Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite childhood candy?

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 172
shen

• Total Posts: 150
RE: Favorite childhood candy? Tue, 06/1/04 10:07 AM (permalink)
MARATHON BARS!!!
also loved Bounty bars but now can get them in europe and also here in nyc

E.Gail Woods

• Total Posts: 5
    RE: Favorite childhood candy? Thu, 06/3/04 8:39 AM (permalink)
    Does anyone remember Stardust? It was a sour powder that contained tiny pieces of bubblegum-haven't seen or heard of it for years.

ahmicchick

• Total Posts: 107
      RE: Favorite childhood candy? Thu, 06/3/04 10:56 AM (permalink)
      Butter Rum Lifesavers
      Bottle Caps
      Lik'm'aid Fun Dip
      Red Licorice
      Blackballs
      Good and Plenty
      Wine Gums
      MacIntosh Toffee (give the pack a whack, Jack!)
      Crunchie (sponge toffee covered with milk chocolate)
      Oh! Henry
      Mars Bars
      Smarties (sort of like M&Ms, but were made by... Rowntree? Cadbury?)
      $100,000 Bars

... and I loved those special occasions when Mum would have the ladies over for bridge and serve (naturally) Bridge Mix.

Many of the above-mentioned items are Canadian/British since I grew up in Toronto. If anyone is ever north of Orillia, Ontario, on highway 11, check out the Candy Shoppe (http://www.candyshoppe.ca/). They have just about everything that's been mentioned on this thread. An added bonus is that they are next-door to Weber's, an excellent place to get a burger.

shell

• Total Posts: 24
        RE: Favorite childhood candy? Fri, 06/4/04 6:02 PM (permalink)
        I used to like the Bottle caps - Kind of like sweet tarts but with pop flavors.

And Pop Rocks! I remember when I first gave them to my brother, four years younger. he had such a face when they started to "pop" in his mouth!

And Flicks or Chocolate-covered Raisins were my favorite movie treats.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
          RE: Favorite childhood candy? Fri, 06/4/04 7:34 PM (permalink)
          I never was a candy freak. I think the only candy I liked as a child was "Atomic Fireballs"
          I occasionally eat Heath Toffee bars now; with the associated Bryer's ice cream on a limited quantity. Of course, when my mother made her Peanut Butter fudge....
          Well, that is entirely another issue...

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
            RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sat, 06/5/04 4:45 PM (permalink)
            Sweetarts (small ones)
            Fun Dip
            Trash Candy (It came in a plastic trash can, and was in the shape of assorted pieces of trash)
            Nerds
            Blips
            Hershey's Miniatures
            Gobstoppers
            Bottlecaps
            Fruit Stripe Gum
            Choclate Covered Pretzels

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
              RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sat, 07/24/04 8:26 PM (permalink)
              I just received an order from an online company called 'Candy You Ate As A Kid". Good stuff, and for the most part, just as yummy as I remembered. You can make up your own "grab bag" of goodies...mine had vanilla Buns, Spree, Butter Rum lifesavers, Sugar Babies, and baked beans. Of the ones I've tried, the Sugar Babies are too chewy (didn't worry about stuff like dental work when I was a kid!) but the Bun bars -- one of my very favorites -- were orgasmically good. And I got a box of Indian Pumpkin seeds. One little tiny bag has almost 1000mg of sodium!! (another thing I didn't worry about as a kid) And they still taste salty and yummy. This is a neat website. The address is www.oldtimecandy.com.

sweetgherkin

• Total Posts: 88
                RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sat, 07/24/04 11:50 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Route 11

Sweetarts (small ones)
                Fun Dip
                Trash Candy (It came in a plastic trash can, and was in the shape of assorted pieces of trash)
                Nerds
                Blips
                Hershey's Miniatures
                Gobstoppers
                Bottlecaps
                Fruit Stripe Gum
                Choclate Covered Pretzels

I completely forgot about the Trash can candy!

My favorites were:
                Jolly Rancher Stix - especially Fire, watermelon, peach, green apple, punch. Cherry not so much, and usually I love cherry.
                Root Beer Barrels
                Hubba Bubba Tropical Punch and Green Apple bubble gum
                Whatchamacallit
                Lemonheads
                Dum-Dums - especially cream soda

BTB

• Total Posts: 207
                  RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sun, 07/25/04 9:24 AM (permalink)
                  My favorite candy of my youth was something that my mother would bring back from shopping called "Ben Hurs." They were little dark gray squares (about a quarter of an inch) and left your breath sweet and your tongue dark gray or black. They were so good, though, but when I searched the internet for them a few years ago, something had said that they were discontinued a dozen years or so ago. Does anyone remember Ben Hur candies?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sun, 07/25/04 12:11 PM (permalink)
                    I thought I had responded earlier in this thread...but can't find an entry, so here it is....

