Hot!Favorite Discontinued Sodas

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
citizenconn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/23 17:48:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

I'm basically a Dr. Pepper man of choice.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Fieldthistle,
Do you prefer the pure cane sugar DPs in glass bottles? Are those available where you are?
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/28 02:50:33 (permalink)
Fanta has pineapple soda

Frostie Root Beer is at Sams a lot of the time

Nehi is in Florida in tons of flavors .. usually at the convenience stores in poor neighborhoods

Izze makes Apple soda
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6454
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/28 14:47:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Twyla

YES to the "old" Coke burn! And in the original glass bottle, if you pleasm.

In some parts of Europe they call Diet Coke "Coke Light".

I'm a Pibb fan, from way back. It's getting really hard to find, here in the south...

I have a german bottle of coke light sitting on my display shelf here in the office.

Along with a diet pepsi from thailand, and a diet pepsi from germany

I used to love mr pibb, lots more than dr pepper
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6454
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/28 14:52:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Fried

quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

Tropicana Diet Orange Soda, this one came out for a short time last year, the stores around here could never keep it in stock, and then it went POOF.
I called the customer service number and was told it wasn't selling so they pulled it off the market. BAH HUMBUG!!!

Cajunking, are you talking about Tropicana SugarFree Orange Ade which comes in a can? I still drink this all the time, but it has no caffeine and is non-carbonated.

I used to like Diet Slice Mandarin Orange soda. When it first came out, it had 10% real orange juice and was great. Then as usual they changed the formula and messed up a great product and it went away.

Then I switched to Diet Orange Crush and it was discontinued. But I am happy now with both diet Sunkist orange soda and Tropicana SugarFree Orange Ade.

Sorry i didnt see your response earlier

Tropicana this spring came out with a diet orange soda, just like the sunkist and crush, it had 10 % real juice too, tasted awesome.

But they stopped making it

I have tried the tropicana sugarfree orange ade, it is ok
Doatsie82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/28 16:50:37 (permalink)
Back in the 60's and 70's in NE Jersey we had one of those regional sodas where you'd buy it by the case in quart size (returnable) bottles. The brand was Brookdale and they had every flavor you could want from Sarsaparilla to Diet Lime (not lemon/lime but just lime)! I really miss those.
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/28 17:06:17 (permalink)
my favorite soda in not sold here and if i want it bad enough, i have to cross the arizona border..
diet canada dry ginger ale.they carried it for a time in santa fe but wanted $5.59 for a six pack.
no other ginger ale tastes the same.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/29 09:52:14 (permalink)
Hello All,
Cajunking, my heart sank when you said you liked mr. pibb more than Dr. Pepper.
I remember and loved the old orange aide. Haven't seen it in years and years and years.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/29 10:07:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
I just remembered one I loved, an orange drink called Tru-Aid. It
was similiar to Orange Crush, but not having as strong of an orange taste.

It was also uncarbonated, which suited my (then) young tastebuds just fine. They also made a grape Tru-Aid which I also loved. Ah, the good ol' days....
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/29 11:00:51 (permalink)
I remember a soda (or maybe a mixer?) from the mid-1960's called Gusto. It was made by Royal Crown (RC Cola), but I've not been able to uncover any references to it anywhere. Anybody else ever heard of it? Possbily a test market product that never made it to the market? I had it at a friends house whose father worked for RC.

Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/09/29 11:39:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Doatsie82

Back in the 60's and 70's in NE Jersey we had one of those regional sodas where you'd buy it by the case in quart size (returnable) bottles. The brand was Brookdale and they had every flavor you could want from Sarsaparilla to Diet Lime (not lemon/lime but just lime)! I really miss those.

I remember those--they were in wooden, then plastic crates. I also remember a brand called Peterson's. In Jersey City, where I gre up, we had a similar brand, called "Hudson Rock Beverages". The soda truck would come to your house once every week or so. Take the old bottles & crate & give you a new full crate of whatever you wanted. Some great flavors. HR also had a lime soda (it was green).

