The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 11, messages 211 to 240 of 305
ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Thu, 03/18/10 7:54 PM (permalink)
Not too many years ago Arby's had a pot roast sandwich that was pretty decent, although I can't remember if it was a "limited time only" item or on the regular menu.

Brad

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
    RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Thu, 04/1/10 10:16 PM (permalink)
    For a very short time in the early 90s - probably 1991, that was when I was seeing this girl who worked at the Arby's across from Kennesaw State U. - Arby's had a "Chicken Fajita Pita."  For a few months there, I was eating about five a week.

--Grant Goggans

tastebuddy

• Total Posts: 6
      Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sun, 04/4/10 6:53 PM (permalink)

A long time ago a joint called the Lil Duffer made a pizza burger.  An old friend and I were remembering them the other day.  Google shows there are still Lil' Duffer joins in Iowa.  I'd like to know how they made the pizza burger.

lone nut

• Total Posts: 69
        Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sat, 04/17/10 4:13 PM (permalink)
        I continue to miss the little fried burritos that Carl's Jr used to have, as well as the larger one that J in the B had. Carl's Jr has a fried burrito now, but it's not quite what they used to offer. Those little guys were great at 2AM after the bars close.
        I also miss the Ortega cheeseburger that Naugles used to have, as well as their burrito which was mostly lots of cheese.
        Taco Bell used to have a chili-cheese burrito that was good.
        Yes, the McDonald's fries cooked in beef tallow were great, and they used to permit me to order a quarter-pounder done medium rare. Yum.

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
          Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Mon, 04/19/10 9:40 AM (permalink)
          1. McDonalds Steak Sandwich - which was test marketed here in the mid west back in the early 80’s. A grilled chopped sirloin patty on a hoagie bun - very good taste but didn’t sell very well.

2. Original Recipe KFC - the way it tasted back in the 60’s and 70’s when it really did have a unique spicy flavor. Current modern day O.R. Kentucky FRAUD Chicken is bland an tasteless and devoid of any original 11 herb / spice flavor except for salt and pepper a little.

BelRose

• Total Posts: 65
            RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Mon, 04/19/10 10:48 PM (permalink)
            The only thing I can think of that I miss were the old Popeye's 'chicken' nuggets that were almost all fried bits that came with a little packet of flavor crystals.  I found them and the rather strange sweet and sour sauce quite addicting.

kimm2444

• Total Posts: 71
              RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 04/21/10 9:55 PM (permalink)
              Vanilla-diet coke I MISS IT

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Fri, 05/7/10 3:22 PM (permalink)
                Our Sonic carries the Pickle O's but they use to have a great fried steak sandwich. It and the pickles are the only thing I would order. Now I am hooked on their $1 hamburger; it comes w/mayo, lettuce, pickles, onion and tomato. I always ask for extra mayo as they don't tend to put enough on. It and a orders of fried pickles makes a great lunch.

sgtboots

• Total Posts: 32
                  RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sun, 05/9/10 2:51 PM (permalink)
                  I loved the McDonald's steak sandwich.  I remember going through the drive thru, getting one and parking right away to eat it.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                    RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sun, 05/9/10 9:39 PM (permalink)
                    McDonald's deep fried apple pie -Popeyes is pretty close,the cinnamon and sugar coating is a nice touch, also the McRib sandwich, had one it in Texas a few years back.

Burger King's steak sandwich, on the long roll with onion rings,lettuce and bbq sauce.

KFC the kentucky nuggetts were a favorite.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Mon, 05/10/10 7:23 PM (permalink)
                      I will list a few items that may be available at places around the country, but have disappeared locally.

HoJo's 3-D burger. A precusor to the Big Mac, the 'special sauce'  made it something special to be sure.

While thinking of Howard Johnsons, add the seafood rolls they served, whether Clam. Lobster, or Scallop they were as close as you could get to the local seafood shacks !! ('cept for using Clam Strips instead of Whole-Belly's) Their Lobster Rolls were the 'Hot-Buttered Recipe' and were outstanding. Add to that their Butter Krunch Ice Cream...my favorite flavor.

