Favorite Dog

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/29 17:06:49 (permalink)
All of my dogs have been rescue dogs. My next dog will be a "washout" from a "service dog" training program since they too deserve a good home.
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/29 19:06:20 (permalink)
I am very impressed. I didn't think this thread would go anywhere because off-topic never hits the home page.

What wonderful dog stories and the pictures are priceless.

Of course I am also very fond of cats and agree there should be a cat thread as well. Come to think of it, I have had more cats in my life than dogs. Simply watching a cat is watching a deadly sort of poetry in motion. They never fail to fascinate me.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/29 19:15:43 (permalink)
Greyghost,
No Suprises ... I think Dog-Owners are always ready to talk about their pets.
Sheesch, ask me about my grandkids and see what happens !!

CSD-

Our Demi is a rescue dog. We got her from a rescue shelter near Kansas City...found it on-line. She was 5 months old when we got her. She spent three months in a darkened Barn in a small cage. When we first got her she was a pretty flakey little dog, but she took to us and especially to McDuff very quickly. Now she is the flighty princess that rules everything! She has been a good addition to the family.
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/30 11:20:50 (permalink)
For Breed intelligence and usefullness and loyalty, I'll take my german shepherd, Malachai. I've already posted pics of him here.
My nextdoor neighbor was broken into. Nuff said, right?
He guards us like his life depended on it, and he's the bestest friend ever. We love him.
My other dog's a shelter mutt, and he's equally loved, but he's old and fading now.. Poor guy.
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/30 19:48:13 (permalink)
We had an adopted greyhound when we lived in Frederick, MD. Her name was Maggie May and she was just a wonderful dog. She grinned at everyone who came to the door which absolutely terrified the UPS man. Now we have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel (Harley Joe Jim Bob) and a Shih Tzu (Lola Magnolia.) Harley and Lola are lots of company for me since I retired. They both sleep with us now that Lola is house trained, and we will soon need a king size bed.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/30 20:49:25 (permalink)
Thanks to a fellowroadie, and his captioning skills, my dog now likes Martini's....
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/05 19:37:59 (permalink)
Hey! What are people doing bragging about dogs with out me! The first photo is Sir. Ozzy of Dazzling Darby. This guy was the best, I mean never caused me any grief, always kept close. Terrible day when I had to put him down do to cancer, I wasn't about to put him through a bunch of medical stuff. I lasted 9 months of being miserable before I broke down and bought Wesley (second photo) the complete opposite of Ozzy....hah, but we like him too!

And then there was my brother first English Bull dog - what a fellow.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/06 16:38:45 (permalink)
Those aren't dogs! They're something.....much larger (my dog weighs 40 lbs).
Burgermeister
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/06 23:32:14 (permalink)

French Bulldog
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/07 12:16:54 (permalink)
How cute.. Looks like a Christmas gift..
The author, Jonathon Kellerman had a French Bulldog as he and his girlfriends sidekick in many of his novels....
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/07 13:24:17 (permalink)
My best buddy is Emperor Max of Somerset (naturally we just call him Max), a Yellow Labrador Retriever who looks very much like Chicago Style Dog's Yellow Lab.

Max will be 3 years old in a couple of weeks, and as is typical of Labs, he is just now starting to grow out of his puppy behavior stage. For those who are not familiar with this breed, they seem to stay like goofy little pups in terms of their behavior for far longer than most breeds. When he was just a few months old, Max actually destroyed the window sill and two door frame moldings in his room (the mud room). Since maturing a bit, he has learned to control that excessive desire to chew everything, and just chews on what I give him.

Despite his earlier behaviors, Max is the joy of my life, and it hurts me to have to leave him in the morning when I go to work. Luckily, a friend of mine comes over during the day to exercise Max and to play with him. When I get home, I give him another good workout in the backyard, and then he is ready to lounge around the family room with me for the rest of the night. Max is just the best dog that I could wish for.
acornlover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/08 16:10:48 (permalink)
We just put our 15 yo border colllie/black lab to sleep, I put that off too, my husband is the best guy in the world to take her to the vet, I just could not do it and she really was ready. She always hung around, never wandered,kept the yard free of critters but was afraid of thunderstorms!
But then we have our crazy/ dog, Reilly the Jack Russell Terrier wanna be, I think she has some Corgi in her, but her energy and personality are all Jack Russell. She supposedly is my son's dog, hee hee we all realy know who she belongs to. " /> The second I sit anywhere she is in my lap and loves to sleep under the covers- only in winter. One of the best investments I have ever made though is an invisible fence because she bolts and is not too reliable about coming back, she "respects the flags" and has not excaped in the last year, I keep the collar on her though, she needs reminding. If I knew how to post a picture, I have some cute ones
Cheers
KB
Pwingsx
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/09 14:41:01 (permalink)
Sympathy to you acorn, for your loss.

We had a collie who was terrified of thunderstorms. I remember once I decided I was going to break her of this fear, so I kept her outside on the back porch with me during a storm. The poor dog was so traumatized that she peed on my feet trying to get into the house. I realized then how cruel I was being, and I never tried again to break her of what was obviously a phobia, not a 'habit.'

My next dog was a border collie-lab mix and she LOVED thunder. Would run up and down barking at it in sheer delirious delight.

My corgi is afraid of thunder. He starts shaking and goes 'underground' even before we hear the thunder ourselves.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/09 17:44:49 (permalink)
Doberman. I've had 3 female red Doberman rescue dogs since 1988. Just lost Missy to liver failure on the 24th. This is something that doesn't get any easier each time I have to do it.

