Helpful ReplyHot!Favorite Homemade Sandwiches

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/21 14:09:15 (permalink)
I have eaten pretty much all of the mentioned foods. When I was growing up in Chicago I had a Jewish friend in school who's mother used to make chopped liver and we would spread that on small slices of rye bread and pretty much scarf down whatever we could get our hands on. 
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/21 14:39:51 (permalink)
Greymo

I would have to disagree about headcheese being the same>  My grandmother made it all the time and it is chopped upand cooked "pig Parts" in vinegar-flavored gelatin.  She always put it into bread pans to set.  It would then be sliced and put on lettuce leaves and eaten with buttered rye bread or else put into a sandwich.  I loved it and still do but have never found any to compare to hers.
Sorry...I didn't mean to imply they were all the same...actually the recipe your grandmother made is called "souse" because of the vinegar base...similar to head cheese and that's why I put them together. I love all the versions and never have to worry about my wife raiding the fridge.

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/21 14:42:26 (permalink)
brisketboy

I have eaten pretty much all of the mentioned foods. When I was growing up in Chicago I had a Jewish friend in school who's mother used to make chopped liver and we would spread that on small slices of rye bread and pretty much scarf down whatever we could get our hands on. 
Same here...I had a girlfriend from Skokie and was introduced to all her wonderful family food. Not so fond of gefilte fish, though.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/21 15:02:28 (permalink)
What I truly enjoy about this site is the wide diversity of taste and experiences. I may have mentioned this before but I grew up in and area of Chicago that was home to all manner of ethnicity. As kids we all went to the same schools and all had many friends and grew up eating foods from all over eastern and western Europe. Which is probably why I have never balked at trying something new. I echo your sentiments about gefilte fish Pancho. Not sure what they were trying to achieve there. But now the matzo ball soup....!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/21 15:06:55 (permalink)
Pancho

Greymo

I would have to disagree about headcheese being the same>  My grandmother made it all the time and it is chopped upand cooked "pig Parts" in vinegar-flavored gelatin.  She always put it into bread pans to set.  It would then be sliced and put on lettuce leaves and eaten with buttered rye bread or else put into a sandwich.  I loved it and still do but have never found any to compare to hers.
Sorry...I didn't mean to imply they were all the same...actually the recipe your grandmother made is called "souse" because of the vinegar base...similar to head cheese and that's why I put them together. I love all the versions and never have to worry about my wife raiding the fridge.

My grandmother came from the Ukraine and it was known as Hog's Head Drahli  (sorry that I could not put it into the Ukrainian spelling) .  We did not know it as souse.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/21 15:17:29 (permalink)
Greymo

Pancho

Greymo

My grandmother came from the Ukraine and it was known as Hog's Head Drahli  (sorry that I could not put it into the Ukrainian spelling) .  We did not know it as souse.
Pretty much a Ukranian version and German verison. Same animal involved.

blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 08:18:10 (permalink)
Publix carries boar's head cheese I could never bring myself to even try it I tend to gag even when I look at it in the deli case plus I do not see many people buying it.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 09:20:58 (permalink)
blue heaven

Publix carries boar's head cheese I could never bring myself to even try it I tend to gag even when I look at it in the deli case plus I do not see many people buying it.
That would be Boar's Head head cheese.I remember years ago wondering what head cheese would be like if I heated some up in the frying pan....duh. The gelatin that holds it together dissolved and all I had was a pan of pig parts. My dog sure enjoyed it, though!

fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 793
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 09:22:11 (permalink)
blue heaven

Boar's Head is a brand name, not what it is made of! I's actually a good product.

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 10:13:31 (permalink)
fishtaco

blue heaven

Boar's Head is a brand name, not what it is made of! I's actually a good product.
Agreed it is a brand name and they make a good product, one of them being head cheese....trust me, there are lots of other head pig scraps in it besides the tongue. So, aptly named in this case if a bit redundant.
http://boarshead.com/prod...303-head-cheese-square

post edited by Pancho - 2014/02/22 10:17:11
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 11:54:58 (permalink)
A long-time local meat processor  makes head cheese and a similar product, jellied beef loaf -- which is something that has been in groceries around here forever.  They won several medals in an IFFA competition in Germany in 2010, including a gold for both head cheese and beef loaf.

Here is a little mention of the awards, and looking at their "product information" will provide an expandable picture of the beef loaf.  But for some reason they have no picture of the head cheese.

