Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Fire Safety Admin
2006/11/10 23:48:18
I'm gonna open this thread and post the actual recipes from the other thread with this name. Please don't use this one for comments but for recipes only.

Thanks,

MikeS.

From Brightcopperkettles;

I have chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery sprinkled with salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence covered with a couple cans of cream of chicken and one can of cream of celery soup going in the crockpot right now, and it is smelling and looking mighty good. Not particularly healthful, probably, but sure smells good, and I was pressed for time.

From Uncle Vic;

My favorite is a box of Uncle Bens wild rice, 1/2 to 1 cup of white rice (both rices uncooked), poured into the bottom of the crockpot.. Add a few carrots, and put some raw chicken thighs or leg quarters on top.. Cover with a can of Cream of Shroom, can of Cream of chicken both mixed togethar with a 1/2 can of milk. Pour it over the mix and let it go 6 to 8 hours (depending on the size of the bird)... Not the most healthy, but sure tastes good... Oh ya, you can dice up an onion and toss over the rice and carrots...

From Dreamzpainter;

I like to take a cheap cut of beef and simmer in stock until it falls apart, adding more onions as they cook away, finally a jarred tomato sauce and a couple more hours simmering. Served over rice or pasta

2 from jvsmon;

I mostly use mine for beef stew (beef, baby carrots, frozen peas and green beans, lots of pepper, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, 2 cans cream of mushroom, an envelope or two of onion soup mix, and several shakes of whatever spices I have on hand at the time). I don't usually use potatoes because I also make a batch of mashed potatoes and the family puts the stew over them.

But another favorite is boneless chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, 2 envelopes of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, and a block (maybe 2, can't quite remember) of cream cheese. It cooks quickly for a crock pot (couple of hours) since the chicken is boneless. Serve over white rice. Mmm-mmm.

From 6star;

On the subject of the thread, I always use the crockpot to make pulled pork for sandwiches from rib tips and other bony cuts.

Hey 6star, maybe you could "flesh' out this receipe some???

2 from BunnySlippers;

Here is my family's favorite and the easiest I can imagine. Very tasty and oh so tender.

Crockpot BBQ Chicken

1 Whole Chicken, washed and dried but not cut up
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce (we like Sweet Baby Ray's)

Place Chicken in Crockpot. Pour BBQ sauce over chicken.
Cook on Low 8-10 hours.

Crockpot Beef and Gravy

1 lg. onion, sliced
2 lbs. Beef cubes
1 can Cream of Tomato Soup
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Place onions in Crockpot, then beef cubes. Add soups and grind black pepper over all. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours.

Great served over Noodles, Rice or Mashed potatoes.

To be continued...

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/10 23:57:55
From halfday;

Pork chops with cream of mushroom soup. I add some onion and some fresh mushrooms. Makes a great gravy for mashed spuds. Sauerkraut and pork too!

From V960;

I am an avid hunter and have found the crock pot to be a great friend of hunter w/ a mixed bag. Rabbits, dove,and squirrel all end up in the bottom of the pot w/ a bit of BBQ sauce and bacon placed on top. Dash of white wine and put on low for six to eight hours. Serve over white rice and enjoy.

From mrf326;

Crock Pot Roast

Put Sliced Onions, Cracked Black Pepper, Crushed Garlic (and whatever other spices you like) plus 1 cup of water in the bottom of the Pot.
Throw in 2-3 lbs. Pot Roast with a Bay Leaf on top.
Set on low in the A.M. Have a nice day and when you return Pot Roast that falls apart. Throw in some Mashed Potatos or Egg Noodles. Easy and YUM!

From greymo;

I really do not have a recipe but this is what I do; it is very forgiving so that you can change spices to suit your taste.

I fill the crockpot with homemade applesauce (sweetened and ready to eat) and then stir in 2 cups sugar, a couple ot Tablespoons of cinnamon, and 1 to 2 tsp. cloves (I sort of "eyeball it".) Cover, and cook on low 12 hours or whatever. When it is thick enough and dark enough to suit your taste, it is finished. Fill your sterilized jars and seal and it is ready to store. I always fill a large jar and put it in the fridge for eating right away. It keeps very well.

You can always cheat a little and buy one of those huge cans of applesauce (Sams, Cosco's and some supermarkets have them) and start with that instead of homemade sauce. No one will ever know the difference.

From MandalayVA;

For pot roast, I put in a chuck roast and baby carrots, then pour a can of Progresso French onion soup over the whole thing and cook on low for at least eight hours. I also like whole chickens seasoned with just salt and pepper--six hours is enough so you have a juicy breast and it's not falling apart. I chill the liquid left over, skim off the fat the next day, and it's GREAT broth--I freeze it and use it for soup bases and cooking.

From Scorereader;

seeing how I have a job and can't stand over a stove top all day. I like to use my crock pot for homemade tomato sauce, ya know - when you have the meatballs and sausage simmering in it for a few hours. works like a charm.

From PapaJoe8;

Neat! Everything sounds yummy!! Ok, here is one of mine. Slice 2 large onions cross ways so big pedels can be peeled off. Place the larger pedels in the bottom of the pot. Now add a serloin roast, season with garlic and whatever other seasonings you like. Cavenders greek seasoning is my fav but I have used lots of others. Then cover the top with sliced jalapeno that has had the seeds rinsed out. I've used pickled and fresh, and like either. Top with the rest of the onion. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. Fire up the crock and when the roast is not quite done slice it into large chunks and let it cook in the juice till it is done. I serve it with pleanty of juice over a baked potato or rice. It's kinda spicy but good!
Joe

From shortchef;

do about five pounds of sirloin tip; first I brown it and put it in the crock pot, add a big chopped onion, three minced cloves of garlic, a cup of dry sherry, some salt and pepper (however much you like), and some of my own beef stock--a cup or so. If I don't have any beef stock I use two tablespoons of the beef paste from a jar. Cook it all day until it falls apart, take it out and shred it; refrigerate the juices and take off the fat, then moisten the shredded meat with that. We just pile this on the plate and eat it with mashed potatoes. A good winter comfort food.

To be continued....
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 00:06:42
From Bearhit;

This is one of my faves - similar to a Cubano

CUBAN ROAST BEEF

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 oz Ham, smoked, chopped fine
4 oz Bacon, chopped fine
8 oz Onion, minced
1 oz Capers, minced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
2 oz Green Olives, coarse chop
1 tb Green Chiles, minced
3 lb Eye Round Roast
Salt & Pepper, to taste
2 oz Bacon fat
8 oz Stock
4 oz Tomato sauce
1 tb Vinegar

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix the first 7 ingredients to make a stuffing.

Make an incision 1 1/2" to 2" deep along the length of
the roast

Stuff the stuffing into the incision. Salt and pepper
the roast.

Brown the roast on all sides in bacon fat in a large
heavy casserole Add all the rest of the ingredients
and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat
is very tender. Check once or twice to make sure that
the liquid is not boiling away. Add water or unsalted
stock as necessary.

his next post down... " should clarify - we do cook it in the crockpot."

From BrooklynBill;

BEAN SOUP

1 lb. Beans (Navy, Great Northern, or mixed) –soak overnight
½ c. or more celery leaves etc.
2 Qts. Water
1 medium onion chopped
½ plus lb. smoked. pork neck bones
2-3 bay leaves
1 small can of tomato sauce (optional) If choose this, reduce the water by an = vol.
½ tsp. Black pepper
2 dashes or more of Tabasco & some sherry (options to be added near end of cooking process)
1 or 2 bullion cubes to taste (also optional)

After soaking overnight, discard water and rinse beans.
Then combine all ingredients in a sloe cooker.
Cook on high for 5, 6, or more hrs.
Carefully remove all bones, bay leaves etc.