Prime time for a candy bar for the child Mayor was on the way to and at the movie (walk-in). A Sav-On opened just down the street from the Movie House selling candy bars at 3/dime or the big ones for a dime apiece. Well I would get 50 cents to go to the movies on Matinee day, 25 cents for the movie, and 5 cents for a single scoop cone at SAV-ON. The other 20 cents would go for 2 1/4 lb BABY RUTH bars. When Baby Ruth came out with those big bars, they jumped to NUMBER 1 in my book. I would have to buy them one at a time to keep the total purchase under 20 cents or I would have to pay a penny sales tax...and I didn't have it...so the ritual was to buy one, go get the ice cream cone, then come back to the candy counter and buy the second. The cone would be gone by the time I reached the movie house, and the candy would be rationed out...one for each feature film.
                    Some times it would be 3 Sugar Daddy's in place of one Baby Ruth, or 3 Charleston Chews. But Baby Ruth was the lead item.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                      RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sun, 07/25/04 1:01 PM (permalink)
                      Ben-Hur sounds like one of my favorites, Sen-Sen. They looked like little Zippo flints.

BTB

• Total Posts: 207
                        RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sun, 07/25/04 1:36 PM (permalink)
                        Sen-sen was somewhat similar with much smaller pieces, but was not the same.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                          RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sun, 07/25/04 2:59 PM (permalink)
                          Sugar Babies
                          Sugar Daddies
                          Banana and Grape Now or Laters
                          Bit O Honey's
                          Maple Bun Bars
                          Chik O Stix
                          Reese Cups
                          Tootsie Rolls and Tootsie Pops.......all flavors
                          Charms Sweet and Sour Lollipops
                          Jolly Ranchers in Grape, Raspberry, and Lemon
                          Anything Hersheys
                          Smoothie Peanut Butter Cups
                          Russell Stover Bavarian Mint Melt aways
                          Salt Water Taffy

As for homemade candies

Aunt Ruth South's Cornflake Candy
                          La Choy Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Haystacks
                          Aunt Gurniadean Myers' Divinity
                          Nana's Potato Candy
                          Mom's Skillet Peanut Butter Fudge, Creme De Menthe and Kahlua Chocolate Fudge.(respectively)
                          Aunt Anna Lough's Hard Tack
                          Aunt Pete's Molasses Taffy
                          Westover Elementary School's Chocolate Oatmeal No Bakes
                          Aunt Theresa's Italian Almond Nougats
                          Aunt Alma's Jelly Drops
                          Aunt Maria's Spumoni Candy

Mind you.......with the exception of Aunt Pete, none of these Aunts were actually Aunts, but lovely little old ladies of the neighborhood who I wormed my way into their affections by frequent visitations and big soulful eye -begging for their treats.....

alb

• Total Posts: 47
                            RE: Favorite childhood candy? Tue, 07/27/04 9:11 PM (permalink)
                            Boy, does this bring back memories! Let's see...

Zotz
                            Pixie Sticks
                            pop rocks
                            horehound candies
                            Sugar Daddy/Black Cow suckers
                            frozen Zero bars

Man, I hated those marhmallow circus peanuts but my grandpa always gave them to us and I had to eat them to be polite. Even now, the smell makes me gag.

LaurieGee52

• Total Posts: 35
                              RE: Favorite childhood candy? Fri, 07/30/04 3:47 PM (permalink)
                              Growing up on Avenue X in Sheepshead Bay. Brooklyn was a real treat as a little kid!

While walking home from school with my older brother Eric...like clockwork...we'd pass a candy store strategically located diagnally across from our apartment building on Ave X....I always came out with any one of these things.... candy lipstick....Turkish Taffy.....Lika-Maid........candy cigarettes..while my brother inevitably bought his beloved baseball cards.....

Those were the days!

