Hot!Favorite Discontinued Sodas

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/18 22:47:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rjb
I remember a soda (or maybe a mixer?) from the mid-1960's called Gusto. It was made by Royal Crown (RC Cola), but I've not been able to uncover any references to it anywhere. Anybody else ever heard of it? Possbily a test market product that never made it to the market? I had it at a friends house whose father worked for RC.

RJB,
Gusto was a Schlitz product, wasn't it?
No, seriously, folks -- that one zoomed past me. It probably was a test-market item, along the lines of a beer I remember -- Tribute Light Beer, sold in the Chapel Hill area in the earlier 1980's and made by Schlitz in their Winston-Salem plant. There was also one named Clipper, "the light dark beer," that Miller made in its Eden, N. C. brewery... I found that in Hickory, N. C. in 1983.
Good luck finding information on Gusto.
Mixing And Matching, Ort. Carlton in Chilly Athens, GA.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/18 22:52:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KAYLINDA
Does anyone remember a soda called something like "parmac" ? My husband says it was the exact color of beer...even foamed like beer...but he's not exactly sure of the name. Thanks!

Kaylinda,
You might be thinking of Chelsea, the short-lived beverage by Coca-Cola that contained 0.5% alcohol (or less). I found it in a Ukrop's Supermarket in Richmond, Virginia in 1979... and that's the ultimate irony, because Ukrop's won't sell alcohol nor open on Sundays to this day!
I really liked Chelsea, but apparently I was one of the few. (I also liked Champale -- especially the Golden Champale version -- when it was made in Trenton, N. J. Go figure.)
Wishing You Could Indeed Call Me Down To Chelsea (And Wishing I Had That 45 By Robin Grean), Ort. Carlton in Eclectic Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/18 23:06:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by curried bluebonnet
What about Hires rootbeer? Is that still around anywhere?

Curried,
It was in my local Kroger as recently as last week.
It's so much fun (when I have time!) wandering down the soft drink aisles in stores to see which products are attempting to squeeze which others off the shelf... could we say this is Pop Culture at its ultimate?
Deposited Here And (Maybe) Returning Tomorrow, Ort. Carlton in the U. Ga. Library in Athens, GA.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/18 23:10:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio
I can't say I really have any favorite discontinued sodas, but I get a lot of sidways looks when I put a handful of peanuts in my bottle of sodapop.

Sonny,
That's commonly seen here in Georgia. But I was once told about a woman in Oglethorpe County, Georgia who put a handful of ASPIRINS in her Coca-Colas (6-oz. bottles, mind you). Somehow I can't help but wonder what the effect would be... she was about 80 years old, by the way, and reportedly had "been doin' that for years," according to secondhand information.
Amazing.
I'll bet her stomach resembled nothing more than a loofa sponge....
Entrally Level, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/18 23:19:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by yuppicide
I don't drink soda, because of the acid in it. Makes me wanna hurl. However, I do wish the "Skeleteens" line of sodas would come back to my area. The arcade near me carried them. From Dusk 'Til Dawn, Black Lemonade, Brainwash, etc. The company got ressurected and I find them online.
Brainwash came in 3 colors: blue, green, and red. They had so much food coloring in them that as soon as I poured it into the sink I had to scrub to get it off! It instantly adhered to the sink. It also turned your poo colors.

Yuppicide,
Gracious, I loved that stuff! I used to drink all those (one at a time, pleaze!) in a particular now-defunct bar here in Athens (they carried all flavors) when I was tired of drinking Blind Man Espresso Stout or Blind Man India Brown Ale on tap for $2 a pint.
Sad to say, both of those Blind Man products are gone (as well as lo these many sodas, which is what the topic is!), and their flagship Blind Man Ale (an I. P. A. with about 90 I. B. U.) as well. Maybe I'll win the lottery and resurrect the company, using real brewing equipment for a change instead of the amazing array of Rube-Goldberg-esque adapted rubble they used.
By the way, I drank four bottles of Skeleteens' black soda the night before a routine checkup. My doctor was... ahem... alarmed when he noted the color of the urine sample he asked for... thank God he can take a joke!
In The Pee-k Of Health, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
ShenB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/20 16:01:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Does anybody remember the Mission brand of soft drinks? I used to get Mission grape or orange soda from a machine on the way home from grade school in Cincinnati. I also remember another brand of orange soda that featured a picture of a horse with a garland of flowers. Can't remember the name of that one, so if anyone else knows, I'd be grateful.

