Favorite childhood candy?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/10 19:16:07 (permalink)
Mayhaw, your 8/9 post above contains more unfortunate truths re the dismal social & economic conditions of the Delta today. It's sickening to see one of the largest cotton producing counties in the country with one huge gin for the entire county while the many old small gins formerly running throughout the county are "already down" or in the process of rotting away. Even more discouraging is seeing the same occur to houses with no longer anyone to occupy them.
As to the pigs feet, I've never tried any of the current small jar pink ones and its been years since I dug one of the white ones out of the clear spiced vinegar of a 5 gal. glass jug. I never really liked the pig's foot itself as well as I liked the taste of the spiced vinegar they were in and the soda crackers on which you ate them - being both a salt & vinegar freak. The pig's foot just provided some substance to accompany those great flavors. Never that much of a vienna sausage or potted meat man; preferring a piece of "square lunch meat" or a dime can of pork and beans (both with crackers) for a workday lunch. Talking with friends yesterday about years ago a drunk coming into the store just at closing time and buying a 3 lb. can of those "oil sausage" (sure you know what I'm talking about) and a loaf of "lightbread", sit there and eat every sausage and half the loaf of bread, then finish off the remainder of the bread sopping up and eating every bit of that oil in the can; then getting up & walking home several miles down a dirt road at a cold & dark 10 PM. After seeing such as that, don't tell me "grease kills"; in that case it probably sobered him up enough to get home without falling into a ditch and drowning or freezing.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/10 23:31:09 (permalink)
Prairie Belt Sausage. The one's with the happy, smiling youth on the label. The only store in Abita Springs (incidentally, been open and running since the thirties. No A.C., screen door, great hamburgers, let's kids sign for groceries and parents pay later, sells live crawfish and dead rabbits ,mmmmmmmm, and a worm vending machine in front in case you get there too early. You wouldn't believe how many tourists stick money in it to see if it is real. It is, of course)does a brisk trade in those sausages. I can honestly say that there is very little I will not try once, and I am no stranger at eating "difficult to determine the origin of" meat products, but no Prairie Belts. There is enough grease in that can to go over a combine two times and still have some left in the gun.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/11 09:03:52 (permalink)
You've got it again, exactly right, Mayhaw. I couldn't remember name of the oil sausage. Never tried them myself & you are sure right about the grease quantity; half the can was grease, but think that grease was what Arthur needed that night. Some folks ate them regularly, tho. Your Abita Springs grocery sounds great, truly wonderful. Can't think of any of that nature left right around here tho do know of a few somewhat simiilar elsewhere in the state.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/11 09:59:50 (permalink)
We didn't have any stores within walking distance of where I grew up but a few blocks away, a lady named Mrs. Milligan had a candy store set up in the outside entryway of her house - a couple of glass cases, a freezer for popsicles and frozen Milky ways and peanut butter cups and her homemade Italian lemon water ice. She didn't sell soft drinks because they'd "rot our teeth out". Yeah, like our local dentist didn't get an annual vacation in Miami Beach because of Mrs. Milligan's jujubes.

Ah, Necco wafers. It would take me about 15 minutes of asking to see each roll and count the number of chocolate and orange ones to get the best selection. We used to play church and use them for Holy Communion. Whoever had the Necco wafers got to be the priest. One summer, someone's cousin came to visit, bringing Ohio-style communion wafers unknown to our area. They were called flying saucers, two round concave disks with a little piece of candy in the middle. She got promoted to an Archbishop immediately.

Nancy, button candy making kits are available, or at least were a couple of years ago when I got one for my cousin at Toys 'R' Us for a 50th birtday gift. They came with the paper strips and mix for the dots.

Edited for spelling
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/11 10:45:31 (permalink)
RubyRose: My son & I used a bubblegum kit a few months ago--yikes-- too much work for too little gum Even he had to admit it! But, maybe the button kit would be easier.

I found the package of four button candy sheets at the Rag Shop, believe it or not. They have quite a selection of candy behind the check out area
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/11 11:02:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NancyPeter

RubyRose: My son & I used a bubblegum kit a few months ago--yikes-- too much work for too little gum Even he had to admit it! But, maybe the button kit would be easier.

