Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2004/01/27 17:10:22 (permalink)

Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes

I figured that that if this forum existed.it would get used---at least i hope so. I am not a vegitarian but grew up Catholic which means i was meat free for least 40 dinners a year plus about 20 of 52 Fridays where we would forgo even fish. I am going off to gather some of my Npni,s great and will return--i promise! I'll show you my favorites if your show me yours!!

52 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 17:26:43 (permalink)
    I had eggplant parmesan at a veggie restaurant on High Street in Columbus, OH just north of the Ohio State University. I do not remember the name of the place but it has been there for years. I had this during my vegan period in the mid 70's. It was wonderful and I have never cooked eggplant before. If anyone has a recipe for this, I would appreciate it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 17:47:19 (permalink)
    In my youth I was an unrepentant carnivore. Gimme the Super Big Boy, the big ol' steak, and I'm a happy camper.

I still like meat, but find that my appetite for it has diminished to the point where two really nice things have happened: (1) I find that side dishes are more appreciated by me, rather than just being go-alongs for the Main Event, and (2)I find that meat-free meals are something I enjoy more frequently. (I'm a convert to Catholicism, and I often joke that I joined the Church because I had to eat fish on five successive Fridays, and that was a PENANCE?)

I love some meals that are not, strictly speaking, meat-free because of the meat broth involved: Risotto, blackeyed peas & collard or turnip greens, French onion soup. But there are others that are entirely free of meat, fish, and poultry; I confess I especially like these at lunch, because for three years I worked with a guy who thought that EVERY meal had to include meat as its centerpiece--or ONLY piece, as he'd demonstrate when devouring a meal of sloppy joe meat in a bowl, spaghetti with meat sauce (two pounds beef to one jar sauce), and three pieces of fried chicken.

My favorite, though, is the baked potato. I have two preferred toppings. One is creamed spinach, which I like anyway. The other is from Marion Cunningham's The Supper Book. It's called, Idaho Sunrise. Bake a potato; cut a slice off the top and scoop out the insides. Fluff with butter and cream/milk, season with salt and pepper, and stuff back in the skin, placing the spud in a baking dish. Make a deep well in the potato flesh, and break an egg into it. Put the potato back into the oven and bake until the white is set but the yolk is not.

You can also add a layer of creamed spinach under this; I know, it was inevitable for me to try. You can add herbs, cheese, or any manner of other things to the potato pulp when mashing. I love this.
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 18:03:33 (permalink)
    Here's three of my favorites, courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey:

Beetroot w/ Onions

¾ lb raw beet (weight w/out stems & leaves)
    4 Tb veg oil
    1 tsp whole cumin seed
    1 clove garlic, peeled and v. finely chopped
    4 oz. onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 tsp plain flour
    1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne
    ½ lb tomatoes, peeled and v. finely chopped
    1 tsp salt
    ½ pint water

Peel beets and cut into wedges. Heat oil in a medium-sized pot over a med. flame. When hot, put in cumin seeds, let sizzle for 5 seconds, put in the garlic, stir & fry until golden, put in onion, stir & fry 2 min., put in flour & cayenne stir & fry 1 min. Add beet, tomato, water, salt, bring to a simmer, cover, turn to low and simmer 30 min., or beet is tender. Remove lid, turn up to med., and cook uncovered for about 7 min., or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
    Serves 3-4.

Red Lentils w/ Cabbage

7 oz. (200 gr) red split lentils, picked over, washed, drained
    2 pints (1.15 l) water
    ½ tsp gr. Turmeric
    5 Tb veg oil
    1 tsp whole cumin seed
    2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
    3 oz (75 g) onion, peeled and finely sliced
    ½ lb (225 g)cored and finely shredded cabbage
    1-2 fresh green hot chilies, finely sliced
    1 ½ tsp salt
    4 oz (110 g) tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
    ½ tsp ginger, peeled and finely grated

Put lentils and water into a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Remove any scum, add turmeric. Cover leaving lid slightly ajar, turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hr 15 min. Stir a few times during last half hour. Heat oil in 8-9” frying pan over medium heat, when hot add cumin seed and sizzle for 3-4 seconds, add garlic and as soon as it begins to brown add onion, cabbage, and chili. Stir and fry for about 10 min. unitl it begins to brown and crisp slightly, add ¼ tsp salt, turn off heat. When lentils have cooked, add rest of salt, ginger and tomato, stir, cover & cook for another 10 min. Add cabbage mixture and any accumulated oil, stir and bring to simmer uncovered 2-3 min. until heated through.

