Favorite coffee

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/05 00:48:06 (permalink)
Pretty sad to say, but without a large Starbuck's I can't function. Nothing has the kick. Don't even like the taste. It's all about caffeine intake. When driving, I need to know where the local Starbuck's is. I was deprived of strong coffee in Ft. Worth. When I saw a Starbuck's outside Waco, I was fixated like a junkie. As much as I hate their guts, I've become their little robot.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/05 07:50:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

You're not imagining things; the best coffee in Central and South America is all exported. Colombians are wacky for Nescafe. Sad, really.

Eric

Same is true of Jamaicans---lived there a for a while and LOVE the coffee--Blue Mt is truly world class but even the coffee grown at sea level in a friends yard--which his mother would pan poast and then pound into powder with a mortar and pestle--was great---but if you ask anyone for coffee--resteaunt or home--it was almost always Nescafe out of a jar.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/05 07:56:36 (permalink)
Mexico too, go to a cafe, whether it be small or really ritzy, and more than likely you will get some hot water with the jar of Nescafe on a doily. Unless you ask for an espresso or cappucino.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/05 08:22:08 (permalink)
Hillbilly,

There are quite a few CC's, but I think mostly in NO metro area. There was one in Mobile (in Springhill to be more accurate), but it went under after about a year..The CC's in the quarter (on Royal) is my coffee shop of choice in NO. It is right down the street from our apt. and is the coffee has lots of character(as do the patrons which is probably why I like it so much).
practans
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/05 11:46:47 (permalink)
WaWa...a 20 ounce cup, every morning.
Pool Boy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/05 12:09:03 (permalink)
Vibration Guy-- Question for ya. Illy coffee, I assume that is for use ONLY in making espresso, right? Or can one make 'regular' coffee out of it too (a la a French Press or auto-drip coffee maker, etc)?
ksiegel@mac.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/07 13:23:46 (permalink)
I am a big fan of Cafe Caracolillo, made here in Tampa especially for us hardcore espresso nuts. And only $2 and change for a bag!

http://www.cubanfoodguy.com/caracolillo.htm

(I also adore Eight O'Clock's dark roasts)
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/07 16:31:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rok

Vibration Guy-- Question for ya. Illy coffee, I assume that is for use ONLY in making espresso, right? Or can one make 'regular' coffee out of it too (a la a French Press or auto-drip coffee maker, etc)?

I don't drink drip (not enough flavor for me - I crave big flavors when I want coffee), but guests I've served Illy drip swear it's excellent - I've used both my Krups drip machine and a french press.

Eric
wesza
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/07 17:36:48 (permalink)
The type of Coffee that i've been drinking for years has Big Flavor, Strength, Character and when purchased at Oriental/Asian Markets a reasonable price. I've always drunk a very strong, French Roast, or Cuban Midnight Roast Coffee, prepared in a Melitta Filter # 6 drip, filled with about 12 Oz of medium/fine Grounds to make a Carafe. When I use a Expresso Maker I generally try 6 Shots to get the oommmph. Years ago I started to enjoy Vietmanesse Drip Iced Coffee at the various Pho Restaurants, even though it was sweet, it tasted pretty good. Most people aren't aware of the fact that during the last few years "Vietnam", has become the worlds second largest coffee producer/grower. But even more important to me was learning that the better Vietnan Places, use and prefer: New Orleans "Cafe Du Monde" Coffee and Chicory in the 15 OZ. Tin I've been using this HAPPILY for the last few years. It's made my way, Strong and Big plus it sell's for only $3.21 per tin at Lum's Seafood Market in Seattle. This is in my case considerable savings, plus it sure does the job. I'm working at getting a local place for "Beignet"s
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1178
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/10 08:22:02 (permalink)
quote:

I don't drink drip

I however, proudly drip my drink.....on the counter, the floor, my shirt, etc., etc., etc...
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/10 10:33:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:

I don't drink drip

I however, proudly drip my drink.....on the counter, the floor, my shirt, etc., etc., etc...

You've got a moustache too,huh!?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13473
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/10 15:38:09 (permalink)
I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. I have definately developed a taste for Tim Horton's coffee. Their doughnuts ain so hot, but their coffee is wonderful. Not bitter and very nutty.

The chain covers the Maitime Providences like the dew. It seems like there is one on every block. They are neat, clean and very quick. They also do breakfast sandwiches which I never tried. I did the honey cruellers. They were fair.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jmckee
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/11 12:20:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

I don't drink drip

And a beard.

And virtually no hand/eye coordination.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/11 20:51:18 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't drink drip

And a beard.

Me too Hey--none of these smile emoticons have facial hair!!!!I protest!
jmckee
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/13 12:32:30 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't drink drip

And a beard.

Me too Hey--none of these smile emoticons have facial hair!!!!I protest!

We, the hirsute, shall arise in righteous indignation.....!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/22 20:33:17 (permalink)
I guess that my taste in coffee is very ordinary.........I buy Dunkin' Donuts coffee and store it in the freezer.......find it to be very mellow and smooth. I cannot stand Starbucks over roasted burnt tasting stuff........yuck!
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/22 23:43:10 (permalink)
My favorite coffee shop is the Lost Dog in Shepardtown West Va , They are VERY picky about the coffes they use , Small specailty batchs ,
All of there coffees are available in press pots/ french press , to my mind the prefered brewing method as there are no paper filters to absorbe any of the vital oils
They have a wild grown organic Yemen that is well worth the trip,
For iced coffee,I use a Coffee Tody maker , Its a cold process, That makes a concentrated syrup ,
As there is no heat it makes a completely differnt cup,
No acidicness or bitterness as well as higher caffine,
I belive the chain of "Seattles Best " use it for some of there drinks
It makes a very unique coffee experince
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/23 04:58:57 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

You're not imagining things; the best coffee in Central and South America is all exported. Colombians are wacky for Nescafe. Sad, really.

