Favorite Sushi

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/04/22 21:18:59 (permalink)
Great thread... I was at a bar mitzvah on Saturday night and they had a sushi bar. You can imagine where I was parked all evening!

Favorites would have to be Spider Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Tuna Sushi, and Unagi. The place we go to here in Maryland (San Sushi Too in Towson) also makes something called a Dynamite Roll which is a tuna roll that has some kind of sauce on top if it and then it's broiled. Amazing. They also do a few other rolls I have seen anywhere else like the Terp Roll which is a shrimp tempura roll topped with a creamy crab sauce.

Favorite places to have sushi would be San Sushi Too (Towson, MD), Madame Butterfly and Tokyo D Sushi (both Doylestown, PA), Pacific Rim (Cockeysville, MD).
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/04/22 22:43:31 (permalink)
I love Sushi, all but that sea urchin. I tasts like rancid library paste. Don't ask how I know the taste of library paste. The best places I have found here in San Diego are called "Ichi Bon" one in Hillcrest and the other in Pacific Beach. Rex in expensive, cool, San Diego!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4041
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/04/23 12:51:04 (permalink)
I've been going to a place called Sushi Studio here in Long Beach since they opened a year ago. It is definitely my favorite place. They make a fantastic octopus salad-----I always make sure and get an order of that, with just enough chilies and scallions in it to excite my taste buds. Yummy! They also make a garlic sauced albacore sashimi that is great.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/04/23 15:46:55 (permalink)
Just returned from San Francisco on Sunday. My last meal there was Saturday night at Niko Niko on O'farrell near Union Square. Excellent sushi! I had the fresh water eel (unighi), I perfer it to the saltwater eel. Also tried their california roll, very good. I had the bento box for my entre (salmon teriyaki and tempora), miso soup, salad, and green tea ice cream for dessert. A very good meal for $20. I might write a full report of my trip to SF later on if anyone is interested.
john c
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/04/28 10:16:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caiman

we can all go on about what sushi we like and don't like but the other sushi purists will agree with me on this one. a california roll is *not* sushi. why spend the extra money when you can get the same thing at red lobster: fake crab meat.

the best rule to follow is if a place cooks food there, it's not real sushi. a real sushi chef will not offer kobe steaks or something like that also. the chefs that are committed to the artform do nothing but sushi.

anyone in atlanta, go to MFSushiBar to see what it's really about. the owner has turned away fish in the past because he thought it wasn't of the best quality and he wouldn't serve it to his customers. if you'd like to see the website, just add a dot com to the end of the name.

Thanks for the tip, I will try it.

Sadly, my old fave, Sato's, changed management and sushi chefs, and I can no longer recommend it. However, my favorite chef is now working weekends at RuSan's in Marietta (Hwy 41).

I like everything except sweet shripm and octupus, but faves are unagi, anago, hamachi, shinko maki, spider roll, and (non-smoked) salmon.
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/05/26 19:49:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by vinelady

The salmon and Cream cheese, is the salmon smoked? I have seen the same thing listed as a Seattle Roll.

Yup. It's smoked.

We have it raw with cream cheese. It's actually good. Smoked doesn't fit in the whole sushi thing.
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/05/26 19:56:05 (permalink)
There's a great sushi place here in Mt Pleasant, SC.It's called Oriental Garden. My friend and I go there every Monday night to start our week off right. Tuna tataki and spider rolls are favorites. I love wasabi so much I think I'm gonna grow it!
Sue
MamaPoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/05/26 20:37:35 (permalink)
Call me a Philistine or a hick or not with it, but my Mama taught me not to eat fish bait! I have tried it. My steak is never too rare unless it is mooing, but raw fish just doesn't cut it for me!
RisaG
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/06/17 17:10:03 (permalink)
My favorites are:

Salmon roe
eel (cooked and served on top of the rice)
tuna
salmon

Lately my favorite place is Fujiyama in Mansfield, NJ - route 57. Delicious sushi. Very fresh. Slow service. Beautiful restaurant. Not the greatest location but who cares!

I had the Sushi/Sashimi Lunch and it came with 4 pc of sashimi - salmon, tuna, yellowtail and shrimp

The sushi was a whole tuna roll, california roll and 5 pieces of other sushi - tuna, salmon, eel, and 2 others.

The sashimi was very fresh and it was melting on my tongue. I was almost orgasmic.

Great and I didn't share any with hubby!

I have eaten in some great sushi restaurants in NYC (can't remember the names) and also a great one in Somerville, MA - can't remember name but it was one of the kiosks in the Japanese mall there. The Fujiyama meal definitely got high marks from me.

Try it and see what I mean. Incredible sushi.

RisaG
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/06/18 18:05:36 (permalink)
Just checked out Niko Niko recommended above. I've worked in S.F. for years and live nearby but never heard of it. It was as good and reasonably priced as Tristan Indiana says. As with most sushi places these days the chefs looked Mexican and the waitresses had Chinese accents.

