Fake Food Recipes

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/06 02:38:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndyNYC1

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

CAN CASSEROLE


2 cans of peas
2 cans of corn
2 cans Hormel tamales
2 cans of Chili
1 can of black olives



You can get CANNED tamales? Really? I've never seen such a thing. Is it regional? Is it edible? Sounds bizzare! Anyone have apicture of this?


They're very much like Franco-American spaghetti-o ravioli things, but with chili powder in the sauce.
#31
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Joined: 2003/07/19 20:15:00
  • Location: Ashland, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/06 08:52:48 (permalink)
You don't really want a picture of them, am I right Elise? They might be tasty, I have never had them, but the are not astetically pleasing.
#32
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Joined: 2003/07/19 20:15:00
  • Location: Ashland, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/06 09:12:18 (permalink)
I just contributed to the better halve's pot luck at the office by making my own fake food dessert in honor of this thread. Umm, no, that's a lie, I got it from Taste of Home magazine. It involves melting a large bar of Hershey's with almonds down with some marshmallow in some milk, letting that cool down, and then mixing that into a tub of CoolWhip ( I now use real cream, makes it less cloyingly sweet).This you spoon into a pie crust and refrigerate.

Not one of my finest culinary creations, but darnit, it's tasty and people like it around here
#33
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/06 10:16:52 (permalink)


[img][/img]



Canned Tamales - yes there is such a thing. They can be found in any grocery store at least in this area. I believe they come about 10 to a can. Each one is wrapped in some kind of paper facsimile of a corn husk. They look like a "real" tamale, with the corn/masa outer layer and beef/vegetable protein filling inside.

I have never eaten them "straight up", have only bought them a couple of times when replicating mom's casserole.

Here is a link to them, with pictures!

http://www.pwclub.com/en-us/dept_179.html

#34
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/06 10:28:50 (permalink)
Liketoeat- I am the same way about the dressing, and we have always called it "Yankee dressing" as a means of identification.

Last year, some friends of ours transplanted to Houston from Chicago invited us for an early Thanksgiving dinner. My husband whispered to me when we arrived "It's Yankee dressing!". I told him to be brave and do the best he could, then watched him try to hide it under turkey.
#35
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3966
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
  • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/06 12:58:23 (permalink)
Gebhardt's is a maker of the canned tamales. I haven't had them in years, but they were a good 3 am snack when I was younger-----and thinner.
#36
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
  • Joined: 2003/05/26 15:47:00
  • Location: Marvell, AR
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/07 16:58:39 (permalink)
Lone Star - You are my kind of folks. Thanks for your support re the "Yankee dressing", and my condolences to you and the husband over your last Thanksgiving dinner experience. Last Thanksgiving I was again visiting friends in south central Illinois, but a different family (forefathers of this family having originated down in Kentucky, and thank goodness they had retained the knowledge of what real (cornbread) dressing is). Theirs was most delicious. Don't know why I've experienced "Yankee dressing" (light bread dressing) so often in that area when all their other cooking is classically southern. And LoneStar and EdSails, I know about those canned tamales. I like them best when drowned with enough chili. I remember as a kid an old fellow who used to sell "real" tamales from a cart on the street. At night he'd have a coal oil lantern hanging from his cart as light for making his sales. Don't know if they'd pass today's sanitation standards, but back then they were surely good and I never knew anyone to expire from having eaten them.
#37
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3966
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
  • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/07 18:39:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

I remember as a kid an old fellow who used to sell "real" tamales from a cart on the street. At night he'd have a coal oil lantern hanging from his cart as light for making his sales. Don't know if they'd pass today's sanitation standards, but back then they were surely good and I never knew anyone to expire from having eaten them.


