Fake food

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Hotrodder
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
2003/08/03 16:27:35 (permalink)

Fake food

Just wondering if I'm the only one who likes fake food. I love instant potatos, TV dinner salsbury steak, and I'm even fond of the "hambugers" you get out of vending machines. I'm not compairing the taste to the real version, but how it stands on it's own. (Kinda how Diet DrPepper tastes good but nothing like Real DrPepper.)

BTW I love this site!

97 Replies Related Threads

Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 16:52:31 (permalink)
    Hotrodder...

I am exactly the same with many foods!

Nothing better than a fried Spam sammich piled high with slaw and topped with a good mustard sauce.

I still LOVE the taste of boxed Kraft Dinner. I CAN tell the difference between it and other brands and simply HATE all the homemade recipes....I have tried many that claim to be the best...but they fall woefully short of the "blue box".

For many years I preferred hot dogs to steak! YIKES! Still love my dogs and many times I still choose them over a steak.

Stogie

Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 17:02:00 (permalink)
    I like the school burgers, the ones that were mostly vegetable proteins, as well as school pizza (the rectangular kind) always with a bowl of corn, like I remember from my academic years.

Edited to add: Oh how could I miss my addiction to that neon orange nacho cheese sauce? Interesting fact, my dad is close friends to the son of the originator of the nacho, Ignacio Anaya from Piedras Negras, Coahuila Mexico, a border town. Now if I could only get a deal on a cheese pump!
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 17:23:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Texicana

I like the school burgers, the ones that were mostly vegetable proteins, as well as school pizza (the rectangular kind) always with a bowl of corn, like I remember from my academic years.

Me too! We had hamburger buns with our TVP burgers that I think were potato rolls of some kind. Man, that was a long time ago.

I'm also a big fan of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Cheetos (gotta love that electric orange cheese) and the ultimate fake food, Velveeta ("Pasturized Process Cheese Food"--is that what cheeses eat?). And I've got a nostalgic thing for "Banana Flips" fake banana sponge cake folded like a taco around fake banana cream. Wonder if they still make those?
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 18:07:38 (permalink)
    There's a time and place for everything. There are times that I like TV dinners and I like cheese whiz on my steaks at a special place: Pat's in Philadelphia.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 18:13:30 (permalink)
    I'm "wit" CheeseWit regarding Whiz, although I prefer Jim's to Pat's (not trying to start a fight, though...) :) I'm also a big fan of Cool Whip, and kind of like Fluff, although it's been many years. And, while it may not be entirely fake, when I was a kid, I LOVED a chocolate peanut butter product called Koogle. All of my friends hated it, and it was off the market rather quickly, as I recall. To me, it tasted like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. To most, it tasted rancid, I guess.

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:02:40 (permalink)
    If you make the Kraft blue box PROPERLY,it will come out as creamy as any mac n cheese..but ya gotta cook it,not just dump everything in..There are certain frozen dinners that are actually pretty good-The Stouffers Chicken Fried steak is actually edible..better than some restaurants..REAL lumpy mashed taters for one..the Stouffers turkey aint bad either..and there is still a soft spot in the heart [literally!]for some of the Swansons stuff-the Fried Chicken can be good as well as the turkey...
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:06:10 (permalink)
    The ULTIMATE fake snack: A Fluffanutter washed down with cold Yoo-Hoo...yummmmmm

close enuff to Cheeseburgerdom to TASTE it
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:30:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

I'm "wit" CheeseWit regarding Whiz, although I prefer Jim's to Pat's (not trying to start a fight, though...) :) I'm also a big fan of Cool Whip, and kind of like Fluff, although it's been many years. And, while it may not be entirely fake, when I was a kid, I LOVED a chocolate peanut butter product called Koogle. All of my friends hated it, and it was off the market rather quickly, as I recall. To me, it tasted like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. To most, it tasted rancid, I guess.