Good stuff!
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/04 14:08:52 (permalink)
Does Funny Face count? Not quite soda--it was a Kool-Aid lookalike.
I liked it better than Kool Aid
syrup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/04 14:40:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Eric B

How about Crystal Clear Pepsi!

I remember Crystal Pepsi from around 1993 when I worked in a grocery store. It kind of tasted like Seven Up. SNL did a parody of the whole clear trend with Crystal Gravy.

Does anyone remember a regional Root Beer called On Tap?
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/04 15:15:09 (permalink)
It's discontinued but I used to like a soda called Aspen. It was a clear, apple tasting soda with lots of fizz. It believe Pepsi made it.
KAYLINDA
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/04 22:22:26 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a soda called something like "parmac" ? My husband says it was the exact color of beer...even foamed like beer...but he's not exactly sure of the name. Thanks!
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/04 23:58:51 (permalink)
I'm thinking you are talking about "Pomac",a pomegranate soda.As I recall it had a minute alcohol content.I only ever saw one bottle of it back in the mid-60s.To save my soul I dont remember what it tasted like but I figure pomegranate would make a pretty good drink-minus the seeds of course.

jasonchicago
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/05 00:14:45 (permalink)
A few of my old favorites:

I miss Razcal soda: A Raspberry-Lime concotion from the eighties with the tagline:"Nobody famous drinks it".

I also liked in the late 80s early 90s when Coke came out with Minute Maid Lemon Lime Soda. It had a small amount of fruit juice in it to compete with Pepsi's Slice...which when it first came out also had fruit juice as an ingredient.

I also liked the old Snapple sodas, such as Cherry Lime Rickey. I think that these are long gone.

Does anyone know if Old Tyme sodas still exist. I used to buy them at Wegmans' in the mid to late eighties. They made a great ginger beer and another good cherry lime rickey.
Joannabar
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/05 00:23:45 (permalink)
If you grew up in NJ during the 1950's and '60's (and of course before that), you remember Hoffman's sodas. My favorite was the chocolate cream soda, which was probably responsible for the cavities in every one of my teeth. The Newark NJ Hoffman's soda plant became a Pabst brewery, which then went out of business a number of years later. The water tower was a giant soda bottle, which,sad to say, was taken down a couple of months ago after 76 years on the same pedestal.
Oh, do I miss that chocolate cream, totally sugared soda...and the giant bottle.

PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/21 21:22:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by frogger67

Does Funny Face count? Not quite soda--it was a Kool-Aid lookalike.
I liked it better than Kool Aid

I used to love Goofy Grape.... yes it was better than the K brand
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/21 23:40:46 (permalink)
First, I wish they would bring back glass bottles. I hate the plastic ones. They take forever to get cold and then warm right up. They use to have a local brand in the southern tier of ny called Fawn. All their flavors were great but especially the orange actually contained orange pulp.
essemjay58
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/22 01:39:27 (permalink)
In Minneapolis/ St. Paul we can't get Orange Crush. They say they can't get someone to bottle it here. We have to go to the outer ring suburbs to get it. Does that make any sense?
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/22 18:55:51 (permalink)
I really liked the chocolate sodas... remember Kayo or Mays Chocolate..... I believe I still remember Dutch brands having one also....

