Favorite Topping!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 13:37:41 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

NYPIzzaNut

Pizzas without tomato sauce to me are an abomination, but I was raised on tomato sauce and cheese  pizza pies.

Gee, I was raised on some with sauce, some with crushed tomatoes, and some with no tomato product at all. 

But heck, what do they know about apizza in New Haven?

I guess it was because my momma was Polish and did not make pizzas at home - I can see my upbringing left an awful lot to be desired in terms of my overall appreciation of pizzas - I will go to my grave sorely lacking in pizza imagination sadly.
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 13:46:24 (permalink)
oh, i got it that it wasn't actual pierogi on the pizza - just the fillings that are normally in them!!!

as for tomato sauce - for me that's a BIG no as a topping for pierogi.  grew up using sour cream and to me, that's just the 'slavic' way to eat them. 

tomato sauce is basically 'italian' - so, that goes on ravioli (or any pasta).  i'd never consider using sour cream on ravioli as that wouldn't be the 'italian' way to do it. 

although, galumbki do have tomato sauce...so, i guess tomato sauce isn't entirely 'italian'.  putting it on pierogi just didn't interest ME at all!

i'm okay with white pizza's - have never really had a 'fantastic' one though.  the lack of the tomato sauce is what gets me, i guess. i really do love a good marinara!! and make my own (with a decent amount of garlic in it...lol, read that as a ton of it!) the white pies that i've had also didn't have enough cheese on them.

i was up in new england once for a vacation - did a lot of driving around and visited more than a few states to see the sites.  got sidetracked/lost and ended up in new hampshire - stopped to get directions and to eat.  that was one of the best pizza's i've had.  that was a 'regular' style pie - tomato sauce, mozz, pepperoni.  excellent crust - not to thick; not too thin and just chewy enough on the inside while being crusty on the outside.

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 13:55:32 (permalink)
Mine is either Pepperoni or Bacon....or maybe extra cheese!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 13:58:07 (permalink)
joclyn

oh, i got it that it wasn't actual pierogi on the pizza - just the fillings that are normally in them!!!

as for tomato sauce - for me that's a BIG no as a topping for pierogi.  grew up using sour cream and to me, that's just the 'slavic' way to eat them. 

tomato sauce is basically 'italian' - so, that goes on ravioli (or any pasta).  i'd never consider using sour cream on ravioli as that wouldn't be the 'italian' way to do it. 

although, galumbki do have tomato sauce...so, i guess tomato sauce isn't entirely 'italian'.  putting it on pierogi just didn't interest ME at all!

i'm okay with white pizza's - have never really had a 'fantastic' one though.  the lack of the tomato sauce is what gets me, i guess. i really do love a good marinara!! and make my own (with a decent amount of garlic in it...lol, read that as a ton of it!) the white pies that i've had also didn't have enough cheese on them.

i was up in new england once for a vacation - did a lot of driving around and visited more than a few states to see the sites.  got sidetracked/lost and ended up in new hampshire - stopped to get directions and to eat.  that was one of the best pizza's i've had.  that was a 'regular' style pie - tomato sauce, mozz, pepperoni.  excellent crust - not to thick; not too thin and just chewy enough on the inside while being crusty on the outside.

Did you ask where the owner learned how to make pizzas?

I believe tomatoes and sauces from them originated in Peru with the Aztecs.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2010/01/20 14:24:56
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 13:59:30 (permalink)
Soccer862923

Mine is either Pepperoni or Bacon....or maybe extra cheese!
I have always been of the opinion that a good pizza is made with the right amount of cheese..and sauce..if not the pizza maker is cheating you..

Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 14:17:33 (permalink)
besides the aforementioned by everyone I love Hawaiian Portugese Sausage on mine.
bkk
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 14:19:33 (permalink)
Big Kahuna Kooks

besides the aforementioned by everyone I love Hawaiian Portugese Sausage on mine.
bkk

What makes the sausage Hawaiian?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18276
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 14:36:33 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Michael Hoffman

NYPIzzaNut

Pizzas without tomato sauce to me are an abomination, but I was raised on tomato sauce and cheese  pizza pies.

Gee, I was raised on some with sauce, some with crushed tomatoes, and some with no tomato product at all. 

I guess it was because my momma was Polish and did not make pizzas at home - I can see my upbringing left an awful lot to be desired in terms of my overall appreciation of pizzas - I will go to my grave sorely lacking in pizza imagination sadly.

Clearly.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 14:38:26 (permalink)
But happy.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 17:20:14 (permalink)
Too bad that you have never had a white pizza...............a real loss for someone who is a pizza nut!
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 17:54:35 (permalink)
nice thin sliced onions with even thinner slices of meatball and fresh garlic.......oohhh myy!!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6328
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 18:02:35 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

joclyn

There were no Aztecs in Peru.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 18:10:26 (permalink)
Greymo

Too bad that you have never had a white pizza...............a real loss for someone who is a pizza nut!
I have...not something I would wish to eat again..

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 18:16:42 (permalink)
Do you like Pizza with a Pesto Sauce?...Russ
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 18:18:15 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Do you like Pizza with a Pesto Sauce?...Russ

No
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 18:24:19 (permalink)
Davydd

NYPIzzaNut

joclyn

There were no Aztecs in Peru.

