Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Cheeseburger
2006/02/24 02:02:51
Anyone have any they miss.
Maybe the "hot side hot,cool side cool" from McDonald's whatever it was called.
Or the Jack in the Box pizza pockets,taco salad or "Dinner in the Box" ?
Wendy's breakfast sandos on "toast"
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/24 02:10:04
Yeah--the original Arby's roast beef sandwich made with (drum roll, please) ACTUAL ROAST BEEF, carved to order.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/24 02:19:56
That must have been a long time ago. I remember in the '80's
Arby's had computer touch screens to order from but no one could do
it.(maybe too simple) so they took them out and I don't remember carved roast beef then.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/24 02:37:08
It was in the mid 60's. I don't know when, exactly, they switched to the pressed/formed pseudobeef. For the history of Arby's, see http://www.arbys.com/arb01.html . This says they were founded in 1964. It couldn't have been long after that. They had huge steamship rounds and some guy would slice off a couple slices, slap 'em on a bun, wrap it and hand it to you: $0.79 (as the web site says). They had lines out the door.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/24 03:25:43
Your Arby's story reminded me why the Orange Julius drink became popular. It was nothing like it is today. They broke fresh raw eggs right into the blender right in front of you to make your FRESH drink. It was really good.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/24 07:41:10
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Yeah--the original Arby's roast beef sandwich made with (drum roll, please) ACTUAL ROAST BEEF, carved to order.

I think they still did this into the 70's, but yes, I remember them carving to order.
Poopy
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/24 09:04:47
I miss the fried pickle-os from Sonic.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/25 13:51:10
I miss the fried veggies from the Druther's salad bar. They were a staple in high school.

Andrea
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 03:40:06
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

Maybe the "hot side hot,cool side cool" from McDonald's whatever it was called.

That would be the McDLT.
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 03:46:15
As to what I miss, here is a list:

* Hot dogs at Wendy's that came in a big piece of bread

* A hot dog extra value meal at McDonald's for $2.79 (in 1995)

* Bigger French fries at Wendy's that were just as wide as they were thick, not half as wide as they are thick as is the case today

Those are all I can think of at the moment.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 08:57:48
I remember the Wendy's Hot Dogs; they were pretty good.
Other's include:

Onion Rings @ Popeye's
Fried Mushrooms @ Dairy Queen
Super Bar @ Wendy's
Big Twin @ Hardee's (1970's; cooked on their air grill)
Original FF @ McDonald's
Fried Jalepeno Poppers @ Burger King
The Lum's chain in general
The original Domino's (In early 80's, before they changed both the sauce and dough recipe, their sausage vendor, and also before the switched to cooking in the chain ovens)

AndreaB
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 09:09:38
Other things I miss are the Arby's hamburger; the Onion Rings from Frisch's (ours is gone); the spaghetti from The Fresher Cooker; and the cheeseburger baskets from G.D. Ritzy's.
Our DQ in Versailles still has the fried mushrooms.

Andrea
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 12:39:37
1. Wendy's breakfast sandwiches....Sausage or bacon (or both) on square toast (with tomato, lettuce & mayo).

2. McD's double decker fish sandwich.

3. I second Adjudicator's Lum's comment.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 13:41:06
I gotta admit that many years ago McDonalds fries and coffee was superior.

Lawsuits got them both taken down a bunch of notches. Coffee use to be really hot and the fries were cooked in some type of beef fat that made them tasty.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 19:03:30
Fried Chicken, Roast Beef, & Turkey Clubs from Hardees.
saps
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 20:37:54
Fried cherry pies from McDonalds

phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/26 22:20:57
jack in the box style tacos from burger king, closest thing to jack since there are none in florida and now bk scrapped them
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 07:51:23
The Shamrock Shake at McDonald's. They aren't offered here at all, anymore. Haven't seen them in years.
And Dairy Queen's S'more Galore Parfait. Most amazing thing ever.
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 08:59:07
The turkey sandwiches at White Castle.
txtwister
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 13:36:05
I can NOT believe I'll be the first to say in this thread...

Chicken Littles from KFC.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 14:00:55
in the 80's, Burker King had international (breaded) chicken sandwiches on a hoagie roll. I believe the international sandwiches inlcuded Italian, French and American.

stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 14:15:29
How about crushed ice in your drink at KFC or anywhere.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 15:26:30
Ah yes, crushed ice. I also miss those little tube pieces of ice. It wasn't crushed per se, but they were little cylinders. Anyone remember those?
those rocked.

txtwister
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 15:44:24
Sounds like the ice at Sonic - which you can buy here in western-central TX.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 16:21:47
Pioneer Chicken strips with that polynesian BBQ sauce

Seafood salad in a flour tortilla shell from Taco Bell

California Roast Beef Sandwich from Carl's Jr. (Roast Beef, Jack Cheese and Ortega chili)

Bellbeefer from Taco Bell

McDonald's orginal fries

McDonald's fried apple and cherry pies
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 17:17:41
I liked McDonald's shaker salads.
The value wasn't great, but it was the only salad I could eat on the road, since it was in a large cup, I could drink-style eat it...if that makes any sense (ya know, just pour it in without need for fork) It was the healthiest way I could eat and drive without doing a sit-down.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 21:12:14
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

in the 80's, Burker King had international (breaded) chicken sandwiches on a hoagie roll. I believe the international sandwiches inlcuded Italian, French and American.

