Fancy hot chocolates

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2010/12/14 10:36:18 (permalink)

Fancy hot chocolates

I am enjoying various hot chocolates this year. My personal favorite is "spicy" or "Mayan" which actually has red chili in it! Yum.
I've also bought some hot chocolate mixes, including ones with spices, cardamon,"chai" India style, peppermint, etc.
In Santa Fe there is a fabulous shop called Kakawa (and nice website:)
http://www.kakawachocolates.com/
It specializes in "elixirs" which are small cups of intense hot chocolate from Mesoamerica (zapoteca, Aztec, acuyo, atole, etc) and Europe (Spain, France, Italy).

What have others discovered in hot chocolate searching?

8 Replies Related Threads

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1032
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/14 11:03:04 (permalink)
    Nothing that fancy, just the standard Mexican one that comes in disks.
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/14 14:13:25 (permalink)
    Take one bar of chocolate, pour hot milk over it, stir till melted, top with freshly whipped cream. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/14 16:46:47 (permalink)
    Land O Lakes makes a  tiramisu/chocolate hot cocoa mix that is very nice. analei's suggestion sounds wonderful!!
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/14 21:47:03 (permalink)
    I am allergic to most hot chocolate mixes due to the hydrogenated oil. The one I like & can actually have is Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate. Sometimes I mix cinnamon in.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/15 03:06:20 (permalink)
    stricken_detective

I am allergic to most hot chocolate mixes due to the hydrogenated oil. The one I like & can actually have is Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate. Sometimes I mix cinnamon in.

You shouldn't be missing anything.  The best hot chocolate by far is the kind you make yourself using milk, chocolate or cocoa and perhaps some sugar.  Ghirardelli, in fact, sells ground chocolate in a container that looks just like the ones used for hot chocolate mixes and that makes great hot chocolate (just add milk and sweeten to taste).  But you can also use any "fancy" chocolate or cocoa powder you want (cocoa is chocolate with the fat--"cocoa butter"--removed, but when you mix it in milk and heat it, the milk fat substitutes though using actual chocolate makes a richer result).
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/15 21:21:50 (permalink)
    ^^what if you use skim milk?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/15 21:46:06 (permalink)
    stricken_detective

^^what if you use skim milk?

Fine--it just won't be as rich.  But I'd suggest experimenting anyway with the amount of chocolate/cocoa you add etc.  Start with the recipe on the label of most cocoa but feel free to adjust to personal taste.

You can also sort of make your own "hot chocolate" mix using Ghirardelli's (or anybody's) ground chocolate and non-fat powdered milk.  Once you figure out how sweet you like it, you can add the appropriate amount of sugar to the mix and then you'll have something just like the commercial hot chocolate, a powder to which you just add boiling water and stir.  Doing this, you can also vary the ratio of powdered milk/chocolate to water and create something richer than using skim milk but still with very little fat (or none if you use cocoa rather than ground chocolate).

I've done it that way when I had no real milk on hand (because I live alone and don't often buy milk but I keep powdered milk in the pantry for cooking).  Since I do like mine rich, I've also added a shot of whipping cream (in addition to the water) to either a commercial mix or to the home-made variety.
    post edited by BT - 2010/12/15 21:49:19
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    Re:Fancy hot chocolates 2010/12/15 23:55:16 (permalink)
    Re: those Mexican ones that come in discs: I know the Abuelita (brand acquired by Nestles a few years ago). Also Ibarra brand. And don't forget the wooden "frother" tool (molinillo). Apparently the Mexican word for h.c is "champpurado"
    But tonite  I was in Whole Foods in NYC that had "discs galore" from a few Mexican companies. Kekua brand, Taza brand (actually from Massachusetts) Flavors like Salted Almonds, Yerba, Coffee, Vanilla, Canela (cinnamon) and  Ancho Chile (red chile).
    Chocolate was originally form mesoamerica, no? 

PS: One of my German friends shared the trick of putting a small amount of chocolate inthe drip with hot coffee. Just a tad. Luscious.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1