Favorite Beans?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
C Turner Joy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 159
  • Joined: 2005/07/11 23:05:00
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/03/28 23:01:13 (permalink)
"Black beans are so sexy..." I think Nell Carter sang that.

They are my favorite beans. Odd thing is, I cannot cook them to save my life. I have tried to cook dry black beans no less than two dozen times in my life. I've tried countless recipes. The beans just seem to steal all added flavors and become dull. But in a restaurant, or when someone else cooks them, they're great. I makes me sad.

I have to make do with canned Goya black beans. Fortunately, they're pretty good.
#61
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
  • Joined: 2007/03/11 21:49:00
  • Location: Bacliff, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/03/28 23:29:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by C Turner Joy

"Black beans are so sexy..." I think Nell Carter sang that.

They are my favorite beans. Odd thing is, I cannot cook them to save my life. I have tried to cook dry black beans no less than two dozen times in my life. I've tried countless recipes. The beans just seem to steal all added flavors and become dull. But in a restaurant, or when someone else cooks them, they're great. I makes me sad.

I have to make do with canned Goya black beans. Fortunately, they're pretty good.

I've had issues with black beans myself, my Friend. I know the common pitfalls like don't salt them until they're tender and all that. To tell you the truth I avoid those and cook other beans I know I cook well.
#62
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
  • Joined: 2003/05/15 17:58:00
  • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/03/29 00:19:59 (permalink)
Good one, C Turner Joy!
#63
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/03/29 00:36:13 (permalink)
For "beans 'n cornbread", I like pintos or navy beans.

Since I was a kid, I have loved lima beans with lots of butter.

I can do great things with fresh fava beans these days, and I love them.

The very pretty and extremely talented lleechef always mentions my simple way of cooking "Bushie's Beans", but I once asked her how to cook authentic Boston Beans. Here's what she sent, and I've never eaten any that come close to these wonderful things. In her words:

For the beans, soak about a pound of white pea beans the night before. In a heavy pot put some chopped salt pork and a chopped onion. Add the beans on top. Add about 1 C molasses, 1/2 C brown sugar, about 2T vinegar, 2t dry mustard and some black pepper. Stir it all together. Cover with water, cover the pot and put on low to cook. Check the water level from time to time and keep adding so the beans are covered. Takes about 10-12 hours to cook. The last 2 hours uncover the pot. The beans on top should look "crusty" and the ones underneath creamy.


Oh, and did I mention how cute she is??
#64
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
  • Joined: 2007/03/11 21:49:00
  • Location: Bacliff, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/03/29 06:04:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

For "beans 'n cornbread", I like pintos or navy beans.

Since I was a kid, I have loved lima beans with lots of butter.

I can do great things with fresh fava beans these days, and I love them.

The very pretty and extremely talented lleechef always mentions my simple way of cooking "Bushie's Beans", but I once asked her how to cook authentic Boston Beans. Here's what she sent, and I've never eaten any that come close to these wonderful things. In her words:

For the beans, soak about a pound of white pea beans the night before. In a heavy pot put some chopped salt pork and a chopped onion. Add the beans on top. Add about 1 C molasses, 1/2 C brown sugar, about 2T vinegar, 2t dry mustard and some black pepper. Stir it all together. Cover with water, cover the pot and put on low to cook. Check the water level from time to time and keep adding so the beans are covered. Takes about 10-12 hours to cook. The last 2 hours uncover the pot. The beans on top should look "crusty" and the ones underneath creamy.


Oh, and did I mention how cute she is??

All I can add to that is:
#65
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
  • Joined: 2004/01/28 10:13:00
  • Location: Nokomis, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/04/19 10:08:51 (permalink)
Dried lima beans Greek style--soaked, drained, cooked with tomatoes, olive oil, onions, garlic, Italian parsley, s&p. All day in the crock pot. If you would like proportions I'll share the recipe.
#66
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
  • Joined: 2005/10/18 22:23:00
  • Location: Mandeville, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/04/19 10:38:22 (permalink)
Yes please!
#67
Xu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Joined: 2006/08/05 19:06:00
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/04/20 03:32:06 (permalink)
Any bean in a crockpot....black beans otherwise...I never found them hard to cook, now I'm confused, and I still don't know the real difference between butter and lima beans...the size?

