Favorite coffee

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/02/27 17:50:43 (permalink)
O, one of my favorite beverage subjects. Right now I'm absolutlely gaw gaw over a
Guatamaulan Antigua I get from a local roaster. College Coffee Roasters in Mountville Pa. It's been roasted no more than a day when I order it. I hand grind the beans as I need them through my Zassenhauf hand mill and the aroma that wafts to my nostrils puts me right over the top. And the brew is smooth, flavorful and very low aciditty. Heaven.
Excuse me, I've got to go brew a cup.
AB
alb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/07/31 23:28:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Best coffee in the world: Brazil. Period.

Nope, sorry. Italy does it for me!
alb
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/07/31 23:38:36 (permalink)
I generally don't like flavored coffees, but LL Bean makes a wonderful blueberry coffee. Just a hint, not overpowering. Unfortunately, they don't sell it from their catalog except as part of a "Maine breakfast" package. They do sell it at their brick and morter stores.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/07/31 23:46:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Pete's!

Originally posted by CheeseWit

Isn't that Peet's??

Yes. It is Peet's and it kicks Starbuck butt.
LaurieGee52
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/02 01:26:59 (permalink)
Out here in Southern California...there's a well known brand by the name of "Don Francisco".....for the last 6 years or so...with out fail....we have Vanilla Nut (Regular) as well as their decaffinated version....recently found Traders Joe's version in ground Decaf.....

Great way to wake up in the AM.....:)

LaurieGee52
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13549
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/04 15:59:22 (permalink)
My favorite coffee still after all these nice post is Mellow Joy out of Lafayette, LA. I get the dark roast.

It is my favorite for the last 20 years. I have it every morning with Mamaw Smith's at 5:30AM along with the knoxville News Sentinel.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/05 10:50:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

My favorite coffee still after all these nice post is Mellow Joy out of Lafayette, LA. I get the dark roast.

It is my favorite for the last 20 years. I have it every morning with Mamaw Smith's at 5:30AM along with the knoxville News Sentinel.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul,
Where is the best site to order this from? I saw one cajundepeaux.com (from a Google search).

Frank
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/05 11:05:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

We trek to a German deli in Randallstown for a German coffee brand, Jacobs Kronung. It is SO smooth. We also try to keep some 100% Kona on hand, which we usually get at the Whole Foods Market.

A young friend from Germany is visiting us and brought us containers of the Jacobs Kronung and as you said, it is so smooth. I will be going to the Old World Deli to buy coffee from now on.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/05 12:45:26 (permalink)
To fcbaldwin:

I bought a bag of Mello Joy (no "w" at the end) when down in Acadiana, and it was great. The company's own website was listed on the bag:
http://www.mellojoy.com
They also do mail order. I guess you have to do arbitrage to get the lowest final cost.

David
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/05 13:37:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

To fcbaldwin:

I bought a bag of Mello Joy (no "w" at the end) when down in Acadiana, and it was great. The company's own website was listed on the bag:
http://www.mellojoy.com
They also do mail order. I guess you have to do arbitrage to get the lowest final cost.

David

David,
Thanks!
I ordered some from the site. Funny that they don't disclose what size the bags of whole bean are. So I'm not assuming anything and will just take what I get.

Frank
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/05 13:47:24 (permalink)
My favorite bean right now is Indian Monsooned. I haven't seen it very many places, but I always buy the whole beans when I do see it. The best place for beans in my area is a locally owned company. They have a very nice web site. http://www.broadwaycafeandroastery.com.
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/05 14:47:24 (permalink)
Today, on the coast of SC in August, my favorite coffee is cold.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/06 01:02:50 (permalink)
To Frank,

The bags of Mello Joy in the supermarket where I bought the Mello Joy were either 12oz or 13 oz. Deninitely less than a pound. But, I used less coffee per pot than with other brands to suit my taste, so it was about the same cost per cup.

David
dixiebrave
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/06 09:45:36 (permalink)
Thanks to this forum, I tried Mello Joy for the first time last spring.
Found it in store in Morgan City, LA. Enjoyed it very much. Tried to stock up but we are on the last bag already! I'll have to make an emergency call to my mother-in-law, who keeps us supplied with cajun goodies! We also love Community Coffee, but no chicory. I like the "between" roast.
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/11 09:06:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

To Frank,

The bags of Mello Joy in the supermarket where I bought the Mello Joy were either 12oz or 13 oz. Deninitely less than a pound. But, I used less coffee per pot than with other brands to suit my taste, so it was about the same cost per cup.