I was JUST talking about Koogle! I LOVED that stuff! Peanut butter and chocolate! But then I remember it started getting grainy, like you wondered if there was sand or glass or something wrong in it, and then it just disappeared off the shelves. Thank got I found Nutella to save me.

There was also this stuff in a can called "fruit float" It was a hideous shade of purple and I was addicted to it. I guess it was kind of like jello mixed with cool whip, or yogurt mousse...it is indescribable.

Oh, and these weird sticks that were like dry, chewy, powdery, chocolate-like play-dough. They were called "Astronaut food" or something like that and came individually wrapped. They were awful and I loved them.

Kraft Mac and Cheese FOREVER!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:43:15 (permalink)
    those jello molds you get in the grocery, usually in the deli area. You know the ones, they have three colors in them, yellow,green & red. I like the ones that look like they have kool whip mixed in. Yes, I'm the one person that buys them.

Come on ConeyIslandLou only one more to go!!
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:46:22 (permalink)
    The classic fake food/drink: Tang. If it was good enough for the astronauts, it was good enough for me. For a while. Then I got sick of it. Can't drink it to this day.
    Hotrodder
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:24:01 (permalink)
    School pizza and tang pure yummy.

Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:35:04 (permalink)
    Praise God, I am home at last! I have seen the future and it is filled with people like me! When my wife leaves me over some of the things I try to persuade her should be on our dinner menu, will one of you folks marry me?

Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
    Campbell's Pepper Pot soup
    Michelini's one-serving meals
    Armour (?) frozen bacon cheeseburgers
    White Castles out of the freezer box at the supermarket
    Dehydrated scalloped potatoes
    Lipton's one-dish rice things--Oriental, e.g.
    Cracklins from Poche's in Breaux Bridge

And there will be more. MORE, MORE, MORE!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:47:03 (permalink)
    Anymore of this and I'll quit this site!
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:48:08 (permalink)
    Rick, I'll take a number for being wife #whatever, The only thing on your list I wouldn't eat is pepperpot, and even then I'm not sure

Wait til I break the news to the husband
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:56:51 (permalink)
    quote:

School Cafeteria Food in the South was great. It was all made from scratch. In the 60's, when I went to school we all tried to work in the cafeteria, even if it meant cleaning trays. Just so we could eat early, work through lunch then get first dibs on the leftovers. The cinnamon rolls were outstanding! The bread/rolls unbelievable! Good Times!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:12:01 (permalink)
    Glenn- I'm with ya man. THe yeast rolls in my elementary school in rural North Louisiana were as good or better than any rolls I have ever had.

There was another dish called Lexington CHicken Spaghetti (Lexington Elementary, Monroe LA) that is wonderful. It can be found in the Junior League Cookbook from Monroe called "Cotton COuntry Collection" A truly world class cookbook.

As far as getting back on topic, I love those big Gorton batter dipped fish planks, but always feel stupid eating them, since I live all of ten miles from the Gulf Of Mexico. But they are a good, easy way of making proper fish Tacos.

I used to be really fond of the entire line of La Choy Chow Mein products when I was in college. Food in the bottom can and a tasty can of noodles in the top. Haven't eaten it in years, but it kept me alive in college (along with Aunt Jemima and dairy products from school ag barn
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:21:51 (permalink)
    Loved Swanson's chicken pot pies with that slightly soggy crust on the bottom of the pan. Also the Night Hawk steak and tater dinners were yummy. They're still both available, but cant afford all those fat grams nowdays
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:22:42 (permalink)
    Child of the 70's here, and in my small towns in Texas a whole lot wasn't homemade in the cafeteria, but I still remember the greasy orange cheese and onion enchiladas on fridays!

