Favorite Foods from the 80s!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
  • Location: Any City, CT
  • Status: offline
2007/07/13 14:40:14 (permalink)

Favorite Foods from the 80s!

Does anyone else here miss all that there was (food wise) in the 80s? I guess because I am a child of the 80s I often look back at all of the wonderful food (although not all that wonderful for me) I ate back then and wonder if anyone else misses things from that decade?

My choices:

Smurf Cereal
Bonkers Candy
Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs
Squirt Soda
Push Pops
Ring Pops
Giggles Cookies (Way better than Oreos...they had two different flavors of creme..they were genius! )
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/583.html

Kool-aid flavors: Purple-saurus Rex and Ecto Cooler
The Bazooka Gum that came out of a tube like toothpaste
Jumpin Jack Cheese Doritos
Smores Cereal
Handy Snacks
Rocky Road Cereal
Hostess Pudding Pies
I know one person that said that the hostess chocolate cupcakes with the squiggly line on top in vanilla frosting used to be filled with chocolate pudding...man I wish I was around to taste those!

That's all I can think of at the moment.



#1

50 Replies Related Threads

    Momcat25
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    • Joined: 2006/09/23 22:28:00
    • Location: Monmouth County, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/14 13:29:24 (permalink)
    Purple-saurus Rex Kool-Aid - was that the grape/lemonade flavored KoolAid? I remember when my son was little (in the 80's) that was our favorite flavor. It was only out for a short while. I miss it, tried making it myself by mixing Grape and Lemonade flavored packets together, but not the same!
    #2
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    • Joined: 2002/02/14 23:55:00
    • Location: Oakland, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/14 13:46:17 (permalink)
    Foxy, I'm not trying to be mean, but none of those things particularly resembles food, to my mind anyway.
    #3
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    • Joined: 2007/06/08 02:03:00
    • Location: greencastle, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/15 00:42:56 (permalink)
    in my opinion the 80's sucked.......cept for metallica and ozzy.....food came out of the closet in the 90's hate to say it but thanks to the foodnetwork......they have went to **** recently......my good food memories of the 80's were my mother and grandmothers cooking.....godbless and rip grandma and mom is still getting it done.
    nuff said
    ron
    #4
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10118
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: online
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/15 01:00:22 (permalink)
    Fondue was the Craze and now it's coming back. Also that's when interest in Wines came into vogue.
    #5
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    • Joined: 2005/05/14 17:39:00
    • Location: atlanta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/15 01:17:13 (permalink)
    Frankenberry and Pop Rocks.
    #6
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    • Joined: 2003/10/14 14:56:00
    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/15 04:26:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    Fondue was the Craze and now it's coming back. Also that's when interest in Wines came into vogue.

    We have a fondue restaurant that opened here on the NE side of town a little over a year ago. I scratched my head thinking these people where crazy.. They're in an extremely high rent area by the IMAX (Celebration Cinema) theater. But, the doors are still open! Must be doing something right...

    As for the wine, I hear ya.. A vintage week of Mad Dog 20/20 will be memorable for several days!
    #7
    KIMMYJ1962
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    • Joined: 2006/02/03 10:20:00
    • Location: Flint, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/19 15:35:51 (permalink)
    Foxy, I live in Michigan and can still get Squirt soda, ring pops, smores cereal, handy snacks and Hostess pudding pies (chocolate and lemon flavors).
    #8
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
    • Location: Any City, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/19 16:25:26 (permalink)
    I know I can get Squirt Soda over the internet...but I'm SOOO jealous that you can still get Pudding Pies! I may have to ask you to send me some sometime! I know that one of the cereal companies makes smores cereal but it doesn't appear to have the golden graham like "flakes" that the original had.

    I figured they still made Handi Snacks and Ring Pops...they just haven't been on my shopping list since the 80s! : )

    Thanks for your imput!

