The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Favorite Beans?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 75
Author Message
dickestep

  • Total Posts: 533
  • Joined: 3/11/2007
  • Location: Bacliff, TX
Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 8:47 PM (permalink)
There are anastazi, pinto, lima, great northern, navy (pea), kidney, black, white, and fava beans among others. My favorite is the pinto, which is usually used in refried beans, too. I've eaten them all my life, and if the old saying you are what you eat is true, I'm a pinto bean.
 
#1
    ann peeples

    • Total Posts: 8317
    • Joined: 5/21/2006
    • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
    RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 9:10 PM (permalink)
    Pintos have to be my favorite!
     
    #2
      Adjudicator

      • Total Posts: 5057
      • Joined: 5/20/2003
      • Location: Tallahassee, FL
      RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 9:12 PM (permalink)
      Ah. A visionary. So am I. Cutting to the chase, though... Are you saying that you are just an old fart???? () I am kidding of course...
       
      #3
        dickestep

        • Total Posts: 533
        • Joined: 3/11/2007
        • Location: Bacliff, TX
        RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 9:19 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by annpeeples

        Pintos have to be my favorite!
        I'm with you, Ann. I'll even substitute them for red kidney beans in red beans and rice. I love them refried on tortillas, too.
         
        #4
          mollydingle

          • Total Posts: 221
          • Joined: 10/14/2005
          • Location: Lawrence, MA
          RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 9:20 PM (permalink)
          I LOVE baked beans and often lament their diappearance from our culture. Made with Jacob's Cattle or pea beans, there's nothing like them on earth.
          Having said that, I love all beans, even human beans!
           
          #5
            dickestep

            • Total Posts: 533
            • Joined: 3/11/2007
            • Location: Bacliff, TX
            RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 9:27 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Adjudicator

            Ah. A visionary. So am I. Cutting to the chase, though... Are you saying that you are just an old fart???? () I am kidding of course...
            Why, you young whippersnapper... ROFLMBO!
             
            #6
              dickestep

              • Total Posts: 533
              • Joined: 3/11/2007
              • Location: Bacliff, TX
              RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 9:36 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by mollydingle

              I LOVE baked beans and often lament their diappearance from our culture. Made with Jacob's Cattle or pea beans, there's nothing like them on earth.
              Having said that, I love all beans, even human beans!

              I make baked beans for most holidays, but I use the canned pork and beans as a start, adding dark brown sugar, onions, garlic, bacon, peppers, and lots of BBQ sauce. I love them!
               
              #7
                Poverty Pete

                • Total Posts: 2266
                • Joined: 8/16/2003
                • Location: Nashville, TN
                RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 10:42 PM (permalink)
                Pinto is my bean of choice.
                 
                #8
                  mland520

                  • Total Posts: 485
                  • Joined: 9/8/2006
                  • Location: Dallas, TX
                  RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 10:45 PM (permalink)
                  favorite bean has got to be the lima or a good butter bean- baked slow and low- with pork added ( sometimes chops,sometimes not) YUM!
                  Pinto is also a good all round bean that stands up to almost all kinds of cooking and all kinds of additives-
                   
                  #9
                    Ciaoman

                    • Total Posts: 375
                    • Joined: 5/2/2006
                    • Location: Killingworth, CT
                    RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 11:23 PM (permalink)
                    I'm a "beanie" too...they're delicious! I guess if I had to pick a fave, I'd say cannellini (Great Northern) beans. I love these little white beans cooked in the Tuscan style with olive oil, garlic, sage and peppercorns. Also, the addition of pancetta is great too. Makes an awesome bean soup too. Cooked cannellini beans poured onto a freshly-made piece of garlic bread, then good olive oil poured over it. Oh man is that good.
                     
                    #10
                      Pwingsx

                      • Total Posts: 2170
                      • Joined: 5/15/2003
                      • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                      RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 11:25 PM (permalink)
                      Navy or white beans, with lots of ham hocks.

                      I do also eat cold pork and beans out of the can. Scoop 'em out with Fritos.
                       
                      #11
                        dickestep

                        • Total Posts: 533
                        • Joined: 3/11/2007
                        • Location: Bacliff, TX
                        RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 11:27 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Poverty Pete

                        Pinto is my bean of choice.

                        You're an aficionado I whole heartedly agree with, Pete!
                         