Eric

Same is true of Jamaicans---lived there a for a while and LOVE the coffee--Blue Mt is truly world class but even the coffee grown at sea level in a friends yard--which his mother would pan poast and then pound into powder with a mortar and pestle--was great---but if you ask anyone for coffee--resteaunt or home--it was almost always Nescafe out of a jar.

The Jamaicans turned me on to putting sweetened condensed milk in my coffee...mmmmmm
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/23 08:11:50 (permalink)
Has anyone had Vietnamese Coffee,
Usally an espresso drip done at the table , Over sweetened condensed milk , Served hot or cold
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/23 09:05:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:

quote:

Eric

The Jamaicans turned me on to putting sweetened condensed milk in my coffee...mmmmmm

They put that in everything!!! On a particulary warm and humid summer day a Jamaican friend handed me a tall glass of an iced tan liquid---i took one sip and was amazed--it was great--so i asked him what it was. "Dragon Milk" he replied----Dragon Stout and sweetened condenced milk---it was great!! Can't find dragon Stout here in the states--that i know of anyway--but it works just as well with Guiness!
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/24 18:15:49 (permalink)
dragon stout
wow
i have not seen it in years
wonderful stuff
there is no comparing it to guinness tho
the dragon is a milk stout/more like a mackeson's
but not quite
where can one find dragon stout?
i miss it
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/08/24 23:33:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paul and louise

dragon stout
wow
i have not seen it in years
wonderful stuff
there is no comparing it to guinness tho
the dragon is a milk stout/more like a mackeson's
but not quite
where can one find dragon stout?
i miss it

Igot it in Jamaica and unfortunately have never seen it here--but there a a coupke of great stouts available that make killer "Dragonsmilk"--if you van call that without Dragon stout---Sierra Nevada make a grat one but i think the distribution is pretty limited---if you do find Dragon---lets me know!!
a noid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/21 10:59:48 (permalink)
To the Dunkin Donuts fans, I can only say try the coffee at Krispy Kreme it beats the pants off DD.
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 17:10:04 (permalink)
J&S Bean Factory in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They roast it right there like many other places, but, they have a brew bar. Ask Steve, the owner, (when he's there after 10:00am) what's fresh? he'll take what he roasted only a few hours ago, take only enough for a cup, grind it right then and there, put a filter paper into a cone filter and pour the hot water over it. It does not get any fresher than that folks. My favorites are: Yemen Mocha, Aged Sumatra, Italian roast Costa rican and kenya AA. Fresher is better.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 17:31:09 (permalink)
I have wondered why I always see so many people loading up their baskets with Nescafe til the shelves are empty at a market I frequent that carries hispanic foods.

I used to work with a nurse on night shifts who was born and raised in Jennings,LA. If we were having a really bad night in the ICU, she would take her private stash out of her locker and make us a pot of some kind of heavenly coffee-chicory blend. She was always very secretive about it, so we never pushed in hopes of getting more.

I like Seaport and Community.
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 18:11:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Has anyone had Vietnamese Coffee,
Usally an espresso drip done at the table , Over sweetened condensed milk , Served hot or cold

I've always had Vietnamese coffee served over ice. It tastes like a "Slowpoke" (a lollipop made out of caramel) to me.

For my "everyday" coffee, I like European coffee. My favorite is a Viennese coffee that I either brew in my press or in my electric drip.
spadoman
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 20:24:07 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rok

I don't drink drip (not enough flavor for me - I crave big flavors when I want coffee), but guests I've served Illy drip swear it's excellent - I've used both my Krups drip machine and a french press.

Eric

spadoman
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 20:26:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rok

I'm not Vibration guy, but if you want another 2-cents worth of opinion, I'll tell you that illy is ground as an espresso, but can be used in a paper lined drip cone or a press pot. Use a lot of coffee for that rich deep flavor, but too much will make it bitter, be careful.
bugbear
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 20:51:13 (permalink)
This is a very informative thread. My favorites have always been Dunkin Donuts (no Krispy Kreme near here, alas), Fairway, and Orleans Coffee Company (bought some Costa Rican Doka Supreme while in N.O. 7 years ago, now buy from their website). But I am a sucker for Thai and Vietnamese sweet iced coffees.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Favorite coffee 2003/09/22 22:11:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

I have wondered why I always see so many people loading up their baskets with Nescafe til the shelves are empty at a market I frequent that carries hispanic foods.

I used to work with a nurse on night shifts who was born and raised in Jennings,LA. If we were having a really bad night in the ICU, she would take her private stash out of her locker and make us a pot of some kind of heavenly coffee-chicory blend. She was always very secretive about it, so we never pushed in hopes of getting more.

I like Seaport and Community.

Lonestar,

If she was from Jennings, it may well have been Mello Joy. A coffee that is not only good, but one that has become mythical thanks to the fact that it is hard to get outside of Lafayette. Sort of like when Coors was only in 5 states, but on a smaller scale
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1