Someone mentioned Nighthawk dinners, I have to eat two of those things cos they're soo small. And whatevers in that little yellow sauce packet is great too.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:37:22 (permalink)
    Rick F, pepper pot, doesn't that have tripe? Alright then, if it does, I'll eat it, since I have been known to eat menudo...
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 03:21:55 (permalink)
    I'm an elementary school teacher in Brooklyn, and I'm the only teacher who buys the school lunch. The chicken nuggets are good, a new addition I didn't have as a kid. The wings taste like metal. The veal patty is surprisingly crispy and tasty. Although they serve everything with a bun, even chicken nuggets. Filler I guess. The pizza is still sub-Stouffers and remains a kid favorite. I grew up in LA, so I had a lot of Mexican food in the cafeteria. NYC kids are deprived. I couldn't wait for Tacquito day. The chocolate milk is still a nice treat, although standing in front of class with a bellyful of fried veal patties and chocolate milk is not always too comfortable. The desserts, as the Sterns would say, are inconsequential. Even the kids won't eat it. Actually, the kids have discerning tastes. If something stinks, they throw out the whole tray. You want to talk about service with a 'tude, the lunch ladies are Ms. Ratchits with a hair net. They're nice to me, though. If I'm around they're nice to the kids, too. I guess the kids are nice to them as well. Anyways, if you plan on dining in a NYC public school for lunch, go with the veal patty or the nuggets, stay away from the baked chicken.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 03:31:07 (permalink)
    The LA Unified School District cinnamon rolls are legendary. I got the recipe and their secret was mixing cake crumbs in with the cinnamon.

The only boxed food I like is scalloped potatoes. I mix in a few fresh potatoes and some cream and snobby gourmets go nuts over them. I wish I could find frozen dinners I liked. It would make life so much easier.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:00:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Glenn- I'm with ya man. THe yeast rolls in my elementary school in rural North Louisiana were as good or better than any rolls I have ever had.

All of the rolls, breads and desserts at my early 70's high school were made from scratch, and they were outstanding. Shortly after I graduated a story was published in the local paper giving some recipes that were used in the schools. I treasure their recipes for butterscotch bars and cornmeal cookies! (Once I ate most of a batch of the cornmeal cookie recipe before it made it to the oven.)

Stoeffer's makes a mean frozen mac 'n cheese. Creamy, with macaroni that is cooked just right. Best of all, I am not tempted to eat enough for four people because the serving is only enough for two. (Don't ask if I can manage to eat only half of the package!)
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:09:10 (permalink)
    I cann't believe I am admitting this in public, but here goes....

My whole family likes to have those trays of salsibury steaks everyonce in a while, with Hungryjack potatoes. My kids call it "Fake steak and potatoes"." />

My mother used to give us an extra nickle on Cinammon roll day at our elementary school. I always like the school pizza and burgers to in a kind of sick fascination kind of way.

AND, you just can't beat ball-park nachos with that cheese in a can and the who-knows-what chili.

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:15:40 (permalink)
    quote:

Rick F, pepper pot, doesn't that have tripe? Alright then, if it does, I'll eat it, since I have been known to eat menudo...

You eat menudo? So that's what happened to that group....

What's menudo?
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:16:57 (permalink)
    Swanson's used to have a meatball TV dinner that came in a tin with mashed potatoes. THAT is true tasty fake food!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:45:44 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

What's menudo?

A dish made from the stomach of a cow and it is called tripe. Don't do it

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:45:48 (permalink)
    Phil, I actually went to a Menudo concert in the early 80's when I was too young to know any better!

Menudo is a chile, tripe and hominy soup.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:48:59 (permalink)
    quote:

What's menudo?

Tripe. I think of menudo as a New Mexican dish that's supposed to be good for hangovers, but haven't had any since I was much too young to need a remedy!
    We can add to my list:
    • High School cafeteria food

• Junior High hamburgers, which included cottage cheese for some unknown reason

• "Butter"ed movie popcorn

• Grocery store tapioca pudding

Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:51:43 (permalink)
    Cottage cheese? I won't touch that, nope, never, no way! Rick the New Mexico version of menudo ( and posole) differ a tiny bit from the Mexican versions, but it's worth a shot.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1