                        #12
                          dickestep

                          • Total Posts: 533
                          • Joined: 3/11/2007
                          • Location: Bacliff, TX
                          RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 11:34 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by mland520

                          favorite bean has got to be the lima or a good butter bean- baked slow and low- with pork added ( sometimes chops,sometimes not) YUM!
                          Pinto is also a good all round bean that stands up to almost all kinds of cooking and all kinds of additives-
                          Yummy!
                          I like the lima or butterbeans combined with ham, too. They're a great variation when I feel like a change.
                          Yeppers, pintos are the most versatile bean, in my opinion.
                           
                          #13
                            dickestep

                            • Total Posts: 533
                            • Joined: 3/11/2007
                            • Location: Bacliff, TX
                            RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 11:41 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Ciaoman

                            I'm a "beanie" too...they're delicious! I guess if I had to pick a fave, I'd say cannellini (Great Northern) beans. I love these little white beans cooked in the Tuscan style with olive oil, garlic, sage and peppercorns. Also, the addition of pancetta is great too. Makes an awesome bean soup too. Cooked cannellini beans poured onto a freshly-made piece of garlic bread, then good olive oil poured over it. Oh man is that good.

                            Uh oh! Cannellini, huh? That does sound good. I'll have to look into them. I have a Sicilian Friend who does amazing things with vegetables. He used to have a bar with a kitchen out back. You never knew what incredible dishes he'd cook up and share.
                             
                            #14
                              dickestep

                              • Total Posts: 533
                              • Joined: 3/11/2007
                              • Location: Bacliff, TX
                              RE: Favorite Beans? Tue, 03/27/07 11:53 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Pwingsx

                              Navy or white beans, with lots of ham hocks.

                              I do also eat cold pork and beans out of the can. Scoop 'em out with Fritos.

                              Having been a biker, horseman, and sportsman I will confess to indulging in many a cold can of pork and beans straight from the saddlebags. Beanie Weenies have tasted pretty good at times, too. An old P-38 GI Folding Pocket Can Opener is usually on my keychain, though I have sawed open more than a few cans with my Buck knife. They have those with the pull tab now. I'll have to pick up more.
                               
                              #15
                                essemjay58

                                • Total Posts: 134
                                • Joined: 6/30/2006
                                • Location: Mahtomedi, MN
                                RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                I wouldn't think of putting kidney beans in chili. Pinto, mostly, and sometimes black.
                                 
                                #16
                                  dickestep

                                  • Total Posts: 533
                                  • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                  • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                  RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 12:25 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by essemjay58

                                  I wouldn't think of putting kidney beans in chili. Pinto, mostly, and sometimes black.
                                  Hee hee hee! Do you mean in the chili beans? You know how some of us purists are.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Cinnabonbon

                                    • Total Posts: 149
                                    • Joined: 8/1/2006
                                    • Location: Planet Earth, CA
                                    RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 2:43 AM (permalink)
                                    My favorite is pinto, followed by black beans, white beans and jelly beans.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      lleechef

                                      • Total Posts: 6256
                                      • Joined: 3/22/2003
                                      • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                      RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 3:36 AM (permalink)
                                      Never met a bean I didn't like. But Bushie's recipe for pintos is to die for!
                                       
                                      #19
                                        dickestep

                                        • Total Posts: 533
                                        • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                        • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                        RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 3:49 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Cinnabonbon

                                        My favorite is pinto, followed by black beans, white beans and jelly beans.
                                        Jelly beans too, huh? I like the gourmet ones with more flavors.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          dickestep

                                          • Total Posts: 533
                                          • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                          • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                          RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 3:51 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by lleechef

                                          Never met a bean I didn't like. But Bushie's recipe for pintos is to die for!

                                          It seems his beans have a lot of fans around here!
                                           
                                          #21
                                            BhamBabe

                                            • Total Posts: 879
                                            • Joined: 10/18/2005
                                            • Location: Mandeville, LA
                                            RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 4:21 AM (permalink)
                                            My all time favorite is speckled butter beans, though I haven't met a bean or pea I don't like.

                                            Depends on what you are serving lol

                                            Pinto beans with fried potatoes, butter peas with ham, purple hull crowder peas with anything, white acre peas with smoked turkey....you get the drift.

                                            You serve a meat and bean/pea and I'm there. Heck, you don't even have to give me meat if you'd serve a fresh tomato slice on the side.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              dickestep

                                              • Total Posts: 533
                                              • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                              • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                              RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 5:23 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by BhamBabe

                                              My all time favorite is speckled butter beans, though I haven't met a bean or pea I don't like.
                                              Depends on what you are serving lol
                                              Pinto beans with fried potatoes, butter peas with ham, purple hull crowder peas with anything, white acre peas with smoked turkey....you get the drift.
                                              You serve a meat and bean/pea and I'm there. Heck, you don't even have to give me meat if you'd serve a fresh tomato slice on the side.

