Father and Son in Linden

Author
njweiner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/01/20 17:52:01 (permalink)

Father and Son in Linden

I am looking to find out what happened to Father and Son in Linden. They closed in the Summer of 2006 and was suppose to re-open a few months later. I drove by and now see Manny's Texas Weiners in the same location at Father and Son. Are they really going to open.. How is this new place???

Thanks

15 Replies Related Threads

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/20 19:37:52 (permalink)
    Where is this Linden?

MikeS.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/20 21:36:43 (permalink)
    Linden is in New Jersey. Father & Son, a Linden luncheonette/hot dog place, has been, as the menu stated, "A Linden Landmark since 1941."

Until they lost their lease sometime last year, they served a griddled, all-beef, Grote & Weigel hot dog, and were renowned for their chili, a rather hot rendition that consistently received raves from those who like it that way.

Although Father & Son was supposed to open a new place, just across Wood Avenue and a few doors down, there has been no movement in that space, and no further information.

In the meantime, City Hall Deli, on Wood Ave., just a few doors down from where Father & Son was, has contracted to serve the Father & Son hot dog, as well as the chili.

Manny's Texas Weiner, which operates a restaurant in Union, New Jersey, has opened a 2nd establishment in the space where Father & Son was.

The Bear
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/21 09:26:37 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Has anyone stopped by the new Mannys where Father and Son used to be . ?

Benzee
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/21 20:06:16 (permalink)
    I've been there a couple of times. Smaller than Manny's in Union, but the same dogs and same chili. They have added an all beef dog to the menu. It's also from Grote & Weigel, I'm told. I haven't had this one yet, but if it is the G&W dog, then it would be the same one served at Father & Son. I think that Manny's did this intentionally in order to satisfy previous customers of Father & Son, who are used to the all beef dog. Inceidentally, Manny's has a sign up stating that their regular dog (Grote & Weigel beef and pork griddle frank) is 80% beef and 20% pork. This is NOT true! I don't know if the sign is a mistake, or if they are intentially trying to mislead people into thinking this dog is mostly beef. I've spoken to people at Grote & Weigel who tell me the dog is mostly pork. You can even taste it for yourself. They wouldn't give me an exact percentage, but said that the regular dog (which says Texas Weiner on the label) is between 60 and 80% pork. I've seen the label and pork is listed first, meaning that there is more of it.

I've also been to the City Hall Deli, which is right around the corner from Manny's/the old Father & Son. They do use the same dog (G&W all beef) and chili that Father & Son does. Only difference is that they don't have dogs on the griddle ready to take off and slap on a bun. They are made to order. Mine was fine. If I remember correctly, Screenbear went and had a dog, but his was split and griddled.

Months back I received a letter from someone at Father & Son telling me about their new building and promising to send me a letter informing me of their Grand Opening. I haven't received anything since, and have heard rumors on a Linden Forum that they may never re-open. I was also told this by the owner of the City Hall Deli. For those who want the same dog and chili that was available at Father & Son, you can get it at City Hall Deli as Screenbear mentioned.
    njweiner
    Junior Burger
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/22 20:51:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I will try Manny's soon...
    foobuc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/22 21:53:53 (permalink)
    in a twist of irony, i spoke today w/ my buddy who owns a clam bar on the seaside heights nj boardwalk and he asked me where in Linden i had gone to eat a hot dog. so i told him "J's Beef". he then puts me on the phone w/ a person he knows as a customer up there and it was the co-owner? of the new Manny's in Linden. Didn't catch his name but I told him i would stop by and give it a try! There may be a Manny's going elsewhere too but i don't know if i am allowed to spilled the beans. If i get a chance to go there i will ask if it is ok if i say the whereabouts of the possible new location...
    jkiseli
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/23 14:56:09 (permalink)
    Father & Son is my favorite as well, they have closed and are supposed to re-open across from City Hall in Linden - or that is what I am told anyhow...I am awaiting them to re-open - a family tradition for many years.

Jeff
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/25 06:09:49 (permalink)
    I was going to say , never heard of em... Until you said NJ