Hardee's Fried Chicken. Haven't seen it since the Carl's Merger. We've lost all out Louisville/SoIndiana Hardees for a couple of years. I miss their Burgers too.

No access to the Carl's Western Bacon-Cheeseburger..Rally's does a fair job with their version, but the Carl's/Hardee's was outstanding for a FF Burger.

Baskin Robbins Pink Grapefruit Ice. My forever favorite ice cream flavor.

Our local Culver's does a fine job with their Walleye Sandwich. However it is only available seasonally.

BelRose

• Total Posts: 65
                        RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Mon, 05/10/10 8:53 PM (permalink)
                        mayor al

Hardee's Fried Chicken. Haven't seen it since the Carl's Merger. We've lost all out Louisville/SoIndiana Hardees for a couple of years. I miss their Burgers too.

Hardee's Fried Chicken can still be found at its original source Roy Rogers, but you are going to have to come to Virginia or Maryland to get a decent version of it.

kaszeta

RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Tue, 05/11/10 9:15 AM (permalink)
                          big g in joisey

McDonald's deep fried apple pie

If you find yourself in Canada, the McDs up there still served the fried pies.

iowaheat

• Total Posts: 3
                            Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sun, 06/20/10 12:32 PM (permalink)
                            First think that comes to mind is the original Arby's sauce.  Arby's has never been the same, I remember drowning my sandwiches back in the late 70's in that stuff.  I can't remember the name possibly bullseye if anyone knows.
                            Also Taco Bell's quesarito (?) cheese, green onion, and pizza sauce, then put in their cooker/steamer.

iowaheat

• Total Posts: 3
                              Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sun, 06/20/10 12:39 PM (permalink)
                              Used to love the Big Duffer.  I don't believe the Lil duffer is around anymore.  The ones i could find on google are no longer there.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Mon, 06/21/10 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                I miss the Hardee's Husky from back in the late 60's and early 70's - one of my fav burgers ever and the chicken fried steak sandwich from Sonic. Our Sonic's still serve the Pickle O's and I get them quite often though they are a little over priced but still worth it.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                  RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Tue, 06/22/10 5:12 PM (permalink)
                                  AUCE catfish filet dinners @ Capt. D's.  $4.99  Last saw in 1990.
                                  Grilled made-to-order burgers (especially Big Twin) @ Hardee's circa 1973ish.
                                  Lum's HD's and RB sandwiches; San Juan PR circa 1967.
                                  Pasquale's Pizza.
                                  Orange Julius burgers and HDs.
                                  Original A and W Root Beer places.
                                  Hobbit Hoagies circa 1979 (regional).
                                  Chef's salad at McDonalds.
                                  Chicken filet sandwich @ Wendy's (hand-battered).
                                  Beef Stroganoff Baked Potato @ Wendys.
                                  Wendy's original Chili.
                                  Grilled hot dogs @ Wendy's.
                                  BK's clone of Big Mac (I forgot name).
                                  Kentucky Fried Chicken (NOT KFC).
                                  Popeye's original onion rings, dirty rice, and RB and rice.
                                  Domino's Pizza original crust and sauce (1982ish).
                                  Cheese grits @ Checkers.
                                  HJ restaurants in general (OK so not FF).
                                  Fajitas @ Whataburger (using real steak).  Circa 1988ish.
                                  Whataburger's old cooking method.
                                  Chi-Chi's.  (Original Hot Salsa).
                                  Frontier burger chain (Texas).
                                  Dino's Pizza.

I will think of more later.  LOL.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                    Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Tue, 06/22/10 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                    Carl's Jr jumbo chili dog: It disappeared last year after only three months, but I availed myself of them as often as possible while they lasted. A fat, smokey frank served inside a decent bun, smothered in very good chili (for FF) and topped with raw onions, hold the mustard please.

Jack in the Box sirloin barbecue bacon cheeseburger: Their version of Carl's western bacon cheeseburger, complete with the onion rings. I liked it better than the Carl's version, alas, it disappeared late last year from the line-up.