Phil B. (Indiana native)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18483
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/06/18 19:43:57 (permalink)
I like mine well done.
rigoleto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/07/11 04:21:30 (permalink)
I like Tekka-Maki with maguro, wasabi and some finely chopped raw jalapeño, just to add bite.
I also like toro, whenever I can find it, slightly brushed with sake, and all sorts of sushi with clams or roes.
Nothing with Philadelpia cheese, though! YUCKKK!!! Whoever thought that hideous thing out?
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/07/11 13:52:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by vinelady

The salmon and Cream cheese, is the salmon smoked? I have seen the same thing listed as a Seattle Roll.

Yes, and some restaurants all it a "bagel roll" (natch).

quote:
Originally posted by jessicazee

I got an order of sea urchin one time accidentally when I said 'uni" instead of "unagi" (the eel.) Yeah, I just couldn't take it. Pinky glittering fish jelly.

Oh yeah. You . . . don't want to mix those up. lol

I'm with Lisa on the shrimp tempura roll. But I love Unagi and the "Philadelphia/Seattle/bagel" roll. Sometimes you get it with a bit of asparagus or cucumber or something to give it a little color.

Hubby and I have been experimenting with sushi construction. The long tedious part is cooling the rice. And it takes practice to roll it properly tight. But sooooooo good.

quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmetFavorites would have to be Spider Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Tuna Sushi, and Unagi. The place we go to here in Maryland (San Sushi Too in Towson) also makes something called a Dynamite Roll which is a tuna roll that has some kind of sauce on top if it and then it's broiled. Amazing. They also do a few other rolls I have seen anywhere else like the Terp Roll which is a shrimp tempura roll topped with a creamy crab sauce.

Favorite places to have sushi would be San Sushi Too (Towson, MD), Madame Butterfly and Tokyo D Sushi (both Doylestown, PA), Pacific Rim (Cockeysville, MD).

Pacific Rim is . . . well, it's had sort of varying quality. Have you tried Edo Sushi in the Padonia shopping center? It's the Mars shopping center about a block southeast of Pacific Rim. Really fantastic.

We like San Sushi Too in Towson, but the Orient down the street is very good, as well. (And has a nice Chinese selection for my five-year-old.) Of course, San Sushi Too is attached to Thai One On. (Groaaaan.) So it has a mix of things, as well.

Great thread!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/07/11 18:15:56 (permalink)
Well, I'm no sushi expert 'cause I just don't do raw fish (even though I lived in Japan for over a year--or maybe BECAUSE of that). But I LOVE oshinko maki (pickled daikon in a maki roll). Sometimes make a meal of a combo of this and kappa maki (similar but with cucumber)--with enough wasabi to open my sinuses.

Usually get it at Isobune or Mifune on Post St. in SF's Japantown.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/07/11 18:27:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caiman

we can all go on about what sushi we like and don't like but the other sushi purists will agree with me on this one. a california roll is *not* sushi. why spend the extra money when you can get the same thing at red lobster: fake crab meat.

the best rule to follow is if a place cooks food there, it's not real sushi. a real sushi chef will not offer kobe steaks or something like that also. the chefs that are committed to the artform do nothing but sushi.

anyone in atlanta, go to MFSushiBar to see what it's really about. the owner has turned away fish in the past because he thought it wasn't of the best quality and he wouldn't serve it to his customers. if you'd like to see the website, just add a dot com to the end of the name.

Sorry, but I have to offer major disagreement. First of all, I believe the Japanese invented "fake crab meat" (surimi) and they certainly eat a lot of it so it makes sense they'd use it in sushi.

Second, while you are correct that a qualified sushi chef only does sushi (because learning to do sushi right takes enough training and skill that it would be wasted having someone properly trained do other things), that doesn't mean you can't have other chefs offer other foods under the same roof and here on the Pacific Rim many places do.
Jennie
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/07/22 23:05:39 (permalink)
You realize, BT, of course, that there are sushi varieties beyond daikon radish that don't involve raw fish. . . right? Smoked salmon is at least smoked. And do they do tempura sushi in Japan, or is that an Americanism? There's also the scrambled egg kind, of course. But I've found that kinda weird. I likes my eggses warm. Nice egggses. (Sorry. Gollum moment.)
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4041
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/07/23 14:49:52 (permalink)
The eel in sushi is broiled.....tuna and albacore tataki is seared....I think it seems to be more the presentation style that's the criteria these days.
Copper Top
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/08/26 13:10:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by EdSails

I'll add a vote for sweet shrimp--------truly a variety of tastes and textures and absolutely delicious. And for those naysayers on uni (sea urchin)-----if you find a place that has the urchins live, try it-----it's taste is very different from the stuff they get out of the box. Other fasvorites include albacore tataki. and don't forget the sake!

I'm willing to try the places with the fresh uni. Where do you go to get it?

