Fake Fruit Loops

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
2007/04/20 17:42:24 (permalink)

Fake Fruit Loops

I recently bought some fake Fruit Loops at Food City. They tasted pretty good but the dye in the cereal made my urine turn green and other things turned green. Scared hell out of me. I thought my liver had turned inside out due to evening libation.

I gave the fake Fruit Loops to my dog who also had a similar problem.

They tasted OK but the scare was not worth it. I now enjoy my evening libation sans fake Fruit Loops.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

11 Replies Related Threads

sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 18:31:57 (permalink)
    Paul ...the doctor sitting next to me said she wouldn't think a food dye would turn your urine green.........
    Question , have you eaten a lot of asparagus lately or have you taken any medication for a bladder infection ??
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 19:33:38 (permalink)
    Sounds very scary, Sundancer. I do hope you are all right. We are in a very different world than the one we grew up in. We are routinely fed genetically modified foodstuffs, but have no right to know what products are genetically modified. We are increasingly fed products with ingredients from foreign countries that have no food purity standards whatsoever. Again, we have no right to know this.

What we do have is the USDA and FDA. I just wonder who they are working for? Not the people that pay them that's for sure.

I was tempted to end with a light joke such as "are you sure you were not wearing green sunglasses", but I think our current food crises in the US is such a serious matter that it defies light humor. I know I'm not laughing.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 20:18:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I recently bought some fake Fruit Loops at Food City. They tasted pretty good but the dye in the cereal made my urine turn green and other things turned green. Scared hell out of me. I thought my liver had turned inside out due to evening libation.

I gave the fake Fruit Loops to my dog who also had a similar problem.

They tasted OK but the scare was not worth it. I now enjoy my evening libation sans fake Fruit Loops.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    LMAO!!! Paul, glad you're okay but that was the funniest thing i've heard all week! Even the header, "Fake Fruit Loops" cracked me up!
    motherrobyn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 21:58:08 (permalink)
    On a related note, has anyone tried the new fruit Cheerios? I had one bowl - kind of gross. Not at all like my beloved Froot Loops. The preschoolers that I teach preferred the fruity Cheerios 3 to 1 over the plain ones, if that tells you anything.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 22:07:35 (permalink)
    the SAME thing happened to me in college! not the pee part though, the "other" stuff.
    trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 22:46:46 (permalink)
    I worked the summer after grad school on a local short line railroad's track gang. We would buy gallon bottles of real cheap fruit punch and keep them in the refrigerator in the enginehouse. Everyone had his own labelled jug and would gulp out of it on break. One day, somebody turned down the refrigerator's thermostat and all of the punch partially froze. We got all of the dye in the gallon in the first swallow. By the end of the day, we were all peeing in various colors. Total pandemonium! I figured out what happened because I had seen it happen before.

I had worked during college summers at a paper mill that made among other things colored construction paper. Most of the mill hands chewed tobacco. Every now and then, somebody would start stealing a "chaw" out of somebody else's locker. To catch the thief, they would mix a good pinch of powdered paper dye (red or green),mix it with a little tobacco and leave the bag out on the lunch table. Because kids might eat the paper, the dye was OK for human consumption. In a short time, you'd see somebody with red or green stains on his mouth. This stuff was so strong, it would stain the concrete when they spit. The thief would be marked for days.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 22:56:13 (permalink)
    To tell the truth, I have not had boxed name brand cereal in over 40 years. To me cereal is cooked rice, grits, oatmeal (the Irish kind rather than the Quaker kind) and if I am in the mood for a puffy light cereal, popcorn although not shot from guns it is the original explosive light cereal.

Personally, before I would eat this highly processed expensive boxed crap, I will eat the real deal at a fraction of the price.

For me breakfast is all about eggs, sausage, ham or bacon, home fries and toast with plenty of coffee. I don't bother too much anymore doing this at home, but I do have a local diner that does it all well.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/20 23:58:49 (permalink)
    oh greyghost, I love you and your breakfasts!! but, did you see my thread "been trying to diet so..." THAT is breakfast for me, too. I'll eat cereal when I'm in a hurry or right now that I'm really trying to lose few pounds that i've gained since having my son 15 months ago....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/23 08:02:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sizz

Paul ...the doctor sitting next to me said she wouldn't think a food dye would turn your urine green.........
    Question , have you eaten a lot of asparagus lately or have you taken any medication for a bladder infection ??

Dye will definately turn your urine green or other colors. My deceased wife bought me a birthday cake for my 60th birthday and had the iceing colored black. The ensuing results scared hell out of me.

The fake fruit loops did the same.

Asparagus will stink you out of your house.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/23 08:28:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by sizz

Dye will definately turn your urine green or other colors. My deceased wife bought me a birthday cake for my 60th birthday and had the iceing colored black. The ensuing results scared hell out of me.

The fake fruit loops did the same.

Asparagus will stink you out of your house.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

ROFLMAO!
    vanguardmom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Fake Fruit Loops 2007/04/24 01:23:13 (permalink)
    When I gave my grandkids purple koolade (never again) it turned their p**p neon green! When I told my son and d-i-l, they said when they marched in the Santa Clara Vanguard drum and bugle corps they were warned that drinking purple gatorade would do the same thing. Quite unnerving, I must say. So fruit loop-y type cereal doing something similar no longer surprises me, but it has certainly made me swear off serving or consuming artificially colored food!

clp
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1