The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Farmed lobster?

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
Farmed lobster? Tue, 08/23/05 11:57 AM (permalink)
We had some large lobsters for a family party. We ordered 2 pounders ahead, but they forgot to "pull" them, and they were sold out when we got there to pick them up, so they sold us some 4 pounders at a good price. My brother, recently returned from a Maine vacation, said that they must be "farmed" because ones that size (or too small) get thrown back. Farmed lobsters can be sold at any size, he says. I said that maybe they are Canadian lobsters. He said, "maybe but probably not". Do they farm lobster like salmon or oysters now? PS The big lobsters are good, and you do get more meat per pound. They are hard to open. We had to use a hammer.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
    RE: Farmed lobster? Tue, 08/23/05 12:12 PM (permalink)
    They've been "farming" lobsters for years. I don't know whether they are permitted to sell undersized ones.

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
      RE: Farmed lobster? Tue, 08/23/05 3:28 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

They've been "farming" lobsters for years. I don't know whether they are permitted to sell undersized ones.

I respectfully want to question this statement. I had always been told that it was impractical, first because the critters eat their young, and second because of the length of time it takes for a lobster to grow to maturity. Here's some backup: http://www.quiz.telegraph.co.uk/wine/main.jhtml?xml=/wine/2005/07/30/edsavvy30.xml&sSheet=/wine/2005/07/30/ixedmain.html
      And, re the aging process, from the Canadian Oceans and Fisheries department:

In the Magdalen Islands, it is estimated that lobsters reach their commercial size at around 8 years of age. However, lobsters can reach their commercial size at the age of 5 in certain areas where the water is warmer. In areas where the water temperature remains cold year-round, it can take up to 10 years.

Perhaps the various species of rock, or spiny, lobster lend themselves to aquaculture more readily.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Farmed lobster? Tue, 08/23/05 3:56 PM (permalink)
        Spiny lobsters are easier to farm. But for so-called Maine lobsters they've found ways to prevent (or minimize) the cannibalism, and to speed up growth. I forget the exact method to keep the young from being eaten, but it involves separation and specific and constant water flow. As to speeding up growth, that's done by controlling water temperature. Lobsters grow more rapidly in warmer water. All that said, what lobster farming (Homarus americanus) is really about is starting lobsters, then transplanting them.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6257
          RE: Farmed lobster? Tue, 08/23/05 11:20 PM (permalink)
          As a former employee of Yankee Lobster in Boston (we had 2 acres of lobster tanks stacked one on top of the other) I feel compelled to put in some lobstah info. First, the 4 pound lobsters were not "farmed". In fact, they tried to "farm" lobsters in Woods Hole, MA, to no success. The largest lobsters I had in my tanks were nearly 20 pounds. Are they good eating? Heck yeah! It takes a lobster 7 years to be one pound. They shed their shell every summer.....thus "hard shell" and "soft shell" lobsters. The best lobster of all is a Western Novi in March........the good cold waters of Nova Scotia produce the best lobster of the year. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive of the year!

BigGlenn

RE: Farmed lobster? Tue, 08/23/05 11:28 PM (permalink)
            You can't fool me! Farming Lobster's No Way? I was stupid enough to plant a Rock Garden and not a one of them have grown an inch. And they ain't very good eating either!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Farmed lobster? Wed, 08/24/05 4:34 PM (permalink)
              I've never understood why people will tell you that big lobsters aren't as good as small ones. Unless, that is, they want to keep the big ones for themselves.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                RE: Farmed lobster? Sat, 08/27/05 9:43 AM (permalink)
                I checked with my next door neighbor who owns a large wholsale house in Boston all they deal in are strictly lobsters, he said farming has been tryed without success they develop dissease that affects their shell also lobsters are migratory who knew? I'll take a steamed clam any day over a lobster. Chow Jim

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com