Carrot, Peas, and Potato w/ Cumin

6 oz carrots, cut into ½ “ dice
    6 oz potato, boiled, drained, cooled, cut into ½ “ dice
    6 oz. onion, coarsely chopped
    6 oz. shelled peas
    1 gr. onion, finely sliced
    3 Tb veg oil
    1 ½ tsp whole cumin seed
    2 whole dried hot red chilies
    about 1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp sugar

Heat the oil in large frying pan over med. heat, when hot put in cumin seed and sizzle 3-4 seconds, add chilies and sizzle-stir 3-4 seconds, add onion and cook 5 min. or until translucent, add carrot and peas, stir for a minute, cover, turn to low and cook for about 5 min. or until tender. Uncover and turn up slightly, add potatoes, salt, and sugar. Stir and cook another 2-3 minutes, add green onion, stir and cook for 30 seconds, remove chilies and serve.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 18:09:23 (permalink)
    Sundancer:

If you can wait til Sunday, I'll post my absolutely fabulous eggplant parmesan recipe. It's so good that even sworn meat-eaters thought that I put in meat sauce (I didn't--I just made sure the tomato-sauce-with-a-twist had a lot of texture)!!!!

Rhodes:

Glad to see someone in the States keying on to the fabulous Madhur Jaffrey
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 18:13:53 (permalink)
    Jellybeans, I cannot wait and thanks for your attention.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 19:10:59 (permalink)
    Here's the hummus recipe I make at least once monthly. The name and background claim was inspired by a cookbook which made a few outrageous claims about the meals Rebecca Boone prepared on the Kentucky frontier.

Rebecca Boone’s Hummus

As hummus was one of Daniel Boone’s favorite foods, Rebecca made it often.

2 16-ounce cans of Bush garbanzo beans (good and inexpensive)
    1/3 – ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic from a good-sized bunch, finely chopped *
    1 – 1 ¼ lemon, juice and pulp **
    2 T peanut butter (good substitute for tahini (sesame paste), which is traditional)
    Black pepper, coarsely grated (optional)
    Salt (optional)

* 3 cloves of garlic will give the hummus a much stronger garlic flavor.

** depending on yield or tartness, sometimes juice from 1½ lemons is needed.

DIRECTIONS

Simmer the canned garbanzos in their own liquor for about 20 minutes over low heat, without evaporating all the liquid. After the beans cool, put all ingredients except the pepper and the cooking liquid in a food processor, beans first. Puree to a creamy consistency, adding only as much cooking liquid as needed. Hummus is best after being refrigerated overnight. Add black pepper at serving time, if desired.

SERVING SUGGESTION

Divide regular or whole wheat pita bread into halves and lightly toast or warm. Generously line inside of the pockets with the hummus. Then stuff with shredded lettuce and chopped tomato. Sprinkle filling with a mild hot sauce (one more flavorful than hot, such as Durkee, Louisiana, or Frank’s) or add chilled Ranch dressing.

Hummus makes an excellent dip and freezes well for later use.

Source of the recipe is unknown.
    From the kitchen of JimInKy, 1984.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/27 23:04:47 (permalink)
    Jelly, I join Paul as welcoming your eggplant parmesan recipe. I love that dish and often order it in Italian restaurants that do it well. Some do not; they seriously undercook the eggplant, or take shortcuts.

I've made the dish at home a few times. It was a little messy, as I remember, 'cause I fried the eggplant first. When I made the dish, only bitter eggplants were available. I can no longer recall the source of that recipe.
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/28 06:55:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jellybeans

Sundancer:

If you can wait til Sunday, I'll post my absolutely fabulous eggplant parmesan recipe. It's so good that even sworn meat-eaters thought that I put in meat sauce (I didn't--I just made sure the tomato-sauce-with-a-twist had a lot of texture)!!!!

