Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/17 13:56:34 (permalink)
I've thought about it, but never pulled the trigger. I have more known family than I can keep track of, so there has been no rush to add to the mix. One of my wife's cousins likes the phrase "cousins by the dozens", and uses it often.

I consider myself a true American, and suspect that I had people on both decks of the slave ships. DNA proof that I have some native American blood , too, would be nice.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/17 15:38:23 (permalink)
tmiles,
I do understand  how the volume of 'family' may preclude the need for a DNA testing situation. This particular case was one that we 'knew' thru oral history from the old country that we were 'probably' related. The DNA testing actually did lttle more than confirm that supposition. Since it puts the connecting link at "up to 14 generations" back It takes us out of the searchable history of any documentation in the old country of a link.  It does, however, confirm the link is really there, and that we are on good terms, exchanging communications and making periodic visits  to each other.  That's a good feeling for us.

The whole activity has proved to be a real "Bonding" experience for all of us.

MAJOR EDIT ON THIS POST TO PREVENT PRIVACY ISSUES WITH FAMILY NAMES.

post edited by mayor al - 2010/07/20 08:38:01
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/17 16:06:01 (permalink)
i don't know how i missed your post with the test results!  i'm glad things worked out - sounds like you got a bit more info & connections with family than originally expected.  that's a very good outcome!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/18 12:01:33 (permalink)
I have been reluctant to pay a subscription to any of the on-line genealogy services  to do my 'research', however a trial period with Ancestry.com was part of the DNA testing offer, so I did it, then extended the membership for a year when I began to find a lot of information that I wasn't aware of, or had only oral-history hand-me-downs for a source. It has proved very valuable so far, and each day I seem to be able to solve questions that were left hanging in the past.

It's really funny how one's priorities and interests evolve over time. I worked hard for many years to raise, and support, a large family. There was no time allocated for this sort of introverted historical search.  When I neared retirment I had passed the complusvive career climbing point, and had a few years near the end of my work-years when we could take a lot of time to get closer to my Mom and her (Czech) history, and my Dad who passed away when I was only 4 years old, and to travel the USA with Janet who had not been outside of SoCal before. 

Those activities, which blended well together, gave me a new direction for these years when I don't travel as much, and my family seems to be going it's own directions most of the time.  Now is the time that I can use to search out my own heritage.."ROOTS" (so to speak!).  A couple of my children have a little interest in the process, but much prefer for me to write-it-up and send them the Reader's Digest version !!  No hard feelings on my part, as I recall the many times when I only half-listened to my Grandfathers rants about what the Nazi, and later the Soviets, did to our relatives in the old country.
Now I communicate with the elderly survivors (and their children) about what grandfather told us...and try to preserve the history as well as the family tree.

Sorry if I belabor the point so much, but I am very aware that the catch-phrase  "If we don't learn from the mistakes we make in our history, we are doomed to repeat them"...or something close to that. I am finding myself in the role of preserver of the family history at this point, and want to do the best I can to help my future family understand how important the family past really is.

End of Rant. Thank you all for sharing my interest in this 'quest'.
AL
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/18 12:18:05 (permalink)
I have 2,398 marked people meaning direct ancestors in my genealogical database. I started long before computer search and gathered information from more direct sources (actual records). It seems my information has been copied numerous times, even bastardized after a while, and now I find info online that I absolutely know to be incorrect because I possess the actual physical family evidence dating back to the early 1800s. The LDS records are the worst because they seem to accept everything without verification. Genealogical information used to be more freely available but now most of it seems to be locked away in places like Ancestry.com. I'm debating with myself whether I want to try to dig deeper or not and sign up with Ancestry.com.

Interestingly, every ancestral line I have traced has gone back to before the American Revolution. I have no known ancestor immigrants to America after the Revolution. Primarily they come through Maryland and Virginia to Kentucky to Indiana on my dad's side and Pennsylvania to Ohio to Indiana on my mom's side.
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/19 01:31:32 (permalink)

i'm waiting to do a pay-subscription until i have enough basic info compiled from my own searching as well as from what other family members can provide to have a good base to start from so i can make the most of the subscription.  i also need to have sufficient time to do it (which i'm not at the point in life that you are mayor, so, i'm just stockpiling stuff at the moment). 

tried to get info from my great-grand years ago when i was a teenager and she didn't want to provide any info.  she came here at a time when you left the 'old country' behind (physically, emotionally and mentally) and integrated fully into the 'american' society.  it was like pulling teeth to get her to talk about anything - and don't even think about learning the language!

all the older generations (that came from the old countries) are gone now, so i really need to step up my efforts while the generation before mine is still here - they still have plenty of memories and some oral history info that will be useful...

good to know the lds database isn't reliable.  i'd looked at that years ago when i first got a computer.  seemed to be pretty extensive then.  more recent experience shows they've changed things a bit and it doesn't seem all that good a resource now.

i DO hate that things have become commercialized and what really is public info is so hard to actually get without paying fees to ancestry.com and the like.

when i do get a good amount of basic info compiled, i'm going to take the time off of work to go into philly to access the national archives info for imigrant info, marriage/death/birth/censu info, etc - once i have all i can get from that, i'll do the payed sub bit for access to other countries info.