Did you and he ever make rock candy with a string suspended from a pencil in a pint jar? My kids used to love that.
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/11 16:58:23 (permalink)
Haven't done that w/my kids, but remember doing it when I was little. Good idea, RubyRose - thanks for reminding me
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/11 20:59:47 (permalink)
I just checked out two websites suggested on another candy forum here on Roadfood: www.NostalgicCandy.com & www.oldtimecandy.com

Good news for me - both sites have the Planter's Peanut Bar but at different prices (79 cents each & $1.00 each). I can't wait until my order arrives!

Unfortunately, the watermelon slices they show on the Old Time site are fruit-flavored, so they're not the same ones I spoke of, which were coconut.

At least, there's hope for those of us yearning for candy from the past!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/19 17:01:15 (permalink)
Mmmmmm, I loved candy buttons! And I'm glad I wasn't the only strange little Catholic using Necco wafers to play holy communion!

There used to be a chocolate bar called a Rollo (not those little caramel Rolo candies). It was similar to a Baby Ruth.

I always got Big Hunk at the movies. It wasn't the best, but it was so BIG and you always had alot left over when the other kids were finished with theirs.

There is also something called Chix-a-stix that is peanut butter-y flaky, and stick-in-your-teeth-for-days good.

And Bottle Caps...root beer was my favorite.

Since we went to the Highland games I got to have great toffees and Licorice Allsorts. Some were layered so you could try to eat one millimeter-thin layer at a time (like those Brach's neopolitan ones in the bins at the market).
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/21 13:37:05 (permalink)
I just had a flashback moment & remembered the tart taste of Regal Crown Sour Cherry candies. They almost hurt they were so sour, but oh so good
SkiPatroller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/08/29 13:57:01 (permalink)
We had a drugstore in the little town I grew up in located in central Pennsylvania called Wilson's that had penny candy and soda served in those old metal frames into which you placed what looked like a snow cone cup.

Anyway, I recall a licorice candy called Jets... they were hard, small diameter tubes of licorice that we used as straws for our sodas.

While not technically a candy, we used to also get banana-flavored Twin Pops. They were delicious on a hot summer's day!
sweetysue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/09/20 10:19:17 (permalink)
Go to: www.Nonniescandycottage.com (Groovy Mix Dept.) Lots of "old time" and "hard to find" favorites.
Alirush
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/09/20 10:50:26 (permalink)
My sister and I used to love this red licorice candy that came in the shape of a pipe. The licorice itself was harder than normal licorice, so the thing could take hours to eat. The only place we could ever find it was at a candy store in Wellesley, MA. I remember our whole family going and watching the Boston Marathon every year in Wellesley. My sister and I would stick those pipes into our mouths and be content for hours. This was back in the day when no one thought twice about selling candy cigarettes and pipes to kids!

Also, Pop Rocks, or whatever those little rocks were that exploded when you put 'em in your mouth.

What about that candy...Lick 'n Stick?...can't remember the name...which was basically three pouches of flavored sugar that you ate with a stick made out of sugar. Mom looooved when we ate that.
JILLCAMP
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/05 11:05:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

