The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Favorite chains, yes or no?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Sat, 10/8/11 10:53 AM (permalink)
Backing off.........

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
    Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Sat, 10/8/11 11:00 AM (permalink)
    ann peeples

You havent made your point, mjambro.Do I know Darden? How weird that Red Lobster would open a place where seafood is prominent.Who, or what, is Smokey Bones? Olive Garden opens wherever there is a space........

Darden is the owner of a number of mediocre-quality chain restaurants including Red Lobster & Olive Garden.  They started Smokey Bones, but sold it off a few years ago.  Point was that when Red Lobster found they could not compete in an area where people are used to and expect quality seafood, their owners turned that restaurant into a BBQ restaurant which has done well due to being an area where locals have no concept of good BBQ - much like the way Olive Garden does well where customers have no concept of Italian cuisine.

While I don't find myself ever returning to one of these places, I do have respect for their management who are evidently quite skilled at turning lemons into lemonade.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
      Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Sat, 10/8/11 3:12 PM (permalink)
      The trouble with these mediocre joints is it gives the food they sell a very bad name and folks who flock to these places carry with them the idea that this is what this food is all about.  And they pass it on to their kids and grandkids - so whole new generation sustain this mediocrity and these chains continue.  Look at Domino's success - they started out catering to college dormitories  - now these college graduates continue eating this crap and foisting it on their kids and grandkids and great grand kids - such an abomination of our sacred foods. 

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
        Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Sun, 10/9/11 6:11 PM (permalink)
        God help me, I've been to them all.

That said, what's the point of a list if everybody makes it?

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
          Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Mon, 10/10/11 1:45 PM (permalink)
          Contrary to popular opinion Red Lobster does have 4 or 5 varieties of fresh fish daily. According to their website these are never frozen and in some cases apparently locally brought.
          Having said that though Red Lobster is not one of my favorites. If their food only tasted 1/2 as good as it looks on their commercials.

MiamiDon

Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Mon, 10/10/11 3:33 PM (permalink)
            I frequent the drive-through at McDonald's at leat once a week, but it's not something that I would call my favorite or recommend. 

I don't really eat at any chains very often, but I guess our favorite is the Shula's steakhouse chain, in any of its variations (Shula's 2, Shula's 347 etc.).  We have dined many times at the original (before it was a chain) at the Miami Lakes Golf Club.  Don Shula used to live about 500 yards away in the Loch Lomond community, and I guess he wanted a steakhouse to eat at! 

I also greatly enjoyed the food at db Bistro Moderne in downtown Miami, which is part of the Chef Daniel Boulud restaurant empire (there are db Bistro Moderne's in NYC and Singapore, too).  I'd like to lunch at DBGB Kitchen in NYC some time, and sample their house-made sausages.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Favorite chains, yes or no? Mon, 10/10/11 3:59 PM (permalink)
              mjambro

ann peeples

You havent made your point, mjambro.Do I know Darden? How weird that Red Lobster would open a place where seafood is prominent.Who, or what, is Smokey Bones? Olive Garden opens wherever there is a space........

Darden is the owner of a number of mediocre-quality chain restaurants including Red Lobster & Olive Garden.  They started Smokey Bones, but sold it off a few years ago.  Point was that when Red Lobster found they could not compete in an area where people are used to and expect quality seafood, their owners turned that restaurant into a BBQ restaurant which has done well due to being an area where locals have no concept of good BBQ - much like the way Olive Garden does well where customers have no concept of Italian cuisine.

While I don't find myself ever returning to one of these places, I do have respect for their management who are evidently quite skilled at turning lemons into lemonade.

I know many, many Rhode Islanders who would have you "sleep with the fishes" for making such a comment.
              Just about everyone I know says Rhode Island has the best food in the country (save Boston and New York) and that includes BBQ and everything else.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com