I live in Linden..... Tennessee that is.
    jkiseli
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/25 17:17:48 (permalink)
    Okay...well I stopped into the Manny's Texas Weiner (Formerly Original Father & Son Location) they were great actually, I got some to go as well as a container of Chili and brought it home. I suggest stopping into Manny's - they are not bad :-)
    eggsactley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Father and Son in Linden 2007/01/28 12:40:30 (permalink)
    I like Manny's in Linden but I miss the funky 60's luncheonette vibe that the old Father and Son had.
    Stan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Father and Son in Linden 2014/03/25 14:38:37 (permalink)
    They are at 900 St. Georges Ave. in Linden NJ.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Father and Son in Linden 2014/03/25 15:06:34 (permalink)
    Stan
    They are at 900 St. Georges Ave. in Linden NJ.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/father-and-son-luncheonette-linden
    ScreenBear
    Re:Father and Son in Linden 2014/03/25 22:14:22 (permalink)
    Father & Son Luncheonette in Linden, New Jersey,  is among my favorite hot dog restaurants. The dogs, griddled  all-beef, natural casing Grote & Weigels, are superb; the rather spicy chili is acknowledged as legendary; and the newest topping being offered, called Kapusta and made in house, is a terrific sauerkraut infused with bacon and onion that has been rapidly winning over whosoever tries it. While many places attempt to wow customers with all sorts of novelty toppings, Kapusta is a no-gimmick addition to the encyclopedia of truly worthy toppings. Note that the owner of Father & Son is a true hot dog enthusiast who is very dedicated to serving the very best frankfurter he can. 

On tap in the near future, Father & Son is planning to also begin serving the hot dog of realm.....the 5 to a lb., all- beef, natural casing Best Hot Dog, more commonly known to aficionados of encased meat simply as the Syd's Dog. In the last year  we've seen the demise of several hot dog joints in New Jersey and have had very little new to cheer. Hence, this is the best news to come down the weiner pike in a dog's age.

I can't wait to have my first Syd's Dog at Father & Son, which, to honor the late Syd, will be adorned with sauerkraut, mustard and sweet relish, which was known at the original Syd's in Newark, N.J., as a Sweetworks. Then I'll try the Kapusta on one, and then maybe the chili, and if I still have room, I'll have another Sweetworks, just for good measure. Round and round I'll go, and where I'll stop nobody knows.

The Bear

johnlockedema
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Father and Son in Linden 2014/03/27 10:58:05 (permalink)
    Of course, it's not the same without Son of Satan working the counter.  :)
    ScreenBear
    Re:Father and Son in Linden 2014/04/01 23:07:26 (permalink)
    “Mother of All Hot Dogs Joins Father & Son Family”

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. Let's go to press."
                                  Walter Winchell

LINDEN, N.J. -- (Combined Dispatches) -- It is said that it is darkest before the dawn, and apparently this is also true insofar as the Frankfurter World is concerned.

Last week, the most exciting news to come down the Hot Dog Highway in quite some time was announced in this city when Don Cymbalic, proprietor of Father & Son Luncheonette at 902 West Saint Georges Avenue, performed a shoestring catch and essentially kept the flame alive for an important New Jersey icon by adding the Syd’s Dog, a 5-to-a-lb., all-beef, natural casing Best Provision hot dog, to his already stellar offerings.

While reports of Syd’s sightings are sporadically noted but usually unconfirmed in the milieu of encased meat enthusiasts, sad news came recently when The Garage, in Millburn, New Jersey, which purveyed said Hot Dog of Realm, closed its doors. Coincidentally, Mr. Cymbalic had already been making plans to add the Best Provision dog to his menu of all-beef, Grote & Weigel hot dogs.

At Father & Son, the Syd’s, named after the famed Syd Goldstein who originally championed the dog at his namesake restaurant on Chancellor Avenue, Newark, New Jersey, beginning in 1941, will be known as “The Mother” (get it? get it?). The formidably sized frank, nicely equipped, sells for $3.95.

The launch was greeted Saturday, March 29, 2014, by a small, convivial group of hot dog aficionados, some who traveled good distances. They gathered, exchanged lore concerning this member of hot dog royalty and affirmed that all the brouhaha surrounding its restoration to the crown was warranted.

Your humble auditor begged his heart be still in anticipation of his first Syd’s Dog in the new venue, ordered a la Syd’s in Sweetworks mode (mustard, sweet relish and sauerkraut). First boiled and then finished on the grill, again per the original Syd’s tradition, it was a Proustian memory come alive.

Then, to see if the grand old dog could learn new tricks, I ordered another with Father & Son’s latest offering:  the homemade Kapusta. Though a secret recipe (of course), we do know that this excellently piquant and savory sauerkraut topping contains bacon and onion. It’s awfully good. Penning this, I vicariously lick my lips.

While a large breakfast prior to my visit precluded the obvious next choice---the legendary, rather spicy Father & Son chili---happily a young man in his early twenties, not a part of our group, who serendipitously happened to order the Syd’s, tried it with chili and cheese. Asked how he liked it, he smiled and gave a thumbs up. Thus spake youth.

Alas, the Syd’s travels across time and evaporates the generation gap, and Mr. Wolfe, dear sir, apparently, insofar as hot dogs are concerned, you can go home again.

The Bear

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1