As CheeseWit mentions, there is another recent thread around here some place covering basically the same topic and to which I posted my childhood favorite commercial candies, but the mentions here of divinity remind me of the great quantity of it which was made by everyone at Christmas when I was a kid (and it's amazing how many people around here still make it at Christmas). Though it is so popular, it was never my favorite Christmas candy. I much preferred the fudges, real sweet date & nut candies, etc. etc. Tho divinity wasn't my favorite, the best diviinity maker I ever knew was my grandmother. One Christmas, tho, due to warm & wet weather, or whatever reason, she made a batch which would never firm up. So she quickly whipped up one of her simple little "spice cakes", as she called them, and iced it with that soft divinity. That "divinity icing" was the best divinity I ever had.
Though so many people made divinity, I've never known anyone but one great aunt who made pulled taffy. Don't remember her cooking it in the kitchen so don't know how she did that - think its made of sugar and water, white karo, or some such ingredients, but I remember her sitting in her rocker in front of fireplace with big pan in her lap, the soft taffy in it, a plate of butter beside her, and her buttering her hands and somehow pulling and pulling that taffy, stretching it out and out, thinner and thinner. Know she said that pulling was good exercise for her arthritic hands. She'd then let it harden & cut or break it into pieces. She always gave me a box of it for Christmas. Remember it being white, flat, hard, could bite off a piece or crack it into smaller pieces (kinda like a peppermint stick or piece of brittle). In appearance the larger pieces always reminded me of pieces of celery, sometimes being kind of "ridged" and having in them the little "tunnels" kind of like celery sometimes has. While I wasn't that crazy about divinity I always loved the taffy. Haven't had any like that since Aunt Laura died years ago. Does anyone know how to make it? I've bought comercial taffy over the years but it was always sort of soft, totally different flavor, and totally unlike that which Aunt Laura made.
JILLCAMP
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/05 11:13:11 (permalink)
HI I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR THE TAFFY RECIPE YOU TALKED ABOUT. I USED TO EAT IT WHEN I WAS YOUNG. WE WOULD GET IT FROM A LADY FOR HALLOWEEN AND CHRISTMAS. THE TAFFY RECIPES NOW ARE ALL SOFT AND CHEWY AND THIS WAS NOT SOFT BUT BRITTLE. I WONDER IF IT HAD SOME VINEGAR IN IT ALSO. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE RECIPE IF YOU EVER FIND ONE. I HAVE LOOKED ALL OVER FOR IT BUT I CAN'T FIND IT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
quote:

As CheeseWit mentions, there is another recent thread around here some place covering basically the same topic and to which I posted my childhood favorite commercial candies, but the mentions here of divinity remind me of the great quantity of it which was made by everyone at Christmas when I was a kid (and it's amazing how many people around here still make it at Christmas). Though it is so popular, it was never my favorite Christmas candy. I much preferred the fudges, real sweet date & nut candies, etc. etc. Tho divinity wasn't my favorite, the best diviinity maker I ever knew was my grandmother. One Christmas, tho, due to warm & wet weather, or whatever reason, she made a batch which would never firm up. So she quickly whipped up one of her simple little "spice cakes", as she called them, and iced it with that soft divinity. That "divinity icing" was the best divinity I ever had.
Though so many people made divinity, I've never known anyone but one great aunt who made pulled taffy. Don't remember her cooking it in the kitchen so don't know how she did that - think its made of sugar and water, white karo, or some such ingredients, but I remember her sitting in her rocker in front of fireplace with big pan in her lap, the soft taffy in it, a plate of butter beside her, and her buttering her hands and somehow pulling and pulling that taffy, stretching it out and out, thinner and thinner. Know she said that pulling was good exercise for her arthritic hands. She'd then let it harden & cut or break it into pieces. She always gave me a box of it for Christmas. Remember it being white, flat, hard, could bite off a piece or crack it into smaller pieces (kinda like a peppermint stick or piece of brittle). In appearance the larger pieces always reminded me of pieces of celery, sometimes being kind of "ridged" and having in them the little "tunnels" kind of like celery sometimes has. While I wasn't that crazy about divinity I always loved the taffy. Haven't had any like that since Aunt Laura died years ago. Does anyone know how to make it? I've bought comercial taffy over the years but it was always sort of soft, totally different flavor, and totally unlike that which Aunt Laura made.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/05 11:43:27 (permalink)
...the little wax bottles filled with colored sugar water.
...DOTS
...black licorice
...Good - N -Plenty
...NECCO - all flavors!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/05 11:54:56 (permalink)
Jillcamp, I think maybe you are right about vinegar somehow being involved in that crisp or brittle taffy we both remember; seems I remember Aunt Laura mentioning something about that. But, even though I now live in what was her house, I've never found her recipe for it (really doubt she ever had it written down), and, as said, have never known anyone else who ever made this. I'd surely be interested in the recipe/specifics of such taffy making, too, if anyone ever comes up with such.
JILLCAMP
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/06 12:06:30 (permalink)
LIKETOEAT AFTER SEEING YOUR POST ON TAFFY AND NOT BEING ABLE TO GO ON WITHOUT FINDING THE RECIPE I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND IT. GO TO THIS WEB SITE AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. http://cookies.spike-jamie.com/disk105.html IT SOUNDS LIKE OUR TAFFY. I HOPE IT IS. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS FOR A VERY LONG TIME. LET ME KNOW IF YOU TRY IT OUT.

