Hot!Fast food false advertising

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
2014/05/15 22:27:21 (permalink)

Fast food false advertising

My big complaint is that the food SERVED doesn't even come close to what you see in the PHOTOS

The menu photo's show lush examples, but what you get most of the time doesn't even come close.

One taco place has minimal "meat filling" but lots of cheap lettuce & cheese. I've seen how these are "constructed" with a long skinny trowel like gadget, so each taco is uniformly mediocre.

Another place, a burger chain that also has taco's on the menu, has what can best be describes as a bean dip like flavored paste...

Does the FTC have any jurisdiction over fast food chains and their advertising..?

Can we actually exert a meaningful voice of protest, or are we apathetic sheeple..?

60 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4199
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 10:35:10 (permalink)
    Pror to wrapping, McD's burgers always look like the photos, but for some reason Ronald McDonald always sits on them prior to serving!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3544
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 10:54:12 (permalink)
    Well...I figure restaurant food, fast or otherwise, will start looking like the menu pictures right around the same time food at my house will start looking like the cookbook pictures.

When food (or anything else) is photographed for an ad, a menu, whatever, a lot of the time they do not use actual edible food (if they do use real food, it's not prepared in the "give it to me NOW" style customers demand), professional photographers take the pictures, and professional editing is done once they're taken. All of which takes several hours. I'm sure if you really want your food to look like that it can happen, but you're probably not going to eat for a while.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 12:15:11 (permalink)
    Does the FTC have jurisdiction over fast food advertising?

Yes.
    http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising

In recent years, they've been mostly concerned about fast food marketing directed at teens/children.
    http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/12/ftc-releases-follow-study-detailing-promotional-activities

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 13:14:52 (permalink)
    felix4067

Well...I figure restaurant food, fast or otherwise, will start looking like the menu pictures right around the same time food at my house will start looking like the cookbook pictures.

When food (or anything else) is photographed for an ad, a menu, whatever, a lot of the time they do not use actual edible food (if they do use real food, it's not prepared in the "give it to me NOW" style customers demand), professional photographers take the pictures, and professional editing is done once they're taken. All of which takes several hours. I'm sure if you really want your food to look like that it can happen, but you're probably not going to eat for a while.

Felix is right, there is a whole industry built around "food styling". Things like using vaseline to make sauces shiny, painting on grill marks, making ice cream out of (inedible) ingredients so it won't melt and much more, spraying items with hair spray for shape and to maintain color. It's hard to believe the time spent to make a Big Mac look "fresh off the grill". A lot of times it's never seen a grill. But who would buy a Big Mac if the photo looked it it came out of the bag in 20 minutes after it was picked up, with little Steveie's feet kicking the bag in the car on the way home

PS----BTW, that great looking foam on all those barista coffee drinks from the coffee places in ads----it's dyed soap foam!" />
    post edited by EdSails - 2014/05/16 13:23:23
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 14:03:02 (permalink)
    Note final paragraph in this article: http://www.nbcdfw.com/new...ictured-238495001.html
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 14:04:02 (permalink)
    This one really bugs me:

Notice how her family are all eating chicken yet the 'nine piece' bucket is not only not depleted as her family enjoys their meal ... but is somehow overflowing.  I wonder how the store clerk got the lid on the bucket
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 14:09:08 (permalink)
    They're actually on their second bucket and they transferred what was left in the first.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 14:16:23 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

They're actually on their second bucket and they transferred what was left in the first.

I thought of that.  I've seen the commercial ... she is very happy  the the one 9 piece bucket feed her hungry family
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 15:17:54 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

ScreamingChicken

I thought of that.  I've seen the commercial ... she is very happy  the the one 9 piece bucket feed her hungry family

Even more impressive are the still-overflowing bowls of the 'sides'! 

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 15:21:09 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

wheregreggeats.com

ScreamingChicken

Even more impressive are the still-overflowing bowls of the 'sides'! 

And the fact that they bothered to put the sides in bowls at all, while leaving the chicken in the bucket.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1732
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 16:11:57 (permalink)
    Wonder if she can work a similar miracle with a bottle of wine.............mine always seems to empty too quickly
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 20:26:31 (permalink)
    I'm not sure we want to let her get her hands on some wine.  Mix it with some of that chicken grease and she and hubby just might...well, we really don't need KFC to come up with a "Have a threesome with the Colonel!" ad campaign, do we?
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 21:16:03 (permalink)
    Related. In Peg Bracken's I Hate To Cookbook, circa 1960, she tells her readers not to get hung up about their food not looking as good as magazine photo spreads because of the tricks professional food photographers use. She mentions watching a beef stew being photographed and that the gravy was dyed and the onions propped on toothpicks. She adds that the photographers told her, on that day, that they had had to shellac a lobster! I am not saying these tricks are fair, but I suspect that they've always been done albeit the current methods may be more sophisticated. On the other hand, I refer to the recipes on food.com a lot and many people submit photographs which look really awful. Tends to put me off wanting to try recipes when the photos look bad. I could be cynical and say the good photos are taken by professionals but then I think of the beautiful food photos you all submit on reports and figure that a lot of it has to do with the skill of the photographers. I really love your all's reports. I have never been any good at photography and am lacking if my photos' subjects resemble the model.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2015
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/16 23:23:00 (permalink)
    I worked on a KFC commercial for a week, there was fresh chicken coming from a nearby store every 30 minutes or so for hours on end.
    The food stylists would painstakingly pick through the sheet pans of chicken to get the perfect piece for the camera.
    95% of the chicken went untouched.
    Everyone on the crew took home buckets of the stuff.
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 00:13:39 (permalink)
    see how they got that bottle of pepsi in the ad.isn't kfc owned by pepsi's yum brands?

