Famous customers

Author
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
2006/03/14 15:52:59 (permalink)

Famous customers

I've had my fair share of "stars"in my restaurant,bill murray,kevin costner,john heard{numerous times}and quite a few more.how do you handle it when they come in.For the non-owners,how do you react when your in the same place as they are.

I'll tell you what I do.

25 Replies Related Threads

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/14 16:12:03 (permalink)
    I have seen many famous people because lots of them live in my area. I treat them like total strangers. The few converstions I have had with them gave no clue I knew who they were. And that works out well.
    As you know, I think most people would be surprised to see how normal (and funky) these people look in real life, a lot like the rest of us. And if they are "ladies men" they are ALWAYS very short, sorry ladies.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3300
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/14 18:00:23 (permalink)
    The only significant stars in the food service business are the customers, the food, the service, and the staff. Without them, nothing counts. If a famous person shows up, they entitled to the same service and food as every one else. We're all placed on the same playing field in life, yet some never lose their middle school mentality. Some need to realize that the most important person in the world is themself, yet they don't even know it and consistently seek the answers from others. It's time to look within, especially since we've really had the answers all the time.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/14 18:03:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

The only significant stars in the food service business are the customers, the food, the service, and the staff. Without them, nothing counts. If a famous person shows up, they entitled to the same service and food as every one else. We're all placed on the same playing field in life, yet some never lose their middle school mentality. Some need to realize that the most important person in the world is themself, yet they don't even know it and consistently seek the answers from others. It's time to look within, especially since we've really had the answers all the time.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin

V

VERY, VERY, VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, there is nothing else to say, they might as well close this thread!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/14 18:08:03 (permalink)
    CSD: Dadgone, that was poetic. I really like your thoughts and attitude.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/14 19:09:07 (permalink)
    I live in what often becomes a movie set. I have had klieg lights shined in my bedroom windows past midnight so a "night scene" could get filmed in the street outside. And I've watched many a presidential motorcade go down the same street under those same windows. Placido Domingo once owned a unit in my building and I had a "garbage dispute" with Dame Kiri Te Kanawa (her maid wouldn't put her garbage down the chute like you are supposed to and it stank up the place) who was using another unit (we are 2 blocks from the SF Opera and they lease several apartments for visiting singers to use). This means I run into celebrities periodically. Mostly, they act like "just folks" and try not to make a scene. And I do my best to go along with that. I find it embarrassing when other other people go "Oh, are you -----?" But, as a restaurant customer (and usually a frequent one since I usually go back to the same places a lot), I would be seriously annoyed if a celebrity were given noticeably "special" treatment in any of my favorite places. My money comes from the same overworked government printing press as theirs and as long as we are paying the same prices, we deserve the same service. If I discovered a restaurant I frequent doing otherwise, I would think twice before going back there because I would assume they don't really want business from "the rest of us".
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/14 23:38:08 (permalink)
    Though I didn't see this myself an employee swears up and down snoop dogg came through our drive-thru a few months ago.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/15 00:14:06 (permalink)
    Living in the Keys for about 10 years, I have had my share of "well known" people.
    Back in 1989, I waited on 2 members of Guns N Roses in Islamorada, at the Holiday Isle.
    Kurt Russell while in living in Marathon (1990 I think), and Katie Couric in Islamorada at The Lazy Days' restaurant.
    Kurt came in kinda late afternoon, weekday, when it was slow. So, not many people were around. He asked for a quiet table away from anyone, and was wearing shades.
    I think that was when Goldie was filming a movie in Key West. I cannot remember the name of it.
    Some of them don't make a big deal of their presense, except for Katie Couric, as she had requested a more private table, as she was with her 2 kids, and nanny. (time frame-1997-98)
    It was cute. There was a band playing that night, and the nanny and the 2 kids were out dancing away with everyone else.

All were unpretentious and nice as can be.
    I used to work for baseball player and then coach, Davey Johnson. I think he was with the Mets then, or maybe the Red's--He was part-owner of the Lorelei in Islamorada.