Hope you enjoy.
Bill

From Jimeats;

I bought one of those small cheap one from Walgreens for unde $10 bucks. I use it every day for oatmeal {steel cut} fix it at night and it's ready in the morning. Great investment. Chow Jim

From Adjudicator;

tried this one time. Used same as a base recipe & added other ingredients, etc. I thought it was pretty good:

Italian Beef (Crock-Pot)

1 3-5 lb boneless rump or sirloin roast
2 Tbs dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
1-1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 (10-oz) can beef broth
1 (12-oz) can of beer
1/2 jar pepperoncini peppers, with 1/2 of the juice in the jar

Put roast in crock-pot.
Pour in liquid and peppers, top with dried seasonings.
Cook on high for about 6 hours.
Remove and slice or shred as desired.
Return to crock pot with liquid and cook for 1-2 hours more
Serve with hard rolls, soaked in lots of the juice.

From Sundancer7;

Folks, I know this will not excite those of you who are culinary gifted but this worked for me real well.

I bought a chuck roast with no bone and some fat, some Yukon gold potatoes, small onions, carrots, garlic, celery and some beef stew spices.

I added a little water to the crock pot which just about covered the roast and I cooked it on low in the crock pot for eight hours.

I made a cast iron skillet full of Tennessee fried cornbread. I got the skillet very hot (450F) and I sprinkled some cornmeal in the bottom and then I added the batter which contained some Mexican corn, diced jalapeno, bell peppers and onions.

I let the cornbread bake at 450F for about 50 minutes. Great thick crust and I timed it so it would be ready when the beef stew was completely cooked and falling apart tender without being overdone.

I sliced the cornbread and split it and added some lightly salted real butter.

From unalaskawoman;

I cook a huge batch of onions, shallots, and garlic, for about 24 hours on low, until nice and carmelized, and freeze them in small batches to add to recipes as needed in the future

And still more to come.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 00:16:54
From enginecaptain;

My favorite crock pot recipe is my cocktail meatballs. I make up a batch of my regular Italian style meatballs, but half the size of a golf ball. I quickly brown them off then dump them in the crock with an extra large sized bottle of grape jelly and one of Russian dressing. Cook on low all day stirring once or twice, then serve over rice or take them to a party and watch them be the first thing to disappear on the serving line.

From Poopy;

put a can of saurkraut in the bottom and lay brautwurst on top. Then I just barely cover with beer. I usually use Miller Genuine Draft or Pabst Blue Ribbon. I also add some onion salt and pepper and cook on low for about 8 hours. YUMMMMMMMY

From improviser;

Keep in mind, I'm a beginner. I went with a simple recipe and you can't get much simpler than this:

Pepsi Chicken

1 can of Pepsi or Coke
1 envelope Lipton's Onion Soup mix.
Chicken Breasts

Place Breasts in crockpot. Mix Pepsi and soup mix together in bowl, pour over chicken. Cook on low 8 hours or 4 hours on high.

Surprisingly tasty. Chicken was very tender. I brought a knife but didn't need it.

From fhoran, who puts some very good advice in with the receipe...;

My crockpot(s) are sometimes the only thing standing between my family and another night of takeout. Like a lot of us, I don't have time for a lot of cooking during the week. Throwing stuff in the crockpot and having a great meal when you get home from work is a wonderful thing(I have recently discovered that remembering to turn it on before leaving in the morning makes the food taste better - feel free to use that tip with your own family). A chuck or bottom round (trimmed of as much fat as possible - it will still be moist) with a couple of cans of mushroom soup and a package of onion soup cooked for 10 hours and served with mashed potatoes. What could be easier and even the food snobs in my family love it. Oh, and Bear Hit, you just solved my dilemna of what to have for dinner tonight! The Cuban Roast Beef looks like a winner! Thanks! Fred

From cwjudyjr;

Place a frozen pork loin in the crock with a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook on low, while away or at work, and come home to delicious BBQ Pulled Pork. It pulls apart easily. If the crock has an auto mode, 2 hours high - then auto goes to low for the remaining time, then this cooks faster.

From Big Ugly Mich;

My favorite slow cooker recipe is this:
about 3 pound boneless roast. Beef, pork or chicken breasts all work fine.
One 18 ounce bottle of whatever barbecue sauce is on sale.

Pour both into a 6 quart cooker and put on low for eight hours.

Pull the meat apart with two forks.

Put the lid back on for another hour (DO NOT skip this step. The roasts aren't cooked through because you didn't add enough liquid when you first put them in the cooker).

From The HotPepper.com;

Beef short ribs slowly simmered in a sweet sauce with chilis and ginger.

From TwoJays;

Hungarian Goulash:

From P. 81 of "Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cooking" - we usually double this recipe and freeze the leftovers for 4-5 future meals:

1.5 Lbs stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Lg. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
2 TBSP tomato paste
1-2 TBSP Hungarian paprika (not "hot")

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 water
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

Place meat in a slow cooker; cover w/ onion & garlic. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, water, tomato paste & paprika. Pour over meat mixture. Cover & cook on LOW 8-9 hours. Turn control to HIGH. In a small bowl, combine flour, water & sour cream/yogurt. Stir into meat mixture. Cook uncovered on HIGH 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve over cooked noodles or rice (we prefer it over white rice). Sprinkle w/ dill or poppy seeds (we don't do this).

Note: I usually add a little more salt, and sometimes a bit of "Essence" or Cajun seasoning, just to give it a little kick.

By now you know the drill...

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 00:32:46
From foodbme;

This one is a little more complicated but good. Use a FRESH Ham, not a cured or smoked ham, small enough to fit your pot. You can get your butcher to cut the hock off so you can get a bigger ham. Save the hock for future use. Fire up your grill and use wood chips to smoke it and smoke/cook it low & slow over indirect heat until it gets to an internal temp of 100 degrees. Transfer to your crock pot. Add some smoked flavor BBQ Sauce and cook it for 6-8 hours depending on size until it gets to the "pulley meat". stage. Remove and shread it. Makes a great BBQ Samich

From Big Ugly Mich;

CROCK POT APPLE BUTTER
7 cups applesauce, unsweetened (we northerners get to make our own )
2 cups apple cider
1 1/2 cups honey
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice

In a crockpot, mix all ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 14 to 15 hours, or until the mixture is deep brown. Pack while hot into 4 hot pint jars. Process in hot-water bath for 10 minutes, counting the time after the jars have been immersed and the water comes again to a rolling boil. Makes 4 pints.

From improviser;

Like I said before, Sundays are crockpot days. This past Sunday I made Swedish Meatballs (although I'm sure actual Swedish meatballs don't involve two cans of Campbells soups.)

Frozen meatballs (one day I'll learn to make my own)
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can of Golden Mushroom Soup
1 enevelope brown gravy mix
1 can of beef broth

Cook on high for three hours. Not bad. Our dog especially enjoyed the leftover gravy.

From brlawson;

Take a 2-3 pound shoulder beef roast, salt & pepper then brown on all sides in a skillet before putting in the crock pot--not really necessary, but it you get the good carmelization thing going. A boneless chuck roast would probably work as well.

Add a large onion sliced and broken into rings--

Follwed by a can of, yes, cream of mushroom soup.

Cook for about 8 hours. Mashed potatoes are an absolute necessity, because the onions and mushroom soup make a killer gravy.

From fishmonger, I snipped off a bit to get to the receipe.;

kraut along with a couple of sliced onions, 2 sliced apples, 3 or 4 pounds of country style pork ribs, topped with the sauerkraut, a little cider, beef broth, caraway seeds and brown sugar. After 8 hours, we and company enjoyed this with mashed potatoes, What a joy!

