Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift.

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
2007/06/19 01:56:50 (permalink)

Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift.

I am not a holiday guy. Trudy has said she thinks Charles Dickens engaged in time travel and based Ebeneezer Scrooge on me. So it was with some surpise(and a little alarm) that I ventured forth with son Sam and wife Trudy for a surprise Father's Day excursion. Trudy had noted my growing concern that Buffetbuster was adding to his roadfood numbers while I was treading water. So she decided to take me to Tillamook, Oregon to eat at a couple of new roadfood places as well as see the ocean. She unfortunately had forgotten to charge her camera so there won't be any photos of this day. We drove to the coast on the Wilson River highway, a pleasant drive through the second growth area of the Tillamook Burn and also famous as the highway that always seem to close for a couple of weeks each winter due to landslides. We arrived in Tillamook and were given an immediate pungent olfactory reminder of the area's main industry when smelled the lovely odor of manure. Tillamook has six major rivers that flow into an estuary and is the home of the Tillamook creamery, producer of Tillamook Cheddar and some of the finest gourmet ice cream in the country. I thinks it is a state law that everyone who goes through Tillamook must stop for ice cream and one million visitors a year attest to popularity. There are a couple dozen flavors(Trudy loves mountain huckleberry, I love Marionberry pie, Sam loves bubble gum) and the ice cream is as good as I have ever eaten. It is the only ice cream I go out of my way to buy. The only bad thing is they aren't making cheese on weekends so we could not watch the process. Our sweet tooth sated ,we headed for Pacific Oyster in Bay City for seafood. Pacific Seafood is a processing plant on a small jetty. There is a place inside where you eat the best of their catch. I ordered two lovely Kamamoto Oysters served in a shot glass and son Sam ate his very first raw oyster. There is a sign in the restaurant which says "Nothing prepares you for your fist raw oyster" and Sam demonstrated. the truth of that saying. He made such a face. The restaurant did take a picture and I hope I will be able to post it here someday.
I had an oysterburger( 4 fried oysters on a hamburger bun), Sam had fish and chips and Trudy had chowder and an oyster and crab sandwich. The pictures and review by the Sterns on this site provide a good idea of what you would see there.
Trudy took us next to a small county park with three rocks just off the shore. Tidepools galore, sea anenomes, a black comorant that dried his wings by stretching them out as if he were wearing a cape. Sam got to dig, I got to bird watch and we passed a nice time there.
Our drive back to Tillamook was fun as we saw a number of hawks. We stopped at Fresh Seafood Northwest, a restaurant directly across from the creamery. Owner Kerri showed up with fresh fish from her parents and showed a Sam a f fish and a little while later showing him the fillet. I had excellent chowder and Sam had the crabby patty. The cook was yellow and pourous with a high-pitched voice and looked vaguely familiar and the Crabby patty itself was excellent. The Sterns review and pictures on this site are a good guide to what we saw.
We spent the afternoon on Three Capes road and returned to the creamery for dinner. My meal was Tillamooker, a deceptively simple and unforgettabe sandwich. Sharp cheddar on fresh sourdough, a combination that was so good I almost had another.
It was a wonderful day and I am so grateful to wife and son for treating me to one of the best days i have had in along time.

7 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4590
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 06:17:54 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great outing.

Happy Father's Day.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10067
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 08:23:47 (permalink)
    mr chips-
    Sorry to cause you consternation!

It sounds like a great trip with your family. I think it is wonderful that they did something they knew you would really enjoy doing.

I loved the ice cream at Tillamook Cheddar. It was so good, I actually had four scoops, with huckleberry being my favorite. No doubt, one of the best ice creams I have ever had. Pacific Oyster also made a really good impression on me. It really was such an interesting location and the grilled cheese with shrimp I had was delicious!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 08:34:45 (permalink)
    I was in Portland,OR last week and I had the afternoon off and drove down to McMinnville to view the great museum that contained the Spruce Goose and after that, I drove over to Tillamook. Great destination and their ice cream and cheese is very very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6613
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 15:39:52 (permalink)
    We came up through Tillamook on our way from CA to AK. Stopped at the Creamery. The line for ice cream was so long we just bought cheese and headed down the road.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10067
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 15:48:39 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    There are very few things in life I will wait in line for, but ice cream is one of them!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6613
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 16:21:13 (permalink)
    bb- HE wanted the ice cream and I even offered to wait in line!! I offered over and over (he is not a patient person) but the answer was, "Nope, we have to get back on the road." So we bought our cheese and left.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    RE: Father's Day in Tillamook,Oregon, A Roadfood gift. 2007/06/19 18:47:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

The cook was yellow and pourous with a high-pitched voice and looked vaguely familiar

Sounds like someone I know!

Chips, another fine report!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1