A few weeks ago I was at the Mexican market that I do some of my shopping at when I noticed a van parked out front selling homemade tamales. They weren't great----taste was good but light on the pork and chicken. They did satisfy the craving though!
#38
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Joined: 2000/11/11 10:44:00
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/11 00:15:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

I whole-heartedly agree. No amount of anything could have turned that fake food into real food!! Oh my!!! " />

quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by Julia I

quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

one of the desserts on the Cool Whip package, etc.

It consisted of Twinkies sliced lengthwise and layered on the bottom, then in layers, vanilla instant pudding, Cool Whip, and chopped Heath bars on top. It was classic Beloit. And, no, I didn't eat it.


But it was such classic fake food!!



My mom just started doing the same thing with chocolate chip cookies! She can't understand why I don't like it since I love trifle. But it's not trifle. It's dry chocolate chip cookies covered with instant pudding and cool whip.


"Trifle" made with chocolate chip cookies, instant pudding and cool whip, hmm? I'll have to pass that along to my cousin, she'll be the hit of her next baby shower.
#39
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
  • Joined: 2003/05/07 16:26:00
  • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/11 09:27:39 (permalink)
Julia, you might as well send this one along to your cousin, too.

5 MINUTE RASPBERRY PIE

35 large marshmallows (1 bag)
1/ 2 cup milk
1 package (10 oz.) frozen raspberries in syrup
1 (8 to 10 oz.) carton Cool Whip, thawed
1/ 2 cup mini chocolate chips
2 purchased chocolate crumb crusts (the dark choc. Oreo ones work best)

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine marshmallows and milk. Cook on High for 1 to 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Stir in raspberries. Fold in whipped topping and chocolate chips. Pour into crusts. Refrigerate or freeze until filling is stiff.

Notes: You can save a couple of the raspberries to garnish the tops of the pies. Frozen strawberries can be substituted.

Can be wrapped tightly and frozen for unexpected guests. Just thaw in refrigerator an hour before serving.

If you’re feeling decadent, only get one crust and pile the filling a lot higher, then eat the rest immediately.
#40
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Joined: 2000/11/11 10:44:00
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/11 22:50:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Julia, you might as well send this one along to your cousin, too.

5 MINUTE RASPBERRY PIE

35 large marshmallows (1 bag)
1/ 2 cup milk
1 package (10 oz.) frozen raspberries in syrup
1 (8 to 10 oz.) carton Cool Whip, thawed
1/ 2 cup mini chocolate chips
2 purchased chocolate crumb crusts (the dark choc. Oreo ones work best)


No instant pudding, darn it all. It may not pass muster. But maybe the inclusion of marshmallows will start a new trend. Thanks, RubyRose!
#41
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
  • Joined: 2003/01/26 03:09:00
  • Location: Victorville, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/11 23:17:44 (permalink)
How about Fried Rice made with SPAM? Pretty Good Stuff!Isn't SPAM a fake food? LOL
#42
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
  • Location: Wilmington, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/11 23:26:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

How about Fried Rice made with SPAM? Pretty Good Stuff!Isn't SPAM a fake food? LOL


Nonsense, a lot of perfectly good little SPAMs give their lives for that product. Why, I had a cousin, 3 times removed, lived out in the country a piece. He made a small fortune back during WWII raising them critters. Had a government contract for 'em he did.

Ocdreamr - living in an alternate universe!
#43
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 08:59:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Nonsense, a lot of perfectly good little SPAMs give their lives for that product. Why, I had a cousin, 3 times removed, lived out in the country a piece. He made a small fortune back during WWII raising them critters. Had a government contract for 'em he did.