Rhodes:

Yeah, she rocks Bring on the eggplant!
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/29 16:42:48 (permalink)
    Creamy Alomond Coconut Rice Pudding with Cherry Sauce By Chef Birgitte Antonsen

Serves 4-5

Ingredients:
    1 can (14oz) Coconut milk
    2 cups almonds milk

1/2 c aborio rice
    1 vanilla bean, opened and seeds scraped out
    1 t zest of lemon (organic)
    1/4 c evaporated cane sugar
    pinch of salt

1/4 c chopped toasted almonds (optional)
    1/4 c chopped toasted coconut (optional)

2 t arrowroot
    2 t cold water

For Cherry sauce:

10 oz frozen cherries (or berries)
    3/4 c water
    1/4 c evaporated cane sugar
    1 T lemon juice

2 t arrowroot
    2 t cold water

Directions:

Place the coconut milk and almond milk in a medium heavy-bottom sauce pan and let it come to a boil.

Add rice, vanillia bean and seeds, lemon zest, sugar and salt. Let simmer for about 25 mins or until the rice is tender. Stir often.

Combine the arrowroot and water. Slowly add to the rice mixture while stirring. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes until thinkened.

Remove from the heat.
    Set aside to cool, and pour into 4-5 individual bowls. Refrigerate until serving.

Cherry Sauce:

Place the frozen cherries, water, sugar and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Let it come to a boil and simmer for about 15 mins. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if needed.

Combine arrowroot and water, and slowly add to the cherry sauce while stirring. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes until slightly thinkened. Remove from heat.

To Serve:
    Pour the Cherry Sauce over the pudding. Top with the optional almonds or coconut.

Enjoy
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/29 18:51:26 (permalink)
    quote:

Sundancer:

Rhodes:

JellyBeans: It ain't long until Sunday. I will do the eggplant thing when you post.

Paul E. Smith
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/29 19:40:42 (permalink)
    Sundancer: Wow! You must be really craving eggplant parmesan *chuckle* Alas, like I said: it'll have to wait until Sunday because I have my hands full with juggling job applications, my part-time job and prepping braised pork, spring roll stuffing, handmade noodles and vegan dishes for Chinese New Year dinner on Saturday.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/29 19:44:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Sundancer: Wow! You must be really craving eggplant parmesan *chuckle* Alas, like I said: it'll have to wait until Sunday because I have my hands full with juggling job applications, my part-time job and prepping braised pork, spring roll stuffing, handmade noodles and vegan dishes for Chinese New Year dinner on Saturday.

Too bad for the Sundancer, Jellybeans. I was hoping to have it for Superbowl Sunday.

thanks for your efforts.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/29 21:33:08 (permalink)
    I'm a meat eater but limit myself to just 2-3 days a week. It's no biggie for me as I am a vegetable lover. When good produce is limited as it can be up north in winter it's good to have some easy veggy dishes. 2 favorites

Yam Latkes (or sweet potatoe fritters)with curry

2 cups grated peeled yams
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 15oz can garbonzo beans,drained
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon sal
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds

8 tablespoons oil

Combine yams and red pepper in lg bowl.Pureee garbonzo beans in processor to coarse paste. Add egg,curry and salt. Blend. Stir in mustard seeds and cilantro.Then stir in garbozo mixture into yam mixture.
    Working in batches,fry latkes in heated oil spoonfuls at a time about 3-4 inch rounds. Cook until brown 3-4 minutes each side.
    These are good served with plain yogurt or sour cream.

The other receipe is Spinach Pie

Pie crust (store bought or your own)

2 pkg frozen chopped spinach
    1/2 half chopped onion sauted till golden
    1/2 cup or more feta cheese
    3-4 eggs
    1/2 cup parmesean cheese

Thaw spinach and mix with other ingredients adding salt,pepper,nutmeg.
    Bake 350* oven for 25 minutes
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/29 23:44:08 (permalink)
    I love this eggplant dish, also from Madhur Jaffrey's book _Indian Cooking_, but forget the exact name of the dish.

Pan-fried spiced eggplant

scant 1/2 tsp. salt (reduced down from the original 1 tsp., which I found too salty for my taste)
    1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1/4 tsp. cayenne
    some black pepper to taste

4 Tbsp. oil
    1 medium size eggplant, sliced into 1/2" thick rounds

Mix together the first four ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle generously on the slices of eggplant on both sides.

