The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Tue, 05/27/03 9:42 PM (permalink)
There's nothing like that first taste of a really sweet and creamy home-made Root Beer. Sometimes A & W hits the spot, just as often it tastes a little "off". Where is your favorite place for an ice cold mug?

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
    RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Tue, 05/27/03 9:57 PM (permalink)
    signman previously suggested Prince of Hamburgers in Dallas as a great place for Root Beer, and I tried it last week. It was FANTASTIC!!

Where else around this country one can find some good ol' "made in the restaurant" root beers?

Michael Stern

RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 5:03 AM (permalink)
      I love the root beer (served in frosted mugs, of course) at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=19']The Sycamore[/url]. And the Dagwood burgers are superb!

Michael Stern

RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 5:09 AM (permalink)
        Oh, and there's none better than Mug 'N' Bun in Indianapolis. (That's a tenderloin in the foreground, and a carhop in the background):

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 11:52 AM (permalink)
          Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora, Il makes their own rootbeer which is even better with Oberwies butter rich ice cream in a float.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
            RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 1:23 PM (permalink)
            The Root Beer Stand, north of Cincinnati in Sharonville. It's the first Roadfood place I've ever been able to coax coworkers to. Terrific Root Beer, with herbal and even floral overtones. Available for takeout in half-gallon or gallon jugs. Great footlong hot dogs (and I mean a regulation 12 inches!) available any number of ways. Especially (sound of "Jaws" theme) The TimmyDog: a footlong with ketchup, mustard, onion, chili, cheese, coleslaw, sauerkraut, relish, and hot sauce. I'm not that big an eater. But my coworker looooooooves it....

signman

RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 1:34 PM (permalink)
              Michael, you nailed it with that photo from Mug N Bun. Was in Indianapolis last week just prior to the 500 and that was my first stop from the airport. I actually prefer my RB over ice, but only if it's the tiny little nuggets of what I call nut ice, which Mug N Bun has. Also good are the small thin flakes -- both absorb the soda.

signman

RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 1:40 PM (permalink)
                Just thought I'd list in no particular order a few of my favorite places in addition to Mug N Bun.

Prince of Hamburgers - Dallas, TX (stick to the Root Beer)
                Coits - Oklahoma City
                A & W - Boulder City, NV (sweet and creamy the way I like it)

What's yours??

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                  RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Wed, 05/28/03 3:49 PM (permalink)
                  Here in Fresno, the Bulldog Brewery does a pretty good rootbeer (along with their regular beers), but the food and the service leave something to be desired..luckily, their rootbeer is available in local grocery stores.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                    RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Fri, 06/20/03 8:22 AM (permalink)
                    We bought some bottled Berghoff root beer recently. I'd forgotten how wonderful that was. I'm sure they don't make it at the restaurant anymore, but they still serve it there, and it's delicious.

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
                      RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Fri, 06/20/03 9:52 AM (permalink)
                      I'm with Michael, The Sycamore's Root Beer is terrific. As far as I can tell, it's the only place in Southern CT with their own brew...

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
                        RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Fri, 06/20/03 11:36 AM (permalink)
                        The Ram ( 2 locations in the Chicagoland area) makes great homemade rootbeer, cream soda and beer ( the heffenweizen is awesome).

ParadiseMissouri

• Total Posts: 4
                          RE: Favorite Home Made Root Beer Stand Sat, 07/19/03 7:39 AM (permalink)
                          Carl's, on Manchester Road just west of St. Louis, has always made its own root beer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com