From ynottryme;

my favorite is : 4 ham hocks, 2 cans of chicken broth, add water until the pot is 3/4 full, 1 pkg. of good seasons italian seasonings, 1 chopped onion, and 4 hrs in , I add a bag of frozen lima beans. 4 or 5 hrs later, yum yum. With a loaf of fresh Italian bread and butter, it makes a wonderful meal,especially on a cold day.

From packerwmn;

Since there are only 2 of us at home, I have to be creative with the crock pot so we don't have to eat the same thing for a week. What I like to do is start with a chuck roast and add simple seasonings - onion soup mix or vidalia onion dressing, some garlic, or even just a brown/beef gravy mix. I don't usually add more than 1/3c. liquid, sometime no liquid at all if I'm using the onion dressing. Cook until fork tender. Serve the first night as a beef and gravy dinner with potatoes. Then I divide the leftovers into 2 portions. To one I will add taco seasoning and have the best soft shell tacos you've ever had. The other half may get BBQ sauce for sandwiches or just added to rice or noodles with more gravy. This way we get a variety of meals out of one roast. Convenient and delicious!

From sneetch;

there's nothing like a big crockpot of chili-mac...
1 1/2 lbs. ground meat
2 large onions (less if you don't love them like i do)
saute the above until both are cooked through, drain well and add to crockpot with:
1 can corn, drained
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 can red kidney beans, half-drained (the beany goop adds to the flavor )
chili powder to taste (about 2 tblspns)
cumin (about 1 - 2 tspns)
dash of cinnamon
sliced fresh jalapenos, if you like a little fire(or whole dried red chilis if you like alot!)
cook on high for 3-4 hours, 6-8 on low...when chili is done, cook up a box of mac n' cheese (the "deluxe" kind with the cheese sauce in foil pouch)...mix the finished mac n' cheese in another very large pot with the chili (it all won't fit unless you've got a crockpot that's bigger than 5 quarts!)...wait 5 minutes to give the noodles a chance to absorb some of the chili flavor, and devour...

From annpeeples;

One large onion,sliced and put on the bottom of the crockpot.Brown a small pork rosat,seasoned with salt and pepper.Place on top of onions.1 tbsp chopped garlic,1tbsp soy sauce,3/4 cup water.Turn on high and cook 8 hours.I then use the reserved juice and mix it with a package of Knorr pork gravy mix-pour over all.Truly wonderful and tender!

From Scarlett;

Pork Roast

Small whole sweet potatoes
One 3-pound pork roast
1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce (use the jelly if you don't like the seeds from the cranberries).
1 can (5.5 ounces) apricot nectar
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Place the potatoes in a 3 1/2-quart (or larger) slow cooker, then place the roast over the potatoes. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; mix well and pour over the roast. Cover and cook on the low setting for 5 to 6 hours. (check temp with meat thermomete) Remove the roast to a cutting board and thinly slice. Serve with the potatoes and sauce/gravy

I use a cooking bag made for slow cookers. I drain of the liquid into a sauce pan and while the roast is resting reduce and thicken the gravy.

From tarragon;

Made a beef stew in my crock pot last night (Sunday):

Package of stew beef, which I cut into smaller pieces, seasoned with the salt-free lemon pepper and garlic/herb seasonings, then dredged in flour (actually, in one of those ziplock bags.

Then I sauteed the beef cubes, along with a small chopped onion in olive oil, in the crock pot on the stove--my crock pot has a pot and a base, and you can cook in the pot on the stove. As the beef and onion were browning, I added a splash of sherry as well as a few splashes of worcestershire sauce.

After the meat and onion were browned sufficiently, I set the pot into the crock pot base, added a cup of beef broth (low sodium of course!), and set the pot to medium heat.

After the beef had been cooking for about 4 hours, I added in 2-3 sliced carrots, 3 chopped potatoes and another onion, chopped. The stew continued to cook for another couple of hours.

When it was ready, I served it over rice. Delicious, and just right for this time of year when the temps turn cooler!

From Nola56;

I found the most incredible pot roast recipe on the net a couple of months ago. I have made it several times and told friends who have tried it & loved it as well. And it couldn't be easier.

chuck roast
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1 envelope McCormick's Brown Gravy Mix
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1/2 cup water
black pepper to taste

Empty dry mixes in a ziplock bag & shake together well. Pepper the meat, place in slow cooker, sprinkle with the dry seasonings & add the water to the bottom of the crock. (Don't pour over top of meat.) Cook on slow for 7 to 10 hours until the meat falls apart...depends on the size of the roast.

This makes a good bit of gravy that goes well potatoes or noodles. And though I rarely like re-heated beef, this is delicious leftover as well.

From Brad_Olson;

Crock-potting is my favorite way to cook corned beef. I usually take a prepackaged flat, put it, its juice, and the seasonings into the crock, fill with water up to just below the rim, and cook on low for 9-11 hours. Makes the house smell great and is one of my favorite midweek meals in winter.

And another hit from improviser; Thanks Imp

Yesterday was Crockpot Sunday at improviser's house. I made sweet and spicy meatballs.

Meatballs
1 bottle of chili sauce
1 bottle of cocktail sauce
1 (12 oz) jar currant jelly
1 (12 oz) jar grape jelly

Cook on low for 6 hours or so. Turned out pretty good. They weren't really spicy but they were tasty. I think you could probably reduce the amount of grape jelly to cut down on the sweetness. And I was thinking of adding some sriracha (or however you spell that) hot sauce to the mix. That would kick up the hotness, methinks

From BillB.;

Fill a crock pot with meaty beef short ribs and a large onion, chunked. Pour in a couple of bottles of your favorite beer and let simmer on low for eight hours. Cook potatoes and carrots in a separate pot so you can squeeze in the maximum amount of short ribs...

From Relentless;

We use a crockpot quite a bit, especially during the colder months & have a couple of favorites. The first...Pot Roast is quite similar to one posted earlier.

Take a 2-3 lb chuck roast & brown in a skillet with a little oil. Slice a large onion and place half of the slices under the roast and half on top. Add two cans of beef broth, a couple of cloves of garlic and a bay leaf. Cook on low all day. When you get home remove the meat from the pot & thicken the liquid with a little cornstarch if needed. Remove fat, bone & gristle from the meat and return to pot. Microwave half a bag of baby carrots & throw them in the pot along with the meat. Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans or whatever suits you. I guarantee this will stand up to anybody's pot roast. Prep time is less than 15 minutes.

Pork & Kraut- Crockpots were made for this! I use spareribs or pork chops, or a mixture of both. Start with a layer of kraut, then pork till the pot is about 3/4 full. Sprinkle a few carroway seeds in as you go along. Cook on low all day. This is just a killer meal...one of my all time favorites. However, the after effects of the kraut are killer too

Both of these beg for a big slab of skillet cornbread slathered in butter. Do we have a cornbread thread here?

From abe_froeman;

I just used this recipe on Monday:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maries-easy-slow-cooker-pot-roast/detail.aspx

I also added fresh mushrooms and browned the steak in some red wine (which I added to the crock pot instead of the water.) It was very good.

A friend from my old job gave me her recipe for BBQ pork roast in the slow cooker, but I have misplaced it. From what I remember, it was a 2-4 lb pork roast, 1 cup of ketchup, 1 can of beer (use cheap stuff, and not dark), a cup or so of BBQ sauce (I used a mixture of Roadhouse original, Roadhouse Hot and whichever variety of Gates I had in the house). Add salt and pepper, too. Let it cook for 6-8 hours. Dump all the liquid out and use 2 forks to shred up the pork. Then add some more BBQ sauce in, to taste. Serve on buns. It was sooooo good.

6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 10:49:46
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

I'm gonna open this thread and post the actual recipes from the other thread with this name. Please don't use this one for comments but for recipes only.

Thanks,

MikeS.

