Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33
John A

• Total Posts: 4295
Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 8:35 AM (permalink)
A pound of Choice Ground Chuck, some chopped onion, steak sauce, and some S&P.

Get them going in a skillet.

When browned add French Onion soup, cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Add a buttered Baked potato

And you’re good to go. Get the potato going ahead of time; the rest is one of Rachel’s 30-minute meals.

BTW, what is the difference between Salisbury steak and a Hamburger?

John

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 1:23 PM (permalink)
    John these meals look great, but you gotta start adding some green to your diet. Thake care of that colon, ya know. Chow Jim

Big_g

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 1:51 PM (permalink)
      Looks good....but I think I'd make a little roux out of the drippings and then add the soup to make a nice gravy.
      I agree that a salad or some broccoli would help the system but, As always great photo's.
      Thanks for sharing!

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
        RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 1:51 PM (permalink)
        Well that looked good! It does look remarkably like a pan fried burger though, not that theres anything wrong with that! I've always thought salsbury steaks where flat cuts of meat that had been pressed or something to get a grid like texture on them, mom used to make them for dinner and they were usually as tender as a workboot sole. Those are one of the things that I've never bought since leaving home

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
          RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 2:08 PM (permalink)
          Dr. James Salisbury developed his recipe for the food that bears his name in the 19th century. He believed that people should not eat vegetables or starches, but should, instead, eat meats. Here is his "recipe"for what came to be called Salisbury Steak:

"Eat the muscle pulp of lean beef made into cakes and broiled. This pulp should be as free as possible from connective or glue tissue, fat and cartilage.....The pulp should not be pressed too firmly together before broiling, or it will taste livery. Simply press it sufficiently to hold it together. Make the cakes from half an inch to an inch thick. Broil slowly and moderately well over a fire free from blaze and smoke. When cooked, put it on a hot plate and season to taste with butter, pepper, salt; also use either Worcestershire or Halford sauce, mustard, horseradish or lemon juice on the meat if desired."

Michael Hoffman

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 2:10 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Well that looked good! It does look remarkably like a pan fried burger though, not that theres anything wrong with that! I've always thought salsbury steaks where flat cuts of meat that had been pressed or something to get a grid like texture on them, mom used to make them for dinner and they were usually as tender as a workboot sole. Those are one of the things that I've never bought since leaving home

I believe you are describing cube steaks.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 2:31 PM (permalink)
              DURN IT JOHN

I am stuck in the office with nothing to eat except some nasty trail mix.

can you email some of your leftovers

John A

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 5:46 PM (permalink)
                Jim - You're so right. Up until a couple of years ago we ate a lot of veggies and salads. As my appetite has decreased I’ve stuck with those foods I like best, meat and potatoes. I do get one of those colon procedures every couple of years.

Michael – Thank you.

Cajunking – There are no leftovers.

Thanks all,

John

Bluemaxx

• Total Posts: 465
                  RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Fri, 12/29/06 6:02 PM (permalink)
                  Hey John.....how about doing a vegatable stir fry, or something like that? Just my .02 cents. I have been eating WAY TOO MUCH meat lately and it is directly because of you, buddy! Those pictures are awesome!!

John A

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sat, 12/30/06 8:03 AM (permalink)
                    What's a vegetable stir fry?

John

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                      RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sat, 12/30/06 8:58 AM (permalink)

dreamzpainter wrote: ===where flat cuts of meat that had been pressed or something to get a grid like texture on them, mom used to make them for dinner and they were usually as tender as a workboot sole. Those are one of the things that I've never bought since leaving home===

No kidding. They have a cube steak sandwich or full sized portion on the menu at the restaurant where I work. There is an 50 year old white porcelan machine that we feed sliced beef through to produce a working product. Last night, I cooked one and brought it home. I took a couple of bites before I gave it to my dogs.