I'm intrigued by the beef loaf -- bought a package one time, but never got around to trying it.  I don't think it looks that appetizing, but surely more so than head cheese!

http://bakalarssausage.com/

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 17:48:14 (permalink)
When I lived in the north of France, my neighbors raised a pig every year.......they were 2 elderly folks so with one pig, that gave them enough pork and lard (for pommes frites) for a year.  One year I helped them and we made head cheese.  They boiled the head and picked out all the meat, mixed it with salt and pepper, chopped shallots, garlic and parsley, put it into bowls and poured the cooking liquid on to cover.  I don't recall them using the tongue.  But it was delicious on a piece of baguette with some Dijon mustard.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5068
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 18:07:11 (permalink)
That sounds sooooooooooo good!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 18:07:43 (permalink)
lleechef

When I lived in the north of France, my neighbors raised a pig every year.......they were 2 elderly folks so with one pig, that gave them enough pork and lard (for pommes frites) for a year.  One year I helped them and we made head cheese.  They boiled the head and picked out all the meat, mixed it with salt and pepper, chopped shallots, garlic and parsley, put it into bowls and poured the cooking liquid on to cover.  I don't recall them using the tongue.  But it was delicious on a piece of baguette with some Dijon mustard.
So it's basically just a terrine, right? I hate to say it, but I think most folks that have such an adverse reaction to it have never tried it.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 18:12:41 (permalink)
fishtaco

blue heaven

I totally agree. The Kroger stores in Dallas all have large Boar's Head deli counters.
I haven't had all their products but I love whatever I have had. I always use their (white) American cheese for my grilled cheese sandwiches and cheeseburgers. The girls at the store I frequent all know I like my American cheese sliced on #3 for a little thicker slice.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 18:29:12 (permalink)
Pancho

lleechef

So it's basically just a terrine, right? I hate to say it, but I think most folks that have such an adverse reaction to it have never tried it.

Right!  It's like a terrine.  The cooking liquid became the "binder" because of all the gelatin.
It was out of this world good!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/22 20:35:21 (permalink)
Peanut butter & Nutella on French or Italian Bread. Banana optional.
Gonna try it with Hershey's new version of Nutella next time.
Soon, now that I think about it!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 15:08:12 (permalink)
I'd say that my favorite sandwich I make myself would be pork roll, egg and cheese on what we in South Jersey call a kaiser roll, but North Jerseyans call a hard roll. Either way, it's very comforting and so quick to prepare. Sometimes I leave out the egg, in which case I usually add another slice of pork roll.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 408
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 15:46:14 (permalink)
Foodbme

Peanut butter & Nutella on French or Italian Bread. Banana optional.
Gonna try it with Hershey's new version of Nutella next time.
Soon, now that I think about it!

Peanut butter and Nutella on toast is good stuff, too!! 
Also, some good old leftover homemade meatloaf, with ketchup and yellow mustard on plain old white bread!

JayL
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 19:32:43 (permalink)
Our favorite sandwich to make is a bake & shark...a fried piece of seasoned shark stuffed into a fry bake (fried yeast bread).  Topped with lettuce, tomato, pepper sauce, shado beni sauce, tambran chutney, and maybe some fresh habanero peppers (red preferably) if the pepper sauce isn't hot enough. 

Now THAT'S a sandwich...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18387
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 19:36:57 (permalink)
You're making these in South Carolina?
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 22:53:37 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

LoL...yes
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 23:02:57 (permalink)
JayL

Michael Hoffman

LoL...yes

I've had in in the Caribbean, but I've never heard of any of that stuff here.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1650
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/24 23:35:55 (permalink)
harriet1954

I'd say that my favorite sandwich I make myself would be pork roll, egg and cheese on what we in South Jersey call a kaiser roll, but North Jerseyans call a hard roll. Either way, it's very comforting and so quick to prepare. Sometimes I leave out the egg, in which case I usually add another slice of pork roll.

Without the egg.a thing of beauty! Especially with the extra slice!

JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/25 09:01:21 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

JayL

Michael Hoffman

LoL...yes

I've had in in the Caribbean, but I've never heard of any of that stuff here.

We eat pizza too...and that's Eye-Tallian.

(my wife is Trinidadian)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/02/25 10:15:12 (permalink)
Ah, that explains it.
By the way, I've had it with barracuda, too. That was on Anguilla.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/03/09 18:28:54 (permalink)
Taco meat, sliced onions, & smoked cheddar.  Grill like a grilled cheese sandwich.  Salsa for dipping.
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/03/13 11:40:34 (permalink)
Homemade cheddar jack pimento cheese topped with shaved honey ham, red onion and kosher dill chips on grilled sourdough bread.

Creamy peanut butter and apple jelly topped with potato chips on Wonder Bread.

Beef bologna with mayo, mustard and potato chips on Wonder Bread.

Hamburger Club -- a traditional club sandwich made with hamburger patty instead of cold cuts
post edited by MellowRoast - 2014/03/19 18:58:46
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/03/13 12:44:03 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Ah, that explains it.
By the way, I've had it with barracuda, too. That was on Anguilla.

Everything is good on Anguilla, mon. Tis the best island in the Caribbean and, my favorite.
Ahh, I remember those great BBQ grilled lobster tails on Scilly Cay.
http://img3.photographers...22501/wm/pd1905923.jpg

tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
Re:Favorite Homemade Sandwiches 2014/03/18 00:16:37 (permalink)
Miracle Whip, lettuce, and American cheese slices on white

Bologna and ketchup on white

Those are the two staples of my childhood. I still eat them. Add some chips and milk and i'm good to go.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1