Fat free -- heart healthy

Author
bandman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2004/04/16 13:29:46 (permalink)

Fat free -- heart healthy

I am not a veggy fan, but I have a heart condition (heart attack and quadruple bypass 8 weeks ago). I'm trying to be really good, but I am tired of eating the same things every week.

Any ideas about some unique low fat or fat free recipes that might help that do not require green veggies.

Today I cooked Mahi Mahi with Walker's Wood BBQ Sauce on a George Foreman Grill. It was great!!! Wonderful jerk seasonings and ready in about 10 minutes. The best thing was that it is low fat. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Fat free -- heart healthy 2004/04/16 13:43:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bandman

I am not a veggy fan, but I have a heart condition (heart attack and quadruple bypass 8 weeks ago). I'm trying to be really good, but I am tired of eating the same things every week.

Any ideas about some unique low fat or fat free recipes that might help that do not require green veggies.

Today I cooked Mahi Mahi with Walker's Wood BBQ Sauce on a George Foreman Grill. It was great!!! Wonderful jerk seasonings and ready in about 10 minutes. The best thing was that it is low fat. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance!

How about some healthy nachos?
    Baked Tostitos
    Hormel or Dennison's Turkey Chili
    a handful of grated Slenderella cheddar or soy cheese melted on top.

That turkey chili works well on Healthy Choice Hot Dogs or Boca Burgers too. I would suggest pulverizing it a little bit to get the consistency a little easier to pour.
    I'm not a vegetarian but there are some really tasty vegetarian options out there.. any of the soy chicken products are pretty darn good. Stay away from any soy based sausage or bacon products..YUK!
    Louis Rich Turkey Bacon is excellent however.

I'll get ya more recipes when I'm not pinched for time! God bless!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Fat free -- heart healthy 2004/04/16 15:06:49 (permalink)
    You might want to try Choices For A Healthy Heart, by Joseph C. Piscatella, Workman Publishing. And there's the American Heart Association's Low-Salt Cookbook.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Fat free -- heart healthy 2004/04/16 16:00:09 (permalink)
    Bandman, here's wishing you a full and fast recovery. I have several friends who are members of the "zipperclub" and boneless chicken breast seems to be one the mainstays of a low fat diet. When marinated and broiled or grilled, it is very low in fats. You need to make your own marinade since many store-bought versions have too many saturated fats and oils in them. A little olive oil (good high-density lipids), vinegar or soy sauce, some water, and various herbs and sessonings can provide many varied flavors.

Fish is another healthy and tasty alternative as you have discovered. either goes well with some steamed rice on the side. Why no green veggies? I couldn't live without romaine lettuce salads and tomato, or some cooked spinach as a side.
    bandman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Fat free -- heart healthy 2004/04/16 19:08:54 (permalink)
    Berndog,

When I was a kid my mom would force feed spinach and broccoli on the kids in our house. the old "you can't get up from the table...." or "you can't play in the baseball game friday...." ".... until you eat your broccoli" usually got us to eat the greens, but it also taught us to hate those veggies. Even as an adult I gag at the thought of green veggies. I'm sure it's all in my head. I will never force feed my child anything and she loves veggies, with okra being number one on her list.

As for boneless skinless chicken, I think I have had it 15 different ways. Add to that turkey chili, Mahi Mahi, and a tiny bit of shrimp, and you have my entire diet as far as meat is concerned. Today was the best when I put the Walker's Wood sauce on the Mahi Mahi and cooked it on the Foreman Grill. It really tasted like something I would order at a restaurant.

Best thing so far since the surgery is that I found a restaurant that will boil crawfish for me WITHOUT SALT. It is still not good for me, but when you live in south Louisiana you have to eat at least some crawfish each year or they deport you to the north!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1