Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe???

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
2008/11/28 12:56:50 (permalink)

Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe???

As I'm sure many of you have, we have lots of leftover turkey...I'm sure we'll dupicate yersterdays feast today with all the leftovers...if we have more leftover meat...sometimes we make Turkey tetrazzini.....but does any one out there have some other cool meal to make with theeftovers??? Please post!

63 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 13:02:16 (permalink)
    We almost always make turkey tetrazzini, but another great option is Hot Browns. There are many recipes out there, but I prefer the ones made with Parmesan cheese.

Here's one recipe: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/HotBrownSandwich.htm
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 13:26:12 (permalink)
    I do like turkey but I can only take so much.
    I send as much of it home with others as I can pawn off.
    I do save a little for a turkey sandwich or an open faced hot turkey sandwich meal. Then I'm done.
    I do use the carcass for a soup, freeze that for latter use.
    Seen a guy this morning on a TV news show doing something with wonton wrappers and chopped turkey, and another with puff pastry. I'll pass.
    Chow Jim
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 14:38:50 (permalink)
    Make hash.

Freezes very well.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 15:57:05 (permalink)
    I make a bunch of small pot pies - I use all the leftover gravy, veggies, turkey, and toss in whatever else is needed, then freeze them.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 16:47:40 (permalink)
    BLT lots of bacon and tomato with turkey and lots of mayo, for 3 days.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8488
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 17:14:17 (permalink)
    This is a good one from Moms collection,to be served in a 13x9 pan:
    2 boxes Uncle Bens Wild rice mix, prepared according to directions
    1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    sliced turkey-white, dark or a mixture of both
    buttered bread crumbs
    Mix prepared wild rice with cr.of mushroom soup
    Layer half of wild rice mixture in bottom of pan
    Place sliced turkey covering wild rice mixture-be generous with turkey, overlapping is fine
    Cover with rest of wild rice mixture.
    Cover with buttered bread crumbs-cover with foil
    Bake, 350, for 45 minutes-uncover and bake until bread crumb topping is browned.
    A lovely addition to the bread crumb topping is slivered almonds-gives it a nice crunch.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 17:16:59 (permalink)
    Ann, I like that one....will try it!!!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8488
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 18:05:44 (permalink)
    Great, Lee. It really is a good one-especially for a crowd!
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 18:36:33 (permalink)
    We never really have that much left I try to scale the turkey size to no more then supper and following day's lunch. What else remains becomes turkey salad. I haven't done croquettes for a while, if there's enough left, I might consider that option. My dad used to like a turkey soup made from the carcass that I'd do in the pressure cooker. Haven't done that in a while either.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/28 21:51:47 (permalink)
    The sides and desserts make for tasty leftovers (ESPECIALLY the jelly cake my BIL's Mom made for me). However, we do not like turkey. I did not eat it yesterday, and I took none of it home.

Instead, we get a visit from the Prime Rib Fairy. I have been good this year (sorta ) and when I make sure to have horseradish in the house, the Prime Rib Fairy leaves us a nice treat. Something to do, because I refuse to leave my home, until all the Black Friday BS is done (for the most part) and people are not speeding around on the roads, so they can get their deals.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/29 00:43:37 (permalink)
    This one from Allrecipes.com is a favorite of ours. Go to www.Allrecipes.com, and copy/paste this into the search function:

Warm Greek Pita Sandwiches With Turkey and Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce

It is really good!

We are having our Thanksgiving tomorrow- the usual. Turkey, dressing (outside of the bird), mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, green beans w/ bacon, homemade rolls and for dessert- crumb topping apple pie w/ caramel and pecans, also homemade! I can't wait!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/11/29 12:13:54 (permalink)
    Buttered bread
    Turkey
    Stuffing
    Assemble starting with the turkey on the bread, then the stuffing on top of the turkey, finish with last slice of bread on top of stuffing.
    I call it a Turkey sandwich, approximate preperation time about 5 seconds! Ya gotta try this! Be careful to remember all the steps, 1 step left out will ruin the whole thing!

i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2008/12/01 20:31:04 (permalink)

TURKEY HASH and “IMPOSSIBLE TURKEY PIE”

Alright, here are two winners on the same linked page. I've many times used both recipes and either are perfectly suited for leftover turkey or chicken. They both also freeze well. (Both recipes are from the same "leftover turkey" heading on my far too often touted Arthur Schwartz's great collection of online recipes.)