Some think of Salisbury Steak to be some sort of hamburger. I see it as part of the stewed meatball food groups. It certainly isn't a steak any more than a cube steak is. Neither are what they claim to be... I feel that the only stewed steak that might qualify is Swiss Steak. It's been ages since I had one of those.

mark

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                        RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sat, 12/30/06 9:44 AM (permalink)
                        Salisbury Steak? Where's the mushroom gravy

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                          RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sat, 12/30/06 10:05 AM (permalink)
                          Michael, I do believe your correct! Cube steak cooked to a hockey puck like consistency then smothered in an onion gravy. I do recall enjoying the gravy over smashed baked potato.

For stir-fry a wok or wok-skillet (flat bottomed wok) is best but a regular skillet will work, a bit of soy sauce, sliced ginger and garlic goes in the bottom, then the sliced veggies of choice. I like a variety of colored bell peppers, onions, celery hearts, radishes but it depends on what looks good in the market. Cook on high heat, stirring constantly until done to your preference.

With all the bagged salads available today, a salad is the easiest part of a meal, just throw in some croutons and pour on some dressing or add in sliced onions, anchovies, cubed cheese, orange slices or anything else to make it your own

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                            RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sat, 12/30/06 11:27 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Adjudicator

substitute a can of campbell's golden mushroom for the french onion :)

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9566
                              RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 1:22 AM (permalink)
                              Simple Salisbury Steak

INGREDIENTS
                              1 egg
                              1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
                              1 (10.75 ounce) can reduced-fat, reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted, divided
                              1/4 cup finely chopped onion
                              1 pound lean ground beef
                              1/2 cup fat-free milk
                              1/4 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
                              1/4 teaspoon salt
                              1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
                              DIRECTIONS
                              In a bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup soup and onion. Crumble the beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties. In a large nonstick skillet, brown the patties on both sides; drain.
                              In a bowl, combine the milk, browning sauce if desired, salt and remaining soup; stir in mushrooms. Pour over patties. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 5:03 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by John A

What's a vegetable stir fry?
                                Let's rephrase: "What's a vegetable?" I think I ate one. Once.

Foodbme, your recipe sounds pretty good to me. I've always thought a Salisbury Steak was kind of an oversized hamburger patty with gravy, served with rice and more tender than chewy. Somehow that's not discernibly different from the "Chopped Sirloin" one sees on menus a lot.

Tiramisu

• Total Posts: 54
                                  RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Dr. James Salisbury developed his recipe for the food that bears his name in the 19th century. He believed that people should not eat vegetables or starches, but should, instead, eat meats. Here is his "recipe"for what came to be called Salisbury Steak:

"Eat the muscle pulp of lean beef made into cakes and broiled. This pulp should be as free as possible from connective or glue tissue, fat and cartilage.....The pulp should not be pressed too firmly together before broiling, or it will taste livery. Simply press it sufficiently to hold it together. Make the cakes from half an inch to an inch thick. Broil slowly and moderately well over a fire free from blaze and smoke. When cooked, put it on a hot plate and season to taste with butter, pepper, salt; also use either Worcestershire or Halford sauce, mustard, horseradish or lemon juice on the meat if desired."

Wow, that salisbury steak looks great!

One correction though, the salisbury steak was invented by Frank O Salisbury in England 1898.
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_O._Salisbury

Michael Hoffman

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Tiramisu
                                    [br

Wow, that salisbury steak looks great!

One correction though, the salisbury steak was invented by Frank O Salisbury in England 1898.

Sure it was.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
                                      RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 2:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Battling wiki's- your link mentions him only as a painter though.
                                      quote:
                                      ...One correction though, the salisbury steak was invented by Frank O Salisbury in England 1898.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Salisbury

The dish remains a favorite that I don't have often enough; thanks for reminding me. Those recipes all sound good. Mine was always simmered in Campbell's Cream of Mushroom but I'll give these others a try. I might add corn starch for a thicker gravy though.

corabeth

• Total Posts: 157
                                        RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:
                                        ...One correction though, the salisbury steak was invented by Frank O Salisbury in England 1898.

