Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2006/03/25 21:18:27 (permalink)

Favorite Dog

Favorite Dog

Since this is off topic this thread is about real authentic tail wagging barking dogs. Not hot dogs.

What is your favorite dog and why?

What is my favorite dog? I have a particular fondness for the Airedale.

http://www.kennels.co.uk/Terrier/Airedale.html

No need to go on about it, the link provides all the relevant information about the breed. What's not to like?

54 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/25 22:07:44 (permalink)
    My little doodlebug is a Yorkie.
    He was my mom's dog and I took care of her for 7 years before she passed away, so Benjy came with the house, per se.. We have a very strong bond. He has mellowed out in his old age: He is almost 12, and as mentioned before, has arthrits, (he gets doggie Advil in his food), and not many teeth, but sure can eat those rib bones!
    I am Auntie Tara, though, not "mommy", and he knows the difference.
    Extremely smart little guy, weighs 6 pounds and he sneezes and smiles if you ask him.
    I think there is a picture of him on the RIB thread.
    I grew up with poodles-we had 3, and have owned an Afghan Hound. I bless the day he was stolen. (sad, but true).. He was the most stupid dog I ever had. But I did love him!
    One little story about him.-Rashad was his name....
    Mom had baked a HUGE ham and had it sitting on the counter to cool off, and she had fallen alseep, before putting it away and the Afghan stole that ham right off the counter, and when I came home, he was in the living room, eating that damned ham.....
    Oh... was I in trouble.....!!!
    I love dogs!
    Ok... I had to get his Christmas picture on here. Just to let you know, the bow was removed right after the pic was taken. No bows on my boy!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/25 23:51:00 (permalink)
    I like 'em all. But, I am partial to little terriers and toys. My Yorkie, who died two years ago, was the king of the Yorkies. He was 18 lbs., which is about what they weighed 100 years ago, I'm told...before they started breeding them down. I miss him. He was my eating pal. He really loved to eat. He especially loved tuna...also liver.

About dogs stealing food: When I was little, our German Shepard stole an entire turkey that was on a counter. She knew she was bad. Because when we got home, we first didn't even realize the turkey was gone. Rather, it seemed like she was missing.

Then we found her...hiding under my parents' bed, afraid of what restribution might be meted out. There were a few telltale bones lying around, and there was the guilty look on her face. Of course, she was pardoned. She was a good dog.
    The Bear

Kayleigh
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 00:09:51 (permalink)
    Our family dog was a Lhasa named Pepe. He used to nap in the sun in the middle of the street which drove us mad because curled up no one could tell what was there. When he got "clipped" he was like a long haired hippie who got a straight guys haircut and looked so cute. He got cataracts,went blind and old we miss him.
    Kay
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 00:37:23 (permalink)
    Pembroke Welsh Corgis rule. Especially the tri-colors (black, white and red all over).

Smart, smart dogs. Tough for their size, unwaveringly loyal, and utterly dependable. Get them into a routine and they are yours for life.

Duck-footed in front, pigeon-toed in back, no tails, so they smile to tell you they're happy.

God, I love my dog.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 03:06:38 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    When I was young we had little mutt dogs. They will always be in my heart.
    Now I have an akita, Amber, which is a larger dog. The best dog I've ever
    had the joy to share a spice of life with. Loyal and loving, and not selfish.
    The worst thing she expects is for me to go out on the front porch on cold
    mornings. After I lead her out, then she'll go and relieve herself.
    I also have a mixed lab. The mixed part of her is so strange that I can't
    figure it out. I am allergic to her and started out hating her. But fell
    in love with her when friends came over at 3am and she stayed by my feet and
    side when I moved around, always watching the "strangers" and occasionally
    lowly growling at them. I had told the dogs that these were friends, and the
    akita relaxed and played up to them. But Arwen, the mix, stayed by my side
    the whole time. It touched my heart and won me to her.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 06:06:37 (permalink)
    Beagles are probably my favorite as I had a few for pets and they were wonderful, but i've always wanted a Newfoundland. I never got one though. Our pet dog right now is a menace. He's a 9 month old part German Sheperd, part St. Bernard, and part Husky. He chews and eats anything. I've seen the dog chew on pieces of angle iron and other metals. He eats wood, dryer sheets, bolts from my dirtbike when I was working on it, tennis shoes, his own bed, his feeding bowls (which are now metal), our direct tv cable, buckets, the door bell of the side of the house, ,,,,,,,well you get the idea. He's a pain in the rear, but I still dig him.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 12:26:43 (permalink)
    English bulldog, by a mile. best dog ever.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 14:17:35 (permalink)

While I know that most of you will say..."OH NO, Here comes Al with his Scottie Stories, AGAIN!!" I hope you will bear with me for a minute here, since this thread is the home of Dog-Lover's.