He got married "again" at the restaurant beach area and many many celeb's were there, but most of them were in a cordoned off to the public area.
    The only one that mingled with the "regular folk", was Maury Povich. He wanted to watch a golf game that was on the TV at the cabana bar.
    People came up to him and he signed autographs and was just as polite as can be. There were so many well known people at that wedding, I cant remember them.
    Many famous people come to the Lorelei, and I am sure they still do. They host a major fishing tournament every year.
    It kinda was old hat seeing them around.
    George Bush was a regular during fishing tourneys, and my old BF had to drive Norman Schwartzkauf (sp?) somewhere.
    THis was in 1997.
    So, that is my cross with the star's..
    ( I did get Kurts autograph on a menu, but someone stole it from me!)
    Bottom line, is you treat them like the rest of your customers...
    (unless it is ladies with bratty kids who break things)
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/15 07:25:20 (permalink)
    Jacksonville has been host to a fair amount of movie making, with the attached celebs. Major golf turnoments(sp) and Amelia Island Concourse De'Elangance also bring in celebs so that guy on the surfboard may not just LOOK LIKE John Travolta and she may be wearing sunglasses and a blonde wig but those legs sure look like Demi's, could that really be Regis at the traffic light, Bill Murray at the gasNgo? I'm not an autograph hound and seldom think about taking a picture in time but knowing you've crossed paths with a star does make an interesting hi-point to the day..
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/15 07:46:09 (permalink)
    In the mid 60's I worked as a bartender near Woodstock, NY.
    Lee Marvin was from Woodstock and would come in whenever he was in town (He was not a good drinker, got mean), Bob Dillon and the Band lived there at the time, saw them quite frequently. Frank Gifford was doing a promo for IBM, he stopped by, and I once had the pleasure of meeting Frank Sinatra. All nice folks, even Lee M. when he was not drinking.

John
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/15 09:02:27 (permalink)
    Wilmington, NC is the number three location for movie production in the US. I spend quite a bit of time there so get to see the "stars" often. Some think their feces doesn't stink and others are normal.

Harrison Ford is my biggest example of a great guy who is a great actor and a good person. Spent an evening at a bar w/ him just off River Street talking about wood working.

The Hilton on the River is a popular place for the production companies to stay and is my hotel when in Wilmington. I love it when the hotel upgrades me to the top level and sends a director to the third floor.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/15 16:31:15 (permalink)
    Living in Boston for so many years I saw it all.......gangsters, Sinatra, Liz Taylor, basketball players, baseball players, football players. They were all awesome.

When I lived in France I cooked for (and ate with) President Francois Mitterand for several years, being the chef for Jean Riboud, CEO of Schlumberger. The whole entourage would just show up.....secret service, minister of defense, Monsieur le President, his wife, and on and on. They were also awesome!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/15 17:04:19 (permalink)
    There was a famous restaurant in lower Manhattan---12th St to be exact. It was very Italian and everyone who worked there ---waiters, bartender, door-man, etc were all frustrated opera singers, and all were part of the show that went on every night. The place was always busy. I was there one night with some friends when Pat Cooper and his family came in. That was the end of the service, the help were all around Cooper's table being entertained while everyone else starved. But he was so funny (I was at the next table to him and heard every word) it was an added floor show.

I had lunch with Pavorotti on Columbus Circle---he stood on one side of a Sabrett rolling "gourmet" hot dog stand with a dog in each hand and I stood on the other with one. We nodded to each other and then went our merry ways. I wonder if he remembers as I do ???????? What do you think ????
    Jeza
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/17 03:21:52 (permalink)
    Give them the same service as anyone else.

I have had members of Government, the President of the US, Royal family, movie stars, celebrities and sports stars in the restaurant I manage and htey all appreciate being treated like human beings. IE Politely, with humility and excellence.
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/17 15:12:54 (permalink)
    Whenever we get a "star"in my place ,the staff knows to act as if they are everyday people.If i'm not there for whatever reason,the manager calls me.
    If said star is approached by other customers,we leave it between them.
    After they have finished eating,I introduce myself,ask them if everything was to their liking.I also tell them all,since they ,for the most part are incredibly insecure,tell them i'm a big fan and love their work.

If they seem so inclined to small talk,I ask them what brings them to my humble place,are they going to Gettysburg etc.Most are incredibly nice,Very willing to sign autographs for other patrons,and i make sure I get a promise of a customized signed publicity picture.I don't get a picture of myself with them,as I feel it's kind of cheesy.