In a large skillet, heat the oil and fry eggplant slices until golden brown, then flip and fry again. Don't be scared if they get rather dark, they'll be all right. Lay on paper towels to drain, the end result can be a tad oily. It's slightly spicy, very flavorful and goes great with basmati rice. Like most fried stuff, it's best the day of, and doesn't reheat quite as nicely. It should be crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside.

Ariane
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 05:41:54 (permalink)
    Sundancer: Because you are on tenterhooks, I'll just dash off the recipe right here before I head towards the kitchen to cook today:

Jellybeans' Eggplant Parmesan with a Twist

Ingredients (A)

2.2lbs eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch-wide rounds
    Flour (for coating if you opt to fry the eggplant rounds)
    Vegetable oil (3 Tbsp if you are roasting, more if you want to fry the eggplant rounds because eggplant soaks up helluva lot of oil if you fry it)
    1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    2 cups of mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
    salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste

Ingredients (B)

Olive oil
    3lbs ripe tomatoes
    Concentrated tomato puree
    4 medium or 3 large onions (the more potent the better), peeled
    1 bulb of garlic with the papery skin shucked off
    Dried mixed italian herbs (or dried basil if you prefer a purer flavour)
    3 or 4 dry bay leaves
    2 Tbsp capers, chopped finely
    Dried chilli flakes (from Asian supermarket--easier to gauge heat-levels than Mexican chilli flakes that vary in strength)
    1 can pitted black olives

How I Do It:

1. Salt the eggplant rounds and leave to drain for an hour
    2. In the meantime, make the tomato sauce:

a) Cut the onion into rough and large pieces, chuck 1/2 of them and 1/2 of the garlic in the food processor and whiz for a few seconds
    b) Stick in the rest of the garlic and onions and whiz until they are properly diced but NOT TOO SMALL (we need the diced bits to be large enough so it doesn't melt in the cooking sauce)
    c) Heat a good glug of the olive oil in the cooking pot, add the garlic-and-onion mixture and cook over moderate heat until translucent (about 5 to 8 minutes)
    d) Blitz the tomatoes in the food processor into pulp in the meantime and add to the now-fragrant onion-garlic mixture.
    e) Tip in the capers and if you want to add in olives, blitz the olives until they are finely chopped and tip it in now.
    f) Give the now boiling sauce a good shake of the herbs, salt and pepper, chuck in the bay leaves and stir in a good 3 or 4 (or more) Tbsp of the tomato puree and stir until the mixture turns a wonderfully unctuous scarlet whereby the bits of black olives (if you have added them in) stand out in brilliant contrast.
    g) Add in a shake of the chilli flakes if you want the sauce to be spicy.
    h) Turn down the heat to the lowest setting and leave the sauce to simmer for about an hour while you...

3. ... turn your attention to the now-drained eggplant:

If you want to do it the traditional way:

Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels, dredge it in flour and fry over medium heat until each round is browned on each side (Warning: frying eggplant is so tempting and scrumptious that you might end up eating it before you even get to assembling the dish)...

If you are lazy and prefer a less-greasy eggplant like me:

a) Toss the eggplant rounds in olive oil until well-coated, then arrange them in a single layer on baking trays and bake them for about 20 to 30 minutes (until each side is browned) on high heat (about 200-220C)

By the time you are done frying/browning the eggplant, the sauce should be nice and thick and absolutely beautiful. Add in more salt or pepper if needed (adjusted to your taste, of course).

4. Now, preheat the oven to 180C (about 350F).
    5. Grease a wide shallow baking dish or roasting tin
    6. Spread a little of the tomato sauce on the bottom
    7. Cover with a layer of eggplant
    8. Sprinkle a few tsp of parmesan
    9. Cover with a layer of mozzarella
    10. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up (or the pan won't hold anymore), ending with a covering of tomato sauce and some parmesan cheese sprinkled over
    11. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and bake for about 45 minutes until it's bubbling and the top is browned.

It's not vegan but it has worked well for vegetarian friends and meat-lovers.

Happy cooking and let me know how the recipe turned out for you. I am going by British measurements and am curious to know if it translates well into American measurements. Please note that you can add more parmesan if you want. I always end up having to grate more to use in the end.