One recipe is for Turkey Hash with an unbelievable anount of onions but boy does it turn out great. Think a sweetened (via the cooked-down, nearly carmelized onions) roast turkey. Four cups of cooked turkey or chicken.)

The other recipe is for what's called an "Impossible Turkey Pie" and is actually a, gulp, Bisquick recipe (" />) and the three pies I recently made of it all came out fantastic with Schwartz describing them as having "a texture somewhere between custard and mashed potatoes. It’s sort of quiche-y, sort of like a moist biscuit. If you love your stuffing and dressing, you will love an Impossible Pie." (Three pies = six cups of cooked turkey.)

Both recipes can be found[url='http://foodmaven.com/diary/archives/00000357.html']here[/url] and I'd certainly recommend that anyone print these out today to have in store for next Thanksgiving (which is a little more than eleven months away). FYI.

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 09:20:23 (permalink)
    I take leftover stuffing and turkey and form it into patties. Then grill it in a skillet with olive oil. Then serve it on toasted bread or hamburger bun with crushed red pepper and mayonnaise...Russ
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 09:45:42 (permalink)
    It's clearly Monica's Turkey Sandwich with signature Moistmaker:

Butter or mayonnaise
    3 slices white bread
    2 slices turkey
    2 slices stuffing
    1 tablespoon cranberry sauce
    Gravy

Spread butter or mayonnaise on two slices of bread and dip the other in gravy (this slice is the "moistmaker").

Place a slice of turkey on one slice of buttered bread and top with a slice of stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Place the gravy-dipped bread on top and then the other slices of turkey and stuffing. Finish with the other slice of bread.

Heat sandwich in the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoy.

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 10:02:49 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

It's clearly Monica's Turkey Sandwich with signature Moistmaker:

Butter or mayonnaise
    3 slices white bread
    2 slices turkey
    2 slices stuffing
    1 tablespoon cranberry sauce
    Gravy

Spread butter or mayonnaise on two slices of bread and dip the other in gravy (this slice is the "moistmaker").

Place a slice of turkey on one slice of buttered bread and top with a slice of stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Place the gravy-dipped bread on top and then the other slices of turkey and stuffing. Finish with the other slice of bread.

Heat sandwich in the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoy.

I've always loved this.  I add mashed potatoes as well.
    EatingTheRoad
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 12:05:03 (permalink)
    I've always loved this. I add mashed potatoes as well.

I actually like to fry a medallion of mashed potatoes and one of stuffing and throw that in there.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 12:38:05 (permalink)
    Turkey enchiladas, or make some homemade thick egg noodles for turkey and noodles.
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 13:18:39 (permalink)
    I do not have recipes as it is mummy that keeps the left overs and makes amazingly delicious foods.

The bestest (yes, i spelled it on purpose that way) is the turkey noodle soup. It is highly flavourful broth brimming with small chunks of turkey meat, little cubes of potato, carrot, and tender medium width egg noodles, or even the small ones are fine. We season ours wtih a touch of nutmeg.

Myself, I make turkey tertazzini if given some leftovers. The recipe is the from CIA (Culinary, not government). It is one the better recipes and quite simple, if not a bit on the more elegant side.
    EatingTheRoad
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 14:15:11 (permalink)
    The New York Times has a cool story on Sue Maden from Jamestown, RI. Each year she throws a big leftover Thanksgiving potluck meal on the Saturday afterward:
    http://www.nytimes.com/20..1/25/dining/25potl.html   
    twodales
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 16:24:14 (permalink)
    Kentucky Hot Brown (open face sandwich).  I'm looking forward to this come Friday.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/25 19:09:24 (permalink)
    Good suggestions, all.....I especially like the turkey sandwiches with stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Another good turkey sandwich is made with either Durkee's or a mix of mayo and horseradish, some leaf lettuce, on good white or wheat bread.

