The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite Summer Dish

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 75
Sundancer7

RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/27/03 8:28 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scbuzz

Seafarer-John,

I guess you really don't eat scuppernongs .... you basically suck the insides out and then spit out the seeds (I swallow the seeds though ). The outside skin is so thick that you are not about to eat it. I have a scuppernong vine at my house and they are the sweetest things you have ever tasted.

My father once made wine out of scuppernong's and to be honest, I have had vinegar that tasted better

Is the scuppernongs a fruit?

Maybe they don't grow in East TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
    RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/27/03 8:46 AM (permalink)
    Here in Florida, the summer seafood is just brimming. I enjoy a refreshing fish taco (made usually with grouper or mahi) from this little Mexican taqueria here in town. Follow that with a nice, icy Corona! Summer dessert to me is hitting the dumpy old ice cream shack on the other side of town and getting a simple root beer float.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/27/03 9:12 AM (permalink)
      I look forward all year for Texas Hill Country peaches! I've heard though, that most of this year's crop got wiped out by a late freeze.

Also love the shrimp boils! (Welcome, Lone Star.)

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
        RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 05/27/03 11:47 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by sauceman

Frog legs, fresh out of the pond, and pan-fried with only flour, oil, salt, and pepper.

Fred Sauceman
        Johnson City, Tennessee

Don't forget the Swamp Gravy, Fred.

kellymharrison

• Total Posts: 4
          RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 01/5/04 2:19 PM (permalink)
          hello

kellymharrison

RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 01/5/04 2:22 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
            Originally posted by sauceman

Frog legs, fresh out of the pond, and pan-fried with only flour, oil, salt, and pepper.

Fred Sauceman
            Johnson City, Tennessee

Don't forget the Swamp Gravy, Fred.

hello

kellymharrison

RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 01/5/04 2:29 PM (permalink)
              Sundancer7

Sundancer7

RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 01/5/04 2:38 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by kellymharrison

Sundancer7

Am I missing something?????

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                  RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 01/6/04 9:10 AM (permalink)
                  Two gizzards short of a bucket, I'd say.

Hello, Kellymharrison.

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
                    RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 01/6/04 9:23 PM (permalink)
                    Grilled pork tenderloin, grilled corn, grilled portabella mushrooms and blue cheese potato salad. And for dessert, a heapin’ bowl of Blue Bell Butter Pecan.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                      RE: Favorite Summer Dish Sun, 01/18/04 7:45 AM (permalink)
                      I've gotten used to having this salad pretty often through the summers, especially as more tomatoes arrive. Here are directions a friend shared to get me started. I just make one big platter for myself, and sometimes eat from it throughout the evening (keeping it cool in the refrigerator, between servings).

LYNNE'S TOMATO AND FRESH MOZZARELLA SALAD

My salad recipe is nothing to even THINK about! Buy some fresh mozzarella. If you have a Whole Foods or a good gourmet shop, they will probably have it. I get mine at our local natural foods co-op. It comes in small tubs of water and is dated for freshness. I like to have two balls of it to feed four or five folks. Each ball is about 3" in diameter.

I shred leaf lettuce onto individual plates. On that I arrange 3 fat slices of ripe, fresh tomato. I then place a nice sized slice of mozzarella on each tomato slice. Next, I sprinkle chopped fresh basil over all of this. The last step is to drizzle good quality olive oil over everything. I like to give it a sprinkle of salt and a grind or two of fresh black pepper.

This is a pretty traditional Italian salad, and usually is served with chunks of fresh Italian bread or focaccia, so one can soak up the tomato juice and olive oil that's left on the plate.

The unused cheese keeps as long as you rinse it off and give it fresh water to keep it moist. I never had much left over, though!

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                        RE: Favorite Summer Dish Mon, 04/19/04 9:56 AM (permalink)
                        My favorite summer dishes have to be vegetables fresh from the garden like creamed corn, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and little green onions.
                        Half runner green beans with new potatoes, fried okra and squash and canteloupe. It can't get much better than that kind of meal.

Alexander

• Total Posts: 164
                          RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 9:24 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Sundancer7

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by scbuzz

Seafarer-John,

I guess you really don't eat scuppernongs .... you basically suck the insides out and then spit out the seeds (I swallow the seeds though ). The outside skin is so thick that you are not about to eat it. I have a scuppernong vine at my house and they are the sweetest things you have ever tasted.

My father once made wine out of scuppernong's and to be honest, I have had vinegar that tasted better

Is the scuppernongs a fruit?

Maybe they don't grow in East TN

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

They are a grape, similar in taste to the Muscadine. They were (or are ) the grape used in making Virginia Dare wine.

They should grow in East Tenn., provided you plant them on an east-facing slope.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                            RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 10:18 AM (permalink)
                            Just found out that strawberries will be available tomorrow ( 4-21=04)
                            at our local strawberry farms. Can't wait. A sure sign that spring is really here and summer is on the way.

dixiebrave

• Total Posts: 57
                              RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 10:50 AM (permalink)
                              Everything listed here sounds wonderful! (except maybe the frog legs--but I'd be willing to try a bite...)
                              My favorite summer goodies would have to be:
                              vine-ripened tomatoes, crookneck squash, fried okra, fresh corn, butterbeans, cantaloupe, and fresh peaches.
                              Add a hunk of cornbread and some sweet tea and this could be summer Sunday dinner at my grandma's house!
                              The vidalia onions are in at our local stores, and pick your-own stawberry farms are up and running. Seeing as my thermometer at home yesterday hit 91 degrees!--I'd say summertime is here!

jettababs

• Total Posts: 222
                                RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                Classic Midwestern summer feast: sitting in the car at a drive-in on a humid day, eating juicy cheeseburgers with a slab of deep red tomato, crispy onion rings, and homemade root beer, listening to the oldies station, and watching the storms roll in as you finish a float.