quote:

Jillcamp, I think maybe you are right about vinegar somehow being involved in that crisp or brittle taffy we both remember; seems I remember Aunt Laura mentioning something about that. But, even though I now live in what was her house, I've never found her recipe for it (really doubt she ever had it written down), and, as said, have never known anyone else who ever made this. I'd surely be interested in the recipe/specifics of such taffy making, too, if anyone ever comes up with such.
SharonTriv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/06 14:28:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Alirush
[What about that candy...Lick 'n Stick?...can't remember the name...which was basically three pouches of flavored sugar that you ate with a stick made out of sugar. Mom looooved when we ate that.

This reminds me of something called "Lik M Aid"--paper packets of sugary crystals (like you used to make KoolAid out of), and we just licked our fingers and stuck them in this sugar and then licked it off. I loved this atrocity--went around with green, orange, purple and red fingers a lot. I remember having more than one going at once and would reserve a finger for each flavor. Can't believe my mother let me do that.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/06 19:49:12 (permalink)
JILLCAMP, thanks for sharing your find. As said, I never saw Aunt Laura use a recipe for her taffy, but from what I can remember her saying, this does sound similar, particularly the ingredients and cooking part. I don't remember anything about the butter knife and folding the edges into the middle and adding flavoring. In fact I don't know if she added any flavoring and if she did, don't know how she did it or what flavor she used; perhaps vanilla. I know she never added any food coloring. If seems to me she worked with it (did her pulling) off of a plate or maybe larger china platter rather than a bread board, and I'm nearly certain she did butter her hands while doing the pulling (never with any adverse results to my knowledge). I remember her emphasizing the streatching and continuing to do it again and again, over and over, but don't know about the twisting part. Seems like I remember her saying something about that, but don't remember her taffy having a twisted appearance. And I'm nearly certain she didn't make the indentions for breaking. I think and hers looked like she just broke it (unevenly) into pieces after it cooled. Also, this recipe doesn't say anything about the vinegar which we both thought we remembered; maybe, tho, it was cream of tartar rather than vinegar which we were recalling. So in summary, tho I don't think the "after cooking aspects" of this recipe (more so than the ingredients and the cooking part) are identical to what Aunt Laura did, it does not sound that terribly different; closer than anything I've ever seen (in fact, this is the only written thing I've ever seen re this type taffy). Sorry I can't be of more help or more definite, but think this recipe would be worth a try. The thing we want is that cispy, crunchy rather than the chewy, sticky element. Let me know if you make any from this recpice and what you think. I'd like to give it try, but with my schedule between now and year end, I realistically don't expect to do so during that period. Thanks again. Good luck if you do try it and let us know results. Thanks.
JILLCAMP
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/07 09:05:02 (permalink)
Liketoeat Well I couldn't wait to try this taffy since it has been so long since I have had it. I tried a batch yesterday after I found it. It is not quite what we are looking for. It is more like glass candy or hard tack. Maybe I didn't do the stretching part right, but it was hot and everytime I stretched it, it would break. I didn't flavor or color mine because the taffy I ate was never colored and if it was flavored like you I would think it would have been vanilla or maybe almond. When you bite this taffy it is brittle, and it kind of tastes the same. I think!!! But the color is not white but a transparent carmel color. I thought that I finaly had it, but I don't think I do. Oh well, I will keep looking. Thanks for your response.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/08 21:31:25 (permalink)
Thanks for the info on your taffymaking experience, Jillcamp. Sounds like this recipe you found is not identical to what we remember, but it is probably relatively close. Think the more its pulled the whiter it got. Remember most of Aunt Laura's being white and looking more like white celery than anything I can think of, but occasionally she would have some similar in appearance to this "pearlescent white" some cars are now painted. Don't understand the taffy breaking when you stretched it. I'll keep on the lookout for taffy recipes and will let you know of any I ever find which seem what we are looking for, and you please do the same. Thanks. Good luck in future endeavors.
hotdogger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/12 02:54:07 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a candy called 'Fun Dip'?
It came with a candy stick that you could lick and dip into the 2 separate packets of candy powder. One was cherry flavored and the other was grape. All of it was pure sugar.
Pixie Stix were also just flavored sugar powder that came in straw like tubes.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/18 11:17:41 (permalink)
FUN DIP?? they still sell those-- my kids love them-- i don't though-- cause they somehow always manage to get the sugar stuff all over the place and everywhere but in their mouths!! and talk about a sugar high== why not just hook them up to a sugar IV?? hahaha (ok i admit it.. i like them too! but shhhhh don't tell my kids!!!)
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/19 17:30:14 (permalink)
I used to be able to buy black baby type licorice bits covered with tiny candy balls. I've not seen these by themselves for at least twenty years but I'll buy Licorice All-Sorts or Black Beauty Mix at bulk candy places occasionally just to get these candy coated licorice bits!