    #9
    jparis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Joined: 2007/02/01 13:53:00
    • Location: Wake Forest, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 10:48:12 (permalink)
    Magic Middles...oh what I would give to have just one more.
    #10
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    • Joined: 2003/10/14 14:56:00
    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 10:51:45 (permalink)
    I miss the frozen pizza from the 80's. Back when it had some substance and flavor, unlike todays cardboard slices dusted with a topping or two..
    #11
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    • Joined: 2003/06/25 10:11:00
    • Location: Las Cruces, NM
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 11:36:45 (permalink)
    Wine Coolers. I remember people really enjoyed drinking them back in the 1980s. Not such a big beverage any more.
    #12
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    • Joined: 2003/12/15 09:33:00
    • Location: Bronxville, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 11:52:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

    Does anyone else here miss all that there was (food wise) in the 80s? I guess because I am a child of the 80s I often look back at all of the wonderful food (although not all that wonderful for me) I ate back then and wonder if anyone else misses things from that decade?

    My choices:

    Smurf Cereal
    Bonkers Candy
    Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs
    Squirt Soda
    Push Pops
    Ring Pops
    Giggles Cookies (Way better than Oreos...they had two different flavors of creme..they were genius! )
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/583.html

    Kool-aid flavors: Purple-saurus Rex and Ecto Cooler
    The Bazooka Gum that came out of a tube like toothpaste
    Jumpin Jack Cheese Doritos
    Smores Cereal
    Handy Snacks
    Rocky Road Cereal
    Hostess Pudding Pies
    I know one person that said that the hostess chocolate cupcakes with the squiggly line on top in vanilla frosting used to be filled with chocolate pudding...man I wish I was around to taste those!

    That's all I can think of at the moment.


    File this as Exhibit A under "Why Americans and particularly their children are grossly overweight"

    #13
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
    • Location: Any City, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 13:58:00 (permalink)
    RJB:

    I would like to disagree with you on that last comment regarding why kids in America today are grossly overweight.

    My parents allowed me to eat "junk food" every so often, but it wasn't like I was eating this stuff left and right...I was actually a skinny kid! In fact, I ate more salads, tuna, chicken and veggies than any other kid I knew!

    The reason why kids today are grossly overweight is because many parents don't take the time to actually worry about what their children are eating..and then in turn make sure that their children are getting educated on what is good vs. what is bad for them and also making sure that they are receiving well balanced meals.

    So blaming the companies that produce sugary cereals, candy and over processed foods, is in my opinion, very similar to blaming tv stations for exposing children to inappropriate subject matter...don't blame the companies...blame the parents for not taking responsibility for their children.

    I heard a great quote recently..."any moron can have a child, its raising them that's the hard part."

    This thread was created for people that would like to share what they miss about 80s foods and to discuss it...so in the future, if you wish to comment on that, you are more than welcome, if not...please find another thread to express your opinions on.
    #14
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
    • Location: Any City, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 14:03:18 (permalink)
    Oh and American Adults are overweight because the majority of Americans are LAZY! Most adults would rather have something "pre-made" than cook a healthy meal!

    Also, have you seen how many people will fight over a parking spot that is right next to the door? Or how many people would rather take an elevator than walk up a few flights of stairs? Americans today want everything handed to them on a silver platter...including their super sized Big Mac, fries and soda.

    I would like to point out that my opinions do not include people who are in any way handicapped or have any other health problem that may contribute to gaining weight (ie..thyroid or taking meds that may cause someone to gain weight) etc.
    #15
    hep2thejive
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    • Joined: 2006/09/12 16:18:00
    • Location: Washington, DC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 14:10:14 (permalink)
    I always wondered what the Big Leauge Chew chocolate candy bar tasted like....
    #16
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    • Joined: 2003/12/15 09:33:00
    • Location: Bronxville, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 14:19:30 (permalink)
    I in no way blame food companies for producing this or any other product that people want to pay for, nor did I make any implication thereof in my post. They're just doing their job and responding to demand (which maybe they created via advertising -- if so good for them for serving their shareholders/owners).

    And good for you for being a skinny kid eating your vegetables. But that doesn't change the fact that everything on your list except for the Doritos is loaded with sugar/hfcs and has an ingredient list that looks like an inventory roster at a Dupont warehouse.

    Those that want to consume any or all of this stuff are more that welcome to -- no one's business but their own. And i've no doubt that your list of favorites -- all factory made and all but one toothachingly sweet and highly caloric -- is fairly represntative of much of the country. As is chronic and growing obesity.

    And unless you're a moderator, I don't believe I require instructions as to whose posts to respond to.


