Fantastic Free Site for Bibliophiles!!!

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
2013/02/02 11:43:06 (permalink)

Fantastic Free Site for Bibliophiles!!!

42,000 free, high quality e-books!  http://www.gutenberg.org/ .

Since wet macular degeneration presented itself in both my eyes seven years ago there have been two Godsends for me - periodic injections of Lucentis and e-books (together with large computer displays!).  The former has my distance vision nearly 20/20 and 20/60, but my near vision makes it impossible to read 8 pt. newsprint; the latter gives me total access to the world of reading.

4 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Fantastic Free Site for Bibliophiles!!! 2013/02/02 11:50:50 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks Jim! I passed this on to some book lovers I know. I was going to say "bookies", like as in "foodies", but that just didn't sound right!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Fantastic Free Site for Bibliophiles!!! 2013/02/02 13:59:45 (permalink)
    Does anyone know of a similiar site forAudio books? Love audio books!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:Fantastic Free Site for Bibliophiles!!! 2013/02/02 14:15:48 (permalink)
    kland01s

Wow! Thanks Jim! I passed this on to some book lovers I know. I was going to say "bookies", like as in "foodies", but that just didn't sound right!

You are most welcome!

Here is an interesting clip sent me by "Foodbeme" that I found so fascinating I showed it to my economics classes.  It is about the acceleration of technological change that has happened in the past 10 or so years:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmwwrGV_aiE .

I told my classes that I had "seen a lot" in my lifetime, e.g., the evolution of television from our 1953 DuMont 13" B&W to my 1993 35" Mitsubishi STV - all cathode ray tube technology which evolved smoothly over 40 years and finally produced the "ultimate" CRT - TV. 

Now, however, technology is literally EXPLODING!  The past five years have seen more revolutionary, unimaginable "tech" miracles than the previous fifty.  What will the next five years hold?!  WOW!
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Fantastic Free Site for Bibliophiles!!! 2013/02/03 01:34:36 (permalink)
    The Internet Archives also has tons of free books. I download them to my laptop, then use Calibre (free software) to convert them into Kindle format (mobi) and put them on my e-reader. They also carry audio books read by volunteers, under Audio Archives, Audio Books and Poetry, LibreVox. I grabbed a copy of Shakespeare's King Richard II and popped it on my MP3 player. 

I bet it would be a lot of fun to volunteer to read a book for the LibreVox project, or to work with a group and do a play. And free is usually good! 

(shhh - my guilty pleasure is to download old TV shows from the 50's to my Netbook and watch an old show when waiting for folks. Recently went through Sergeant Preston of the Yukon and Yukon King. All free and legal as copyrights have expired)
    post edited by callmebruce - 2013/02/03 01:38:21
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1