NYCTransplant
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/21 19:05:27 (permalink)
I had a taste for Payday when I went away to camp for three summers. But, when all is said and done, SNICKERS BARS remain my all-time favorite.
NYCTransplant
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/21 19:07:21 (permalink)
OH! PEZ! Pez.
LApalms
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/25 23:54:32 (permalink)
Anything from SEES!
Bonomo Turkish Taffy
BB Bats
Abba Zabba (the OLD recipe)
Hoffman's Candy
Butter toffee peanuts
7-up bar
Mar's Late Great "Forever Your's" bars
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/28 18:35:20 (permalink)
How about "Bulls Eyes"? Those carmels with the white sweet center.

Sometimes I would get a nickle to take with to grade school in Chicago and afterwards stopped at the local candy store. Depending on my taste at the time I could get enough for the nickle to last the 6 block walk home or grab a nice BIG dill pickle from the barrel! Either way, a happy kid!

Also agree with the licorice and "Lik-em-aid" packets.

Loved taffey but my dentist got rich off of me when I ate it. One chunck of taffey was good for pulling out at least three fillings.

Don
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorite childhood candy? 2003/11/28 19:17:11 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I never managed to catch this topic when it was fresh. Let me catch up.
Those flavored-water-in-wax-Coke-cottle-like-things was called Nik-L-Nips. The company that made those went out of business sometime in the mid-1960's, or so I am told. I haven't seen them since before then.
I remember Tips, a breath freshener sold in teeeeny little bottles. The stuff was green. It must've contained alcohol, because Mr. Driver, the principal when I started high school, was rigid about suspending anyone caught with a bottle for three days the first time and five the second. After that, it was - expulsion!
Then there was some licorace-y thing that came in a little box in little teensy squares. SEN-SEN! It took me a minute to recall. Another breath freshener.
Many years ago, we had a local manufacturer that sold peppermint candy - "sugar stick," as they called it - in big handled jars. It was H. V. Long Candy Co. on Barber Street here in Athens. The building is now used as a Holiness church.
Another small independent candy manufacturer was Stewart Candy Co. in Statham, Georgia. They had some heavenly log-like thing (something like Tom's Peanut Butter Log, but distinctively different) that I had only once, when I was about 5 or 6 years old.
Do they still make Bonomo's Turkish Taffy? Yes, vinegar was an ingredient... I remember reading that off the list.
My favorite still-available candy is Atkinson's Chick-A-Stick, made by Atkinson Candy Co. of Lufkin, Texas. Since I am hypoglycemic, I can only enjoy candy every so often, but eating a Chick-A-Stick never hurts me. Maybe it's because it's wholesome. I understand that the company is still a reasonably small family-held independent.
My thanks to the University Of Georgia Law Library for the use of their computer so I could type in this reply!
Posted Hastily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1