I meant to say tomatoes are thought to have originated in Peru and were "discovered"  being harvested by Aztecs in Central America by European explorers and brought back to and introduced into Europe by early explorers and conquerors:

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/features/vegetables/tomatoes/tomorigin/tomato%20origin.htm

I didn't want to take this thread off on a tangent with too much info but I should have been more clear - I will try do better in the future!" />

irishtom29
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 19:06:46 (permalink)

NYPIzzaNut

Not much if my experience is typical. Drove from Chicago to New Haven just to get a pizza. Went to Sally's and had a pizza inferior to Domino's----limp crust and sausuage and sauce that was bland and flavorless. The Sbarro's pizza we had at a rest stop on the Ohio Turnpike was better.

Big disappointment; those New Haven pizzas look so good in photos. Our's looked great too, then we started in on it, uh-oh.

post edited by irishtom29 - 2010/01/20 19:08:05
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7691
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 19:14:43 (permalink)
irishtom29

NYPIzzaNut

Not much if my experience is typical. Drove from Chicago to New Haven just to get a pizza. Went to Sally's and had a pizza inferior to Domino's----limp crust and sausuage and sauce that was bland and flavorless. The Sbarro's pizza we had at a rest stop on the Ohio Turnpike was better.

Big disappointment; those New Haven pizzas look so good in photos. Our's looked great too, then we started in on it, uh-oh.

I've never been to Sallys, but really enjoyed Pepe's the two times I visited, although frankly, even I wouldn't drive all the way to New Haven just to get a Pizza and I'm only 90 miles away in Rhode Island. Certainly a stop on a day trip to the area or passing through is well worth it.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 19:18:54 (permalink)
irishtom29

NYPIzzaNut

I have found the Sbarro's on the turnpikes are generally much better than the ones you find in the malls - there is really no comparison.

irishtom29
Junior Burger
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 19:22:43 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I've never been to Sallys, but really enjoyed Pepe's the two times I visited, although frankly, even I wouldn't drive all the way to New Haven just to get a Pizza and I'm only 90 miles away in Rhode Island. Certainly a stop on a day trip to the area or passing through is well worth it.

Well I've been known to drive all the way to Long Beach Mississippi to get a shrimp sandwich at the Cajun Crawfish Hut. :) And you can eat at Lambert's, the throwed rolls place, on the way down.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 19:29:41 (permalink)
You wouldn't drive 90 miles just to get a pizza?

When you live in the hinterlands of Ohio and you are from NY and have been away from there for what seems like a lifetime  you would do it in a heartbeat for a good pizza pie!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 19:52:07 (permalink)
Lamberts??   A real tourist trap.  I cannot imagine anyone sitting there enjoying their  bland meals and having  rolls trown at them.................too funny.                                                                                                                        
irishtom29
Junior Burger
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 20:05:48 (permalink)
Greymo

Lamberts??   A real tourist trap.  I cannot imagine anyone sitting there enjoying their  bland meals and having  rolls trown at them.................too funny.                                                                                                                        

Well you're just too cool for school.

I enjoyed the rib-eye steak and the sides too.  And the throwed rolls which were fresh and tasty.
post edited by irishtom29 - 2010/01/20 20:07:24
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18276
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 20:21:14 (permalink)
irishtom29

NYPIzzaNut

That's really funny -- in a sick sort of deep-dish way.
eddie57
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 22:18:05 (permalink)
Thats our favorite too Katiebrowne.............sooooooooooooooo good!!!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 22:58:09 (permalink)
The toppings don't matter much to me, other than I can't tolerate seafood so no anchovies, or shrimp, or clams, etc. What matters more is the overall taste and texture. I'll eat a great cheese slice, or a great loaded. I'll eat it deep dish, or thin crust, or fold-it crust. I'll eat Sicilian. I'll eat white, or Old Forge style, or Old World style. I'll eat pagache (potato pizza). I'll eat pitza, I'll eat apizza. But fergoodnesssake, do it right. Concentrate on quality, and get your ingredients to work together. And don't mistake quantity for quality; it's great that you can feed 4 people for $15, but if the pie sucks what's the point?
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/20 23:14:05 (permalink)
Last winter, I ate at Lambert's in Sikeston MO... never again. "Tourist trap" is the perfect description of that place with its mediocre, overpriced food, not to mention the lady on the keyboard and the guy announcing customer's birthdays over the P.A. system. What a joke! I couldn't get out of there fast enough. 
gregys
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/21 10:20:33 (permalink)
Generally I like enough or maybe a lot of red sauce. I don't like pizza with a solid
top. It should slide around a bit. I was looking at pizza pictures. I would say just by looking
at many, I would not like to try. Here is a picture of one of my favorites in northeastern Ohio, Capo's,

http://zekfrivolous.com/genevaselect/Fd801090.JPG

gregys
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/21 11:05:04 (permalink)
The pizza in the picture was sold by the slice. They have it done right, they slightly precook
a pizza and set it aside until its needed.When you order they take a slice and do the final cook.
Its going to burn your mouth, but its the only way to serve pizza fresh.

IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Favorite Topping! 2010/01/21 11:31:40 (permalink)
My favorite topping is pepperoni or sausage...can't decide between the two.  I also like mushrooms, olives, extra cheese, and chicken as toppings.  I like getting chicken pizzas like the Mexican Pizza from Z Pizza or the BBQ Chicken Pizza from a variety of places.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1