Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite Hot Sauce

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 105
dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 9:47 AM (permalink)
I keep a bottle of the red water around for the lightweights and ant control, theres a shelf on the fridge door with a large variaty of opened bottle, dave's insanity, a couple melindas, a few different el yuca, some blairs and of course the ultimate pure cap.
I just went and measured the pantry shelf where my backup bottles are, 22" deep and 5 or 6 bottles wide

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
    RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 10:15 AM (permalink)
    Jeez I can't believe people are dogging Tabasco so much. I like it, it's got a distinctive flavor that I can pick out blindfolded. I'll pick it anyday over Cholula.

That rooster bottle and Tabasco do it for me. Maybe it's ignorance.

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
      RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 11:14 AM (permalink)
      Tabasco....love the flavor, and the heat's about right
      for me.

Siracha is my favorite. I grew up with Texas Pete (made in
      North Carolina), but it's just not hot enough for me now.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
        RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 11:27 AM (permalink)
        My tastes change but for right now it's(not necessarily in order): Tennessee Sunshine(especially on oysters)
        Lasco Hot Pepper Sauce(from Jamacia, goes great w/mexican)
        Siesta Key Oyster Bar(house sauce, goes great w/ most anything, especially on BBQ chicken, ribs, pork)

Peachpie9

• Total Posts: 40
          RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 11:48 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by UncleVic

Vinegar based or not, Franks Red Hot Sauce for me! Great for omelets... If I'm making my wet burritos, time permitting I'll make my own sauce..

I like Frank’s too. It has a complex flavor in addition to the (moderate) heat. I like Tabasco for certain things. My husband puts two or three shakes of it atop the yolks of his over easy eggs.

quote:
          Originally posted by fpczyz

SrirachaMy all time favorite hot sauce .......... it's available in all the Asian markets here on the west coast and I hope soon at a neighborhood near you. For me, I don't leave home with out it!

Sriracha is made from sun ripen chilies which are ground into a smooth paste along with garlic and packaged in a convenient squeeze bottle. It is excellent in soups, sauces, pastas, pizzas, hot dogs, hamburgers, chowmein or on anything else to give it a delicious, spicy taste.

two variations of sample packs available for those who would like to try all of their different sauces. http://www.huyfong.com/frames/index.htm

This stuff is great. I use it frequently in the shrimp- or scallop-and-vegetable dishes I throw together for so many weeknight meals. I love the chili and garlic combination, though I almost always add more garlic. I didn't know Sriracha was a regional thing.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
            RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 11:55 AM (permalink)
            I've never had a hot sauce I didn't like....my top three would be...

1- Sriracha...use it on any and everything. Especially good in Pho.
            2- Dave's Temporary Insanity...good on everything.
            3- Franks...love the stuff.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
              I too have never met a hot sauce I didn't like.... well some of them I hated the next morning

for me and a vinegar based sauce is

Ed's Red, a local florida based sauce

as for other sauces

I look for a well blended sauce, I like the carribean flavors and heat

I try and make my own, when I can. I have some of Blair's 3,4, & 5 AM reserve, to really punch it up. nothing like 15 million scolville units to destroy your taste buds.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 1:23 PM (permalink)
                Cholula: http://www.cholula.com/

AND

That Sriracha above.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                  RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Thu, 09/14/06 1:34 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

Really? Wow, there's so many great sauces out there, I'm surprised people choose supermarket Frank's spicy vinegar as a favorite.

If favorite is the one I buy the most, then Frank's is my favorite.

There are many other hot sauces I love too. I haven't found a hot sauce shop in DC, but when I visit my hometown of Syracuse, NY, I usually pick up some new and/or interesting sauces at the Hot Shoppe. In addition, I pick up some unique bloody mary mixes, bbq sauces, mustards, and other bottled condiments. The place is insanely good.

TheHotPepper.com

• Total Posts: 322
                    RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Fri, 09/15/06 3:30 AM (permalink)
                    Blair's Jersey Death, Cape Fear Pepper Company's Red Savina Habanero Premium Hot Sauce, two goodies.

cheesybellybutton

• Total Posts: 84
                      RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Fri, 09/15/06 4:35 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by rjb

Scorned Woman. Its both the hottest and most flavorful sauce I've ever found.

That's a favourite in our house... though I still love Frank's for pizza and I put Cholula on just about everything. It's an expensive habit though, as I have to import them from the US!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                        RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Fri, 09/15/06 7:57 AM (permalink)
                        I love the Sriracha! I too get it at a local Asian market. Other favorites are all types of Melinda's, Cholula, and Carolina Road Kill. I don't think I've ever met a hot sauce I've truly hated!

Andrea

emmymom

• Total Posts: 94
                          RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Fri, 09/15/06 8:28 AM (permalink)
                          I have loved Sriracha ever since I first encountered it in a Vietnamese restaurant as a table condiment. It has a great sweetish, garlic taste along with its hot pepper kick. It's strong though - I gave bottles of it to my dad and brother and neither could tolerate it. I've had to search for it in the past - go to an Asian market or a special hot sauce emporium - but now my local Safeway carries it.

For everyday, Texas Pete is good and inexpensive and has a good balance of taste to heat. I find Tabasco to be all heat and not much other taste.
                          I like Cholula, too, for the same reason - it has good taste and interesting other spicing in addition to the chilies and has a "reasonable" degree of heat that doesn't obliterate the other tastes.

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
                            RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Fri, 09/15/06 6:58 PM (permalink)
                            I agree with Pure Cap, and those who have mentioned Dave's Insanity. I also like Pleasure and Pain, Pain and Suffering, and Wet Fzart.

