Hot!Favorite BBQ Sauce

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JayL
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 08:44:44 (permalink)
I keep a bottle of Scott's on hand even though I make my own.  I've never heard of a Scott's "Red Hot".  Maybe you're talking about a different Scott's.  Mine is a vinegar sauce made in Goldsboro, NC.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 09:38:02 (permalink)
It's the same sauce.   The label says "Red Hot" near the top of the label, with the words spread out: red on the left, hot on the right.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4007
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 09:58:14 (permalink)
I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's as a base to make my own sauces. Now, with my diet, though, sauce has been sacrificed temporarily. yesterday I smoked a rack of baby backs in my Traeger with a dry rub. Last night I went through a ton of recipes trying to find a low fat, low sugar BBQ sauce. I think I'm gonna try and make my own because I can't seem to find a decent one or recipe. 
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 10:54:41 (permalink)
MellowRoast

It's the same sauce.   The label says "Red Hot" near the top of the label, with the words spread out: red on the left, hot on the right.

Yep, it does.  In 40 years I have never even noticed that.  LoL

I grew up with Scott's and it is a good pantry item. 

I don't consider it hot, but can understand most people would. 
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 10:58:40 (permalink)
EdSails

I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's as a base to make my own sauces. Now, with my diet, though, sauce has been sacrificed temporarily. yesterday I smoked a rack of baby backs in my Traeger with a dry rub. Last night I went through a ton of recipes trying to find a low fat, low sugar BBQ sauce. I think I'm gonna try and make my own because I can't seem to find a decent one or recipe. 

Pro Tip:

If you find a recipe that you think you'll like, don't worry if it calls for fat, oil, or sugar.  Make it without the offending ingredients.  If I ever look at sauce recipes, it's usually for ideas rather than a specific list of things to dump in a pot.  Take the basic premiss of a recipe and modify it as you please. 

Best of luck to you.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 11:42:52 (permalink)
JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

If you find a recipe that you think you'll like, don't worry if it calls for fat, oil, or sugar.  Make it without the offending ingredients.  If I ever look at sauce recipes, it's usually for ideas rather than a specific list of things to dump in a pot.  Take the basic premiss of a recipe and modify it as you please. 

Best of luck to you.

That's the way I cook, which is why I said I looked at a ton of recipes. What I'm trying to find is what I can substitute for the brown sugar, molasses, etc. without sacrificing flavor. I usually look at a lot of recipes so I can take the best elements  (such as a particular herb, spice or technique) and combine them to create my own.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 12:31:33 (permalink)
EdSails

JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

Best of luck to you.

That's the way I cook, which is why I said I looked at a ton of recipes. What I'm trying to find is what I can substitute for the brown sugar, molasses, etc. without sacrificing flavor. I usually look at a lot of recipes so I can take the best elements  (such as a particular herb, spice or technique) and combine them to create my own.

ED, try fresh Pineapple or Orange juice as a substitute!

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 14:01:51 (permalink)
chewingthefat

EdSails

JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Chewy!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 14:12:30 (permalink)
Sauce? We don't need no stinkin sauce!
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 14:33:44 (permalink)
I have two local favorites, and I like them equally.  Gates BBQ sauce and Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ sauce are both tangy, some zing to the flavor, and not too sweet.  I know Kansas City is known for its sweat sauces, but I don't like BBQ sauce to be overly sweet.  Consequently, I do not like KC Masterpiece sauce.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 408
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 14:34:29 (permalink)
EdSails

chewingthefat

EdSails

JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Chewy!

Indeed, there's alot out there in the way of fruit types of bbq sauces. Perhaps this one?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/guava-barbeque-sauce/
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/10 14:49:05 (permalink)
Twinwillow

It certainly was interesting smoking the pork baby backs on Wednesday. They were definitely flavorful with the dry rub I concocted, but it would have been nice to have some barbecue sauce to dip them in too. 
Even at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, Texas, they put a little sauce on the brisket sandwich. Maybe you do things different in the big city?

kevincad, that sauce does sound delicious. Thanks!

thefoodguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/22 17:08:15 (permalink)
Hi Gang..aint been round here in a spell.

couldnt resist chiming in though..

My favorite "bottled sauce" if I had to choose would be "Sticky Fingers"(carolina sweet style, they have others).
It IS a sweeter sauce.. a little zingy, not smoky or vinager-y.. very awesome IMO.
(for  reference -sweet baby rays was my goto bottled sauce..but this Sticky fingers is my new "baby" sorry Ray. ;) )

I'd give it a try..if I were..me..or anyone.
T

MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/22 17:41:17 (permalink)
If I were going to use a sauce (most often I don't), I would use Scott's Red Hot, Bishop's 3 'N' 1 Stuff, Calhoun's, or Stick Fingers Tennessee Whiskey.  If I use one, it's for dipping on the side or drizzling -- not immersing or smothering.  
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/22 18:17:20 (permalink)
EdSails

Twinwillow

It certainly was interesting smoking the pork baby backs on Wednesday. They were definitely flavorful with the dry rub I concocted, but it would have been nice to have some barbecue sauce to dip them in too. 
Even at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, Texas, they put a little sauce on the brisket sandwich. Maybe you do things different in the big city?

kevincad, that sauce does sound delicious. Thanks!

Ed, that BBQ sandwich looks delicious! Actually, they do use sauce in "Big D". It's mostly in Central Texas that sauce is generally eschewed.

Personally, I've always enjoyed a little well made sweet ketchup based sauce or a Carolina style vinegar based sauce as a condiment with my BBQ.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce 2014/01/22 18:39:43 (permalink)
collinf

I have two local favorites, and I like them equally.  Gates BBQ sauce and Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ sauce are both tangy, some zing to the flavor, and not too sweet.  I know Kansas City is known for its sweat sauces, but I don't like BBQ sauce to be overly sweet.  Consequently, I do not like KC Masterpiece sauce.

gates hot was always my favorite, along with AB's.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1