From 6star;

On the subject of the thread, I always use the crockpot to make pulled pork for sandwiches from rib tips and other bony cuts.

Hey 6star, maybe you could "flesh' out this receipe some???

from my posting on “what goes into a crock pot??????” ( http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4790 ):

Although I am sure many of you bar-b-que pros will be screaming bloody murder, I do what I consider to be a delicious pulled pork for sandwiches in my crock pot. I put in any bony cut of pork, the cheaper the better (rib tips have the best taste) and alternate the layers with sprinklings of onion flakes until I fill the crock pot. No liquid added (it draws its own juice). I cook on high for 8 to 10 hours, until you can easily pull the bones out of the meat with your fingers (but don't burn your fingers). At that point, I pull the meat apart with a couple of forks (and make sure there are no bone fragments left), turn the pot down to low, and pour in some bar-b-que sauce (the quantity depends on how much meat there is left and how strong a flavor you like). It then gets cooked for another hour (or longer if you like). At this point, extra you don't use right away can be refrigerated for several days, or frozen for a longer time.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 12:13:14
I do a brisket about the same as 6star except I just cook it on low 9 hrs. or so. If I'm in a hurry I might start it on high for a few hrs. I have a big oblong crock that will just barly hold a whole brisket. It takes some cooking for the lid to close sometimes. I use some Cavenders greek seasoning, SnP, garlic, onions, and a few jalapenos with the seeds rinsed. I take the brisket out when it's almost done and put the juice in a small container in the freezer. In about 30 minutes I take the grease off the top and put the juice back in the crock on high till it heast up. Then put the brisket back in. This is a bit of trouble but the juice from a brisket is usually real greasy and the dog likes the grease. I guess a trimed brisked would not be so greasy, but I think the ones cooked with the fat still on tast better.

I take some when it's done and put in a small pot w/ BBQ sauce. This is not BBQ but it is brisket w/ BBQ sauce. Some of my crew likes it best right out of the crock, me included. This is about same as my serloin recipe above except fot the sauce and juice thing. Oh, and we always make some brisket tacos with some of it. Just put some brisket in a small pot with some salsa verde green sauce and cook it for a while. I use the stringy part of the brisket for the tacos. All this works for a pork roast also, even the tacos.

I hope it's alright to say... nice job Mike!
Joe
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 12:22:08
I enjoy a well marbeled chuck roast along with beef stew veggies, spices, lotsa onions and beef stock.

About six hours on low produces a very tender roast and tasty veggies and gravy. Very good with Tennessee cornbread.a

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/11 15:40:09
I don’t use my crockpot that often but this is one thing that I like made better in the crockpot than the oven. The cabbage seems to stay firmer.

CROCKPOT STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

12 large cabbage leaves
1 beaten egg
1/ 4 cup milk
1/ 4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 tsp. salt
1/ 4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
1 (8 oz,) can tomato sauce
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Immerse cabbage leaves in large kettle of boiling water for about 3 minutes or until limp; drain and set aside until cooled off. Chop about 1 cup of the extra cabbage into big pieces and put in the bottom of the crockpot.

Combine egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, beef and rice. Place about 1/ 4 cup meat mixture in center of each leaf; fold in sides and roll ends over meat. Place in crockpot. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours.

If you want more sauce, add another can of tomato sauce during the last hour of cooking. Makes 6 servings. Note: This is the basic recipe but there are many variations. Substitute 1/ 2 bulk sausage or ground pork for part of the ground meat. Add herbs to the meat mixture, etc.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/13 14:56:42
Crock Pot Mac and Cheese

1 (16oz) pkg macaroni, cooked to directions on package
5 TBSP olive oil
1 (13oz) can evaporated milk
1 cup milk
1 cup half and half
4 cups cheddar cheese
2 TBSP adobo sauce
pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp smoked paprika
chile oil for garnish
red pepper flakes for garnish

Put macaroni into a large bowl, pour oil over the pasta and toss well

In crock pot put together all ingredients except garnishes

cook on low for heat for 2 hours, stirring occaisionally

served with chile oil and red pepper flakes

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/15 11:46:20
A tasty and easy crock pot recipe is to throw in come chicken and vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.) with "berbere" which is a spice mix from Ethiopia. Sort of like a paprika flavoring but much more complex. Also works fine with beef, etc. This is a very exotic and different crock pot dish, but great!

You can buy it in DC or other cities with Ethiopian population, but also on line:

http://www.ethiopianspices.com/
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/19 00:39:44
From Acornlover;

I did split pea soup yesterday
1 pkg split peas
6 cups water (addding more as it cooked)
1 carrot diced
1 onion diced
1 small potato diced
1 bay leaf
ham hock/I used left over ham scraps
Healthy choice keilbasa- 1/4 sliced
Toss in crockpot, cook on high 6-8 hrs then low over night. Put into thermos at 5 am and we had it for lunch today-it was very cold and rainy out, the soup hit the spot!
I have chicken and rice in there right now, maybe dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/11/19 00:42:10
From PCC;

Crock Pot Apple Butter

I went to a "Homemaking in the Mountains" event by Extension Homemakers of Pike County, KY, and this recipe was being served with biscuits.

10-12 lbs apples
5 cups sugar
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. allspice
1 tbsp. cloves
1/4 cup water

Peel, core and slice apples. Combine apples and water. Cook until tender. Mash through sieve (cooked apples should measure to be 8 cups). Mix the apples and other ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally. Makes 5 pints.
Poopy
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/12/08 07:58:41
This was one of my favorites as a kid!

Combine all in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours +/-

1 pork roast
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
1 can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 sliced onion
1 can of Pepsi

We ate it servced over buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/12/11 03:00:37
From desertdog;

Here's a Cajun Pot Roast I got workin' in the Crock Pot right now...

Put incisions in the meat and inserted garlic throughout...

Rubbed it down with some Penzey's Cajun rub...

Threw it on the grill for about ten minutes...

Diced up the onions and peppers....added corn...

Mixed the diced tomatoes with hot sauce and black pepper...

Tossed it all into the crock...should be ready 'bout gametime!

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/12/15 11:11:44

Made this last night. Tasty!

Crockpot Brisket

2 1/2 pounds beef brisket
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
12 ounces chili sauce
12 ounces beer (I used Shiner Bock)
Place beef brisket, fat side down, in crockpot. Sprinkle brisket with onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour chili sauce over brisket. Cook in crockpot on low for 3 hours. Pour beer over brisket. Increase temperature to moderate and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Place brisket on large serving platter. Slice brisket very thin and serve with hot cooking liquid.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2006/12/21 20:29:24
I got this from Kraft thru my email.
I tried it tonight. Tasty but a little salty.
I thought the idea of using the stuffing for dumplings was crazy at first, but IT WORKS!
I think that is why it is too salty.
I got about 14 dumplings out of the stuffing package.

Slow-Cooked Chicken & Dumplings
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 11 hr min
Makes: 6 servings, about 1-3/4 cups each

1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
2-1/2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 cups each chopped onions, celery and carrots
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup (1/2 of 8-oz. tub) PHILADELPHIA Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
3/4 cup hot water
2 eggs, lightly beaten

COMBINE chicken, broth, onions, celery and carrots in slow cooker; cover with lid.
COOK on LOW for 8 to 10 hours (or on HIGH for 3-1/2 hours).
ADD peas and cream cheese spread; stir until well blended. Mix stuffing mix, water and eggs until well blended. Drop stuffing mixture, 2 heaping tablespoonfuls at a time, onto chicken mixture in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on HIGH 30 min. Gently turn over dumplings. Cook, covered, an additional 15 min.

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
Jazz It Up
Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley just before serving.