    #17
    KIMMYJ1962
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    • Joined: 2006/02/03 10:20:00
    • Location: Flint, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/24 14:45:25 (permalink)
    Foxy,
    I would be willing to send you pudding pies if you would like. If so, email me and we can work it out.
    #18
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
    • Location: Any City, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 10:33:54 (permalink)
    RJB:

    Just to clarify...I wasn't "giving you instructions" on whose posts to respond to, I was just simply suggesting that this post was created for a friendly exchange of what foods people enjoyed from the 80s...not a discussion on why kids and adults are fat in america or what the fat/preservative etc content is of those foods...

    And just one more thing and then i'm done with arguing over something so trivial: I acknowledged the fact that the foods in my original post we not good for me...but the point of the post was to share my memories of foods from the 80s. That's it.

    #19
    nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    • Joined: 2007/07/24 12:33:00
    • Location: Laconia, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 12:32:45 (permalink)
    Great topic. I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, so I may in error mention something from the 70's-sorry.

    Does anyone remember Chocodiles? "It takes a while to eat a chocodile". They were similar to taking a twinkee and putting a hard chocolate shell on it-yummy.

    Candy Cigarettes- I know they are not pc so please don't preach. I used to get them a lot and never smoked a day in my life.

    Reggie Bars-did not last long but being a Yankee fan of course I loved these.

    Fun Dip- Where you got those two white "sticks" and dipped them in the flavored powder.

    Bottle Caps, Ring Pops, the ice cream shaped like a rocket-rocket pop maybe?

    I know there is more I will try and remember.

    #20
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2007/05/15 16:31:00
    • Location: Any City, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 14:13:56 (permalink)
    Nicole thanks for the great post!

    I loved those rocket pops as a kid..although they were always too big for me to finish...they still have them around today.

    I agree with you on candy cigarettes...although not pc (and they didn't taste very good) I remember them and haven't smoked a day in my life as well. I remember chocolate cigarettes...my friends and I used to move the paper so the end looked like ashes! I think back in the 80s, while there was a huge campaign for the "war on drugs" there weren't nearly as many "smoking is horrible for you" commercials out there as there are today...although my mother hated when I ate the candy or the chocolate ones...and now I see her point.

    Its funny that you mentioned Chocodiles because I was just searching on google for hostess pudding pies and those came up as a "substitute" for them...they still sell chocodiles in some parts of the country I guess.

    Fun Dip and Ring Pops (to the best of my knowledge) are still available as well..I loved Ring Pops..as well as Push Pops! I also remember the Flintstones sherbert pops that worked in a similar way to push pops...those were great!
    #21
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 14:18:24 (permalink)

    Shasta and Fresca Soda pop.

    We still have Squirt here in the Safeway. In fact, when Aunts and Uncles come over for a visit I mix up "the house drink", which is a Whiskey Sour made with Jim Beam and Squirt, and of course a marachino cherry.

    This was my Dad's favorite drink throughout the 70's and 80's, so it is always our little tribute to him at get-togethers.

    #22
    nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    • Joined: 2007/07/24 12:33:00
    • Location: Laconia, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 15:13:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

    Nicole thanks for the great post!

    I loved those rocket pops as a kid..although they were always too big for me to finish...they still have them around today.

    I agree with you on candy cigarettes...although not pc (and they didn't taste very good) I remember them and haven't smoked a day in my life as well. I remember chocolate cigarettes...my friends and I used to move the paper so the end looked like ashes! I think back in the 80s, while there was a huge campaign for the "war on drugs" there weren't nearly as many "smoking is horrible for you" commercials out there as there are today...although my mother hated when I ate the candy or the chocolate ones...and now I see her point.

    Its funny that you mentioned Chocodiles because I was just searching on google for hostess pudding pies and those came up as a "substitute" for them...they still sell chocodiles in some parts of the country I guess.

    Fun Dip and Ring Pops (to the best of my knowledge) are still available as well..I loved Ring Pops..as well as Push Pops! I also remember the Flintstones sherbert pops that worked in a similar way to push pops...those were great!


