Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite Foods from the 80s!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51
Foxyfishy14

• Total Posts: 192
RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Thu, 07/26/07 10:37 AM (permalink)
RJV and BakersBoy:

If you don't have anything to contribute that actually relates to the subject of the thread...why bother at all? The subject of this thread is "Favorite Food from the 80s"...not favorite roadfoods from the 80s...this whole site is full of "non-roadfood related threads"...but different people come to the site for different reasons and enjoy the exchange of ideas on a particular subject and I think you need to respect that. So unless you intend to go on each and every one of those other threads and chastise the people that are talking about non roadfood related items on those...then please don't ruin it for the rest of us. I don't know why you people feel the need to be so negative...if you don't like a particular subject that people are discussing..then just move on to a different one.

I'm just saying that there is no need to ruin a nice thread that people are enjoying with negativity.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 07/27/07 10:06 AM (permalink)
    You know, you're right. Having to hew to discussing roadfood on a site labeled Roadfood.com is so...constricting. Probably bad for self-esteem, too and contrary to the dictum, popularized in the 80's, that everyone's a winner. How about we discuss favorite Beanie Babies next?

Yankeesfan

• Total Posts: 155
      RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 07/27/07 10:42 AM (permalink)
      I like this site because it seems to be populated mostly by unpretentious, down-to-earth people who enjoy "real food for real people" (as opposed to the snobbish restaurant reviews published in places like the Washington Post), who enjoy food and aren't too snooty to admit it. If that sometimes leads to discussions of different kinds of food, what's the harm? If you look at a thread and can't relate to it, just move on. Obviously other people are enjoying it or it wouldn't have reached this length.

Foxyfishy14

RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 07/27/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
        Thank you so much Yankeesfan. I whole heartedly agree with your post...people like RJB obviously don't have anything better to do with their time than to complain and spread negativity while others are trying to have friendly and civil discussions. Thanks again for supporting me!

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
          RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 07/27/07 1:42 PM (permalink)
          FF,

I am truly sorry, I did not mean to offend you but I did not notice that this topic was under the "Snacks and Candy" site. The foods that you have metioned in your original post are for the most part confections and not actually food. Who would actually want to ingest high fructose corn syrup when other products are available. What restaurant has been featured here because they serve the best corn flakes?

We do try to have an amiable conversation on this link, I have even planned trips to NM, Me, and Tn based upon the books and the Stern's advise. I would have never gone to "The Maine Diner " or "Tecolote" without their advise. The reason that I use this site is to find out new places to go to eat. I travel alot. Sometimes the reviews are spot on, sometimes not. But at least I do not worry about food that comes out of a box or a can when I go to a place that has been recommened by the Roadfood staff. Canned or boxed; some of it is good, some not so much.(I still like Beef-a-Roni).

The folks here who actually talk about food know what they are taking about. By the way my most favorite food from the 80's was a meatloaf sandwich from "The Dog House", across form the state prison on Fallsway in Baltimore. They didn't serve cereal.

Food snob? Now way. But I do appreciate good food.

All the best,

BB

Yankeesfan

• Total Posts: 155
            RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 07/27/07 5:09 PM (permalink)
            BakersBoy, I want to compliment you on your service as a police officer. (BTW, I'll be at Camden Yards in Baltimore on Sunday, but NOT to cheer for the O's!) I just see these discussions as fun diversions. Some of us don't get to travel often (I have five children, some still at home) but still enjoy the site for whatever reason. And concerning the mention of healthy food, I'd like to gently point out the the meal pictured on the home page right now includes chicken-fried steak and country gravy -- two items not exactly within the healthy fat and cholesterol range and that I would never order anywhere! But that's okay. To each his or her own, and everyone is entitled to indulge once in a while. Here's to more amiable discussions!