In the time before Duff and Demi took over our lives, and in fact, before Janet took over MY life, I had a dog. WOLFUS. One morning in 1989 as I was filling my gas tank at a Circle-K in the snowy-winter rain I noticed a shivering tiny puppy by the gas pump. He couldn't have been 6 weeks old at the time and was apparently abandoned. I checked with the convenience store operators and left my phone number should anyone come looking for the puppy, and took the little guy home with me. I had been a Bachelor for 3 years at the time (after divorce) and the dog needed me as much as I needed him. Dubbed WOLFUS, he became my partner in life, going with me just about everywhere. I had a rather active social life at the time and WOLFUS became an excellent judge of character (and other necessary life-skills)when he would meet my friends.
    When Janet entered the picture in 1993, WOLFUS was slow to accept her, but he learned that she was definitely more dependable than I when it came to caring for his little doggie needs like food and water, so we became a threesome.
    WOLFUS was a Mixed breed mutt, but had a lot of Yorkie/Silky Terrier in him. He peaked in size at about 24 lbs. He loved to travel in any form and could ride laid out on my left leg for hours with his head resting on the window ledge as I drove. We spent a lot of time in the area of my "Mayordom", The Cajon Pass area of SoCal. WOLFUS loved the sound and feel as the trains would roll by. He would wait with me as we watched for the appearance of the long freights pulling hard as they came up the Pass. WOLFUS would stand on the rail to feel the vibrations that told him of an approaching train, long before we could see it. Here he is doing his "LOOKOUT DUTY" on the Santa Fe tracks.

When he felt the approach of a train he would bark and be sure I was aware of the coming 'danger', then he would retreat to the safety of the truck to watch it go by, then back to the rails to feel the heat of the friction that remained after the train passed.

WOLFUS made the move to Indiana with us in 2000. He was 11 years old at the time of the move. He adapted well to his new home, but it seemed to age him faster than it should have....that may be true for us too! By 2003 he was having serious aging difficulties and we made the difficult decision to have him put to sleep. That was a very hard thing for me to do.

We waited several months (as a few of you may recall) before we decided to get another dog. As much as I enjoy my current pets and am growing to appreciate their talents and loyalty, I still miss my 'buddy' and recall those years of companionship he provided.
    I called him WOLFUS,The Wonder Dog, and he was just that.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 14:33:55 (permalink)
    Al: That was a wonderful story. I read it twice and I somehow shared your experience. It is wonderful to have something that you love that much.

I once had a Chinese pug that was my friend. he slept in my lap every evening, rode shotgun in my Jeep, Birded with me and died while I was in a meeting in Minneapolis. I had to stop the meeting that I was conducting to regain my composure. I know your feelings.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 14:53:51 (permalink)
    My favorite dog is the one I hunt with. Currently, that's a Chesapeake Bay retriever. Most of my dogs have been yellow Labrador retrievers, although I've also owned English setters, English pointers and Brittany spaniels.
    Pwingsx
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 16:31:46 (permalink)
    Well, Mr Mayor, since it IS on topic, how about posting some more pics of Demi and Duff? Some of use never tire of them.

More dog stories!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 18:14:43 (permalink)
    Pwingsx- You DO know how to get me started, Don't you !

I need to share one more WOLFUS,The Wonder Dog photo with you. WOLFUS didn't particularly like to swim. He would do it, but needed to be convinced that he really wanted to do it. However, he Loved to ride the Boogie Board around the pool, standing like the Captain of the ship as I pushed him around. Here he is in the Role of Captain Bligh !

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 18:42:09 (permalink)
    Wolfus is TOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute..I can't get mine to pose at all. He is very camera shy, and I have to trick him to take a picture.
    Wolfus looks like he has so much Yorkie in him...He looks like one when they are pups...
    Oh, and Al, such a great story also......boo hoo...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 19:06:41 (permalink)
    Our current dogs, McDuff and Demi are both Scottish Terriers. Duff is two and half yrs old now and Demi is a year behind him. Both are AKC Scotties, but that's about where their similiarities end. Duff is the tradional "Aberdeen Scottie" He is a real chunk of a dog. About 28-30 lbs and solid as he can be. His attitude is the one you read about when describing the breed. He is aloof, and decides what he is going to do about a command when he gets around to it. One error in the guide book says that Scotties don't do well with little children. Well Duff loves the little grandkids when they visit. He will play and play with them.
    Demi must have some other breed in her background somewhere. She is smaller than Duff, by about 8-10 lbs. She has a much more "Foo-Foo" attitude about everything. Instead of marching along as he does, she prances and dances every time she moves. When he rides in the truck he watches out the front window unless something attracts his attention to the right or left. She runs back and forth across the back seat, trying to look out both sides at the same time (crew-cab truck). She is the Alpha dog...and he will yield to her in most things. I guess he has taken my role in the family as his guide !!

