Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorite coffee

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 168
aggie1995

• Total Posts: 3
Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 11:44 AM (permalink)
Just wondering what people's favorite coffee is. I have this discussion all the time with people. Personally, being a full blown cajun, I'm partial to Seaport Dark Roast made by the Tex Joy Company in Beaumont, TX. Another that is just as good is Mello Joy Dark Roast out of Lafayette, LA. However, as its name says, it is a little "mellower" than Seaport. What are your favorites?

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
    RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 12:03 PM (permalink)
    We trek to a German deli in Randallstown for a German coffee brand, Jacobs Kronung. It is SO smooth. We also try to keep some 100% Kona on hand, which we usually get at the Whole Foods Market.

Sundancer7

RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 12:11 PM (permalink)
      My choice for coffee is definately "Mello Joy" dark roast. The only place I can get it is in Lafayette, LA. I buy it and have it shipped to Tennessee.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

aggie1995

• Total Posts: 3
        RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 12:17 PM (permalink)
        Sundancer:

If you like Mello Joy, you need to try some Seaport Dark Roast. You can order it through their website www.texjoy.com.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
          RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 1:42 PM (permalink)
          Whatever coffee shop roasts their own. Old City in Philadelphia, Uncommon Grounds in Saratoga Springs come to mind.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
            RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 2:58 PM (permalink)
            I know I am supposed to put something exotic, but my everyday brew (and I drink it by the gallon) is Community Dark Roast. No chicory. If I want boiled acorns I will go to a civil war reenactment. Chicory is good in salads...bad in Coffee

seafarer john

RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 07/28/03 9:47 PM (permalink)
              Watch out for that Kona coast coffee - an awful lot of it is fake and sold at an exorbitant price. An article in The times a year or so ago said that the total production of Kona is about 1/3 of the coffee beans shipped from there each year. It seems that beans are imported to Hawaii , packaged and sold as Kona, and that this amounts to about 2/3 of the total sold. Real Kona is great cofee, and if you have a legitimate roaster you are buying from you should be pretty sure you are getting the real thing.

We get good freshly roasted beans at the Hudson Valley Coffee Roaster in Newburgh, NY. He offers about a dozen coffees: some are single estates, some blends. After trying just about everything he has to offer I have settled back where I was when I first started buying from him - Columbian supreme, and sometimes a Guatamalan he offers.
              BTW he refuses to handle Kona because of what I described above.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Favorite coffee Tue, 07/29/03 7:01 AM (permalink)
                Anything from La Colombe. They're headquartered in Phila., but also available in NYC.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                  RE: Favorite coffee Tue, 07/29/03 8:01 AM (permalink)
                  Any coffee as long as it is strong and black and has caffeine !!

I hate flavored coffees and can't stand cream and sugar !!

I do like fresh roasted coffee and especially the strong beans (eg Kenya, Jamaican Blue, Sumatra) .... but I will take anything I can get !!!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                    RE: Favorite coffee Tue, 07/29/03 5:56 PM (permalink)
                    Pete's!

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
                      RE: Favorite coffee Tue, 07/29/03 6:15 PM (permalink)
                      Four Seasons and Peaberry had the best, but I'm partial to Seattle's Best since it's more readily available. I love a really well made cafe au lait.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
                        RE: Favorite coffee Tue, 07/29/03 6:57 PM (permalink)
                        As black and as full flavored as possible. I am partial to Starbuck's French Roast and Allegro House Blend.

Sundancer7

RE: Favorite coffee Tue, 07/29/03 7:08 PM (permalink)
                          I am still partial to Louisiana's oldest and favorite "Mello Joy". I also like it with a creamer instead of creame.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

brianh

• Total Posts: 21
                            RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 12:59 AM (permalink)
                            aggie1995-

A topic after my own heart!
                            With all of these positive reviews of Mello Joy, I may have to seek this one out.
                            I have to agree with scbuzz and mousec as far as coffe tastes go. We have a local roaster, Alterra who have great Traditional Dry Brazilian, Kona(very pricey!), and Etiopian Harar. Whenever
                            out of town, I have to opt for whole bean Starbucks you can buy at the supermarket(I carry a little grinder).
                            Just some tips for the home brewing Folger's/Maxwell house crowd:

1. Buy quality whole bean and grind yourself.(Even Eight O'clock whole bean licks the dried out pre-ground major brands).

2. If available, find a local roaster who offers a variety of types, and pick your favorites.(Almost all will fresh grind the bean for you if needed.)

3. Since most of us do not have the same equipment at our ready as the coffee houses, here is my favorite little tip: wet down your paper filter before adding the ground coffee. You will end up with a much fuller flavor!

Great topic. More posts please!

BTW- Mayhaw Man: that comment made me laugh so hard, I would have blown the coffee out my nose if I were drinking it!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                              RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 8:05 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by EliseT

Pete's!

yeah----the Majors Blend!!!!!----and Thanksgiving Coffee Co out of Mendecino Ca is excellent! Shade grown-fair trade-organic and GOOD too!!

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                Isn't that Peet's??
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by EliseT

Pete's!