**my personal notes**
I used chicken breast instead.
My thoughts on the Chive/Cream Cheese mixture.
You can probably get away with using the whole 8 oz. tub.
I think one cup of peas is too many.
I also had some leftover corn and cabbage, which I also added to it.

I wish my camera were better!
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/01/02 06:39:49
Yesterday I cooked corned beef brisket for New Year's Day. This time, I used the crock pot, and the corned beef came out fantastic! It was tender and juicy and the house smelled good too. It's pretty simple, you just put the brisket in the crock pot, fat side down, add about 1 cup of water (takes less water than if you cook on the top of the stove), add the packet of spices, put the lid on, and turn the crock pot to low. Let it cook for about 4-6 hours, then add some chopped onion, potatoes and carrots and let cook about another hour or so. You could add cabbage as well; I didn't yesterday but that would be traditional. If I'd had cabbage, I would have added it, I guess--it's one of the few occasions that I actually like cooked cabbage. LOL The corned beef was delicious.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/01/25 01:06:30
From heavy liquid;

recently made Beef Burgundy which I thought turned out very tasty and I was really happy with. I used a recipe from America's Test Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated). I didn't do too much improvisation, as this was my first time cooking it.

It's a great recipe for people who work long hours and don't want to spend a lot of time cooking when they get home. And it's always a plus to be greeted to the wonderful smells when you come home!

Only about half of the wine is added in the beginning, with the rest added at the end after it's reduced. This is because if you cooked it all at once, it would turn sour over the nine hours it takes to cook.

What you need:

8 oz. bacon chopped
4 lbs stew beef (chuck preferably)
1 large onion chopped fine
2 carrots chopped fine
8 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
4 tbs. tomato paste
2 1/2 cups Pinot Noir or Burgundy wine
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 or 4 bay leaves
3 tbs. Minute Tapioca
3 tbs. minced fresh parsley
2 cups pearl onions
10 oz white mushrooms, quartered

See this thread for more info and great pics.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17679
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/02/02 14:46:41
Make sure to serve with crusty bread to dip into the juices!

4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 medium onions, sliced
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3/4 cup regular beer or non-alcoholic beer
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Trim excess fat from beef.
Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place onions in 3 1/2-to 6-quart slow cooker.
Place beef on onions.
Mix remaining ingredients; pour over beef and onions.
Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
Remove beef and onions from cooker, using slotted spoon.
Cut beef into slices.
Skim fat from beef juices in cooker if desired.
Serve beef with juices

This is delicious-I use it all the time...
post edited by annpeeples - 2009/01/31 20:13:11
V960
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/02/24 13:31:45
John A,
Nice bamboo cutting board.

Had this one a few weeks ago at a friend's cabin in the NC mountains. Nothing but the guys but among the six guys there are three veryy good cooks. One of the others was going through the freezer and decided the dogs should get the deer shanks. Being guys w/ no women around to go "YUCK" we took them back from the dogs and washed them. Deer shanks, carrots, can of tomatoes and onions into the crock pot at dawn. Carrots and onions in cheesecloth bag for easy removal. Auto setting on the crock pot

Five o'clock we return from plowing, repairing fence lines and general repairs around the place. Carrot and onion bag is discarded (actually the dogs got it) and in seperate pots go carrots (a slice or two of ginger added), potatoes, small onions, turnips and a monster daikon root.

I feel that cooking the veggies away from the meat and not in the crockpot added another level of flavor. They were "bright in taste" and w/o that mushy texture common to vegetables cooked in a crockpot. Served w/ a nice green salad (even added some of last year's ramps from the freezer just to po the wives when we got home), stir fried green beans and biscuits. Ramps make you stink like you ate a bushel of raw garlic but is VERY good for your heart.

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/03/05 16:40:22
Crockpot Ranch Chicken

4 to 6 chicken breasts or thighs
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 8oz. sour cream

Place chicken in crockpot. Mix soup, dressing mix, and sour cream together, pour over chicken. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
rmcfadin
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/03/26 17:44:52
This one is oh so easy and oh so good...

3-4 lb. Beef roast (I like Chuck it has enough fat)
1 package brown gravy mix
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 package Italian dressing mix

mix packages together and top roast with the mixes, add 3/4 cup water to crockpot pouring over roast, being careful not to wash off mixes. cook long and slow. it forms a sticky glaze on top and a tasty gravy.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/03/30 16:31:01
This one came in my email today.. Yet to try it, but should be tasty, not to mention simple.

BLOODY MARY SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN:

4 chicken breasts
1 (33 7/8 ounce) bottle bloody mary mix (extra spicy okay)
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped

Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove any fat from the chicken and place in the slow cooker.
Pour the Bloody Mary mix over the chicken breasts and add the chopped vegetables. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with rice or hot noodles.
mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/05/22 20:51:49
This is absolutely incredible and if you don't tell anyone, they probably would never guess you made it in a crockpot.

CROCKPOT CHICKEN CASSOULET

1 whole chicken cut up, skin on, bone-in
1 1/2# kielbasa sausage cut in 1/2" thick slices
2 cans Italian cannellini beans - I use Progresso, drained
1 onion, medium dice
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or for milder taste for those that garlic bothers, slice each clove in half and remove the kernel or core and add the halves
3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely minced 9can use regular curly but much better with Italian)
Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste (go lite on the salt as it really doesn't take much)
1/2 cup white wine - I use pinot grigio

Place all the ingredients in the crockpot and let cook for 6 hours. Serve with good crusty bread.

Other tips:
If I really want a nice presentation on this dish, I take an extra step and get a nice browning on the chicken on one side before putting in crockpot and put it on the top barely nestled into everything else.

To stretch for a crowd cheaply, use all thighs and add extra beans and susage - - you can really stretch this cheaply and easily. Don't necessarily need to double the amount of garlic or wine though.

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/07/10 12:54:42
My co-worker just gave me this recipe- I'm going to try it this weekend and let y'all know how it is:

These are listed in order of putting them in the crock pot, bottom to top:

- 1/2 bottle of cheap red or white wine (just *NOT* sherry)
- 1 carton of chicken broth (like the large tetra paks; not sure on the exact measurement)
- 8 oz brick of cream cheese, softened and squeezed into the liquid- make sure it's mostly submerged or
it will dry out and be icky.
- 6 or so boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- mushrooms (washed, but kept whole)
- frozen broccoli (fresh will get soggy faster)
- sprinkle seasonings over top, such as garlic, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, etc.

Cook for 6 hours on low setting. If it seems like it needs to be thickened, add more parmesan- you don't want to use flour or something- it will get all gravy-esque.

Sorry about the lack of precise measurements, but I'll assume anyone on this site has enough cooking common sense to work this out. I'll post again after I make it!
Lilo
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/09/30 19:59:12
Pretty Spectacular Potroast
2 1/2-3 lb. chuck roast
4 med. onions, quartered & separated
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
2 tsp garlic powder
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
Salt and lots of fresth ground black pepper

Sear meat. Put everything in crockpot, then the roast. Make sure the roast is covered in wine and water. Cook til it almost falls apart. Use drippings to make gravy
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/10/05 08:49:01
Pork chops in V-8 over noodles.