I remember Mission from the 60s here in West Michigan. Orange, Grape and a Lemon-Lime too that was not clear but was light green. All were very good. Also at the same time my all-time favorites was a brand called O'So in 16oz bottles were orange, grape rootbeer & strawberry
HansK
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/22 03:42:16 (permalink)
Does anyone remember Orbitz? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbitz_(soft_drink) It was short lived, possibly because I was the only one to drink it, but it was a non-carbonated drink with floating balls in it. Very eye catching. Also, I haven't been able to find regualr Pepsi with Lemon but recently had a Pepsi Max with lemon in northern europe which was quite good.
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/22 10:50:02 (permalink)
Ewwww Orbitz was scary .. pretty to look at .. but no way was I drinking floaties *shudders*
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/27 09:56:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ShenB

I remember Mission from the 60s here in West Michigan. Orange, Grape and a Lemon-Lime too that was not clear but was light green. All were very good. Also at the same time my all-time favorites was a brand called O'So in 16oz bottles were orange, grape rootbeer & strawberry

Thanks, Shen. I had no idea you could buy Mission in Michigan. I thought it might be a local (Cincinnati area) brand. I loved the orange. I have no idea when it stopped being manufactured. Have never heard of O'So.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/27 16:57:46 (permalink)
Mission Orange was a big one in SoCal in the 50's when I lived there. I didn't know it was also available in other parts of the country!!
Arcayne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/28 21:34:16 (permalink)
I loved Snapple All natural sodas and drank them long before I ever hear of the iced tea. It was the best orange soda I ever had, and it was clear. THey don't make it anymore, I fear:)
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/29 20:01:57 (permalink)
Never cared for Snapple. (1) They had no nutritional value whatsoever. (2) Rush Limbaugh was a big investor and I didn not want to give a single penny to that lying pig.

I tried ORBITZ once or twice. The floaties were little balls of gelatin. Weird experience, not worth the cost per bottle.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/29 21:13:42 (permalink)
The Snapple Peach Tea was pretty good, but the WalMart Rip-off copy was just as good at a fraction of the price. I think I could chug one of those 16oz wide-mouths in about 2 seconds when riding out on the Mojave in the early 90's. They really did a good job at re-hydrating a person.
Arcayne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/01/30 07:41:55 (permalink)
I used to get a large bottle of Snapple iced tea with lemon for long car trips, that and a bag of wintergreen lifesavers:)
rtanner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/02/01 23:54:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
My most-lamented favorite would have to be Budwine, the elixir of the gods, made by Classic City Bottling Co. in Athens, Georgia. They also produced -- before my time -- a beverage for 3 cents named, appropriately enough, "3 Centa"!!
My cousin Dave E. Hendricks, from Ohio, would open a bottle of Budwine and shout "Smell the Budwine fumes!" when he was visiting.
Another soda I recollect liking but that disappeared was Canada Dry's short-lived Cactus Cooler. I first found that in suburban Atlanta -- Chamblee, as I recollect -- in 1967. It was history by the early 1970's.
Y'know, I really ought to wander by the Atlanta Canada Dry Bottling Plant on Murphy Avenue, S/W and see if anyone remembers Cactus Cooler.
Gotta go -- the library's closing.
Carbonatedly, Ort. Carlton in Effervescent Athens, Georgia.

You can still get cactus cooler. It's hard to find except in LA/Orange County area or Nevada. It is bottled by Dr. Pepper Co. now; you can buy it on the internet for the hefty price of about 22.00 per 12pk including shipping.
gwynnen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/05 12:04:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hode

Anyone remember a grape soda called Purple Passion . I remember the can being very colorful and what kid did not like turning thier tongue purple.

Not only Purple Passion, but Cactus Cooler and Tahitian Treat. Out of the 3 the only one you can't get anymore is Purple Passion. Also what about Bubble Up?

I wish I could even find a picture of a Purple Passion can.
leejeff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/13 10:29:05 (permalink)
You can still find Tahitian Treat. You have to go into the poorer neighborbood stores. I loved Mission Pinapple soda. Mission Pineapple soda and a bag of Valley Maid Potatoe chips and that was heaven. On anther note anyone else remember Valley Maid potatote chips or Treat Potatoe chips
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/14 08:21:18 (permalink)
I can't find around here White Rock soda,though we used to buy it in Alaska back in the 1960s when my dad was stationed at Elmendorf AFB.
Haven't seen OK Cola which was made by Coke around here,though I had it once or twice when I bought it at a convience store in New Braunfels.I remember SURGE.I have also seen Cactus Cola around here,so I'll have to try it.Don't see Snapple for sale like you used to around here either.At H.E.B.Grocery Stores you can buy it in like a big pack of about I guess six to twelve bottles,the ice tea that is.You can also buy a few single bottles of the tea,but Snapple really isn't around much in the San Antonio area like it used to be.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/14 21:27:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gwynnen

[ Also what about Bubble Up?