Guess what. They are back. Got a dbl. whopper w. cheese today (one every six or so months ain't so bad). The "international chicken" thingies back on menu.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 21:23:53
Original Steak Fajitas (with REAL Steak & nothing else) from Whataburger (circa 1988 or so).

Original Breakfast Fajitas (scrambled egg, sausage, & cheese & nothing else), circa same time period.

Of course, all cooked to order & HOT, served with vast amounts of their salsa.

All of which was best eaten in early A.M. time periods. You had to have been there.
stricken_detective
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/27 23:40:59
McDonald's chunky chicken salad from the 80's. Tasted so good w/blue cheese dressing.

Wendy's Apple Dumpling. And chocolate chip cookies. And Dave's Deluxe. When I worked @ Wendy's in the early 90's we'd get 2 people a month asking for the Dave's Deluxe.

Wendy's grilled chicken salad w/a breadstick.
Ashphalt
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/28 13:37:41
I still miss the Bell's Tostada. It was a cheap side, sort of like a mini iceberg salad with beans on a corn tortilla. A taco just isn't the same.

I lived on McDLTs when they came out. The hot side was never hot, but the cold side always did come with about a pint of mayo. In NYC it seemed they could only sell them by giving out coupons offering them free with a drink and fries. Free was just about what I could afford at the time. Then they got a lot of heat over using enough CFCs in each package to air condition Macy's and they cashed that one in. Sometimes I miss the Mayoburger.

Loved the (fried) hot apple pies.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/28 16:12:13
the "international" buffet at Wendy's...which really only included Italian and Mexican type foods. So, I guess the whole world was really represented there! Seriously, who in the world doesn't eat spaghetti and soft tacos?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/02/28 19:37:47
quote:

the "international" buffet at Wendy's...which really only included Italian and Mexican type foods. So, I guess the whole world was really represented there! Seriously, who in the world doesn't eat spaghetti and soft tacos?

That was the "super bar". Tacos were very good. At the Wendy's I ran we had only hard shell corn taco shell, though. Super Bar still operating, BTW, in some "elite" mega-high volume franchises.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/01 11:16:26
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

That was the "super bar". Tacos were very good. At the Wendy's I ran we had only hard shell corn taco shell, though. Super Bar still operating, BTW, in some "elite" mega-high volume franchises.

any of those in the East Coast?

when I was on the Atkins diet, the salad bar at Wendy's was great. Tunas Salad, and lots of salad items. Then, most of the salad bars left and they started selling preprepared salads. Bummer.
Super Bar would be good, but I'd just like the salad bar back.

CNW
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/03 02:27:39
Burger King's Meatloaf Sandwich

Smak's Hickory Burger

Naugle's Macho Burrito

McDonald's Burger of the Month

KFC's Golden Rotisserie Chicken

Texas Tom's Italian Steak
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/03 02:32:58
McD burger of the month, that one I can't remember.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/03 11:12:53
the problem with a McDLT was that it used twice as much styrofoam as a BigMac since they had the sandwich in two parts.

I remember the switch from styrofoam to card board. I wasn't happy then, but in retrospect, it was a good change.

stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/03 13:28:57
How about the fat jalapenos for a quarter at kfc, now that would wake you up
CNW
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/05 02:55:06
In the late 80's and early 90's, the McDonalds in the Kansas City region at least had a burger of the month. The three that I remember were;

1. The Patty Melt - Quarter Pound Patty on a Rye Bun with grilled onions and chedder cheese sauce.

2. The McJordan Burger - Quarter Pound BBQ Bacon Chesseburger complete with 2 onion rings on it.

3. The Mushroom Swiss Burger.
stricken_detective
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/05 18:36:58
quote:
Originally posted by cnw

2. The McJordan Burger - Quarter Pound BBQ Bacon Chesseburger complete with 2 onion rings on it.
I miss this one. 1993.

Wendy's had a patty melt when I worked there in 1992. Rye bun, fried onion, swiss cheese & I think 1000 island dressing?
SassyGritsAL
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/06 15:33:38
Fried pickle o's from Sonic and their steak sandwich, and Hardee's Husky hamburger. Our Popeyes here still make delicious onion rings.
BlueberrieSwirl
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/10 22:51:16
Mine is the Arch Deluxe.