Prety easy

Tony
stricken_detective
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/10/06 19:26:25
Stricken's Mom's Beef Roast

1 boneless beef roast, 5 pounds or so
1# bag of carrots
5-6 white potatoes
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix

Peel carrots & cut in half, put in bottom of slow cooker. Put roast on top of the carrots. Peel & quarter potatoes and put them over the meat. Sprinkle the whole thing with the onion soup mix. Cook about 8 hours on medium. You can use the leftovers to make beef stew later in the week.
NonnieD
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/10/06 21:13:46
HI,LOVE TO USE THE CROCK POT

CHICKEN PIECES (WHATEVER YOU LIKE)
COUPLE CANS TOMATO SAUCE
ONION AND BELLPEPPER MUSHROOMS CHOPPED/SLICED
GARLIC WE LIKE A LOT
PEPPER
BASIL TABLESPOOM
ITALIAN (SP?) SEASONING MAYBE A TABLESPOON
COOK UNTILL DONE 6 HOURS OR SO.
MAKE SOME RICE OR PASTA.SOME GOOD BREAD AND DINNER IS DONE.
I HAVE EVEN THROWN SOME LIL RED PATS IN THERE.
I DON'T MEASURE TOO MUCH
SORRY ABOUT THE ALLCAPS KEY IS WAY STUCK.
NonnieD
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/10/06 21:30:47
EASY CROCK POT SPAGHETTI GRAVY

I BUY A BIG CAN LIKE A GALLON I THINK OF TOMATO SAUCE
THE NIGHT BEFORE I GO TO BED, I PUT A SMALL ROAST OR A STEAK WHATEVER I
HAVE, PUT THE MEAT AND AND SALT AND PEPPER A COUPLE GARLIC CLOVES
OK PUT IT ON LOW COOK, WHEN YOU GET UP AFTER COFFEE,
DRAIN THE JUICE, SAVE FOR SOUP, NOW ADD (KINDA CHOP UP YOUR MEAT.)
TOMATO SAUCELOTS OF FOLLOWING FRESH GARLIC, BASIL,PARSLEY, MUSHROOMS
ITALIAN SEASONINGS, I LIKE A TABLESPOON OF SUGAR IN MINE.
MIX IT ALL IN THERE COOK ON LOW AND AT DINNER YOU HAVE SOME GRAVY OVER NOODLES, AND IF YOU DON'T WANT TO COOK THE MEAT, BROWN SOME HAMBUGER AND PUT IT THERE INSTEAD OR GROUND TURKEY IF YOU DON'T DO BEEF.
ENJOY.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/10/30 13:11:50
Try this one:

Pulled BBQ Cola Pork Sandwiches

Ingredients: 2lbs or so of boneless sparerib meat (must be boneless!), 20 oz. bottle of cola, salt, pepper, Chinese 5 spice seasoning, your favorite BBQ sauce.

1) Night before, brown meat in a little olive oil and butter, and sprinkle with seasonings as it browns.

2) Next day, put chilled, browned meat into crockpot. Pour cola over it, set at low for 7-8 hours.

3) Pour off cola and drippings. Pull and shred meat with two forks. Pour BBQ sauce on the meast and mix in. Heat through for another half-hour or so.

Good and easy.

- Rusty
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/11/12 18:54:52
Crock Pot Venison

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but gun hunting season for Deer starts later this week! (A true Michigan Holiday to say the least).. Was searching for a article in my documents and came across this one.. (I think this one came from the late Chef Tell)..

Venison in a Crock Pot

Ingredients

2 1/2 to 3 lbs your favorite roast - can be venison, beef, pork or turkey
1 Medium Onion, Diced
2 teaspoons minced Garlic
12 Oz. Can of Tomato Paste
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Tobasco
1 small can (4 1/2 oz) diced green chili peppers
12 Oz. beer

Directions
Trim fat from meat and place in crock pot. Add the other ingredients to the crock pot, covering the meat.
Cover and cook on low heat setting for 10 hours or high heat setting for 5 hours, unitl meat is tender.
Remove cooked roast from crock pot, thinly slicing across the grain and removing any fat or bones.
Return meat to crock pot and stir.
Scoop on to buns or Kaiser rolls along with your favorite condiments (mustard, pickles, Onion) etc and enjoy
porkbeaks
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/11/17 08:40:44
This is really good on hot dogs.

Crockpot sweet and sour cabbage recipe, with bacon bits and tangy sauce.
INGREDIENTS:
4 to 5 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 medium head red cabbage shredded
1/4 cup finely chopped onion, or 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
PREPARATION:
Cook bacon in skillet until crisp; set aside. Combine 2 to 3 teaspoons of bacon drippings in slow cooker with sugar, flour, salt and pepper. Stir in water and vinegar. Add shredded cabbage and onion; stir to blend all ingredients. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours. Sprinkle cooked bacon over the top.
Serves 6 to 8.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/11/17 09:06:01
This is for hot beef sandwiches served on good fresh bakery rolls:
3-4 lb. chuck roast
1 can campbells french onion soup
2 cans au jus
1 can beef gravy.
Brown chuck in fry pan,place in crockpot.Mix next 3 ingredients and pour over roast.Cook on high setting 6-7 hours until very tender.Shred meat with fork and serve on buns with a slice of provolone.Note-if you think its too dry, heat up and additional can of beef gravy or french onion soup and add to mix.
seatown76
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/12/08 11:38:34
Well the wife picked up one Sirloin Tip Beef Roast and a Pork Sirloin Rib Roast so I decided to put a rub on them and put them in the slow cooker. I never have tried the two together before. I have decided to make a mixed pulled meat mixture. I layered the bottom of the slow cooker with one large onion and chopped garlic. Then poured in about two cups of beef broth. Too bad the wife didn't pick up my prefered roast the Boston Butt roast. These seem a little too lean for me.

More photos with when I am done.

Oh by the way any suggestions on a nice sweet sauce for these. My wife Sara likes a nice sweet BBQ sauce. I have made numerous sauces before but looking for new ideas. Thanks everyone.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/12/10 08:16:18
That's thinking out of the box, mixing pulled pork and beef together. Please continue with follow ups.

Thank you
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/12/10 20:08:41
Today I just did a Black Angus English cut chuck roast. Yesterday I rubbed the roast with The Spice House Red and Black pepper mix and seared it in some LBA (butter flavored canola oil or Liquid Butter Alternative; did the same with some potato's. I layered the bottom with two onions sliced, nestled the potato's along side with a few carrots. I added low sodium beef and chicken bouillon, Spice House Caribbean Calypso Rub, and two bottles of New Glarus Enigma beer. Turned it on low before leaving for work and came back to a meal that really, really was tasty. I should have taken pictures. There were no leftovers.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2007/12/21 10:31:38
Improvisor,
I am going to make this today, thanks for listing it.
I will post it later in the Misc Food section with photos.
I think that wide egg noodles shall suffice?
And do to my love of mushrooms, I think I shall add some more.

In fact, after that I think I shall make EngineCapts recipe for meatballs.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
""From improviser;

Like I said before, Sundays are crockpot days. This past Sunday I made Swedish Meatballs (although I'm sure actual Swedish meatballs don't involve two cans of Campbells soups.)

Frozen meatballs (one day I'll learn to make my own)
1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can of Golden Mushroom Soup
1 enevelope brown gravy mix
1 can of beef broth

Cook on high for three hours. Not bad. Our dog especially enjoyed the leftover gravy.""
----------------------------------------

improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/01/02 10:22:26
Made Salsa Soup yesterday.

2 pounds ground beef
46 oz. tomato juice (this is what the recipe calls for, I found it to be way too much, it filled my crockpot all the way to the top)
15 oz. can of carrots
15. oz can of corn
15. oz can of green beans
2 bay leaves
half a jar of mild salsa

Brown ground beef and drain. Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Simmer for at least 3 to 4 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.

I really liked this.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/01/05 11:48:49
Simple Crock Pot Chicken Stroganoff

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
16 ounces sour cream
1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
Place frozen chicken breasts on the bottom of the crock pot.
Mix the other ingredients together and pour over chicken breasts.
Cook on Low for about 7-8 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
Stir sauce before serving and if you would like to thicken sauce, add flour or cornstarch.
Serve over rice or noodles.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/01/05 17:05:02
Peel, core, chop up some apples
Throw in a few raisins
A bit of chopped nuts, too
How about some spices (cinnamon, etc)
Don't forget the RUM

Cook in crockpot for a while

Eat over plain yoghurt (or ice cream, cottage cheese, pound cake etc)

This is DELICIOUS
(and sorry about the vagueness, that's my kind of cooking - learned recipe-making from my Italian grandmother a fab cook)
Navy_Brat913
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/01/26 00:01:54
Pizza Soup

I only make this once or twice a year, but it's like pizza in a bowl, lol. Everyone raves about it, even though it's very basic and simple to make. It's easy to customize, just use your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.