I had a pet Spam when I was little. An adorable creature. One day, a visiting uncle cooked and ate it while I was at school. I've never gotten over that...
#44
topferment
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Joined: 2002/09/17 03:49:00
  • Location: Wichita, KS
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 11:31:21 (permalink)
Here's one I was served often as a child:

Meatballs in "Tomato" Sauce

1lb ground beef
1 egg
1 small onion, diced
8 saltine crackers, crushed into crumbs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

2 cans Campbells tomato soup mixed with 1/2 cup water

Mix first seven ingredients and form into meatballs. Brown them all over in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain meatballs and place in a baking dish. Cover with tomato soup mixture and bake at 325*F for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Think this was served with pasta? No way. It was served with plenty of home made mashed potatoes. Actually the soup mixed with the meat made a pretty good gravy for the potatoes.
#45
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
  • Location: Wilmington, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 11:37:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Nonsense, a lot of perfectly good little SPAMs give their lives for that product. Why, I had a cousin, 3 times removed, lived out in the country a piece. He made a small fortune back during WWII raising them critters. Had a government contract for 'em he did.


I had a pet Spam when I was little. An adorable creature. One day, a visiting uncle cooked and ate it while I was at school. I've never gotten over that...


Oh Bushie, how terrible. I was never allowed to have one for a pet. My mom said we shouldn't play with our dinner...
#46
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 12:02:17 (permalink)
Topferment - add some raw rice to the meatball mixture and you have one of my kids favorite meals of "porcupine meatballs"!

I add some bell pepper too.
#47
topferment
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Joined: 2002/09/17 03:49:00
  • Location: Wichita, KS
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 14:06:46 (permalink)
Lone Star - That does sounds good. I now usually spice the recipe up by adding some fresh garlic, parsely, oregano and even lemon juice, but then it starts to stray too far from my childhood memories and I have make it like Mom's.
My kids especially like certain dishes when we make up unusual names for them too.
#48
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 21:48:57 (permalink)
Then you can put those meatballs in a crockpot full of grape jelly and chili sauce...I love that stuff! I like cut-up hot dogs in that sauce when the ends get all puffy...mmmmm...preservatives, aghhhh
#49
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 21:51:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

How about Fried Rice made with SPAM? Pretty Good Stuff!Isn't SPAM a fake food? LOL


Nonsense, a lot of perfectly good little SPAMs give their lives for that product. Why, I had a cousin, 3 times removed, lived out in the country a piece. He made a small fortune back during WWII raising them critters. Had a government contract for 'em he did.

Ocdreamr - living in an alternate universe!


What's great is that you can raise more head of Spam per acre since they're rectangular and stackable. And you don't need to put bells around their necks because you can hear then clancking against eachother a mile away. But watch out for those stampedes!
#50
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
  • Location: Wilmington, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/12 22:24:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
[br
What's great is that you can raise more head of Spam per acre since they're rectangular and stackable. And you don't need to put bells around their necks because you can hear then clancking against eachother a mile away. But watch out for those stampedes!


Oh I know, cousin Hezekiah had 3 or 4 thousand head on his 3 acre ranch & then one day somebody approached the fence carrying a can opener. scared those SPAM to death. They started to stampede & that was it for cousin Hezekiah ... just a grease spot in the pasture.! His wife LulaBell was so upset she sold the place & moved to Hawaii to live with a beach boy There was talk she took the can opener with her! She had heard SPAM goes good with pineapple!
#51
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/13 09:05:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr


Oh Bushie, how terrible. I was never allowed to have one for a pet. My mom said we shouldn't play with our dinner...


Ha! Good one, OC!
#52
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
  • Joined: 2001/03/28 17:31:00
  • Location: Laurel, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/13 13:14:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Then you can put those meatballs in a crockpot full of grape jelly and chili sauce...I love that stuff! I like cut-up hot dogs in that sauce when the ends get all puffy...mmmmm...preservatives, aghhhh


Elise, try one of those packages of mini cocktail franks in the grape jelly/chili sauce mixture. Perfect night-in-front-of-the-TV food!!
#53
chilidawgguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Joined: 2003/08/10 10:03:00
  • Location: Centreville, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/13 16:08:35 (permalink)
There is an out of print cookbook entitled Instant Haute Cuisine. The recipes use a variety of canned and packaged goods as short cuts for the preparation of classic French dishes. We could do a whole 'nother thread on 101 uses for Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup.
#54
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/13 18:30:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Then you can put those meatballs in a crockpot full of grape jelly and chili sauce...I love that stuff! I like cut-up hot dogs in that sauce when the ends get all puffy...mmmmm...preservatives, aghhhh


Elise, try one of those packages of mini cocktail franks in the grape jelly/chili sauce mixture. Perfect night-in-front-of-the-TV food!!