http://www.archives.gov/
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/19 09:30:42 (permalink)
One problem with genealogy is most don't get started until they are older and consequently opportunity is lost. I am now the patriarch in my family line at age 66. I no longer have anyone in the family to ask. I was a bit fortunate in that I got the bug in meeting a great uncle for the first and only time filling me with family history that ultimately I proved wrong. But I got started early and preserved some family records, letters, deeds, lists, tax records, other papers, etc. that I got from my grandfather at an early age. Trivial stuff we all throw away. They were a jumbled mess in a desk drawer and probably would have disappeared had he not given them to me. It was also information impossible to dig out of courthouse records that dated back to the 1820s. Then when my grandfather died at age 93 in 1983 I met all kinds of great aunts at the funeral from my maternal grandmother's side of the family who were contemporaries of my grandfather. My grandmother died two months before I was born! I listened to them reminisce about her side of the family I knew nothing about. Those few clues opened a treasure trove of information. Still, a lot of information was lost and that branch has few genealogical seekers to compare notes with and I keep looping back to only the information I discovered and dug out. I contacted over the years many other family genealogists that have long passed on along with their records.

Moral of the story is don't wait.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/19 10:54:28 (permalink)
I agree totally with both the above.

I have two members of the generation 'above' mine left , and am asking questions and taking notes as often as I can. Would that I had caught the spirit of the search when there were more sources still around me !

Joclyn,   PARAGRAPH EDITED, SORRY,  PRIVACY ISSUE AGAIN. MY CHOICE TO EDIT TO PREVENT POSSIBLE CONFLICT. al

One of the main reasons for us doing the DNA thing was to confirm the 'story' that we heard from the old country, that the two families involved "were related at some distant point in the past". While it would have been nice to arrive at a finite date, it was THE Answer that mattered. We Are Related. "Story Confirmed".
post edited by mayor al - 2010/07/20 08:41:41
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2010/07/26 10:20:26 (permalink)
Haven't participated in any of these dna studies.The one i did find for Weichlein,Wickline,etc families you have to be a man to participate.I too wish I had my dad write things down about the family,especially since he knew his grandparents and their brothers and sisters a few of whom came to America.My great aunts ,his father's sisters used to write relatives in the old country,even have a photo of a tombstone with three names on it from Himmelstadt that some cousin sent my greataunt,Sister Generose.At least my dad got to go to Garmisch when he was TDY to England and Germany in the late 1950s.Unfortunately he didn't have enough time to go to Nuremberg and consult the familyhistorian and our family history books . But he did get to look at parish records in Garmisch for information.
My mother and her brother and sister were orphans up in Buffalo,Ny .Oh my mom had some contact with relatives,but wouldn't know who in the world to contact up there  about family history,or the family's history in Hungary.Glad you were able to make the connection with your family.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2012/12/12 22:18:11 (permalink)
Bump.

I finally did the Ancestry.com DNA test that is now comprehensive both paternal and fraternal. The price had come down as well to only $99. I got my results back and it was a semi surprise until I did some research on what the test actually pass down.

My make up was:
56% Central European (mainly France across Germany)
33% Scandinavian
 7% Turkish/Persian/Caucasus
 4% Uncertain

The surprise was no British Isles in the makeup yet nearly all my trees go back there or Germany. Scandinavian was also a surprise but considering I can trace my roots back to the Norman Invasion (actually they were originally Vikings not French) and many of my British Isle ancestors were from coastal areas (again Viking invasions) maybe it was not so much of a surprise. Central European was no surprise at all. The Turkish/Persian/Caucasus however is a mystery as I have no paper trails there.

I do now have an Ancestry.com account and have posted my genealogy and have been building on it. I was starting to get excited this week because my wife and I both have a DIEHL German family name in our genealogy. I've built the databases and found other families with a link of one man that would connect us both. I personally think the data is incorrect from actual records I have but linked the man anyway to both our lineages just to see how we might be related. We were 9th cousins once removed to a common ancestor born in 1604. For accuracy I unlinked again and put a comment in as to why. One problem with online genealogy is families build trees lemming like without verifiable data. Then when you encounter several family trees with the same data you want to make the assumption it is true.

It's a fun hobby.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2012/12/13 08:04:20 (permalink)
Congratulations DDavy, That was a major step forward in the family research. Thanks for the update about the costs and scope of the DNA testing.
I have been a bit dormant in my research lately, but will get back into the digging shortly.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2012/12/13 11:40:58 (permalink)
No horse thieves yet in my tree, but yesterday I found an ancestor, a trader/dealer in Annweiler, Germany "stabbed by Spaniards" as the reason for his death. Little stories that you would like to know more.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2012/12/13 12:46:21 (permalink)
Ancestry.com got a shout-out on last night's episode of "C.S.I."  Naturally, it contributed to the apprehension of a murderer.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2012/12/13 14:34:25 (permalink)
I was unaware that my fathers family (way back) were French/Flemish Hugonots (sp) Protestants in a Catholic area, who were forced/chased/urged to leave, in 1739. I even have the ships name and sailing dates that the three DeBolt brothers took to the New World. 2 generations later they were in Central Ohio and the family burial ground is still in Centerburg..with Seven generations buried in the same location...not counting me, but I will join them when the time comes.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved? 2012/12/13 16:23:40 (permalink)
Al,

I too have a French Huguenot ancestor that came to America in in the late 1600s and settled in Henrico County, Virginia. He was Guillaume Fouquet married to Jane Eyre in Virginia in 1687. The name in America evolved into Fuqua.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1