Enough said.
Pwingsx
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/10 15:14:41 (permalink)
Losing a dog (any pet) is a terrible thing. Being the one responsible to make the decision to do it deliberately is one of the most heart-breaking on the human scale. Being there at the moment of goodbye is breathtakingly brave and beautiful and sheer agony. Sympathy to all those who travel that dark road.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/12 15:48:25 (permalink)
We've always had German Shepherds, and we lost our first one, Wotan, to hemangiosarcoma which is apparently prevalent in large breeds. We adopted our new German Shepherd from a rescue in Frankfort, KY, and his name is Wulf and he's wonderful.
He has to share the home with our Military Macaw "Kalik", who is always yelling out commands and has a bossy voice and the Shepherd is entirely intimidated by the Macaw.
Yes, and rescues are great. One of my horses also comes from a rescue.

Andrea
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/12 18:57:37 (permalink)
my dogs are like the movie twins with arnold and danny devito, a 15 ounce toy teacup chihauha name al capone and a 177 lb. fila brasilio mastif named nala, beleive it or not they do everything together and the best of friends
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/13 00:31:22 (permalink)
2 of my dogs are rescues and one is papered.

Macy Mae is a chow/australian shepherd mix, long silky black hair, sweetest little lady. She was rescued by a wonderful woman who saved her after she'd been shot as a puppy and I got her from her. She's getting on up there now. She's helpd most of my kids learn to walk by letting them use her as a pull up toy. Loves to talk to you and gives great kisses. She herds everybody and is Alpha. My heart will prolly break when she goes.

Sinatra is a solid white, blue eyed boxer I rescued because the breeder was going to drown him. Most white boxers are deaf and he's no exception. The biggest clown you've ever seen! Thinks he's a lap dog. Likes green beans and kittens, hates the rain and sharing pillows, is scared spitless of Macy Mae.

Then we have Butchie. A wee little Boston Terror..uh Terrier. He's very much the baby as he's hyper and demands attention from everyone. He was 'gifted' to me via my father who was ill, but gets to visit him often. He's not afraid of Macy Mae...yet. Give him time, he's young and stupid lol

We had a basset hound when I was growing up. Mama and Daddy got him 6 weeks before I was born and he died the summer I turned 17. He was my best secret sharer. He loved babies and to sleep on my legs. His name was Mr. Mr. Only because I couldn't say Mr. Magoo. Mr. Mr. is still missed.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/04/13 10:16:13 (permalink)
We don't have thunder in New Jersey anymore. Guess it got cost prohibitive.
The Bear
acornlover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/05/28 08:44:25 (permalink)

Here is Reilly!
quote:
Originally posted by acornlover

We just put our 15 yo border colllie/black lab to sleep, I put that off too, my husband is the best guy in the world to take her to the vet, I just could not do it and she really was ready. She always hung around, never wandered,kept the yard free of critters but was afraid of thunderstorms!
But then we have our crazy/ dog, Reilly the Jack Russell Terrier wanna be, I think she has some Corgi in her, but her energy and personality are all Jack Russell. She supposedly is my son's dog, hee hee we all realy know who she belongs to. " /> The second I sit anywhere she is in my lap and loves to sleep under the covers- only in winter. One of the best investments I have ever made though is an invisible fence because she bolts and is not too reliable about coming back, she "respects the flags" and has not excaped in the last year, I keep the collar on her though, she needs reminding. If I knew how to post a picture, I have some cute ones
Cheers
KB
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/05/28 08:51:37 (permalink)
I had a Pug named Boo. I loved him so very much. He slept in my lap, enjoyed cookies with me, rode in my car with me. He died several years ago. I was in a meeting in Minneapolis and my wife called me to inform me of his death. I had to stop the meeting for a while until I got myself together.

I still miss him. Isn't it strange that I had such a friendship with a dog? I miss you Boo.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/05/28 11:03:02 (permalink)
my fila mastif
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/05/28 13:43:43 (permalink)
Seeing how the other picture disappeared. Well, all I can see is the red x, I thought about my post on another thread regarding bottles--
Benjy should have another 15 minutes of fame.

Think he got pooped out from playing with his shark.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/05/28 16:14:04 (permalink)

OMG! Who could choose, they are all angels with wet noses and wagging tails!!!!!!!!

Here's my fav photo of "Too Pac". Named after the rapper. Taken by a hawk last summer in front of my eyes. RIP, Too-angel!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/copperslay3/snotoo.jpg

My "mostest" precious friend. "Tara" , the black Lab. Has the potential to take the jugular out of an agressive male who looks at me wrong, but can be trusted with an infant of any species iffen I speak the magic words, "This a baby, Tara.. UNBELIEVABLE! This is her new dog (every dog oughtta have a dog). His name is Pistol. A rescue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/copperslay3/pals.jpg

Of course Pistol is a year old now, and takes his job very seriously and rarely comes in the house. His mission-any bird or sqirrel who touches a foot on the ground will be CHASED. Quite vigorously and whole-heartedly I might add!

Here is a photo of the two of them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/copperslay3/ebay076.jpg

Copper

ernieson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Favorite Dog 2006/05/30 13:59:10 (permalink)
I am fond of beagle mixes. My childhood dog was a daushand/beagle and a smarter dog doesn't exist.

I currently have a beagle/rat terrier and a beagle/boxer, who I love very much.

But THE dog of my life was a Beagle/chihuhua named Abby - she had the soul of the devil, but I loved that dog. She got me through a dificult adolescence,a college degree and part way through grad school. I could never had done it without her!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1