John Heard,the dad in home alone 1&2,comes in all the time as he is a close personal friend,we grew up together in Chevy Chase Md.He has sent Kevin Costner,Don Johnson,LL Cool J,and a few others in.They were in D.C.at different times and i'm less than an hr. away.
    waffleslave
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/19 05:39:35 (permalink)
    You treat them the same way you would any other customer, because they are the same as any other customer.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/19 16:09:56 (permalink)
    But what would you do if a famous football player came in and ate 6 Lbs. of food and drank a gallon of tea!? I know what drsmoke would do.
    Joe
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Famous customers 2006/03/19 17:07:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

But what would you do if a famous football player came in and ate 6 Lbs. of food and drank a gallon of tea!? I know what drsmoke would do.
    Joe

PapaJoe,It was incredible,the man is an eating machine.I managed to get ESPN,FOX SPORTS,and GEORGE MICHEAL SPORTS MACHINE to cover it.ESPN had it on twice,The Jim Rome show,FOX had it on at least 4 times,George Micheal channel4 in D.C.had it on at least 6 times.People still come in and ask me about the eatingest Redskin of them all,Randy Thomas.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/12 11:09:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin

I want to eat at CSDs place!!!!!

For the scoop on celebs, go to:
    http://www.bitterwaitress.com/gossip/
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/12 11:35:22 (permalink)
    Of course, depends on the circumstances.

Young friend working at an Applebee's in the 'burbs recently had a locally-based, nationally known sports figure walk in with a woman who was recognized NOT to be his wife. Young waitstaff played it cool. Then the Manager recognized him and walked out with a camera. Needless to say, they were gone immediately.
    damon2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/12 13:49:55 (permalink)
    Being just outside of Santa Barbara, we've had our share...some one- timers..some fairly regular,and some who didn't mean a thing to me (just who is Incubus?) we treat them like every one else, if it's a busy Sunday morning they wait like the rest of my customers do Perhaps because there are a large number of the rich and famous in the area no one seems to get excited over their presence. I would add though that when Hulk Hogan was in, it was the only time I actually saw people get up and go over to his table, which with him being such a showman didn't seem to bother him at all.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/14 19:12:33 (permalink)
    I used to drive a shuttle limo (Jeep) in Snowmass, CO. One of my airport runs I picked up Buddy Hackett, Lynn Swan, Larry Csonka, and Nick Buonoconti. Hackett said, "Hey, driva...stop and get me a 6-pack and a bag of chips". It was 7 miles back to the hotel. He drank 4 beers, ate half the chips and stiffed me! As Lynn Swann exited the cab he slipped me a $100 bill and said, "that ought to cover that fat slob".
    I got smashed one night with Mickey Mantle at the Sun Valley Lodge. He drank a lot of scotch that night.
    Bob Hope and I urinated at side by side urnials at LAX. All I could say was, "Hi, Bob". We did not shake hands.
    I have a lot more....some other time.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/15 10:36:42 (permalink)
    dr smoke, you should put up yet another sign that reads....
    "if you are famous, or rich, come on in. we will treat you like every one else. except,we will probably charge you double...."
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/15 10:41:15 (permalink)
    oh yea, i forgot to ad to the list. seems so small for me, but our most popular customer was herschel walker.
    really nice guy. he even gave me a signed football, which i have appointed to my nephew.
    herschel's sisters live here in town, so he comes here alot. he has his own line of food products that are awesome, if any of you have the chance to try them. unfortunately, they are exclusively distributed by sysco.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/15 11:14:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pancho

I used to drive a shuttle limo (Jeep) in Snowmass, CO. One of my airport runs I picked up Buddy Hackett, Lynn Swan, Larry Csonka, and Nick Buonoconti. Hackett said, "Hey, driva...stop and get me a 6-pack and a bag of chips". It was 7 miles back to the hotel. He drank 4 beers, ate half the chips and stiffed me! As Lynn Swann exited the cab he slipped me a $100 bill and said, "that ought to cover that fat slob".
    I got smashed one night with Mickey Mantle at the Sun Valley Lodge. He drank a lot of scotch that night.
    Bob Hope and I urinated at side by side urnials at LAX. All I could say was, "Hi, Bob". We did not shake hands.
    I have a lot more....some other time.

Ya gots to love Buddy... Even a show in his off hours...
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Famous customers 2006/05/16 10:34:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pancho

I have a GREAT Buddy Hackett story: Back in the 80's Buddy enrolled in the Duke University Diet and Fitness Center, which is an intensive weight loss and health program. While on the program (anywhere from 1 week to 3 months) all of your food is provided by the Center's cafeteria and every single calorie is accounted for. 90% of these clients stay at a hotel located right across the street. One night, Buddy ordered and pre-paid for about 100 pizzas and had them delivered to each and every room at this hotel. He was kicked out of the program the next day and banned for life.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1