Here is a family discussion underway with the two pooches. You can see that Duff is having a hard time pleading his case to Demi!

They do play well together. Here Janet is baiting them with the infamous Alaskan Skunk Skin that Lleechef sent to us. She has it attached to a fishing line and casts it out and reels it back in real fast. They chase it and usually catch it before she can jerk it to 'safety'. The dogs love to work together to achieve their goals...Until they try to divide the 'prize' whatever it is...Then She wins !

They make a good team and do travel well. We are looking to our May Roadtrip out West (Colorado-Utah-North Rim and Red Rock Country) I think they will have a great time too. (photos will follow!)
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/26 22:30:46 (permalink)
    My Daughter got a West Highland White Terrier - she named him Kaiser. We had only had mixed breeds in the past, but Kaiser is so great that my wife wants us to get him a Westie little brother. I'm looking forward to seeing two Westies playing.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 14:04:03 (permalink)
    Hubs and I have been married for 43 years, and in all that time have rarely been without a dog. These have been my favorites:

Pappy (short for Papillon), a peek-a-poo who was absolutely crazy about my son. He slept on Buddy's bed, sat in the chair with him while he ate his meals, and followed him everywhere he went. No little boy could have asked for a more faithful friend. Buddy joined the navy right after high school, and was assigned to the Saratoga, an aircraft carrier. Pappy grieved himself to death while Buddy was at sea.

Bubbles was an AKC basset hound that hubs got for my daughter, and they were also inseparable. One summer my in-laws decided they'd go on vacation with us, and my daughter insisted that Bubbles had to come along too. In an effort to make sure that Bubbles wouldn't aggravate my persnickity mother-in-law (who was not a dog lover) during the four hour trip to the coast, I went to the vet and got a mild sedative to keep her calm during the trip. She curled up in the floor of the van at my daughter's feet, and fell deeply asleep. About 50 miles down the road, my mother-in-law began to complain about an awful odor, and pretty soon we could smell it too. Apparently the sedative had given Miss Bubbles a severe case of flatulence. So my effort had backfired (pun intended).

Poor Bubbles got out of the fence one day and was run over. She was the stubbornest dog that I've ever met, but we all loved her. Hubby built her a casket, and we buried her in the back yard under the weeping willow tree.

Juneau was a gray and white siberian husky. Hubs bought him about 6 months after Bubbles died. He was a very intelligent dog, and he was also very polite. Even after he got big, he would sometimes come inside, but he never forgot his manners. We have a very large fenced back yard. Every morning, he would walk the perimeter of the fence with his nose to the ground, to make sure nothing crossed it during the night. My daughter had already married and left home when he died of old age. He's buried in the back yard also - may he rest in peace.

Doodle and Diva are the two toy poodles we have now. They are both very smart, and they each have distinctive personalities. To say they are spoiled is a gross understatement. They eat dry food, of course, but hubs also cooks chicken and takes it off the bone for them. They watch tv with us at night, Doodle in hub's chair with him, and Diva in mine with me. Dogs are priceless.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 15:01:10 (permalink)
    Skylar
    Thanks for sharing the stories. I think your two and our two would be an interesting foursome once all the introductory sniffs were completed. The seem to share very similiar behaviors.
    Pwingsx
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 18:39:49 (permalink)
    People's stories of dogs that have gone before us always make me cry. I have a few of my own.

Thanks for sharing everyone, please post more.

Mr Mayor, thanks for more pics. And Wolfus was a little beauty and obviously bursting with personality.

Where are all the cat people?
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 18:45:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

People's stories of dogs that have gone before us always make me cry. I have a few of my own.

Thanks for sharing everyone, please post more.

Mr Mayor, thanks for more pics. And Wolfus was a little beauty and obviously bursting with personality.

Where are all the cat people?

Cat owners, time to start a new thread!...
    Personally, I am not a cat person... but would read about them here.
    mugirl2003
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 19:35:46 (permalink)
    Did someone say cats? I have a persian cat named Itsy and he reminds me of Falcor from the Neverending Story, minus the bubbly things on his back.He cuddles up on my chest every night when I read and usually when I'm on my laptop, so he's definetly an attention seeker! Dog wise, my parents have two minituare schnauzers that are the light of their lives. They are very smart dogs and very loyal too. We have 1 boy named Smokey and 1 girl named Abby, both salt-n-pepper in color. My father loves Smokey so much that he usually gets up about 4am to take him out to pee! And we always celebrate their birthdays with a trip to McDonalds. I like Shar-pei's, all those wrinkles are adorable!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7022
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 21:26:03 (permalink)
    Great stories everyone and GREAT pictures Mr. Mayor!!! I'm both a cat and dog person but always had cats due to the weird hours cheffing. Kitty doesn't need to be walked, will munch at dry kibble at her leisure and uses the litter box. Easy.