That was a good sandwich..
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/10 23:02:56
Two people have mentioned the fried "pickle o's" from Sonic,
What exactly were those ?
hatteras04
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/14 11:26:35
For a short time McD's offered a Johnsonville Brat which was pretty good. I also miss the chicken littles from KFC.
wilewil
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/14 16:35:36
I miss the Roy Rogers Roaster(chicken). It was pretty good,in fact the Washington Post used it as a "ringer" in a taste test with some higher class (and price) roast chicken and it won.

But then again, I pretty much miss Roy's as there is little left of a once quite good chain.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/14 17:58:59
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

For a short time McD's offered a Johnsonville Brat which was pretty good.

I still see the brats once in a while. I think it's more in the fall during football season.
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 00:33:36
Louisiana Chicken's Gumbo

In the 70's...

Taco Bell's Bell Burgers

Jack in the Box - Spanish Omelets

Mc Donald's actually fried apple pies. (Let us make the choice!)

fastfood
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 13:41:38
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

That must have been a long time ago. I remember in the '80's
Arby's had computer touch screens to order from but no one could do
it.(maybe too simple) so they took them out and I don't remember carved roast beef then.

A recent memo from corporate office stated we will be getting those.
fastfood
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 13:42:43
quote:
Originally posted by BT

BS nothing major has changed.
fastfood
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 13:49:48
Arbys jalapeno bites with the bronco berry sauce were discontinued by our company a few months ago. I loved those things and the sauce it came with.
Cornbread
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 20:20:02
Back in the early to late 70's Burger King had a ham and cheese sandwich called "The Yumbo"...does anyone remember this sandwish? It was on a 6", seeded hoagie bun and was wrapped in yellow wax paper.

Anything Roy Rogers had was good too...Roast Beef tasted like Roast Beef and their chicken was always fresh...whatever happened to them?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 21:18:54
I remember that one, the "Yumbo". Was pretty good. I imagine the food costs on same was pretty high. Too bad. BK needs to realize that their current offerings involving traditional beef & chicken products are not what consumers are looking for 100% of the time. Oh well.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 21:26:28
What about the BK Broiler, a quality product I would be happy to get at a roadfood place. But they keep changing the name and the product so I don't bother anymore.
Drewmcdan1
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/15 21:46:08
Roy Rogers' Double R-Bar burger. It was a burger with ham and cheese on top. Smothered the top roll with Roy's Horsey sauce and BBQ sauce and a few onions.

I miss Roys and the few left at the highway rest stops are a poor remnant of the original outlets. There are a few real Roys centered around Frederick, MD.
jeepguy
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/16 06:57:00
quote:
Originally posted by cnw

In the late 80's and early 90's, the McDonalds in the Kansas City region at least had a burger of the month. The three that I remember were;

1. The Patty Melt - Quarter Pound Patty on a Rye Bun with grilled onions and chedder cheese sauce.

It was the Cheddar Melt and it was pretty good.Not a big fan of cheese sauce though.
stricken_detective
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/16 22:55:15
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
Originally posted by cnw

It was the Cheddar Melt and it was pretty good.Not a big fan of cheese sauce though.
That's because it's not cheese so much as hydrogenated oil. But before I looked at the ingredients, it was great!!
Cornbread
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/23 18:31:43
quote:

I remember that one, the "Yumbo". Was pretty good. I imagine the food costs on same was pretty high. Too bad. BK needs to realize that their current offerings involving traditional beef & chicken products are not what consumers are looking for 100% of the time. Oh well.

Adjudicator: You are the only person I've known other than me that remembers the Yumbo. Glad to know that I am not getting senile and making up sandwiches that never exsisted.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/23 22:33:00
quote:
Originally posted by fastfood

quote:
Originally posted by BT

BS nothing major has changed.

You mean, of course, nothing much has changed aside from the fact that Arby's no longer uses an actual beef roast and no longer carves a roast for each individual order. Arby's now uses an emulsified and formed meat product made from beef chunks, ground beef and water with chemicals and preservatives. Actually, this is taken directly from Arby's own nutritional chartdescribing the makeup of its roast beef:

"Trimmed boneless beef chunks (minimum 70%) combined with chopped beef for a maximum of 12% fat. Contains up to 9.0% of a self-basting solution of water,salt, sodium phosphate"
long dog
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/24 22:01:05
quote:
Originally posted by sizz_leteen

The Shamrock Shake at McDonald's. They aren't offered here at all, anymore. Haven't seen them in years.
And Dairy Queen's S'more Galore Parfait. Most amazing thing ever.

Just had one last Friday.........
long dog
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/24 22:06:54
quote:
Originally posted by Cornbread

quote:

Adjudicator: You are the only person I've known other than me that remembers the Yumbo. Glad to know that I am not getting senile and making up sandwiches that never exsisted.

We had the Yumbo here in Connecticut, too.
I had forgotten all about those things.

I also remember the salad bar at Wendy's.

How about the McDonald's MDX ?

Kayleigh
Hamburger
RE: Favorite Fast Food Menu Items Discontinued 2006/03/24 22:13:45
long (?) what was the MDX ?

K
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6