                                              I recall reading an article by a nutritionist discussing the balance of proteins and carbohydrates our bodies need. Beans were one of the foods mentioned that was a perfect combination with many carbohydrates like rice and potatos. I think we like them because they are so good for us.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                doggydaddy

                                                • Total Posts: 1847
                                                • Joined: 6/11/2006
                                                • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 6:32 AM (permalink)



                                                I will take canned beans and doctor them up with the right ingredients. I will do that when I am lazy.
                                                I am a Frankanbeans monster. I try to use soft cheap dogs for the Beenie-Weenie texture, but I think that I need to go to those potted canned sausages.

                                                I love lima beans and I too bemoan their disappearence from today's menus.
                                                As it is, I enjoy many beans in many styles from many nations. Are there any bean dishes in Asian cooking, beyond red bean paste?

                                                mark
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  iqdiva

                                                  • Total Posts: 1491
                                                  • Joined: 7/16/2002
                                                  • Location: Dothan,Alabama,
                                                  RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 6:57 AM (permalink)
                                                  My favorite...fresh summer butterbeans cooked with fresh pork back bone and a few pods of fresh okra added during the cooking...Heaven!
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    doggydaddy

                                                    • Total Posts: 1847
                                                    • Joined: 6/11/2006
                                                    • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                    RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 7:06 AM (permalink)
                                                    ==Having said that, I love all beans, even human beans!====

                                                    And we all know that they are best served with ...drumroll please... Fava beans...


                                                    mark
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      dickestep

                                                      • Total Posts: 533
                                                      • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                                      • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                                      RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 7:17 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by doggydaddy


                                                      I will take canned beans and doctor them up with the right ingredients. I will do that when I am lazy.
                                                      I am a Frankanbeans monster. I try to use soft cheap dogs for the Beenie-Weenie texture, but I think that I need to go to those potted canned sausages.
                                                      I love lima beans and I too bemoan their disappearence from today's menus.
                                                      As it is, I enjoy many beans in many styles from many nations. Are there any bean dishes in Asian cooking, beyond red bean paste?
                                                      mark
                                                      Mark, I can't recall ever using canned weenies in beans, but I've added the store bought ones many times when the kids were at home. They never seemed to complain.
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        dickestep

                                                        • Total Posts: 533
                                                        • Joined: 3/11/2007
                                                        • Location: Bacliff, TX
                                                        RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 7:26 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by iqdiva

                                                        My favorite...fresh summer butterbeans cooked with fresh pork back bone and a few pods of fresh okra added during the cooking...Heaven!

                                                        Hoo! Many's the time I added fresh okra to a pot, but it was usually to a pot of of black eyed peas. I like it in peas or gumbo just shy of getting slimey, but can eat a big bowl of it boiled over cornbread. A note, I usually fry my okra in oil a few minutes before adding it to gumbo. This could be done for beans, too, if anyone objects to its slimy properties.
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          rebeltruce

                                                          • Total Posts: 698
                                                          • Joined: 9/8/2006
                                                          • Location: Culpeper, VA
                                                          RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                          My vote is for Pinto's....but I like em all.

                                                          I really like true Boston baked Beans, with that bread made in a can. I can't remember the name of the bread.....maybe Boston Brown Bread or something like that. Durgin Park in Boston makes a baked bean to die for.

                                                          A pot of Cowboy Beans with a few flour tortillas, though and I'm in heaven! Of course a few Beano tablets before indulging is a must for me!!!....LOL!
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            RubyRose

                                                            • Total Posts: 2187
                                                            • Joined: 5/7/2003
                                                            • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
                                                            RE: Favorite Beans? Wed, 03/28/07 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                                            Marrow beans are my favorite bean variety, especially for bean soup. They're getting harder to find every year though.

                                                            I make a lot of dishes with dried beans, including ones baked in a sauce with nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice that my grandmother called "Farm Boy Beans" because it was the family recipe of an old boyfriend.

                                                            For canned prepared beans, Bush with onions is my choice. I remember first tasting Bush brand beans in Florida and thought they were great compared to Campbell's, which was the dominant brand in PA at the time. I wrote to the company to ask if and when they were expanding into the Northeast (within 2 years was their answer) and I was delighted when they did.

                                                            The Ritz BBQ in Allentown PA makes the best "from scratch" baked beans. You can see them in this picture from a visit there.

                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 75

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com