-Yumbo (Seattle WA)

Yumbo, if you live in Seattle you can go to Uwajiyama and buy many sashimi grade fish. I'm sure they sell uni too. They are pricey but worth it. When I was living in Redmond, Uwa was the only place we bought fish from. Seemed like it was the only asian place there was.

Here in Calif. we discovered Korean markets that do sell them and is cheaper than buying it at any Japanese market. Every Friday night is our special night and I always make chirashi for the family. I've perfected my sushi rice and cutting technique.

boulderben
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/10/21 19:16:54 (permalink)
Amaebi (sweet shrimp) and toro (fatty tuna). One of theese days i'll have the courage to try uni.
Jennie
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/10/30 11:19:40 (permalink)
Ooh, hubby phoned me from Chicago last night, where he's staying this week on business. They went to an all-you-can-eat sushi and sashimi place. He said it was fantastic, but didn't mention the name of it, unfortunately.
sayscalled
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/12/07 23:38:54 (permalink)
Sushi has to be my all-time favorite food, to the effect of 'If I was stuck with only one food to eat the rest of my life', sushi would be it. I can't really discriminate between pieces to choose any 'favorites', I like all kinds. In fact, since I moved down near my dad, I've gotten him into a sushi-eating habit to the point where we share a platter of the stuff at least once a month. My step-mother, however, prefers sashimi, pure raw fish. Still, she can eat it the same way I can. Our favorite sushi/sashimi place has to be Nippon Grill in Tequesta, FL.
elswinger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Favorite Sushi 2004/12/08 13:44:16 (permalink)
There are three rolls I always buy when trying out a new sushi place.

#3 Salmon Skin Roll

#2 Shrimp Tempura Roll

and my #1

A Rainbow Roll

The traditional Rainbow Roll is economical because, not only do I get to a California Roll, but it is wrapped in Sashimi (Tuna, Yellow Tail, Salmon, and Shrimp) and Avocado, so I can see how fresh their fish is too.

BTW, my favorite Sushi places in Seattle use real crab (Kani) in their California Rolls.

Honorable mention: Ami Ebi (raw shrimp) because I like the deep fried shrimp heads.
Richard Brooks Alba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/01/10 18:38:29 (permalink)
Oh, how I love the unagi! And toro is very tasty, too. But the truth is, sometimes all I need is the wasabi rush - whether it's the real deal wasabi, or just the horseradish-in-green-drag. But it's nearly all worth a hearty "Domo arigato gozaimas'!" when offered....
Buen provecho,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA
Jennie
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/01/13 20:53:32 (permalink)
A few months ago I took my 18 month old son to Miyako, a Japanese restaurant west of Frederick, Maryland. Just the two of us. It was at lunch time, and the two of us sat at the sushi bar, him in his high chair. The staff made such a fuss over him, giving him orange slices and chatting at him. The chef even made him a custom fried sushi roll. However, I found that it was a tuna roll that was really rather spicy! " /> However, he adored my unagi. It's sweet, you see. I ended up giving him 1 1/2 of my two unagi. lol The salmon/cream cheese one he sort of picked at and disassembled. But he loved the sweet fish. The staff couldn't get enough of him.

This is him: http://jennie.8k.com/photo2.html
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/01/18 12:19:33 (permalink)
Spicy albacore roll (albacore with green onions and hot bean or chili paste) and then coated on the outside with smelt row.
Super white tuna is my current addiction.
I'm with other posters who say "if I had to pick one type of food. . . "
If you're ever in Charleston, WV, Fuji Express is the place to be. I always go to the best sushi place I can find when traveling and have never topped Fuji's.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/01/20 03:46:52 (permalink)
I am looking for suggestions for sushi in the Piscataway NJ area....I am new to the area & need some insight
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/01/20 11:39:46 (permalink)
Hokkigai, aka surf clam. As served at the now-closed Sushisay on 51st St. in NY.

"No work today, Sushisay"
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/02/15 09:41:05 (permalink)
Where I come from we call that bait Sorry just had to say that. I'm not adventurous when it comes to foods - I tend to eat the same things over and over again and if I didn't grow up eating it I have a hard time convincing myself to try it. I like the california rolls just fine, but I can't bring myself to eat sushi. The only thing I have tried was some type of eel (it was cooked) and the spicy tuna roll. The eel was fine but the tuna roll, while it tasted good I just couldn't get over the fact that I was eating raw fish. My kids however, love Sushi and will eat anything on the menu.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/03/02 18:58:07 (permalink)
I know Japanese, and its not pronounced sushi in japanese, its pronunced osushi. just saying. i dont eat sushi.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Favorite Sushi 2005/03/02 19:01:47 (permalink)
‚æ‚­ŠmŽÀ‚È“ú–{‚̐H—Ƃ𓾂邱‚Æ‚ð“ú–{‚֍s‚«‚È‚³‚¢ ( what this means is go to japan to get some goodauthentic japanese food. dont terminate me because i am writing in japanese on here.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1