danielle81

• Total Posts: 3
              RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sun, 05/25/08 6:22 PM (permalink)
              Sheesh, I don't know why people on this thread are getting so defensive! I guess things were always better "way back when"!! haha. There's threads about pork rinds, tastycakes,divinity etc.. they need to talk to them about over processed,sugary, fatty foods
              Anyhoo.. Yes, I do remember Ecto-cooler Kool Aid! Was around the time Ghostbusters was out! and also the ghostbuster cereal w/ marshmallow ghosts??I also remember the cheetos puffs in the blue bag..hehe.
              Remember when Trix cereal was round shaped?...haha.. A few years back when visiting chicago, i found bonkers, but it was only 1 color and it tasted like starburst. I was pretty disappointed. I checked up on it, and it's actually discontinued :( Ahhh.. memories! Thanks for that bit of nostalgia, FOxy :)

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Mon, 05/26/08 2:24 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

Does anyone else here miss all that there was (food wise) in the 80s? I guess because I am a child of the 80s I often look back at all of the wonderful food (although not all that wonderful for me) I ate back then and wonder if anyone else misses things from that decade?

My choices:

Squirt Soda

Kool-aid flavors: Purple-saurus Rex and Ecto Cooler

Jumpin Jack Cheese Doritos
                Smores Cereal
                Handy Snacks
                Rocky Road Cereal
                Hostess Pudding Pies
                I know one person that said that the hostess chocolate cupcakes with the squiggly line on top in vanilla frosting used to be filled with chocolate pudding...man I wish I was around to taste those!

That's all I can think of at the moment.

They still make Squirt, it's also called 50/50 around here. We still have Fresca too & there are several flavors of that. The peach is the best. Citrus soda contains BVO (brominated vegetable oil) so I try not to have too much of it.

They still made Shasta in the 90's, I bet you could find it at the dollar store now.

Ecto-Cooler was a Hi-C punch. They had one that was better called Hula Cooler, I remember it well from Kelly J's slumber party birthday party in 4th grade. It was very good. They also came out with one called Candy Apple Cooler, it was good but a little too sweet.

I miss Sharkleberry Fin Kool-Aid. It was strawberry watermelon-y.

Jumpin' Jack Cheese Doritos were pretty excellent. I don't know why they stopped making them.

S'mores cereal was very different back in the 80's. It was pretty much Golden Grahams with chocolate chips & those marshamallows from hot chocolate. It's not the same as now.

Oh & the cupcakes with the pudding in the middle instead of the whipped cream--those were a mix, you had to make them yourself.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                  RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Tue, 05/27/08 10:49 AM (permalink)
                  I remember ring pops,Smurf Cereal,and several other things mentioned.I can remeber too,Turkish Taffy, BB bats,Sugar Daddy,Sugar Momma and Sugar Babbies,Quisp Cereal,Squirt,Tab Sodas, Fruit Float,
                  Whip and Chill,and many other products which aren't manufactured any more, or just sold regionally now.
                  Even though this isn't RoadFood, it's still nice to reminces about the old days.

pittpanther

• Total Posts: 2
                    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Tue, 05/27/08 7:44 PM (permalink)
                    Some of my favorites:

1. Love Hearts (the fizzy kind) - I remember the ones from Swizzels (still available from the UK) and another similar kind that was sold in a booklet around Valentine's Day (like LifeSavers are today)
                    2. Lollies (also from Swizzels)
                    3. FruiTart Chews - these were sold in long packages (the ones available in Bulk today are not the same) - flavors were Strawberry, Grape and Cherry (sold individually)
                    4. Carnation Breakfast Bars

Also loved Rax Roast Beef restaurants (Mid Atlantic chain - most of which has disappeared)...

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                      RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 05/30/08 9:32 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by desertdog

Shasta and Fresca Soda pop.

We still have Squirt here in the Safeway. In fact, when Aunts and Uncles come over for a visit I mix up "the house drink", which is a Whiskey Sour made with Jim Beam and Squirt, and of course a marachino cherry.

This was my Dad's favorite drink throughout the 70's and 80's, so it is always our little tribute to him at get-togethers.

Wow D Dog. I've been drinking this concoction for many years also. We can also get Squirt at the local Basha's.