LaurieGee52

FIREBIRDS

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: Favorite childhood candy? Tue, 08/3/04 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                Does anyone remember the Holloway All Day Sucker and do you know where to find them? It's not the same as the "slo poke" they advertise as the candy from your childhood. The original was a dark brown sort of carmel and so hard it could pull your teeth out even after being in your mouth forever. My other love was cheese popcorn. Schnucks supermarkets (midwest) marketed one in their own brand but discontinued it. It was the cheesiest one I've ever run across. Hints on a really cheesy popcorn please!!

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                                  RE: Favorite childhood candy? Tue, 08/3/04 5:40 PM (permalink)

AKA Slo-Pokes: oldtimecandy.com

kidlightning

• Total Posts: 33
                                    RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sat, 08/20/05 1:56 AM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for even more memories! My dad had a small grocery store when I was a kid, and I have had a flood of memories while reading about all these candies. I had forgotten about bag-o-gold, lik-m-aid, and only recently found nik-l-nip (for 50 cents at dollar tree.) din't really seem quite right, but that's another story. Anyway, for those of you that were looking for sour candies, like the regal crown, I've found that the Altoids sour candy taste very similar to them. I had a car trip last week, and popped a piece of sour cherry gum, more to keep me awake than anything. All of a sudden, I was in junior high, worried about pimples, dancing with girls, and a lot of other things. Sells for about dollar and a half at Wal-mart. Well worth it.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
                                      RE: Favorite childhood candy? Tue, 08/23/05 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                      jujube's
                                      juicy fruits
                                      sugar babies
                                      chocolate babies
                                      Charleston chew
                                      Tukish taffy
                                      clove lifesavers

Wow, not only am I dating myself, but I couldn't eat most of those now anyway. Not only just the sugar content, but I'd live in fear of losing a filling. I do miss the clove flavored lifesavers.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                        RE: Favorite childhood candy? Wed, 08/24/05 7:27 AM (permalink)
                                        Hello all,
                                        Candy was a treat to me as a kid because we never had any at home, it was just something you got when shopping in town or ate at a local gas station with a bottle of pop.
                                        Malt balls and chocolate covered peanuts from the Woolworth candy counter. Usually bought a nickel or dime's worth which they measured out on a scale and placed in a white paper bag.
                                        Mallo Cups, Baby Ruth, any Hersey Bar, penny Tootsie Rolls, Bit O Honeys, and Payday Bars that actually had salt on the nuts. M&Ms was always a treat at 5 cents. Nutty Buddies, with the gold wrapper sent me to heaven.
                                        And I used to buy a Licorce Twist, can't recall the brand name, think Brach's, that I can't find the quality of anymore. The licorce was not soft. You could take a small "chaw" and chew it like chewin' tobacco. It produced the same effect as chewin' tobacco if you wanted to spit, like adults did into a spittoon. The flavor was not sweet like current licorce that I find now and it was definitely tougher to chew.
                                        Also, I wasn't a bright kid...I'd buy 3 Musketeers because of the 3 guys on the wrapper with swords. I'd then discover over and over again I didn't like the bar. Finally wised up by 7 yrs. old.
                                        Took me awhile to appreciate coconut, but finally love Almond Joys, especially when eating them with potato chips.
                                        And I went through the stage of putting salted peanuts into my soda pop,(back in the days when soda was in bottles) and drinking them together, although peanuts aren't really candy. Just wondered if anyone else did that.
                                        But my favorite special candy is chocolate covered cherries because we could only get them at Christmastide and I love Christmas.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                          RE: Favorite childhood candy? Wed, 08/24/05 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                          I too forgot about trash can candy. It was good! I also liked bottle caps and Pez and charms suckers. There's a candy I used to get that was in a plastic globe about the size of a pool ball with the bottom half a solid color and the top half clear and it came with a tiny plastic toy you had to assemble. Does anyone remember that and what its name was?

Andrea

Lauren9714

• Total Posts: 4
                                            RE: Favorite childhood candy? Fri, 08/26/05 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                            I loved Tootsie Rolls as a kid..

kidlightning

• Total Posts: 33
                                              RE: Favorite childhood candy? Sat, 08/27/05 11:48 PM (permalink)
                                              Sen-sen not only resembled zippo flints, they also tasted like them. But seriously, I was in a gas station in some small town a few years ago, and they sold them. I mentioned that I remembered them from my childhood, and the attendant said they sold a ton of them. I wish I had bought a package or two, for old times sake. The memories, because I don't remember them tasting that great, but Billy Joel sang about them covering up cigarette breath in "Keeping the Faith." If you are in the midwest, Meijer stores have an "Old Time Candy" display, and I've seen a lot of the candies mentioned in this forum. Next time I'm over there, I'll try to get a list...

sueluvschoc

RE: Favorite childhood candy? Mon, 08/29/05 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                I could never stand those marshmallow peanuts! I still see them in grocery stores. Isn't it funny what we used to love as kids.
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Lone Star

My favorite cany were those marshmallowy circus peanuts, and I can't stand them now, but still love the smell!