1 1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce or pasta sauce
1 cup pepperoni, chopped
1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup cooked Italian sausage
1/4 teaspoon italian seasoning
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese

Add all but last 2 ingredients to slow cooker. Interchange toppings as desired. When placed in bowl (after cooking 4 hrs on high, 6-8 on low), top with cheeses. I serve with crusty bread and sauteed green peppers not cooked *with* the soup (I find the peppers overpower the soup).

Mix & match to your hearts content the *pizza* fixings and cheeses. But if you use a pizza sauce you really like, you're in for a treat.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/03/16 00:32:08
Last week I made up what I call Baked macaroni, some would probably call baked ziti. It consisted of 1lb elbow macaroni, 1.5 lbs of hamburger 2 lg cans of 4 cheese spaghetti sauce and 1 whole sweet onion sliced large and some fresh sliced mushrooms.

I boiled the macaroni, fried the meat and onion and near the end added the mushrooms. Once the macaroni was done I drained them and then tossed everything into the pot and added about 2 cups shredded cheese. Stirred it all together well and then poured it into my slow cooker.

Set the cooker on low and left it there for about 6 hours. When it was dinner time I took the pan out of the cooker. Added a layer of cheese and some Itialian seasoned bread crumbs. Put it under the broiler for about 5 minutes.

That was pretty good.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/03/16 00:45:28
Meat and gravy ala slow cooker;

Saturday morning when I got home from work I put ~1.5 cups of flour into a Ziploc bag and added quite a bit of spices. I then added about 1.5 lbs of stew meat and shook it all together. Browned the meat in some hot oil.

Repeated the above 2x. Once all the meat was browned I put it in the slow cooker and added 2 cans of beef broth and about a 1/4 cup of dried sliced onion. Set it to low and went to bed. When I got up 6 hours later I had a nice pot of tender tasty beef and some great gravy. Served that over egg noodles.

chefminyardee
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/05/04 12:43:16
Easy Pulled Pork
I use a Nesco roaster cause thats what we have but a crokpot is cool to.Take a frozen pork shoulder stuff it into the pot and add a generous amount of chopped garlic and salt and pepper.Open a can of chicken stock 16 or 32 oz what ever you think is enough.Turn roaster to 180 and let er go all night.Let it cool a bit and shred it.Throw it in abowl and refridgerate untill dinner time.Transfer it to a wok topper grill or cookie sheet.Put it on the BBQ with a smoke pouch,let the ends get a little bit crispy and soak up the smoke.Searve on you favorite buns with coleslaw and bbq sauce.
chefminyardee

turn on
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/06/09 12:34:21
There is only a few times a year that I accually drag out the large croc-pot. Today is one of those days temps in the high ninetys to hot to grill
or heat up the oven.
I did spark up my small charcoal grill this morning, early enough to piss off a neighbor. This was done to sear off a chuck roast for pot roast.
AS I was searing the beef off to the side I wrapped some whole onions and garlic to add to the pot.
Along with some seasonings and carrots and sundried tomatos will be dinner this evening. Chow Jim

I've deleted the comments, this is a recipe only thread. Comments not allowed folks. Here is Jim's comment only because it is pertinent and I could edit into the original post.

MikeS.
aleximoon
Hamburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/08/01 02:57:18
Chicken Curry Soup

1 10 3/4 oz. Can condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup water
2 tsp. Curry powder
1 1/4 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
2 Cups sliced Carrots
1 13 1/2 oz Can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into thin, bite-sized strips
1/2 Cup sliced green onions
chopped peanuts or toasted coconut (optional)

- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine soup and water. Stir in curry powder. Add the chicken and carrot to the cooker. Stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. If using high heat setting, turn to low. Stir in coconut milk, pepper, and green onions. cover and cook for 15 more minutes. If desired, garnish with peanuts and/or toasted coconut.

I like to serve it over hot basmati rice. Very tasty.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/11/26 06:10:25
Let's give this thread a boost with an oldie but goodie

i95
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/12/01 20:42:56
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

From Scarlett;

Pork Roast

Small whole sweet potatoes
One 3-pound pork roast
1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce (use the jelly if you don't like the seeds from the cranberries).
1 can (5.5 ounces) apricot nectar
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Place the potatoes in a 3 1/2-quart (or larger) slow cooker, then place the roast over the potatoes. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; mix well and pour over the roast. Cover and cook on the low setting for 5 to 6 hours. (check temp with meat thermomete) Remove the roast to a cutting board and thinly slice. Serve with the potatoes and sauce/gravy

I use a cooking bag made for slow cookers. I drain of the liquid into a sauce pan and while the roast is resting reduce and thicken the gravy.

I made this particular slow cooker recipe a couple of weeks ago and thank Scarlett for contributing the same as it was both flawless and delicious. The only modification I made was doubling the quantity of apricot nectar ensuring I had the proper level of liquid in my larger crockpot.

I couldn't recommend more!
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/12/07 00:30:59
Made a batch of beef/mushroom/barley soup (although it came out more like a stew!) in the crock pot today. It was a good day for it too, turns out; the temp never got over 40 degrees and it looks like we even got a light dusting of snow here.

I started with some beef short ribs, which I'd picked up at the grocery store Friday afternoon; they were on sale, so I knew I had to use them right away. I seasoned them with salt-free lemon pepper seasoning, then browned on all sides before setting into the crock pot. Next, I sauteed a whole box of white button mushrooms, all sliced up, along with a stalk of celery and one big white onion, sliced, in the same pan where I'd browned the meat. As that was cooking, I sliced up some fresh carrots, and mixed up a couple of cups of beef broth (sodium free), adding them to the crock pot. As soon as the mushroom/onion/celery mix was finished, I put that in the crock pot as well, then measured out 3/4 cup of medium barley (bigger than the pearl barley I'd been using) added that, put the lid on and set the pot for low.

I did check on it a couple of times, and added some seasoning about half way through, along with some frozen peas and carrots. I started it in the pot about 9:30 am and it was done by 3:30 PM.

It was some of the best soup/stew I've ever had, if I do say so myself! And there are leftovers enough for another meal, even better. Delicious and good for you. [:P]

4 beef short ribs, seasoned and browned in a bit of oil
after they're done, sautee:

1 whole onion sliced in crescents
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 box of button mushrooms, sliced

you can add garlic and whatever seasonings you like; I use salt-free lemon pepper and salt-free garlic herb blend (Mrs. Dash).

The beef ribs are in the crock pot, to which I added 2 cups of beef broth (no sodium) and 2 cups of water and some fresh carrots, sliced.

I added the finished onions/mushrooms and celery to the crock pot, then added:

3/4 cup of medium pearl barley

about 4 hours into cooking, add some frozen veggies, as desired; my choice was peas and carrots.

Then cover the pot and set it on low... let cook for 6 hours or so. I think I added another cup or two of water, as it thickened up considerably; I also tasted it and decided it needed a bit more seasoning. The short ribs made an excellent choice of beef for this, but I think I might try some oxtail next time. YUM!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/12/09 09:40:38
Some boneless country style pork ribs

Pile on sauerkraut with caraway seeds

A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Not even spell checker could do that one, had to get the bottle.

About six hours later

It’s not the most colorful or prettiest I’ve ever done. But it’s definitely the most tender and tastiest. The pork came apart
with a fork.

BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2008/12/16 16:52:45
I have played with this one for the better part of a year. Hope you enjoy.
Bill

Tomatoey Crock Pot Pasta E Fagioli

1/4 + lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 ½ carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained *
1(32 ounce) box of beef broth
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoons parsley (1 tablespoon)
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
1/2 20 ounce jar spaghetti sauce (That’s half the jar, or use 10 oz of your own sause.)
1cup tubular pasta (I like whole wheat.)

1. Brown beef in a skillet.
2. Drain fat from beef and add to crock-pot with everything except pasta and 10 of the 32 oz of beef broth.
3. Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
4. During last 30 min. add pasta and rest of beef broth.
* Note: Instead of high sodium canned beans: Soak 1 cup of dry beans overnight then simmer for 30 to 40 min. drain and add to crock pot mix.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/01/07 14:56:05
It being a cold and snowy day in the Louisville area today, we decided to make a crockpot of Ham and Bean Soup using our Hambone from the Xmas Holiday Ham. It is real simple meal in the pot and goes well on this sort of day !

We soaked one pound of white beans overnight last night, then drained them and added 8 cups of fresh water this morning. To the beans I added two medium Onions cut into fairly small pieces, The large ham-bone (it had quite a bit of clinging meat scraps atached), and small amounts of Celery Salt, Montreal Steak Pepper mix, Garlic Salt, and Minced Garlic. Later in the day I checked the "Saltiness" and added half a package of Onion Soup Mix to boost the broth a bit. Our Christmas Ham was one of the major brand spiral sliced city hams and was not overly salty...that helped keep the Soup fairly mild as well. A large chunk of Butter also added to the richness of the Broth. It has cooked in the Crockpot for about 6 hours and is just about done.  Here is the visual of the results.

post edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen - 2009/01/07 14:58:34
tarragon
Cheeseburger
Re:Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/02/22 00:06:12
I saw a slow cooker recipe packet in the store and decided to try it; it's put out by Slow Cooker Gourmet, made by Purely American foods. It was for Lewis and Clark lentil and sausage stew. What the package contained was a packet of assorted lentils (red, brown, green) and a packet of spices, which contained very little sodium. Fortunately, this was on a "10 for 10" sale, so only cost me $1. Everything else, I had to purchase separately! Here's the recipe, taken from the back of the package:

1 cup fresh carrots, chopped in slices
1 onion, chopped in slices
6 oz. smoked turkey sausage, quartered and sliced
1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
4 cups of water
1/4 cup fresh or frozen spinach, chopped.
and the lentils, which should be thoroughly rinsed and checked, and the package of spices

Directions:
Layer the carrots and onion evenly across the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer the sausage evenly over the carrots. Spread the lentils across the sausage, then add the chicken broth. Next, you sprinkle the spice package and some salt (if you desire). NOTE: I'm uncertain what all was in the spice packet but it was definitely dried onions and celery, black pepper, garlic and a bay leaf. Next, pour 4 cups of water over all, put the lid on the crock pot, and set it to cook on low for 4-6 hours.

15 minutes before serving, add the spinach, stirring it into the crockpot. Continue cooking on low; the stew should thicken a bit as it cools.

(sorry, forgot about the spinach! LOL)

We served it over a bit of rice and added some plain yogurt (which I use like sour cream) and a bit of shredded cheddar jack cheese.  It was pretty tasty to me, actually. 

Some personal notes: I used the turkey/chicken sausage that had sun dried tomatoes in it, which definitely added to the taste. The onion is my addition too. Slow Cooker Gourmet in addition recommends that if you are in a "hard" water area, to soak the lentils overnight, with a bit of baking soda, to make sure that they cook. Our water is a bit hard and I have to say that I agree with that recommendation; I wish that I had soaked them too, and normally lentils don't require soaking! I also think that I would just have one type of lentil, rather than a mixture; it was sure hard to see if there were any stones in there, with the brown ones, to be honest!

post edited by tarragon - 2009/02/22 00:19:16
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/03/13 17:59:19
I just made this up, am am delightfully shocked about how easy and delicious it is!

Crockpot Choucoutre (of sorts)

Pork strips
Cabbage (used bag cut to make cole slaw)
Carrots
White Raisins
Sweet/spicy mustard
1/2 cup water 

Mix it up, cook it up, eat. yum. 

Could also add some bacon, maybe pre-cooked sausage, caraway seed, whatever.

Oh, drink with a bottle of German or Alsatian beer (or a riesling might be good), (or pour in the crockpot, too)
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/03/13 18:03:46
NYNM

I just made this up, am am delightfully shocked about how easy and delicious it is!

Crockpot Choucoutre (of sorts)

Pork strips
Cabbage (used bag cut to make cole slaw)
Carrots
White Raisins
Sweet/spicy mustard
1/2 cup water 

Mix it up, cook it up, eat. yum. 

Could also add some bacon, maybe pre-cooked sausage, caraway seed, whatever.

Oh, drink with a bottle of German or Alsatian beer (or a riesling might be good), (or pour in the crockpot, too)

Oh, or throw in some apple slices...
ferretface
Junior Burger
Re:Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/07/02 14:00:20
BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
4-6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked & shredded
1 bottle hot sauce/wing sauce 12oz.
2 packages cream cheese, 8 oz.
1 Hidden Valley Dressing envelope,  prepared (16 oz)
1 ½ cup chopped celery
8 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese or Cheddar Cheese, grated
Combine the shredded chicken with the entire bottle of hot sauce, spreading to make an even layer in the bottom of an oval crockpot. In a saucepan, combine the cream cheese, celery and ranch dressing over medium heat until smooth. Pour evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Heat on low a couple of hours & serve with celery sticks & crackers.

Crock-pot Angel Chicken
Throw the following ingredients into crock-pot:
5-6 large frozen Chicken breasts, or equivalent chicken tenders (Don't need to thaw first. Can use fresh if you want, but I love this recipe because you can just throw things from your freezer into your crockpot!)

1 small tub or block of cream cheese
1 can Campbell's golden mushroom soup  (If you use cream of chicken or something it's not at all the same. This is something I wouldn't substitute unless you have a 'shroom allergy.)
1 packet Italian dressing mix  (just the powder, don't mix it with anything)
1/2 cup white cooking wine or chicken broth
1/4 stick butter
a drizzle of canola oil

Cook in crock on low all day or high about 4 hours. Serve over angel hair pasta or rice.

Crockpot Venison (or steak)
In a crock pot place enough venison for the family. Cover with 1 can of “Golden Mushroom Soup” and 1 envelope “Lipton Onion soup Mix.” Cook for 9 to 10 hours on low. Serve with mashed potatoes. The sauce makes a great gravy.
rainyday6
Hamburger
Re:Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/11/30 05:23:58
Black Bean Soup

10-12 oz dried black bean, picked over and rinsed
1 yellow onion, 1 carrot, 2 celery stalks, 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
4 slices raw bacon
1 T each chopped garlic, cumin seed, chili powder and cocoa powder
1 bay leaf

Cover with water and cook on low until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.  Fish out large chunks of veg/bacon.  Discard bay leaf.  Puree chunks with some beans and add back to soup.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Good with flour tortillas.
UncleVic
Sirloin
Re:Favorite crockpot recipes, recipes ONLY. 2009/12/05 12:26:23

Saw this in the paper. Something simple and the only reason I'm adding it is for the sauce recipe.. Gives ya something to work with.

Meatballs

1/2 pound hamburger
1/2 pound ground pork
1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard

Combine hamburg, pork, cracker crumbs, eggs and salt and pepper. Roll into balls. Brown.

Combine sauce ingredients. Place in slow cooker with meatballs. Cook on high about 2 hours.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2