I remember Zotz? It was a hard candy filled with fizzy powder. Kind of like Pop Rocks but not in small pieces like them. One of my favorite candies of all time. I haven't seen them since the 70's.

David O.

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                        RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Fri, 05/30/08 11:13 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

I remember Zotz? It was a hard candy filled with fizzy powder. Kind of like Pop Rocks but not in small pieces like them. One of my favorite candies of all time. I haven't seen them since the 70's.

David O.

zotz are still around .. try Albertson's or look online
                        http://www.zotzpower.com/

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/zotz.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150213085959&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D150213085959%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

XanaJew

• Total Posts: 42
                          RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sat, 05/31/08 2:53 AM (permalink)
                          Tab
                          Aspen
                          Reggie Bars
                          Mrs. GoodCookie
                          Buckwheats Cereal
                          Doritos Sour Cream n' Onion
                          New Coke

magcentric

• Total Posts: 80
                            RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sat, 05/31/08 5:08 AM (permalink)
                            My favorite Beanie Baby was Nuts the Squirrel.
                            Hey, just kidding guys!
                            In the mid to late 80's, Sentry Foods in Oshkosh, WI sold the best
                            bialys ever! I just about lived on bialys back then. I realize that bialys are
                            not unique to the 80's but at Sentry in Oshkosh they were.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                              RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sat, 05/31/08 6:29 AM (permalink)
                              I too was a kid in the 70's and 80's and yes I remember that Smores cereal --- it was the sugar buzz from Hades! I also miss the Swiss Colony, the arcade at the mall, the original MTV, York Steak House, G.D. Ritzy's, the salad bar with the fried veggies at Druther's, Wiener King, The Magic Pan, and probably a bunch of other things I've forgotten about!

Andrea

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sat, 05/31/08 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                Squirt and Fresca are still available in Texas, as is the original Dr. Pepper made with cane sugar. Some stores carry "Mexican Coca Cola" which is also made with cane - last time I saw that was in COSTCO - Plano West.

(I was going to say Mexican Coke, but some would think I was making a joke).

slcgrad

• Total Posts: 10
                                  RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sun, 06/1/08 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                  Oh, man, do I miss The Magic Pan. I loved that place as a kid. Near where I grew up as a kid (Bryn Mawr, PA), we had The Proud Popover, a popover-based offshoot of The Magic Pan. I don't know whose brilliant/terrible idea it was to make a popover-themed restaurant, but it was my favorite restaurant as a kid.

80s-food wise, I miss Quaker Oatmeal Peaches n' Cream instant oatmeal cereal. No one ever liked it but me. Even as a kid, I could tell that it wasn't long for this world.

More recently, I miss C2, which was slightly less sweet than Coke and therefore (gasp!), tasted slightly better. But that belongs to the topic of "millenial foods that we miss."

x-entertainment.com is a great site, by the way.

stricken_detective

RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Sun, 06/1/08 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by slcgrad

80s-food wise, I miss Quaker Oatmeal Peaches n' Cream instant oatmeal cereal. No one ever liked it but me. Even as a kid, I could tell that it wasn't long for this world.

x-entertainment.com is a great site, by the way.

^^They have the peach oatmeal, but you have to buy the value pack of all the other flavors to get them.

I love x-entertainment.com!!!

Foxyfishy14

RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Thu, 06/5/08 10:20 AM (permalink)
                                      AndreaB I miss the original MTV as well! Now all they have is reality crap...I haven't seen a video on MTV in years! Anyway, Swiss Colony is still around...I get their mail order catalog each Christmas and I really miss York's Steak House too!

Thanks for your post!

nostalgicfoodguy

• Total Posts: 14
                                        RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Wed, 06/18/08 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                        My two favorite foods from the 1980's?

One was a hot cereal called "Morning Power" (from the early 1980's as I recall) and the other was Appian Way 'Crisp Crust' version of their pizza mix (came in a brown verses red box).

stricken_detective

RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! Thu, 06/19/08 2:30 AM (permalink)
                                          Pepsi Light, there was a lemon on the light blue/turquoise can.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com