David

My order of Mello Joy arrived yesterday (from www.mellojoy.com). I ordered two bags of the dark roast and 1 bag of the medium. The size is 12oz, whole bean, $3.50 each plus $7 shipping from Lafayette, La. to Powhatan, Va. Tried the dark roast this am: excellent! Thanks to all who recommended it! We'll be ordering more.

Frank
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/08/11 09:55:35 (permalink)
Can anyone recommend a de-caf coffee in the Chicago area? I use Stewart's which is pretty good but there is always room for improvement.

JCER_98
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/09/27 21:15:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by a noid

To the Dunkin Donuts fans, I can only say try the coffee at Krispy Kreme it beats the pants off DD.

Amen to that!! Here in Pa. DD waters and double brews their coffee so bad. It is like drinking lightly flavored water. and heaven forbid you put cream and sugar in it. KK's rich and bold coffees are the best. Has anyone tried Caracolillo coffee? I have been wanting to try but I Don't like to waste my money on finding out it is weak.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13549
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/09/28 17:24:22 (permalink)
I have posted this before but it has been better than a year and since it continues to circulate, I will say it again. Get Mellow Joy out of Lafayette, Louisiana. Get the dark roast and it is the oldest and best of Louisiana coffee.

I enjoy this picker upper daily at Mamaw Smith's who lives next door. I have this delicious coffee every morning at 5:00AM along with the morning paper.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
alb
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/09/30 01:51:40 (permalink)
My friend in Kauaii sends me Lion brand raosted coconut coffee. I LOVE it!!
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/09/30 07:23:36 (permalink)
I will give this a try -- if I can find here in the nation's capital. I have been buying a different blend/manufacturer every time. Right now, I am drinking the Cafe Du Monde house blend from Cafe du Monde in NOLA. Is it similar to that kind of coffee?

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I have posted this before but it has been better than a year and since it continues to circulate, I will say it again. Get Mellow Joy out of Lafayette, Louisiana. Get the dark roast and it is the oldest and best of Louisiana coffee.

I enjoy this picker upper daily at Mamaw Smith's who lives next door. I have this delicious coffee every morning at 5:00AM along with the morning paper.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/09/30 08:55:03 (permalink)
Cafe du monde is great!! I made a full pot of chicory coffee and put it in the frig. Whenever i want iced coffee i mix it with heavy cream and sweetner and it's delicious. If i'm drinking hot coffee than i mix with with sweetended condensed milk.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/10/17 20:01:05 (permalink)
Peets by mail order from SF
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/10/17 20:17:17 (permalink)

Yes. It is Peet's and it kicks Starbuck butt.

No question Peets is superior to Starbucks- currently a Peetnik-get 2 different kinds every month- so far really like Arabian Mocha Java and Major Dickasons Blend- waiting for Peaberry (Tanzanian?)and also like Sulawesi alot though Starbucks Aged Indonesian is pretty good when available- which is infrequent-though its blended into anniversary blend- weve been into Starbucks for years and when in Portland OR 2 summers ago we re-discovered Peets and are HOOKED!Try it, you'll like it.
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/10/18 00:14:50 (permalink)
I roast my own coffee, and once you guys see how easy and economical it is to make your own, and what a HUGE difference fresh makes...... You will do it too.

All you need is an old hot air popcorn popper to get started and some green coffee beans. You can pick up the popper at the salvation army for about 3-4$. It takes about 30 minutes of your time to roast a weeks worth, with two poppers.

Coffee is at its best flavor for one week after roasting. You grind just before you brew. The many nuances of the coffee evaporate away after a week.
I am now using a rotary drum roaster with a turkey fryer as the heat source. I can roast 1lb at a time to any degree of roast allowing any ramping up time I wish.

If you are interested in starting this, go to: www.coffeegeek.com
and you can get all the info you need in order to start, or just ask the board.
To get your beans, a group of people have formed a coffee co-op so we can buy directly from the wholesale suppliers.
This way, for usually around $3 shipping included we can purchase what will cost you up to $15 a lb to purchase from Starbucks etc. AND IT IS MUCH CHEAPER AND MUCH MUCH BETTER!
Your friends will be astounded at the quality of your coffee, so buy more because good coffee brings lots of friends.

To go check out our co-op go here: www.greencoffee.coop

Peruse the cupping pages for descriptive terms about each coffee, we have a professional cupper that cups every bag before we buy, puts his cuppers points on that particular coffee and we bid on it. The coffee ranges in price between $1.23lb to $3.25lb.

At this time I have on hand the following coffees:
20lbs Ethiopian Harrar Longberry (flavors of blueberrys drifting to chocolate, heavy body)

20lbs Kenya Kaguimoni (very acidic, bright, some nose of citrus fruit, again cooling to chocolate, medium body, This is THE coffee people seem to want)

Puerto Rico Yauco Selecto, This coffee is directly compared to both Jamaican Blue Mountain and Kona. Truly one of the most perfect coffees there are, and at a fraction of the Blue Mountain and Kona.