I keep meaning to try them, but when I go to the store, the hot dogs are so much cheaper my thrifty Scottish side comes out!
#55
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
  • Location: Wilmington, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/13 22:15:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Then you can put those meatballs in a crockpot full of grape jelly and chili sauce...I love that stuff! I like cut-up hot dogs in that sauce when the ends get all puffy...mmmmm...preservatives, aghhhh


Elise, try one of those packages of mini cocktail franks in the grape jelly/chili sauce mixture. Perfect night-in-front-of-the-TV food!!


I keep meaning to try them, but when I go to the store, the hot dogs are so much cheaper my thrifty Scottish side comes out!


Elise,
I was always told regular hot dogs were always best for this type of preperation. The cocktail franks are like little hot dogs, whereas the regular hot dogs have to be cut in chunks. The cutting opens the inside of the dog toallow absorbing of the flavors while the casings on the little dogs keep the flavors out.

ocdreamr - famous for her bourbon dogs
#56
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
  • Joined: 2001/05/10 19:50:00
  • Location: Morgantown, WV
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/26 22:03:48 (permalink)
This recipe might satisy the yearnings for both Corn Souffle and Cornbread stuffin'

Jiffy Corn Puddin'
4 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 Can cream style corn or skillet corn(Glory Foods makes a grand can of this)
6 eggs
1 16 oz carton sour cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Throw all ingredients in a big bowl and stir like crazy until well blended. Pour into a well greased Bundt Pan or else a high casserole. Bake for approx 60 mins. Only let cool very slightly and unmold from pan. Cut into slices and serve. Great with Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.......or some good ol' country ham or Fried Chicken
#57
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/27 02:28:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

This recipe might satisy the yearnings for both Corn Souffle and Cornbread stuffin'

Jiffy Corn Puddin'
4 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 Can cream style corn or skillet corn(Glory Foods makes a grand can of this)
6 eggs
1 16 oz carton sour cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Throw all ingredients in a big bowl and stir like crazy until well blended. Pour into a well greased Bundt Pan or else a high casserole. Bake for approx 60 mins. Only let cool very slightly and unmold from pan. Cut into slices and serve. Great with Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.......or some good ol' country ham or Fried Chicken


Just to make it a little more fake-y, my mom replaces 1/3 of the cornbread mix with Bisquick. We call it Napalm Casserole because one Thanksgiving my mom's spoon came up out of the souffle dish as mine went down, and that stuff stuck to my hand and burned and burned like nothing I have ever experienced. But I still make it every holiday, which is quite a testament to its yummy corny goodness.
#58
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
  • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
  • Location: Rentiesville, OK
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/27 07:00:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

How about Fried Rice made with SPAM? Pretty Good Stuff!Isn't SPAM a fake food? LOL


Nonsense, a lot of perfectly good little SPAMs give their lives for that product. Why, I had a cousin, 3 times removed, lived out in the country a piece. He made a small fortune back during WWII raising them critters. Had a government contract for 'em he did.

Ocdreamr - living in an alternate universe!


I think i met him--lives next door to my cousin the nauga rancher!!
#59
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
  • Joined: 2003/05/07 16:26:00
  • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Fake Food Recipes 2003/08/27 08:55:13 (permalink)
Big excitement in our neck of the woods. The county fair started yesterday and tonight at 7 P.M. is the judging for the National Best Spam Recipe Contest. Of course, the winner has to go on to compete with all those other county fair winners from elsewhere. Maybe we'll be lucky enough for our local newpaper to post the winning recipe and I can copy it here.
#60
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1