The dish remains a favorite that I don't have often enough; thanks for reminding me. Those recipes all sound good. Mine was always simmered in Campbell's Cream of Mushroom but I'll give these others a try. I might add corn starch for a thicker gravy though.

Hmmm.. Frank O. Salisbury a painter and Dr James Salisbury a physician?

Methinks neither of these Salisbury's knew squat about the famous steak.

Prob some unknown chef in Paris invented the salisbury Steak.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                          RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                          Believe it or not!

What is the origin of Salisbury steak? How about hamburger?
                                          Salisbury steak is pretty much a fancy hamburger. Salisbury steak is the namesake of James Henry Salisbury (1823-1905), a doctor known for his comments on diets and nutrition during Civil War times. He recommended that people eat hamburger three times a day (a friend of the Atkins diet) chased by cups of hot water, especially for soldiers who were suffering from "camp diarrhea". He was a staunch advocate of shredding all food to make it more digestible. The term Salisbury steak was first recorded in 1897 but really came into full usage during World War I when patriotic Americans wanted a substitute for the German word hamburger. Hamburger was originally Hamburger steak (or Hamburg steak) as it was created in the city of Hamburg, Germany.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by corabeth

quote:
                                            Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:

Hmmm.. Frank O. Salisbury a painter and Dr James Salisbury a physician?

Methinks neither of these Salisbury's knew squat about the famous steak.

Prob some unknown chef in Paris invented the salisbury Steak.

Sorry my dear.

"One of the earliest of the 'health food fadists', Dr. James H. Salisbury, a 19th century English/American physician (1823-1905), wrote 'The Relation of Alimentation and Disease'. He believed that diet was the main factor governing our health, so he created a special food and diet for his patients suffering from anemia, colitis, gout, rheumatism, arteriosclerosis, tuberculosis, and asthma.

"He believed that vegetables and starchy foods could produce substances in the digestive system which poison and paralyze the tissues and can cause heart disease, tumors, mental illness and tuberculosis. He claimed our teeth are "meat teeth" and our digestive systems designed to digest lean meat, and that vegetables, fats, starches and fruit should only be 1/3 of our diet. Starch was digested slowly, so it would ferment in the stomach and produce vinegar, acid, alcohol and yeast, all of which were poisonous to our systems. His cure for this was his special diet, including Salisbury Steak, which should be eaten 3 times a day, together with lots of hot water to rinse out the digestive system."

I've already posted his concoction which became known as Salisbury steak.

Oh,and it's not from Wikipedia.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artsalisburystk.html

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                                              RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                              my mother called it fried meatloaf, since she used the same recipe for both. to us, salisbury steak was this wierd frozen tv dinner meat product that we rarely had at home...

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                                RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Adjudicator

Looks great, John but I'm with ADJ. I grew up with mushroom gravy on salisbury steak.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 7:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  All I know is John made a good looking dinner,only his gravy was a bit different.But the rest was right on...a cube steak is not a salisbury steak-its a cube steak. Salisbury is definately made from coarse or finely ground beef.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                                    As someone who is allergic to mushrooms I'll take the plain old brown gravy.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                                                      RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Sun, 12/31/06 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                                      Use Progresso's onion soup (if you can find it) next time. WAY better than Campbells.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                        • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Mon, 01/1/07 12:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        Nice job again John! And I'm with Joe on the 'shroom gravy!!

John A

• Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                                          RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Mon, 01/1/07 7:14 AM (permalink)
                                                          I normally use brown onion gravy, decided to try something different.

John

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                                            • Joined: 11/17/2005
                                                            • Location: new york, NY
                                                            RE: Fast, Simple, and Good - Salisbury Steak Mon, 01/1/07 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                                            I BROIL, not panfry the patties on one side 5 minutes, turn it, then top it with some crumbled bacon, bread crumbs then broil again 5 minutes, then turn again broil 1 minute.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com