Tip: Any leftover tomato sauce is wonderful just heated up later and eaten with pasta. The spicy version with black olives is my variation of Puttanesca sauce that is usually chunkier. I just made it in a finer texture to use in my eggplant parmesan and my spicy roasted vegetable lasagne

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 08:49:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the Eggplant recipe, Jellybeans!!

tiki, here's one I ran across last spring, when the fresh fava beans were in season down here. I LOVE this one.

Spring Onion & Fava Beans w/Pastacourtesy of Boggy Creek Farm, Austin, TX

1 pound fresh fava beans
    2-3 spring onions, bulbs and greens
    EV olive oil
    1-2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped (I used a couple more)
    Salt & pepper
    Crumbles of feta cheese

Boil the fava beans until the skins are loose, about 2 minutes. Remove beans from the skin.
    Slice and saute the onions (use bulb and greens) in olive oil. As onions are getting tender, add fava beans and garlic. Salt/pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes, then combine with cooked pasta of your choice. Top with crumbles of feta.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 09:19:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Jellybeans: It looks like I will be busy Sunday.

Incidentally, you write very well and love your descriptive words: blitz, whiz and etc

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 09:43:02 (permalink)
    Go Jelly! Thanks for the recipe, looks great.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 09:45:13 (permalink)
    Manacotti
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 10:07:09 (permalink)
    My very favorite vegetarian dish is a great vegetable lasagna that I make. I make this every year for our Super Bowl party as we have some Jewish people and Muslim people among our guests. I always have a large bowl of Italian sausage and meatballs on the side for those that eat pork. Everyone loves it!
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 14:09:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Thanks Jellybeans: It looks like I will be busy Sunday.

Incidentally, you write very well and love your descriptive words: blitz, whiz and etc

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

You're very welcome, Sundancer Keep in mind that you can make this dish in stages. E.g. make the sauce on Thursday, fry the eggplant on Friday and then assemble the whole lot on Saturday just before a dinner party. That's often what I do--stagger the prep of a dish.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 14:11:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

My very favorite vegetarian dish is a great vegetable lasagna that I make. I make this every year for our Super Bowl party as we have some Jewish people and Muslim people among our guests. I always have a large bowl of Italian sausage and meatballs on the side for those that eat pork. Everyone loves it!

Chezkatie, I'd be interested to see what your vegetable lasagne is like. The two vegetarian lasagnes I make are:

Spinach and ricotta and pine nut white lasagne
    Spicy roasted veggie lasagne

So I'm always up for new variations on that ultimate dinner party food--lasagne
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 14:14:01 (permalink)
    JellyBeans: is the eggplant better served hot and fresh? Looking forward to Sunday. I will let you know how it turned out. You indicated that you oven baked the egg plant. I wonder if you can deep fry it without breading it. I gotta watch the carbs.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 14:21:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

JellyBeans: is the eggplant better served hot and fresh? Looking forward to Sunday. I will let you know how it turned out. You indicated that you oven baked the egg plant. I wonder if you can deep fry it without breading it. I gotta watch the carbs.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

It is best served hot and fresh (give it a few minutes to 'settle' as you do with lasagne).

I don't know if you can deep fry it without breading it but if you don't want to use flour, just oven bake it. Make sure you get it more or less cooked through and browned on both sides. Sometimes, I resort to grilling it in a grill pan for the pretty prison-bar effect or doing it under an oven grill.

Thanks for the compliment by the way--it is one of my ambitions in life to become a food writer like Nigella etc

Anyway, anyone have a good recipe for vegetarian chilli?
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 14:23:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Here's the hummus recipe I make at least once monthly. The name and background claim was inspired by a cookbook which made a few outrageous claims about the meals Rebecca Boone prepared on the Kentucky frontier.

Rebecca Boone’s Hummus

As hummus was one of Daniel Boone’s favorite foods, Rebecca made it often.

2 16-ounce cans of Bush garbanzo beans (good and inexpensive)
    1/3 – ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic from a good-sized bunch, finely chopped *
    1 – 1 ¼ lemon, juice and pulp **
    2 T peanut butter (good substitute for tahini (sesame paste), which is traditional)
    Black pepper, coarsely grated (optional)
    Salt (optional)

* 3 cloves of garlic will give the hummus a much stronger garlic flavor.