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                                  RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                  scbuzz, in his post above, has the answer for me! No way could I say it better.

Sundancer7

RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                    I circumnavigated the big island and spent some quality time in Kona on the west side. They sell a lot of coffee from that region although I am not sure where they grow it. I stopped at one neat place high on the hill overlooking the Pacific that grew their own coffee. They indicated they had about 200 acres. Coffee was excellent.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

Pool Boy

• Total Posts: 30
                                      RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                      Various Sumatran blends, I am told, are supposed to be excellent.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                                        RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                        Living on the East Coast, i have grown fond off Ice Coffee.
                                        I treat myself to a Dunkin Donuts large Ice Coffee each afternoon if possible.
                                        After at least 10 different trips into Montreal, including last week, and close to 200 Dunkin Donuts franchisees, I still can not explain the concept of Ice Coffee to the Quebecois.
                                        Cafe' icee in French translates into coffee ice cream- see my difficulty?
                                        Anyways, some personal favorites are:
                                        Green Mountain roasters--The Harvard blend-mellow-made for the Harvard Club in NYC
                                        Dean's Beans--Marakesh Express (dark, french roast style)-often found at Bread and Circus or Whole Foods stores.
                                        Trader Joe's Bay Area Blend
                                        Trader Joe's Costa Rican La Minita Tarrazu
                                        Eight O'Clock Columbian ( I remember the old A&P Supermarket chain, this was their staple)
                                        Also with the opening of new Vietnamese and Thai restaurants, their versions of ice coffee-french roast with sweetened condensed milk, are making more appearances.
                                        DaveM

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                          My favorite coffee is regular (not decaf) served at the counter of a diner 24 hours a day. Its companion might be a breakfast special, the lunch special, a blue plate special, or a slice of the house specialty pie.

seafarer john

RE: Favorite coffee Wed, 07/30/03 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                            Dave M: that's cafe glace'. but it still wont get you any iced coffee in all of Quebec province.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
                                              RE: Favorite coffee Thu, 07/31/03 2:33 AM (permalink)
                                              Best coffee in the world: Brazil. Period.

Sundancer7

RE: Favorite coffee Thu, 07/31/03 5:06 AM (permalink)
                                                I was on a birding trip in Costa Rica and the country is covered with coffee. In fact the Marriott facility I stayed at initially in San Jose was a converted and working coffee plantation.

The climate in Costa Rica is particularly mild which is unusual since it is so close to the equator. They call Costa Rica the land of eternal spring. It gets down in the low 70's every evening and the low 80's during the day. Grows a great mild coffee in the volcanic soil. In fact the volcanos are still active in the region. I did my birding in the northern part of Costa Rica in the mountains close to Nicarauga and we heard the volcanos thumping almost constantly.

Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
                                                  RE: Favorite coffee Thu, 07/31/03 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                                  Sundancer,

As a frequent visitor to Costa Rica (bass fishing at Arenal and beaches at Quepos/Manuel Antonio seem to be our rut) I too have seen coffee growing in every kind of place (including what looks to be backyards by the airport in San Jose), but I have always found the coffee served to be unremarkable, kind of thin, like "hardware store" coffee.
                                                  I would be interested to know your thoughts on this. Is it just me?

On the other hand, one of the reasons I keep going back is that you can't get that delicious elixir "Salsa Lizano" in the US. Have you ever had it. Thick like Pickapeppa, but much more flavorful. Tamarinds and hot peppers for the base (I think). It is great on everything. Buy it by the case.

vinelady

• Total Posts: 162
                                                    RE: Favorite coffee Fri, 08/1/03 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                                    Coffee People's Black Tiger. Caffine and more caffine.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                                                      RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 08/4/03 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      My everday coffee is Dunkin Donuts, black no sugar. The taste is rich and mellow, and beats most other take-out coffee places in NJ.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                                        • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
                                                        RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 08/4/03 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm with Mayhaw Man. I stock up on Community Coffee any time I get within Baton Rouge's distribution range.
                                                        Community had a little Starbuck's imitator chain around Dallas last year called "CC's". Has anyone else seen them around? are they making any headway?

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
                                                          • Location: Seattle, WA
                                                          RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 08/4/03 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                                          You're not imagining things; the best coffee in Central and South America is all exported. Colombians are wacky for Nescafe. Sad, really.

I drink Illy, from Trieste, Italy. It's deep, rich, flavorful, the ground version is as good as the whole beans thanks to the nitrogen packing system, and the body is to die for. I've been known to start and end my day with two triple espresso, one cup, black. God, it's divine.

Eric

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                            • Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                            RE: Favorite coffee Mon, 08/4/03 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                                            Man, there's some great info here. Making notes as fast as I can...

Another one I found a year or so ago is Arbuckle's Ariosa. It's supposed to be the "original cowboy coffee". A little pricy, so I've only ordered it a few times. It's good stuff, though, plus you also get a free peppermint stick! (Said to have been the "bribe" that chuck wagon cooks used to get one of the cowpokes to grind the coffee for them.)

https://id262.securedata.net/arbucklecoffee/index.sphp?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 168

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com