Dave

mar52

• Total Posts: 7598
                              RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Fri, 09/15/06 11:57 PM (permalink)
                              I love Inner Beauty Real Hot and when they stopped making it I put a case of it away for my own use. I use it only on (don't laugh) Egg McMuffins. That way I will have it for a long, long time.

I have many customers that still ask for it, but so far no one has copied the recipe.

There is one that is supposed to be similar called Rasta Fire but I find the only similarities are the color and the shape of the bottle.

Has anyone tried 911? Nice flavor for a habanero sauce.

For a vinegary sauce I like the Aji Green.

Ring of Fire Original is also quite good. Almost a salsa.

It and Datl Do It Devil Drops are both good sellers.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Sat, 09/16/06 12:30 AM (permalink)
                                Believe it or not, I like "Emerils". I like "Crystal" too and "Sriracha" as well.
                                I think "Tabasco" is terrible stuff! "Frank's" would be good if it wasn't so salty.
                                I'm going to have to try 'Texas Pete's" after all the good things ya'll have said.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                  RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Sat, 09/16/06 5:12 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Bulldozer Rectangle

Jeez I can't believe people are dogging Tabasco so much. I like it, it's got a distinctive flavor that I can pick out blindfolded. I'll pick it anyday over Cholula.

That rooster bottle and Tabasco do it for me. Maybe it's ignorance.
                                  Or personal taste? There's no accounting for it you know.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                    RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                    I just said Tobasco because the original poster said "not Tobasco". But some dishes like mac & cheese and tuna casserole just need that dash of heat (and dry mustard for depth). My Mom always used Tobasco, so I do too. I think it may be one of those things that you kind of grow up with. I told a friend about adding a dsh of hot sauce and dry mustard to mac & cheese and she looked at me like I had grown a second head or something, but the dish is so BLAND without that little kick.

For wings, I prefer Frank's, but again, it's what I'm used to eating...

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
                                      RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                      It's Texas Pete for me. Love the flavor and I can tolerte the heat.

wrfc5

• Total Posts: 70
                                        RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 6:44 PM (permalink)
                                        Y'all should try Scorned Woman hot sauce (from MacBeth..."Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman...")

In my house we refer to her as "the woman" 'cause she ain't no lady!

Excellent, distinct flavor, though if Texas Pete is your idea of hot, best not to go here...more for folks who like Dave's Insanity Sauce, though not quite as hot as this.

The Scorned Woman flavored chips available on their website are also very good.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                          I love hot-but Scorned Woman was just too much for me...I love the Texas Pete...

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                            RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                            Well I really do like my own homemade sauce which is a variation of Melinda's XXX but if I'm buying a hot sauce, I love El Yucateco Verde which I can buy for around a buck at my local Hispanic market.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                              RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                              Re the Tabasco, I like it on eggs. Dave's Temporary Insanity Gourmet is good as well, and it will definitely clear your sinuses.

Andrea

Starlord

• Total Posts: 27
                                                RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                My favorite is Cholula. It has a great taste, and is not just bottled fire. When my wife and I had our hot dog stand, we would go through 2-3 bottles of Cholula each week. As with everything else on our menu, we conducted taste tests, and Cholula was the winner, hands down. Whether white, Hispanic, or Native American, if people wanted hot sauce on our dogs, Cholula was the one they would use, even when we had other brands there.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Mon, 09/18/06 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                                  i have heard Cholula mentioned several times-will buy on my next grocery outing.....

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                    • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Tue, 09/19/06 1:00 AM (permalink)
                                                    Taco Bell Fire Sauce

Good Flavor and a little heat, its great on just about everything so far.

Just wish I had a friend who still worked there, I need some more!!!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                      • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Tue, 09/19/06 1:11 AM (permalink)
                                                      To me Tabasco is vinegar with heat and very little taste other then vinegar. When using a hot sauce, which I do a lot, I want flavor and heat. But I no longer have to prove how macho I am by using pure cap or pure habanero sauces.

When I can find it I buy Cholula in 12oz bottles for the stove area and locally I can again get the 5oz bottle for the table. I need to acquire some of either the packets or the 1oz bottles for the car.

A couple years ago my local wal-mart quit carrying Cholula and I found it cheaper to buy what I needed over the 'net. Wal-MArt has gone back to carrying it.

MikeS.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                        RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Tue, 09/19/06 6:07 AM (permalink)
                                                        Cajunking mentioned Taco bell sauce-I have to agree...I always have a stash on hand.....

SurrealGourmet

• Total Posts: 93
                                                          • Location: St Louis, MO
                                                          RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Tue, 09/19/06 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                                          I like Scorned Woman as well. Even though people are ripping on Tabasco, I really really like their Habanero hot sauce...it has soooo much flavor.

Others I like are Pain is Good Jamaican Style

My favorite by far has to be Stubbs Wicked Chicken Wing Sauce....it's nothing like typical wing sauce and is excellent on ribs or pork tenderloin or whatever you want to put it on. Tons of black pepper in it...
                                                          [img]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/stubbsbbq_1915_457950[/img]

Acme

• Total Posts: 12
                                                            • Location: State College, PA
                                                            RE: Favorite Hot Sauce Tue, 09/19/06 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                                            Another vote here for Huy Fong's Sriracha sauce (aka Rooster sauce)

El Yucateco from Mexico is another favorite.

I like all hot sauces EXCEPT for tabasco and all those stupid trying to be cute named sauces (example Big Mama's Butt Blasting Insanity straight from hell sauce)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 105

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com