Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite Pig Product

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47
SharonTriv

• Total Posts: 44
RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 8:24 AM (permalink)
Pork roll is my fave for breakfast, with marinated pork tenderloin being my choice for dinner. Taylor pork roll is great, but if you can find Case's pork roll, even better!

Hillbilly--while in KC don't overlook Hayward's in Overland Park. Jack's Stack is pretty darn good too. I was a super Snead's fan when I lived in KC. Have fun piggin'

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 9:05 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:
    Originally posted by i95

Arteriosclerosis.

What kind of sauce do you reccomend?

A smokey, North Carolina, vinegar-based anticoagulant, if you please.

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
      RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 9:57 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Bacon, followed by baby backs, followed by ham on the bone.

Oh my God, how could I forget.....IOWA CHOPS, better than most steaks.

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
        RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 10:17 AM (permalink)
        I still can't decide!

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
          RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 10:18 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by SharonTriv

Pork roll is my fave for breakfast, with marinated pork tenderloin being my choice for dinner.
          I went to Case's web site but couldn't find any real info. What is a pork roll? From the pictures it's salami, from the recipes it's Spam--and I know that can't be right.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
            RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 11:16 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by i95

quote:

quote:
            Originally posted by i95

Arteriosclerosis.

Sort of like Lopressor au jus?

SharonTriv

RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 3:59 PM (permalink)
              I went to Case's web site but couldn't find any real info. What is a pork roll? From the pictures it's salami, from the recipes it's Spam--and I know that can't be right.

Rick F--I'm really not sure what is in pork roll--I'm really not sure I want to know. However, it's a breakfast meat that comes in pre-sliced rounds, or a roll (salami like) from which you can slice your own rounds. You fry pork roll in a little butter and it is great with eggs and toast. It also makes a fantastic breakfast sandwich with or without egg. Very salty and undoubtedly terrible for you. It's something that seems to be native to New Jersey and Eastern PA. I've never seen it on menus too far afield from that part of the world. I think you should order some and give it a try

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 4:05 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by SharonTriv I think you should order some and give it a try.
                Thanks, I probably will. And please note that I did NOT ask what's in it. Down here where nutria rat and armadillo appear on menus we know better than to inquire about such things.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                  RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 4:09 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

quote:
                  Originally posted by i95

quote:

quote:
                  Originally posted by i95

Arteriosclerosis.

Sort of like Lopressor au jus?

More like a tangy Cumadin.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                    RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 8:02 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

Pork roll is my fave for breakfast, with marinated pork tenderloin being my choice for dinner. Taylor pork roll is great, but if you can find Case's pork roll, even better!

Hillbilly--while in KC don't overlook Hayward's in Overland Park. Jack's Stack is pretty darn good too. I was a super Snead's fan when I lived in KC. Have fun piggin'

I was disappointed that "Sneed's" was closed Monday and Tuesday, so since I will be heading fro Milwaukee Monday afternoon, I walked over to "Jack's Stack" (the one in the old warehouse across the tracks from Union Staion and a block down from "Hereford Barn") from the Westin about 6:00 tonight. Upscale surroundings for a BBQ joint, but man, the food was good! I have been disappointed my last couple of visits to "Arthur Bryant'S" (after Arthur died), we don't like KC Masterpiece's sauce and weren't in the mood for the fast food atmosphere at "Gates), but after eating at "Jack's Stack I won't miss them. My KC BBQ in the future will be between "Sneed's" and "Jack's Stack". Incidentally, Zagat's puts "Jack's" at the top of their BBQ listings for KC. And they also have a strong steak & seafood menu, but I would pass them by for steak since the "Hereford Barn is about 100 yards away.

Hillbilly

RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 8:04 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

I was disappointed that "Sneed's" was closed Monday and Tuesday, so since I will be heading fro Milwaukee Monday afternoon, I walked over to "Jack's Stack" (the one in the old warehouse across the tracks from Union Staion and a block down from "Hereford Barn") from the Westin about 6:00 tonight. Upscale surroundings for a BBQ joint, but man, the food was good! I have been disappointed my last couple of visits to "Arthur Bryant'S" (after Arthur died), we don't like KC Masterpiece's sauce and weren't in the mood for the fast food atmosphere at "Gates), but after eating at "Jack's Stack" I won't miss them. My KC BBQ in the future will be between "Sneed's" and "Jack's Stack". Incidentally, Zagat's puts "Jack's" at the top of their BBQ listings for KC. And they also have a strong steak & seafood menu, but I would pass them by for steak since the "Hereford Barn is about 100 yards away.

BigGlenn

RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 8:42 PM (permalink)
                        PIG! Blow it's snout, wipe its butt and send it in! It's all Good!!!!

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                          RE: Favorite Pig Product Tue, 11/4/03 10:03 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by i95

Arteriosclerosis.

I love PIG too, but they do Squeal on ya

SharonTriv

RE: Favorite Pig Product Wed, 11/5/03 8:44 AM (permalink)
                            Hillbilly--

Glad to hear you liked Jack's Stack--yes, nice surroundings do not necessarily preclude the possibility of getting excellent Q. I liked their "Poor Russ" sandwich--small pieces of burnt ends from both pork and beef. Good sides too--especially the beans. Last time I was in KC I entered Jack's drawing to get some of their food shipped to me, and I won! (does that mean I'll never win the lottery now?) Anyway, I was thrilled to take delivery on their burnt ends, sausage and beans back home in PA Dutch country. Nothing like it around here.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                              RE: Favorite Pig Product Wed, 11/5/03 11:37 AM (permalink)
                              Sharon, couple of barabecue spots I know offer, if available, the (not necessarily burnt) but little ends, pieces, slivers, etc. which they refer to as "scraps". One offers a scrap sandwich and the other offers a scrap plate, both of which provide some of the most tasty meats you'll ever find.

Hillbilly

RE: Favorite Pig Product Wed, 11/5/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Liketoeat

Sharon, couple of barabecue spots I know offer, if available, the (not necessarily burnt) but little ends, pieces, slivers, etc. which they refer to as "scraps". One offers a scrap sandwich and the other offers a scrap plate, both of which provide some of the most tasty meats you'll ever find.
                                Wayne "Honey" Monk at North Carolina's "Lexington # 1" will serve you "Dark Brown" cue sliced or chopped if you ask. It isn't on the menu, so this is usually reserved for regulars. Heavy wood smoked taste since he cooks with coals from hickory wood fires.
                                Most BBQ houses have something equivalent, and it is seldom on the menu.
                                Incidentally, I usually buy a dozen or so bottles of the sauce when I stop at Lexington # 1, and then use it on pork I cook. It even works very nicely with pork roasts slow cooken in a crock pot.

Hillbilly

RE: Favorite Pig Product Wed, 11/5/03 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

Hillbilly--

Glad to hear you liked Jack's Stack--yes, nice surroundings do not necessarily preclude the possibility of getting excellent Q. I liked their "Poor Russ" sandwich--small pieces of burnt ends from both pork and beef. Good sides too--especially the beans. Last time I was in KC I entered Jack's drawing to get some of their food shipped to me, and I won! (does that mean I'll never win the lottery now?) Anyway, I was thrilled to take delivery on their burnt ends, sausage and beans back home in PA Dutch country. Nothing like it around here.

Yes, those were about the best bbq beans I have ever tasted!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com