5lbs Red Sea Blend, a blend of three different country's beans, Harrar being one of them, to make a perfect espresso blend. Dense crema. with fruits, spices and cocoa thrown your way,and the body to hold up to it.

Indian Mysore Nuggets EB A one of a kind coffee, that is recognizable anywhere by its intense fruits, acids, and heavy body, it is grown alongside black pepper, vanilla, citrus trees so they can shade the coffee plant allowing for a slower more intense ripening.

20lbs Ethiopian Yirgacheffe lot of acid, citrus tang, medium body
lemony.

Columbian Panama Bouqet Another "Coffee drinkers" coffee. medium body that holds up well to milk, a little floral, and it to cools to bitter cocoa. Also a slight nutty taste.

To get started will cost you about..... $8.00 for a couple of hot air poppers, $15.00 worth of beans and a good quality burr grinder to grind it with.
Starbucks and so many of the other roasters roast to Vienna stage, where it has a carbony taste. That way people can always expect to get that carbony taste wherever they go. Problem with that is, to get the pure varietal nuances you should roast to a City roast, that way you get to taste those ephemeral qualities bound up inside the bean. Those Caramels, Butterys, Cocoa, Blueberry, Red wine, nutty, little tasted treats.

So much to learn and you get to drink THE BEST COFFEE AVAILABLE IN THE WORLD as you learn. Watching someone who says, " You know, I'm really not a coffee drinker" turn up their cup and the look that comes over them.

If you can make time..... I assure you, you will never forget choosing and roasting your own. They are a friendly bunch of people on both boards that are delighted to lead you down the coffee path.

brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/10/18 08:56:43 (permalink)
Very interesting, Pogo. Thanks for the post. I'm going to look into this for my wife who loves a rich cup of coffee every morning.

Your coffeegeeks link does not link to an active website, however. It should be http://www.coffeegeek.com/
Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/10/23 03:58:48 (permalink)
I've tried various coffees over the years and I've just never developed a taste for it. I wish that I had because whenever I smell fresh coffee I love it. Maybe someday I'll be able to drink it.

Redskin204
MCGator
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/11/07 23:04:24 (permalink)
Guatamalan coffee is very good. Another outstanding coffee is Costa Rica Tarrazu. It has a rich and smooth taste unlike any other brand. My favorite source is from [url]www.VolcanicaCoffee.com[/url]. The get it directly from the coffee farms so it is very fresh and specialize in volcanic soil grown coffee.

Regarding Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee, yes it is very good but overpriced. That's marketing for you. The Volcanica Costa Rica Reserve coffee is miles ahead of it and very affordable.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/11/08 05:32:38 (permalink)

I'm partial to Costa Rican...but what ever your like, this is a good place to order it from...

http://www.portorico.com/

They are a great place to order from, with exceptionally fast shipping, but going into the store on Bleeker Street in NY City is an over whelming sensory experience. The entire floor is full with bags of coffee beans of all varieties.

They also have a special every week, and you can get some outstanding coffee for less than $5 a pound...and that is a real pound, not a 12 ounce pound!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/11/08 20:16:08 (permalink)
A few words about Kona coffee:

First, it's confusing until you start looking into it, because all the brands look about the same. But, if you keep googling, and keep poking around the web, you'll find sites that are differet, sites that have pictures of the farm owners, harvest dates, yields, and such. THOSE are the places to buy coffee. Pele Plantations, http://peleplantations.com, is one. Greenwell Farms, http://www.greenwellfarms.com, is another.

Second, if the coffee says "estate", then it is usually grown on the farm; if it says "100% Kona" then it is mixed from a variety of farms. For example, Greenwell Farms sells Private Reserve, which they grow themselves, and Kona, which they don't.

Third, a lot of Kona Peaberry is from mixed various farms. The peaberry crop is very small (about 4% of the total crop), and one farm can't always get enough to sell as "estate peaberry". That being said, I have been drinking some peaberry from Hualalai Farms (which mixes beans from various farms), http://konagrown.com/welcome.php, that is really otherworldly! Peaberry is flavorful, mild (less acidic, not always a desirable trait however), and has less caffiene than regular coffee. Some people like a more acidic coffee. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

Konaweb, http://www.konaweb.com/coffee/index.shtml, is the place I've gone for things Hawai'ian, and it hasn't let me down yet. Enjoy!

Tom

MCGator
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorite coffee 2004/11/12 10:13:42 (permalink)
lll
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1