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 00:35:09 (permalink)
    mlm

On the other hand, I refer to the recipes on food.com a lot and many people submit photographs which look really awful. Tends to put me off wanting to try recipes when the photos look bad. I could be cynical and say the good photos are taken by professionals but then I think of the beautiful food photos you all submit on reports and figure that a lot of it has to do with the skill of the photographers. I really love your all's reports. I have never been any good at photography and am lacking if my photos' subjects resemble the model.

Some of those might be mine...I used to post recipes there before they drove me away (back when it was Recipezaar, and not owned by the Food Network). My early photography attempts were...special... Digital cameras have helped my food photography tremendously.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 09:18:46 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

My big complaint is that the food SERVED doesn't even come close to what you see in the PHOTOS

The menu photo's show lush examples, but what you get most of the time doesn't even come close.

One taco place has minimal "meat filling" but lots of cheap lettuce & cheese. I've seen how these are "constructed" with a long skinny trowel like gadget, so each taco is uniformly mediocre.

Another place, a burger chain that also has taco's on the menu, has what can best be describes as a bean dip like flavored paste...

Does the FTC have any jurisdiction over fast food chains and their advertising..?

Can we actually exert a meaningful voice of protest, or are we apathetic sheeple..?

Food. fast or otherwise is never going to look like the photos. As someone else said is what you cook at home looking what it looks like in the cookbook? Millions of dollars are spent on food stylists to make it look that way. Once while working for Cracker Barrel, a man sent his food back three times. Not because it did not taste good, he never got that far. But because "This does not look like the picture". Even took a picture and emailed it to corporate. Food goes to crap very quickly under hot studio lights and such. Ever seen all that fake food they use in Japan? I just  take it with a grain of salt, it is never, ever going to look like the picture.
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 11:46:14 (permalink)
    Just hope they don't play with the actual ingredients. Are those listed on line. I shuddered when I read in an old Heloise book(circa early 1960's) how you could tell if your butcher or meat department had added fillers to ground meat. She hinted very strongly that butchers could be sneaky and try to slip some in. I know now that the package label has to say now what's in it but I hope that system is air tight. When did such labeling begin, I wonder? Pure Food and Drug Act came in in 1906. I would have thought that would cover fillers long before the 1960s.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 11:52:43 (permalink)
    This may be straying from the original (or fried chicken) theme ...
    https://www.facebook.com/...1&relevant_count=1
    ... funny, whenever I type  the word 'FRIED" I think of our friend Ellen ...
    Anyhow, the picture amused me.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 12:04:09 (permalink)
    I've often been tempted to take a picture like this into a Subway and say:  "Make it look exactly like this for the posted price,":

tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 14:40:24 (permalink)
    A local radio station says, "Athletes shouldn't use steroids and models shouldn't use Photoshop" and I'll add Subway shouldn't use Photoshop either.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 21:41:08 (permalink)
    felix4067

You have a cookbook..?  I've heard of those things...

The only books I have that contain recipes are book about railroad cuisine...which is an entirely different subculture of kitchen alchemy (under difficult circumstances)

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 21:47:17 (permalink)
    starfire62
    see how they got that bottle of pepsi in the ad.isn't kfc owned by pepsi's yum brands?

Multiple product placement abounds...big bucks in movies where companies can bid for their car, beer, drink, etc to be in the shot
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 21:57:09 (permalink)
    I guess my MAIN gripe is the tiny amount of "meat substance" that actually goes into a taco at Taco Belch compared to the picture. When I say I want it to look like the picture, I'm thinking about the amount of meat, and when it comes to Booger King, those tacos don't even come close...

I understand that if I want a REAL taco, go to a REAL taco joint...but sometimes I'm on the road and the only thing available is the usual "scarf & barf" fast food chain...

{sigh}

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 22:00:36 (permalink)
    or...

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/17 22:24:47 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

felix4067

You have a cookbook..?  I've heard of those things...

The only books I have that contain recipes are book about railroad cuisine...which is an entirely different subculture of kitchen alchemy (under difficult circumstances)

While I enjoy creating my own recipes (and have well over a hundred published in various places online) yes, I do own cookbooks. Most of them were my grandmother's. But if not owning cookbooks can make you feel superior, then go for it.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/19 07:32:35 (permalink)
    When we were kids, my brother got a Big Mac at McDonald's.  He opened the wrapper (they used to have a paper ring around the sandwich and then a wrapper like todays hamburgers) and when he saw the sandwich, he screamed out "I got a small Mac".

It got ugly after that.

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/19 15:57:39 (permalink)
    felix4067
    But if not owning cookbooks can make you feel superior, then go for it.

It has nothing to do with feeling superior (which sounds like an ego trip)...Like I said, I have railroad recipes in specialized books.

I guess cookbooks like many folks might have just isn't on my radar, and I'm a very picky eater (non gourmet), so when I shop for books, cookbooks just doesn't come to mind...
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:Fast food false advertising 2014/05/20 11:17:57 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I get the point here. It's well-understood that any kind of advertising, fast food or otherwise, presents an idealized version of the actual product.  
    When you go to McDonald's or Taco Bell, you're getting stuff that's assembled and delivered to you super-quickly, made from cheap ingredients and priced accordingly.  You know exactly what you're getting.  Why pretend otherwise?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1