a special Friday night so check or ask for specials. The guys at the counter are nice and of course greet all the locals by name.
            <message edited by catwoman on Wed, 07/21/10 8:57 AM>

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
              Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Thu, 07/8/10 11:44 AM (permalink)
              What's the name of the second place -- the one you loved?  It didn't post, probably because you haven't yet made enough posts to put up a link. 

catwoman

Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Thu, 07/8/10 11:54 AM (permalink)
                Good catch Rumaki. I went back in and added.

catwoman

Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Mon, 07/26/10 8:49 AM (permalink)
                  I went back to Ct for another weekend. I stayed in Stratford CT at the Marnick's Rodeway Inn right on the water. Since Stratford is still in Fairfield Ct. I'd thought I just add to this discussion. First it was close to 100 degree so I did not want to move away from the shore. Low and behold there is the Marnick's resturant located in the motel. This is basically a diner with a million dollar water view. The menu stated they were Voted Best Lobster Roll so how could I resist. There is outside seating but I opted for inside my first mistake. NO AC.  It was an exceptionly hot day and they did not even have all the ceiling fans going.  I started with a bowl of steamers which were wonderful but would have liked a piece of Italian bread to soak up the  broth. I ordered a small house salad which was iceberg lettuce, pitted black olives, slice of green pepper, and cukes. It was fresh and refreshing. I was beginning to sweat (not glow) but sweat heavily at this point.  The famous lobster roll came. It was on a small HAMBURGER ROLL.  I don't even know if there was butter on the lobster, there wasn't that much lobster on it. Clearly I was disappointed. Came with lots of fries (frozen and undercooked) and a decent cole slaw. I had a Blue Moon Beer with dinner. My bill before tip. $39.00 plus change. Worth it NO.  I really wished I tried the place down the street. Next time I will or drive back to the Westfair Fish Market.  The place at the motel was open at 6:30 for breakfast but I didn't even bother.

tonemonster2

• Total Posts: 187
                    Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Mon, 07/26/10 9:14 AM (permalink)
                    I had a similar experience at the SONO Seafood Restaurant. Million dolllar views, crappy service. Across the Norwalk River are some decent places, a clam shack called Overtons' and a slightly more formal joint called Harbor View. Another neat spot is the Sunset Grille which is in a Marina next to the town beach. Also try the Black Duck on the Saugatuck River right by 95 in Westport. Best bar in Fairfield County, and recently featured on the Food Network.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                      Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Mon, 07/26/10 6:00 PM (permalink)

Cat Woman--------I remember that movie, starred a little French actress----cute name that is lost in space.  But to the subject at hand-------was it Simone Simone ? 

I am planning a weekend in that area and wondered how the Inn at the Beach turned out.  From the web site it looks fine---what was your experience?

catwoman

Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Tue, 07/27/10 6:56 AM (permalink)
                        I stayed at the Inn at Fairfield Beach for 2 nights in June. First they have off road parking, some of the lot is actually under a portion of the building. I stayed in the Garden room which is ground level, most other rooms are accessed by stairways on the outside of the building. The property is a little worn but very clean and comfortable and bright. The Bathroom did have a hairdryer and a little basket of premium shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower cap and shoe shine pad.  I had a dining room with table, 2 chairs, sink, mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. No stove. In the fridge they give you muffins, cereal, small container of milk and a couple of bottles of water. I also received a lime green and white beach bag. I had a loveseat to sit and watch TV on, Older type TV not a flat screen and got a decent amount of channels. The bed was a queen which was firm. I had a seating area outside but it was right next to the sidewalk. The beach is across the street and a short walk away. There is a deli across the street and a liquor store. During the day there is a lot of car and foot traffic but it does quiet down. On the other side of the  motel is the Sea Grape Restaurant which I did not try but you might get some noise from if a big game is on.  There are Swanky Dogs in the area but please try the  Westfair Fish and Chips in Westport   I brought my dinners back to my room and they were still hot or else you can eat it there on a picnic table if you can get a seat. . They do have specials, when I was there the Lobster dinner was on special Friday night. Lobster Roll was great and please try the Rhode Island Clam Chowder and let me know what you think of it.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                          Re:Fairfield CT. Looking for Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder and Fried Clams Tue, 07/27/10 9:09 AM (permalink)
                          Thanks for the info on the motel-----we will be running around all day and only need a place to sleep------have friends in Fairfield, in Westerly RI, in Westport and family in Greenwich CT -----so  It might be a good spot to stay.

I have stopped at the Westport on one visit----actually met our friends there ---they had recommended it----and it was great.  Thanks again---

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com