#68
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
  • Joined: 2007/03/04 10:21:00
  • Location: Pompano Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/04 15:41:24 (permalink)
Green beans are my favorite with just some sea salt and creamy butter. I also like the pole beans and the Kentucky type of green beans. I also love garbanzo beans or chickpeas. I love chickpeas and my homemade garlic and basil marinara sauce served over linguini.
Help me out here Illechef what is the name of that pasta?
#69
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/04 16:44:13 (permalink)
What's the mystery to cooking black beans? When I was at the restaurant and needed a soup in a BIG hurry, it was always black bean soup. Dice up an onion, throw it in a pot, add the black beans (dried), some Cajun spice, chicken stock and boil for about 1 hour. Cilantro at the end if you want. Top with a dollop of sour cream. Another good one is Southwestern Beef and Black Bean soup. I love them because they cook so fast.
#70
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/04 16:45:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blue heaven

Green beans are my favorite with just some sea salt and creamy butter. I also like the pole beans and the Kentucky type of green beans. I also love garbanzo beans or chickpeas. I love chickpeas and my homemade garlic and basil marinara sauce served over linguini.
Help me out here Illechef what is the name of that pasta?


I'd gladly help you out but I'm not sure which pasta you're referring to!
#71
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
  • Joined: 2004/01/28 10:13:00
  • Location: Nokomis, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/05 10:45:27 (permalink)
Bham Babe: Forgot to share this recipe, haven't looked at the thread for a long time. Here it is:
Baked Limas Greek Style:
1 pound dried lima beans, soaked overnight and simmered until just tender
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably flat-leaf
1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped fine
Drain limas, put them into your crock pot with all other ingredients, add a half cup water and simmer all day.
#72
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
  • Joined: 2007/02/12 13:59:00
  • Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/05 11:47:24 (permalink)
My favorite is the Anasazi beans. We buy them in 10 pound bags directly from Adobe Milling in Dove Creek, CO whenever we go through. Very much like pintos except sweeter. They are a very colorful bean but fade when cooked. My husband cooks them with onion, garlic, oregano and bacon. Wonderful meal with corn bread or flour tortillas! Add water and you can have Anasazi bean soup. Anasazis are an ancient bean first found in cliff dwellings. I also really like garbanzos.
#73
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
  • Joined: 2007/05/27 09:50:00
  • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/07 19:17:51 (permalink)
Black beans cooked in a pressure cooker with smoked pork,fresh garlic, bay leaves & kosher salt.

Brazilian style that is!
#74
craven.sean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Joined: 2007/05/24 10:48:00
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Favorite Beans? 2007/06/07 20:08:05 (permalink)
You can put me down with everybody else who's enthusiastic about beans in a general way... I like 'em all and I eat 'em all the time.

For years I only ate black beans due to the influence of some particularly spectacular refritos my aunt once made, but then I changed my ways. See, around here there's usually a choice of black, pinto, and refried beans at Mexican restaurants, and I noticed that the Latin American customers always went for the pintos. Now I bounce around between black, pink, pinto, and Anasazi beans for my day-to-day dosage.

I have a ham hock cut in half, put it into a slow cooker, top it off with beans and water and let 'er go overnight. Minimum seasoning is intentional -- that way if I want to make minestrone, I season for minestrone. I want a burrito, likewise. Or New Orleans-style beans and rice... Minimum seasoning, maximum flexibility. I always have some in the freezer ready to roll.

Canelli or white beans for ham and bean soup. Mmmm - limas. Kidney beans are good in a three-bean salad, if nowhere else. And when I make lentil soup I use a lot of greens and finish it off with lemon juice. Hummus! BBQ beans! Or to stray into the fresh bean field, long beans sauteed with garlic and sprinkled with sesame oil... There's no natural stopping point here. Oaf heart beans.
#75
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1