My dad makes a mean assortment of candy over the holidays, and always gives each one of his girls a plate to share with co-workers.

He makes peanut brittle, divinity, and an old family recipie called Aunt Bills, which is a kind of carmel candy chock full of pecans.

Diner-Lover

• Total Posts: 246
                                                  RE: Favorite childhood candy? Mon, 08/29/05 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  I always liked the marshmallow peanuts! The orange ones were the best. I never cared as much for the fruity ones that were shaped like peas in a peapod and tasted like lime, and the yellow that were shaped like an ear of corn and were lemony. The orange ones weren't orange flavored-- I can't even think how to describe their taste!

As a kid, I also liked Tootsie Rolls because they lasted so long, Chunky (with raisins and nuts), Royal Crowne Sours, Good N Plenty, Clark Bars, candy cigarettes (minty!), Callard and Bowser Butterscotch, Bonomo's Turkish Taffy were some favorites. Anything Hershey's made.

I grew up during the time of those Nik-L-Nips (wax bottles with wierd liquid inside), those candy dots stuck to the long paper strips, and Pixie Stix. I ate (and drank) them and was glad to have them when we got them, but I knew at the time that they weren't so great. (I think I ate more paper than those candy dots since the paper often stuck fast to them.)

dadio

• Total Posts: 14
                                                    RE: Favorite childhood candy? Tue, 08/30/05 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by kidlightning

Sen-sen not only resembled zippo flints, they also tasted like them. But seriously, I was in a gas station in some small town a few years ago, and they sold them. I mentioned that I remembered them from my childhood, and the attendant said they sold a ton of them. I wish I had bought a package or two, for old times sake. The memories, because I don't remember them tasting that great, but Billy Joel sang about them covering up cigarette breath in "Keeping the Faith." If you are in the midwest, Meijer stores have an "Old Time Candy" display, and I've seen a lot of the candies mentioned in this forum. Next time I'm over there, I'll try to get a list...

Believe me, they taste as bad as you remember.

Dadio

ek369

RE: Favorite childhood candy? Wed, 09/14/05 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by NancyPeter

Ok, Liketoeat, how about this one: red silver dollars - they were the taste of Swedish fish, but coin-shaped...

Then, there's Danish rolls - strawberry licorice in four or five break-apart rolls that were sort of ribbed. Input?

Hi Nancy -

I've been scouring the internet looking for any information on my childhood favorite candy, what I thought was named "Strawberry Rolls". I saw that you described them, but call them "Danish Rolls". Just wanted to see if you had any other info. on them? Good to know I'm not the only one who remembers them! Thanks, Erik

FROGFAMILY

RE: Favorite childhood candy? Thu, 10/13/05 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                                        My name is Percival Butay and I grew up on Kauai, Hawaii and I vaguely remember this candy bar that I bought at this local restaurant called The Spotlight in the 70's. It was called GOOD NEWS. It became my favorite candy growing up and was always available. I left Hawaii, joined the military and ended up living in Washington state. Now in my thirties, I long for those sweets and candies I remember having. HA! NOT AVAILABLE! Not in Washington at least. Thanks to the internet and about a day of searching, I have information about acquiring some GOOD NEWS. It only ships to and sold in HAWAII! No wonder none of my friends here remember having it. It was regional! The makers are The Ben Myerson Candy Co, they own the Christopher Candy Co whose name is on the wrapper and they can FedEX you a box of 36 bars for 13.68. Its made fresh weekly. They're also available in most Las Vagas Longs Drungs stores because of the large Hawaiian community, I called a few stores and varified. I am working on having GOOD NEWS available in the Northwest.

phantasy823

• Total Posts: 2
                                                          • Location: Garden Grove, CA
                                                          RE: Favorite childhood candy? Wed, 10/26/05 9:49 PM (permalink)
                                                          Mmmm.. Bar None.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                            • Location: portland, OR
                                                            RE: Favorite childhood candy? Thu, 10/27/05 1:44 AM (permalink)
                                                            I loved Sugar Babies and Three Musketeers

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 172

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com