Turkey and thick homemade noodles, like the Amish pot pie noodles, are my favorite leftover turkey hot dish.....leftover broth or gravy, chopped onions, celery, and some carrots or green peas, and be sure to not leave out the bay leaves and the thyme or poultry seasoning when simmering.
    Bingo969
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/28 17:13:27 (permalink)
    I'm thinking I'll make some sort of turkey stew sort of contraption.

I have the turkey carcass bubbling away right now with some onions, celery, carrots and a green pepper. Threw in random fresh herbs and whatnot. Figure I'll strain that out for a stock.

Then throw it in the slow cooker along with the leftover turkey meat and maybe some redskin potatoes and a few other assorted whatnots and let that slowcook overnight. Maybe some corn too. I dunno. This sort of thing involves me heading to the fresh market down the street and just buying whatever hits me. :)
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/28 19:37:37 (permalink)
    One of  the favorites of the wife and I is  a bagel untoasted sliced open with cream cheese and then spread on some cranberry sauce and then the turkey. This makes for a fantastic sandwich!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/30 05:11:14 (permalink)
    As of Sunday, all gone.
    Had fried egg whites with turkey for breakfast, turkey salads for lunch.
    rainyday6
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/30 05:54:56 (permalink)
    I freeze some turkey in broth and use it for tacos.  Throw it in a pan with taco seasoning packet.

Most of it hehe I make a LOT of gravy and stash ziplocs of it + turkey in the freezer.  Nuke and add fork.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/30 07:50:24 (permalink)
    i95 Both recipes can be found[url='http://foodmaven.com/diary/archives/00000357.html']here[/url] and I'd certainly recommend that anyone print these out today to have in store for next Thanksgiving (which is a little more than eleven months away). FYI.

The above link, sadly, no longer works and as I'm making this very "leftover turkey" recipe this evening so I thought I would just paste said recipe here and as follows, FYI:

Peter's Turkey Hash
    Makes 3 or 4 servings

My friend's Yiddishe mamma would not have used butter. Butter and turkey cannot be combined in a kosher kitchen. Maybe she used chicken fat. If you keep kosher, you could use all oil, or oil and margarine. The turkey skin is essential to the flavor. If you have extra, beyond what is attached to the portion of bird being used for the recipe, use it.

4 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3 medium onions, chopped coarse
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 large clove garlic, chopped
    4 cups shredded turkey, including as much skin as possible
    1 cup drained, canned plum tomatoes, chopped
    Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil together. Sauté onions over medium heat until beginning to brown.
    Sprinkle on paprika and add garlic and turkey meat and skin. Continue to sauté until onions are very well browned. Some of them should be blackened.

Add the tomatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper and stir well. Cook 3 to 4 more minutes. Serve immediately with boiled rice or potatoes, as desired.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/30 11:58:10 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson

I take leftover stuffing and turkey and form it into patties. Then grill it in a skillet with olive oil. Then serve it on toasted bread or hamburger bun with crushed red pepper and mayonnaise...Russ

I usually make my stuffing with hot Italian sausage chunks so I would just nix the red pepper and will try this out - never thought of the concept - usually just have cold turkey and dressing sandwiches on Mennonite white and wheat bread, which in itself is heavenly.

Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Favorite Turkey Leftover recipe??? 2009/11/30 12:12:58 (permalink)
    Made a filling of leftovers: dressing (which includes sage sausage, celery, onions), some sauteed mushrooms with butter, oil and garlic, a few glazed pearl onions, white and dark meat.  Chopped ingredients so they were all about the same size, added gravy and turkey stock to moisten.  Made pie crust, cut into about 6" rounds, added a heaping spoonful of the mixture, folded over, crimped, cut steam holes and brushed with beaten egg.  30-35 mins at 375 degrees = leftover turnovers!  
    post edited by Ivyhouse - 2009/11/30 12:23:47
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1