One of my favorite dogs is Tillie, she's part Mackenzie River Husky and part chow. This dog is HUGE, she must weigh nearly 200 pounds. They were bred to pull sleds with heavy freight. When her owner walks her behind the restaurant, Tillie stops and I get "WOOF!" which in doggie language means, "Where's the BACON???" So I have to stop and give her a treat. She is beautiful.

A co-worker has 4 bassett hounds. In the middle of the night he hears this ruckus downstairs. Howard Michael has managed to get the cupboard door open, pull out the 20 lb. bag of food, drag it across the living room floor and tries to back out the doggie door with the food! Of course the bag won't make it through so Howard Michael is standing out in the yard scooping the food out with his paw and eating it!

Dogs (and cats) ROCK!
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/27 23:14:53 (permalink)
    I've never met a dog I didn't like, but I really like sighthounds. Would love to adopt a greyhound in the future. Currently, we have a whippet (named Devo -- get it?) whom I adore. Sighthounds are so gentle and sweet, and there's nothing like watching them run.

If I had my way, we'd have lots of doggies...pugs, labs, goldens....lots and lots of doggies!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/28 10:51:19 (permalink)
    I really want to get a Bassett Hound. I was very close to buying one a couple of years ago. But, we were apartment living and I didn't think it would be a good idea. Now that we have a house, we're re-thinking about the subject.
    Maybe in a couple of years. No rush. But I do want one eventually.

skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/28 12:27:04 (permalink)
    Al, Demi and Duff are adorable! I can tell by looking at their pictures that they're a lot like our dogs - they're really little people dressed up in a dog suit, lol.

Scorereader, the basset we had was really stubborn and exceptionally lazy lol. But we always overlooked her faults because she was so darn loveable. Seriously, bassets are great dogs, and they make good pets.

Lleechef, Tillie sounds like a real character. And I can just picture that basset trying to get the food bag out the doggie door. Bubbles (our basset) was a big clown too. Sometimes I'd laugh at her so hard my sides would ache.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/28 12:31:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

I've never met a dog I didn't like, but I really like sighthounds. Would love to adopt a greyhound in the future. Currently, we have a whippet (named Devo -- get it?) whom I adore. Sighthounds are so gentle and sweet, and there's nothing like watching them run.

If I had my way, we'd have lots of doggies...pugs, labs, goldens....lots and lots of doggies!

Love the analogy. Whippet-Devo...LOL
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/28 13:02:56 (permalink)
    My favorite dog is a clean, well trained, quiet dog that doesn't live in my house.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/29 11:15:42 (permalink)
    I love daschunds. I had one (Teiber) for a year, he chewed and tore "everything" in my house. I could not house train him. He wouldn't go outside unless I did, and when I tried to pick him up he ran away. He was cute, sweet, and smart, but untrainable. I tried and tried, but after going through 3 bedspreads, and several sets of sheets being chewed, not to mention a couch, and carpet, plus various interior doors being chewed up. I had to put everything up off the floors and definitely shoes were put up. After getting a new couch and then finding him chewing on it, was the end for me. I gave him to a guy who had another daschund, and I know he is well taken care of. It broke my heart to let him go. I still think of him everyday and it's been about 6 months since since I gave him away. I often think of him being so devoted to me and looking up at me with his chocolate-brown eyes.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/29 15:17:55 (permalink)

Trevor's my best buddy. He's a yellow lab aka bench lab aka broad head(wide head, big chest). He'll be 9 next month. I rescued him from a breeder at 14 months. I'm his 4th owner. He'd been abused and neglected and it two years of tlc to become the best dog I've ever owned. Trevor's a licensed Therapy Dog (TDI). He visits to hospitals, nursing homes, and schools to interact with patients and students. I live on Lake Michigan and Trevor's in it every day when the weather's nice. We're attached at the hip and he's with me 24/7. I'll try to post some pictures of Trevor riding shotgun in my Miata with the top down. He loves going for rides.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish
    Pwingsx
    RE: Favorite Dog 2006/03/29 16:35:03 (permalink)
    CSD, dog rescue groups are the BEST. I got my corgi from one in Colorado when he was six. He's twelve now and the light of my life.

He's originally from Plano, TX, and he LOVES snow. He launches himself like a mistle, on his side, and slides. He'll stick his whole head underneath it. Of course, with his stumpy legs, only a few inches have to fall to make him a happy happy dog.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1