Jack in the Box "Frings": Tasty combination. Long gone.

Jack in the Box Chili-Cheese curly fries: Oh how I miss this item. I overdid these back in the nineties. The squeeze pump cheese product was so fake, so plastic, and SO GOOD. So was the chili.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                                      Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Tue, 06/22/10 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                      Wendy's Chicken Pita Sandwiches

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 06/23/10 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                        Culver's Walleye Sandwich
                                           "           Double Bacon-ButterBurger

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                          Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 06/23/10 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                          enginecapt

Carl's Jr jumbo chili dog: It disappeared last year after only three months, but I availed myself of them as often as possible while they lasted. A fat, smokey frank served inside a decent bun, smothered in very good chili (for FF) and topped with raw onions, hold the mustard please.

Jack in the Box sirloin barbecue bacon cheeseburger: Their version of Carl's western bacon cheeseburger, complete with the onion rings. I liked it better than the Carl's version, alas, it disappeared late last year from the line-up.

Jack in the Box "Frings": Tasty combination. Long gone.

Jack in the Box Chili-Cheese curly fries: Oh how I miss this item. I overdid these back in the nineties. The squeeze pump cheese product was so fake, so plastic, and SO GOOD. So was the chili.

I'm pretty sure Hardee's had the same jumbo chili dog. Wasn't bad at at all but no Hardee's or Carl's Jr here in this part of Florida.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Thu, 06/24/10 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                            Carl's bought up the Hardee Name several years ago, so the relationship of the two "Dogs" would be logical.

No Hardees anymore on the Indiana side of Louisville either. The franchiser went under and  all 12 or more closed a few years ago.  Still a few in Louisville (KY side) but none convenient enough to be worth a ride.

Carl's was one of the better FF choices when we lived in SoCal.

blizzardstormus

• Total Posts: 274
                                              Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Thu, 06/24/10 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                              Hardee's Breakfast Steak Biscuit during the late 70s.

dinerfan

• Total Posts: 1
                                                Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Thu, 07/1/10 11:15 PM (permalink)
                                                Does anyone remember a "burger" that was sold by KFC during the early 70's. I think it was called a "Colonel Burger" or something like it. I vaguely remember it, but know I liked it.

harleytexas

• Total Posts: 101
                                                  Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Sun, 07/4/10 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  Grecian bread at KFC

DoubleChubbyChuck

• Total Posts: 22
                                                    Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Tue, 07/6/10 2:50 PM (permalink)
                                                    dinerfan

Does anyone remember a "burger" that was sold by KFC during the early 70's. I think it was called a "Colonel Burger" or something like it. I vaguely remember it, but know I liked it.

In the early 70's in Wichita there was a Kentucky Roast Beef about a mile from our house.  It only lasted a few years but it was definiteley an offshoot of KFC.  After it shutdown the owner converted it to a KFC as he owned the local franchise.  I think they also had burgers on the menu. 

<message edited by DoubleChubbyChuck on Wed, 07/7/10 12:53 PM>

Wintem01

• Total Posts: 205
                                                      Re:Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 07/7/10 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                      I think the volkswagon in that picture was my first car, just put a fence post and two-by-four bumper on the back!! Ok, burgers at GD Ritzy's and chocolate chip shakes at Rax.
                                                      <message edited by Wintem01 on Wed, 07/7/10 2:36 PM>

ieatfornostalgiasometimes

• Total Posts: 2
                                                        • Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
                                                        RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 12/29/10 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                        I know it's probably because of the economy or something, but I miss Taco Bell's $.98 been burrito and hard taco combo!  I would get that with a Cheesy Gordita Crunch when they first came out.  Was that around 2002, maybe?
                                                        I love reading this thread, btw! 

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                                                          RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 12/29/10 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                                          1.  Banana Pudding Blizzard @ DQ
                                                          2.  Big Wheel @ 7-Eleven
                                                          3.  Dirty Rice @ Church's

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                                                            • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                            RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued Wed, 12/29/10 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                                            Fried Clams at Church's now that Church's is back.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 11, messages 211 to 240 of 305

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com