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
                                  RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                  All sorts of salads, ice cream, fresh fruit (chilled!), grilled and barbequed dishes and lots and lots of iced drinks!

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
                                    RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                    Corn on the cob, all kinds: butter and sugar,yellow, silver queen (when I can find it), boiled a few minutes, with a touch of butter and salt...6 ears at a sitting. They are my weakness. striped bass that my neighbor caught on Cape Cod....grilled with slices of vidalia onion, fresh tomato and peppers , olive oil , s and p. any seafood. summer squash casserole with sugar, sauteed onion and bread crumbs. chicken marinated in italian dressing and grilled.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                                      RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                      My friend's father tought me the true meaning of summer: Sitting on the back porch with tomatos still warm from the garden, salt and pepper, and beer.

My father's thing was tomato and lettuce sandwiches, with mayo.

My mother's thing was fried ripe tomatos (floured, shallow fried) on buttered white toast.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                        RE: Favorite Summer Dish Tue, 04/20/04 9:46 PM (permalink)
                                        Small midwestern town USA.

One of our major employers was/is a trucking company. Every summer they would haul whatever down to Texas and haul watermelons back. The kids in town knew when a load would come in and grab a few from the trucks. The problem was, boys being boys, they would have to stomp more than they stole.

The solution was clever. The kids that were part time employees and neighbors of the trucking company's owner were enlisted to solve the problem. If you stole watermelons you would get in trouble. If there was a fresh load in town the procedure was to get the kids that worked for the trucking company to "steal" the melons. They would grab a few and not mess things up.

Stolen melons are sweeter than purchased melons. That is fact. Even kind of stolen melons are sweet. We would break the melons open on the picnic tables in the park and just dig in. No knives, forks, or spoons just hands.

That was a summer dish.

Cakes

john c

• Total Posts: 30
                                          RE: Favorite Summer Dish Wed, 04/28/04 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                          Tomato and onion sandwiches on white bread with mayo, salt, and pepper, washed down with ice-cold full-fat buttermilk.

Ice-cold watermelon, with a pinch of salt.

Honeydew and cantaloupe chunks with a squeeze of lime juice and a touch of ground black pepper.

Blackberry cobbler with whipped cream.

Sweet corn on the cob with butter and pepper.

Guacomole made with freshest ingredients, with chips and beer.

Grilled burgers, dogs, and brats.

Homemade peach or vanilla ice-cream, hand-cranked, and chilled to a soft (not rock hard) consistency.

Campfire-toasted marshmallows.

Shared swigs of cheap wine (Boone's Farm) from the bottle on a muggy summer evening, between tickling, kissing, and necking with your loved one, both clad in just T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops.

A fudgesicle outside in the raving heat of midafternoon.

A light, chilled pasta salad, al fresco, with warm dinner rolls, and chilled asparagus.

Now I'm hungry.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                            RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                            Fresh boiled shrimp,just caught today fried flounder,silver queen corn,cole slaw,cukes and tomaters,maybe Grouper or Mahi Mahi.Peach cobbler or homemade ice cream and hot hushpuppies!

wilewil

• Total Posts: 99
                                              RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                              Fresh tomato, bacon, and rat cheese (the wheel kind from the country store) sandwich with or without mayo. Maybe on toast? By the way Sundancer, they are especially good by Ocoee Lake.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                                RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                                lleechef,

We haven't heard from you. what is your favorite dish during your week of summer?

Cakes

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                                                  RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  Growing up on a farm had it's advantages...LOL. Fresh tomato sandwiches, corn on the cob, fresh string beans, baby onions & hot peppers.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                                    RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Cakes

lleechef,

We haven't heard from you. what is your favorite dish during your week of summer?

Cakes

I'll have you know we get MORE than a week of summer......some years we get TWO or THREE!!
                                                    I like to grill freshly caught King salmon and halibut, topped with a tomato-basil-chive beurre blanc, accompanied by fresh vegetables and a nice salad. My best friend and I go to a U-Pick farm and come back with all kinds of treasures: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, 6 different kinds of potatoes, cabbage, beets, green onions, turnips, Brussels sprouts, green beans, peas. I like to make a huge composed salad with grilled shrimp and champagne vinaigrette.
                                                    But the ultimate summer dish is simply sliced tomatoes from the garden,chiffonade of basil from the garden, perhaps a little fresh bocconcini, EVOO, salt and pepper. Unfortunately I cannot have the latter in Alaska Accompanied by a nice rare Ahi tuna steak.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                                      RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                                      Homemade fresh peach ice cream.

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
                                                        • Location: Knightstown, IN
                                                        RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                                        A plate filled with slices of sweet juicy tomatos, green peppers(unexplainablly called mangos here) and red onions. Just add salt and pepper and I'm all set. Also, string beans and potatoes, delicious.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                          • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                          RE: Favorite Summer Dish Thu, 04/29/04 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by lleechef
                                                          [br
                                                          the ultimate summer dish is simply sliced tomatoes from the garden,chiffonade of basil from the garden, perhaps a little fresh bocconcini, EVOO, salt and pepper.

absolutely without a doubt!!!!!ANYTHING on plate next to it is a feast!

Alexander

• Total Posts: 164
                                                            • Location: Columbia, SC
                                                            RE: Favorite Summer Dish Fri, 04/30/04 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                                            Summer - BBQ
                                                            Fall - BBQ
                                                            Winter - BBQ
                                                            Spring - BBQ

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 75

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com