Bubble Up is still around. You can find it on several online soda stores in glass bottles. A bottler in New Castle, Pa also bottles in plastic. The few times I bought it , it was flat.
A google search for Purple Passion Soda brings up a picture of a bottle cap. It would be the sixth search down starting with the wrod "etsy".
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/14 22:05:41 (permalink)
Ski
Bubble-Up
Upper-10

I fondly remember - Champale and Country Club
I didn't read all the 'above' messages - please forgive me if I'm redundant.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/14 22:41:19 (permalink)

Bubble Up was the first soda in our area to appear in the tall 16oz glass bottles. This must have been the mid 1950's. My choice of soda at the time was based on VOLUME, rather than brand or flavor. One of the "off-brand" colas followed Bubble Up then by 1960 we could get the Pepsi in the same tall bottle. Coke was slow at bottling in those deposit bottles then. I don't remember when the first of the 16oz Cokes came out.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6474
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/15 15:27:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gwynnen

quote:

Anyone remember a grape soda called Purple Passion . I remember the can being very colorful and what kid did not like turning thier tongue purple.

Not only Purple Passion, but Cactus Cooler and Tahitian Treat. Out of the 3 the only one you can't get anymore is Purple Passion. Also what about Bubble Up?

We have a company here in the area called pri pak they bottle and can drinks of all sorts.

They bottle "Purple Passion" although I doubt it is the one you remember though, this one is by everclear grain alcohol.

trayguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/03/17 21:11:51 (permalink)
Riku there are several soft drinks that aren't made anymore I liked. Mission Sodas had a creme soda that was to die for. Then there was TOPP COLA first cola bottle in a 16 os. bottle. If I knew how to make them I would bring them back.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/18 00:23:18 (permalink)
Fanta Red Cream!!! They don't make it anymore, but they have the same fruit flavors that Welch's has. The laundromat in the apartment complex where we lived when I was starting high school had a vending machine that carried it. I remember me & my girlfriends going to do the laundry for my mom & drinking it while we waited to switch loads.

We loved Pepsi Light back in the 80's, it had the turquoise can with the lemon on it. I had thought it was a figment of my imagination until one night when I was watching Mr Mom, it's on the table when Michael Keaton is playing coupon poker with the other 'moms'.

Whoever was asking about Bitter Lemon, they still make it. I had some last year.

I also miss the ORIGINAL Snapple, not the tea & lemonade & fruity non-carbonated flavors. I miss the clear carbonated stuff.

Also miss New York Seltzer & Zeltzer Seltzer. They came out around the same time. Their flavors were more adventurous than my LaCroix I drink now.

GNC used to sell a raspberry soda. I can't remember the name. This was back in the 80's & was a real treat.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/21 18:56:54 (permalink)
I can't remember the brand name but when I was a kid our local A&P (wood floors, big ceiling fans) carried a coco-cream soda. I remember it being great for ice cream sodas.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/21 19:57:11 (permalink)
Since this topic has bounced back to life (and I am worn out now, I read all 6 pages...), I have a query.

Since Snapple is on this list I think this is fair game. It's a "natural" kind of soda, and was the precursor to things like Nantucket Nectars. I remember it before Snapple (but maybe Snapple came late to CA)...

KOALA does anyone remember this? It must have been local-ish to California, because I think it was not available in New England (this is the mid-80s).

I had a favorite flavour, orange & passion-fruit, and NO ONE does that the same way Koala did. Not even close. There are close orange-mangoes to theirs, but not the passion fruit.

Also I concur that Fresca still tastes the same and is my favorite "true" soda pop (i.e. not water/juice). I miss it terribly in England, where most sodas taste different & Coke doesn't do Fresca. Can't wait to get back home to Fresca.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/21 20:09:41 (permalink)
If the Koala stuff has a black currant flavor, then yes I remember that drink. It came out when everything Australian was cool.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/21 20:12:05 (permalink)
I think Koala did have some berry-like darker stuff too...
where did you buy it? (I mean what state are you in?)
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/22 14:53:15 (permalink)
I tried Orbitz once,didn't care for it though I think I still see it around here.I used to like Snapple when they had the ads with the Snapple Lady,could find it around here,but now the various flavours are scarce.There is also Jolt Cola,which I think is made by Coca-Cola.Here you can buy Mexican Coke.It comes in bottles
and I think it uses real sugar not corn syrup.We can also buy here Goya Soda and another brand from Mexico.You can get Guava soda.Haven't bought a bottle but I sure want to try it.
madrilenos65
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas 2007/06/26 01:51:45 (permalink)
a lot of people think Nehi Peach is discontinued. is it? The Walgreens down the street from me used to sell it. that stuff was heavenly! :D
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1