** depending on yield or tartness, sometimes juice from 1½ lemons is needed.

DIRECTIONS

Simmer the canned garbanzos in their own liquor for about 20 minutes over low heat, without evaporating all the liquid. After the beans cool, put all ingredients except the pepper and the cooking liquid in a food processor, beans first. Puree to a creamy consistency, adding only as much cooking liquid as needed. Hummus is best after being refrigerated overnight. Add black pepper at serving time, if desired.

SERVING SUGGESTION

Divide regular or whole wheat pita bread into halves and lightly toast or warm. Generously line inside of the pockets with the hummus. Then stuff with shredded lettuce and chopped tomato. Sprinkle filling with a mild hot sauce (one more flavorful than hot, such as Durkee, Louisiana, or Frank’s) or add chilled Ranch dressing.

Hummus makes an excellent dip and freezes well for later use.

Source of the recipe is unknown.
    From the kitchen of JimInKy, 1984.

Jim, you should enter a recipe on the Bush beans website for the contest they are having.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18384
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 14:44:01 (permalink)
    Hey, Sundancer, here's one from the Food Network. I'd give you mine, but I don't have a recipe. I just make it.

Eggplant Parmesan
    From Food Network Kitchens

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
    Yield: about 4 to 6 main course servings

2 medium eggplant (about 2 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch-thick round slices
    Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1 tablespoon
    5 cups fresh breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Vegetable oil for frying
    All-purpose flour for dredging
    6 large eggs, beaten
    2 tablespoons whole milk
    Olive oil, as needed
    7 cups QUICK MARINARA SAUCE, recipe follows
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan, divided
    1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced

Arrange the eggplant slices on several baking sheets and sprinkle generously all over with kosher salt. Set aside to let the bitter juices weep from the eggplant, about 1 hour.
    Transfer the eggplant to a colander in the sink, and rinse well under cold running water. Transfer eggplant to a work surface and blot very dry with paper towels.

In a large bowl, whisk together the 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, and season with pepper.

Place the flour in a medium lipped plate or bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Dredge an eggplant slice in the flour, then dip it in the egg, and finally dredge it in the breadcrumb mixture. Shake off any excess breading and transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.

In a large straight-sided skillet, pour the oil to a depth of 1/2 inch. Heat the oil over medium heat until it registers 400 degrees F on a deep frying thermometer. (The oil must be heated to 400 degrees F. so that the breaded eggplant, when added, will drop the temperature of the oil to the proper frying temperature of 375 degrees F.)

Working in small batches, fry the eggplant slices, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and season with salt to taste. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush a 15 x 10- x 2-inch-baking dish with olive oil. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 1/3 of the marinara sauce and arrange half of the eggplant over the sauce. Cover the eggplant with another 1/3 of the sauce. Scatter half of the Parmesan and half of the mozzarella over the sauced eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Bake until hot and just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

QUICK MARINARA SAUCE

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    7 cups whole, peeled, canned tomatoes in puree (about two 28-ounce can), roughly chopped
    2 sprigs of fresh thyme
    2 sprigs of fresh basil
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and garlic, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the herb sprigs and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
    Remove and discard the herb sprigs. Stir in the salt and season with pepper to taste. Use immediately, store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.

Yield: about 3 1/2 cups

chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 15:21:52 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Chezkatie, I'd be interested to see what your vegetable lasagne is like. The two vegetarian lasagnes I make are:

My recipe calls for 1 pound mushrooms, 1 pound grated carrots, 2 pkg. of frozen chopped spinach, 1 small can sliced black olives, plus 3 kinds of cheese.........if you are interested in this recipe, I will post it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 15:26:16 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman: Thanks for the recipe and your time. I did not know that egg plant had a bitter side. I noticed that Jellybean indicated slicing and waiting but I did not understand it was because it was bitter.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite Vegitarian/Meatless Recipes 2004/01/30 15:34:43 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

My recipe calls for 1 pound mushrooms, 1 pound grated carrots, 2 pkg. of frozen chopped spinach, 1 small can sliced black olives, plus 3 kinds of cheese.........if you are interested in this recipe, I will post it.

Please do!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1