    Foxy-you made my day! I am going to order some chocodiles- I haven't had them in over 15 years!
    #23
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    • Joined: 2004/03/13 11:57:00
    • Location: Annapolis, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 16:07:42 (permalink)
    Ok, once again I will be villified, Mr. Hoffman, please back me up. But what does this have to do with "Road" food. During the 70's and the 80's I was a cop in Baltimore. I ate at "Darley Lunch", "Sears Four Seasons", The "Blue Front" on Greenmonunt Ave. Sometimes, when I was lucky, one of the churches on my post would have a special fund raiseing dinner and I would buy the best fried chicken, cornbread, greens and bannana pudding that a person could want. Roadfood does not come from a factory it comes from the soul. Roadfood is not soda or the best cookies that you ever had. It should be about the best steak there is in Des Monies, the best crabcakes in Syrmna, De; where do I go to find a decent pizza in Yakima, Wa.?

    Perhaps we have lost our compass. The last time I looked there were no pictures on the opening page of cereal that we miss or soda that we no longer can get. The photograph shows us a picture of food prepared from a restaurant that we might like to go one day, where the waitstaff are friendly...someplacle sort of like Darley Lunch. Sorry for bringing in my ancillary comments.

    bb
    #24
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    • Joined: 2004/11/04 17:28:00
    • Location: Philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 16:40:56 (permalink)
    Stouffers used to make "Chicken Divan" and "Ham & Asparagus Bake" entrees and I enjoyed them both in the 80's... they also introduced me to pesto with their "Pesto and Linguini" entree...

    Can't find any of them anymore... I make my own pesto now, but miss the other two entrees...

    Campbell's had a "Cream of Chicken" soup from their "Home Cookin'" brand... it was one of my favorite comfort foods along with a grilled cheese sandwich... can't find this one anymore either...
    #25
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1354
    • Joined: 2004/10/08 10:28:00
    • Location: Jackson, MS
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 16:56:13 (permalink)
    A wonderful drink and candy store has opened in the Fondren area of Jackson. They carry many of the things mentioned above, plus rarely seen soft drinks.

    I was sooo happy to find he had Screaming Yellow Zonkers. Anybody else remember that? I have to limit myself to one bex per week.
    #26
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Joined: 2001/05/11 22:22:00
    • Location: Braintree, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 17:15:02 (permalink)
    I miss Summit candy bars. Some days, when I was a broke student, a Summit bar was the only thing I had to eat all day - but man, they were good.
    #27
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    • Joined: 2003/12/15 09:33:00
    • Location: Bronxville, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 17:15:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BakersBoy

    Ok, once again I will be villified, Mr. Hoffman, please back me up. But what does this have to do with "Road" food. During the 70's and the 80's I was a cop in Baltimore. I ate at "Darley Lunch", "Sears Four Seasons", The "Blue Front" on Greenmonunt Ave. Sometimes, when I was lucky, one of the churches on my post would have a special fund raiseing dinner and I would buy the best fried chicken, cornbread, greens and bannana pudding that a person could want. Roadfood does not come from a factory it comes from the soul. Roadfood is not soda or the best cookies that you ever had. It should be about the best steak there is in Des Monies, the best crabcakes in Syrmna, De; where do I go to find a decent pizza in Yakima, Wa.?

    Perhaps we have lost our compass. The last time I looked there were no pictures on the opening page of cereal that we miss or soda that we no longer can get. The photograph shows us a picture of food prepared from a restaurant that we might like to go one day, where the waitstaff are friendly...someplacle sort of like Darley Lunch. Sorry for bringing in my ancillary comments.

    bb

    My sentiments exactly. Mass produced candy with baby-talk names doesn't quite square with roadfood -- as least as I interpret it.
    #28
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    • Joined: 2003/10/14 14:56:00
    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 17:20:16 (permalink)
    Think this summer heat is getting on alot of folks nerves... (myself included)..
    #29
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
    • Status: offline
    RE: Favorite Foods from the 80s! 2007/07/25 21:41:23 (permalink)
    My favorite foods from the eighties --let"s see--that would be the turkey artichoke salad from the Charles Dickens in Aptos Ca---the 7 course Basque dinners from the Hotel Espana in San Francisco--Fishewrman"s Platter from Stagnaro's on the peir in Santa Cruz----whats that--oh--Favorite JUNK food from the eighties--probably the same one it is today--Milky Ways and Mounds
    #30
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1