Fast Food Oil

Author
yelanger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/02/16 19:04:34 (permalink)

Fast Food Oil

Hello,

I'm thinking about setting up a fast food restuarant mainly selling fries and fried fish.  I have a few questions i hope you could help me with?

• Should I use a seperate fryer for the fries and fish?
  • What type of oil should I use?
  • How often should I change the oil or should I filter?  If filter how much does that equipment cost
  • How much does this oil cost on a weekly basis?
Thanks so much in advance

5 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:Fast Food Oil 2012/02/16 19:32:07 (permalink)
    Of you business depends on fryers, I would look into good fryers with good filtering systems.   The better the oil the better the product, use a sperate fryer for the fries. Peanut oil for the fish, a regular creamy soy oil is fine for the fries. I would also do fresh cut fries. ...............Welcome to Roadfood, best of luck...........pnwc
                 P.S. stop over Hot Dougs in Chicago for some Duck Fries, see what you think.
    post edited by pnwchef - 2012/02/16 19:34:06
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Fast Food Oil 2012/02/16 20:36:27 (permalink)
    If you're selling mainly fried foods. I'd look into having at least 4 fryers. I *briefly* worked at a place here called Neils halibut and chips. I want to say they had 6. Fish always had separate designated fryers.

I'd look up the current price of all types of fryer oils. Set your mind on 1 product, to make things simple. Expect to change out the oil in a fryer at least once a week. Factor in how many fryers you plan on having.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:Fast Food Oil 2012/02/16 21:42:12 (permalink)
    Separate fryers- but I'd use Peanut oil for both fish & fries. If you have a 5 Guys nearby, go try their fries - Fresh cut and they use Peanut oil. .
    Peanut oil will withstand higher temps before smoking and breaking down. Your recovery time will depend on good fryers and oil that will hold up to high temps.
    Peanut oil is more expensive but if you're gonna live and die on your fish & fries, you can't risk serving a marginal product. It's got to be right on target. What kind of fish are you gonna use? That's very important.
    Suggest you take a trip to Pittsburgh and go to Wholey's to see how a fantastic fish sandwich is done then  copy every thing they do!
    http://www.wholey.com/ourfafiki.html
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/02/16 21:43:36
    yelanger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Fast Food Oil 2012/02/18 09:42:27 (permalink)
    Thank you all for youe responses.  Peanut oil it is and I'll be taking a trip to 5 Guys and Hot Dougs soon.

Thanks again much appreciated
    mofood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Fast Food Oil 2012/02/18 12:19:30 (permalink)
    I agree with the recommends above. Peanut oil tastes great when well maintained. Separate fryers for fish only. Number of fryers depends on lbs/hour of sales. Look at the fryers, that is one way they are rated. Be prepared to filter daily with a high volume. Also, I'm guessing you're oil will need to be changed out multiple times a week also depending on volume. As has been said, bad oil will ruin your cuisine.
    Mmmm, duck fat Fridays at hot dougs! Get ready to wait in line
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1