Now all I see are Yahoo and Chocolate soldier... a far cry from the thick ones from the 60's
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/22 19:00:01 (permalink)
No question, Kroger Big K Diet Cola. It's my beverage of choice over the name brands.
ctchank
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/22 19:20:56 (permalink)
Back in the day I loved Jolt Cola - twice the sugar - twice the caffeine

The one available today just isn't the same.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/23 11:43:15 (permalink)
In Alaska and i think in Maryland in the 70s you could by White Rock soda,which had a fairy on a rock looking into the water.They may still make it,but it's not sold here in South Texas.Here you can buy the mexican coca-cola aslweel as sodas made in Mexico.Even have seen some mexican ice creams here as well.
beth moffett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/23 12:01:07 (permalink)
Barq's used to make an amber colored Creme Soda that was wonderful. Sometimes you can find a vanilla Creme Soda or red Creme Soda. However, they are nowhere close to the original. Also New York Seltzer made a peach seltzer that I loved--can't find it either!
Rowsdower98
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/26 12:43:43 (permalink)
Nitro Cola, it kind of tasted like a cross between Jolt and Ale8-1. Ale8-1, a local Kentucky brand, recently revived NuGrape, which is the best grape soda I've ever had. I remember liking Josta.

The taste of the first Sprite remix can easily be recreated by mixing 1 part regular Sprite with 1 part blue Powerade. Figured that one out when I worked at McDonald's in high school.
BEricB
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/29 12:15:04 (permalink)
My one experience with Hoffman's sodas came when I worked one summer in a gas station in New York that my father briefly owned; the vanilla cream soda was the best I've had outside of Dr. Brown's. Although I'm loath to endorse anything with the dreaded "natural and artifical flavors" at its core, I do miss both Crystal Pepsi (I didn't think it was much like 7Up - much closer to regular Pepsi without the coloring, which I think was probably the point, to see if they could sell the stuff without the half-cent-per-can investment in caramel color) and Pepsi Blue, which tasted pretty good although I suspect a lot of potential customers couldn't get past the kinda Gothic graphics. And for the person who asked - Nehi is fairly readily available here in Louisville, usually by the bottle in larger convenience stores, usually orange, peach and occasionally grape, although these days my waistline usually dictates its cousin Diet Rite, or Fresca.

I miss glass bottles too, but goodbye to those days. None of the big players are going to ever go back to the days of maintaining washing facilities, absorbing breakage costs, product liability from broken bottles (think small children and car tires), etc. etc. etc., and we wouldn't pay what it would cost anyway.

I was digging around www.popsoda.com last night, which is what prompted me to start reading this thread in the first place, and was surprised to discover how many of the European fruit-flavored brands still have substantial (in most cases, around 25%) amounts of fruit juice in the formula. Reminds me of when Hawaiian Punch actually was fruit punch, galvanized steel can and all, instead of sugar water.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/30 13:04:01 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood, Eric. Nice to have another representative from Kentuciana aboard.

I found some 24 oz SHASTA- Cola, Root Beer, Orange and Creme Soda (2 for $1.00) in the 'generic' soda case at the Thriftway Market in Georgetown, Indiana (with the Fanta and Cheerwine) They had two liters of Canada Dry Cranberry-Ginger Ale at 79 cents...getting a headstart on the seaon I guess.

JC Markets (owned by Kroger) carries Cheerwine in several sizes.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/30 13:59:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
Originally posted by Beer&Snausages

Here's a link to Galco's Soda Pop Shop in SoCal, they carry some hard to find Pop's and they ship via UPS.

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

Carrying favorite's like Nesbitt's Strawberry, Original Recipe Dr. Pepper, Moxie, Cane Sugar Coca-Cola and more. Also hard to find Birch Beers, Egg Cremes and others like Henry Weinhard, TommyKnocker Creme Sodas.

Ahhhhh, the have Nehi peach!

You said it, brother! Nehi Peach over Borden's Peach ice cream in the middle of a Louisiana August!
Jadey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2006/10/31 22:08:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wander

Original New York Seltzer black cherry, and their root beer. Came in little 10 oz. glass bottles and was the best thing on a hot summer's day.

I got addicted to the cream soda while in college and have never been able to find it since. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it.

Also, when I was a kid my mom always let me get a Nesbitt's blue creme soda after bowling on Saturday mornings. I was never much of a bowler but I stayed in that league for a couple of years because I associated that pop with it.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1